[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Abstract Algebra so much more fun than any kind of Analysis
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6
File: maxresdefault.jpg (59 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
59 KB, 1280x720
Why is Abstract Algebra so much more fun than any kind of Analysis class?
>>
>>7745970
Algebra is boring and only exists to be used as a tool in other branches of math.
>>
>>7746001
wew lad

>>7745970
because it's the only math you feel deep inside there is an application to
>>
>>7745970
I'd prefer it if abstract algebra was taught the same way as general topology.

General topology teaches students to reason about topologies in general instead of a narrow handful of pretty cases. For instance a student of general topology has to be capable of creating topologies to satisfy any type of criteria off the top of their head as opposed to regurgitating some named topology they memorized as an example at some point.

On the other hand, in an abstract algebra class students never try to construct any weird groups/rings by hand or build an intuition about the general case. Instead they only look at modulo groups, groups of prime orders, and a small handful of named examples of groups and similarly for rings. Worse still the entire class is eventually just geared at studying polynomials because of muh quintic polynomial meme.

All of the interesting bits of algebra are covered in category theory anyways.
>>
>>7745970
>He doesn't find analysis fun

Nigga what?
>>
File: 1437752860749.jpg (35 KB, 341x347) Image search: [Google]
1437752860749.jpg
35 KB, 341x347
>groups and rings
>fun
>>
>>7745970
>matrix arithmetic

Why the fuck is this even Linear Algebra classes? It annoys me so much. Applied matrix manipulations are for retards.
>>
It's because you've never taken any kind of functional analysis class.
>>
>>7745970
Hard analysis is boring as fuck
>>
>>7745970
I was like you until I became a graduate student. Applications of analysis do get both important and cool, check out automorphic forms
>>
>>7746074
this. If your AA class had to illustrate ring properties with examples from the reals, you went to a shit tier school.
>>
>>7745970

because you have to go through the hazing of baby analysis to get to the fun papa analysis
>>
>>7746175
>>7746074

You're not impressing anyone
>>
>>7746043
I agree with this.

I felt like there was all this good theory behind algebra lurking under the surface and everything we did just fell short.

It felt like a loose connection of random problems and theorems with no depth or understanding.

Analysis was like 3 ideas just applied in a lot of different circumstances.

Topology was literally one of the easiest classes I've had, it was literally just analysis if you weren't retarded.
>>
>abstract algebra

Probably because you and your autistic friends were the last people there doing it after everyone dropped out.

Analysis has some practical credibility as it is required to understand Financial Maths at the bleeding edge which is why it is taken seriously even in grad school and isn't some meme circlejerk which resembles a humanities course for aspies.
>>
File: suffering_keiki.png (150 KB, 366x362) Image search: [Google]
suffering_keiki.png
150 KB, 366x362
>>7746073
>groups
>not fun
>>
File: solve (2).jpg (157 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
solve (2).jpg
157 KB, 1280x720
>>7746080
This
>>
>>7746761
Abstract algebra is very useful for computer science
>>
>>7745970
But it isn't.

A typical algebra question is just showing that some object has some property.

With calculus it's possible to pose an interesting question, like what is the shape of the slope that you can slide from a point X1 to a point x2 with some horizontal displacement z from X1 and X1 being higher than x2 such that the particle takes the shortest time to slide between them?

Or what is the optimal policy for crossing a river at point A to get to a point on the opposite shore B where the river is length y , the swimmer can run across the bank at speed v and swim at speed u in any direction but there is a current which is a stochastic process acting on the swimmer that is a function of how far across the river the swimmer is.

These are the kinds of questions you can answer with calculus. Questions that actually mean something and require significant problem solving skill

As opposed to "Hurr show that this group is semi-abelian" "Hurr show that if an object has property x and property y then it has property z"
>>
>>7746080
But functional analysis isn't analysis. It is just infinite dimensional linear algebra.
>>
File: 1421441325242.jpg (109 KB, 892x691) Image search: [Google]
1421441325242.jpg
109 KB, 892x691
>>7745970
>>
>>7746930
This is incredibly short-sighted. AA is by far less developed than Analysis, because where Analysis has been around since the 17th century, AA is only now being developed in the 20th century.

Yet, already we are seeing great results and applications with modern algebra. I am going to guess that in the next 100 years modern algebra will have an even bigger role in mathematics, especially in the undergraduate level.
>>
File: 1448715100783.gif (2 MB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1448715100783.gif
2 MB, 500x500
So is AA a meme or not?
>>
>>7746930
>interesting question
>what does this meaningless graph look like
>how fast does this made up bullshit happen
LOL
>>
>>7746930
I can tell you're an undergrad because you talk about calculus instead of analysis. And if you knew anything about mathematics you would understand that algebra is crucial to almost every kind of interesting material in analysis.
>>
>>7746931
But anon, analysis isn't analysis either. It's just topology with measure.
>>
>>7746881
This, but unfortunately its not a requirement for CS at my school (or most schools, from what I hear). I mean, I think they learn about modular arithmetic and the rules around it, but its all just remainders of division by integers to them; they don't think in terms of residue classes, or harness the bidirectional power of congruences
>>
>>7746043
This is generally true if you take a mediocre algebra course at your university. My honors algebra courses were much different than this. For the non mathematician-such as yourself, does it really matter? Take the harder course my friend and you will find algebra is the true creativity and construction.
>>
>>7746043
>P groups don't give information about the general case
>What are the sylow theorems

>Studying polynomials doesn't give information about the general case
>What is the fundamental theorem of Galois theory

Could go on t.b.h. f.a.m.
>>
>>7746761
>Financial maths
>Relevant

Enjoy your empty life of money laced with no academic fulfillment
>>
>>7746930
see >>7748278, your examples are idiotic even if you think you have a point
>>
>>7748280
>I can tell you're an undergrad
>lel basic calc applications to high school level physics is somehow more interesting or deeper than rings and fields
You're giving him too much credit [math]\mathcal{senpai}[/math]
>>
>>7748556
>empty life of money laced with no academic fulfillment
Basically the clandestine chemistry life right there
>>
>>7748513
>>7748553
>Big talk
Quick, give me a group of order 12 that is not abelian, not the alternating group A_4 and not the dihedral group D_6.
>>
>>7748247
Why are memes such a meme nowadays even on /sci/? Why does /sci/ tolerate all this dumb frogposting?
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.