[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You're Not Bad At Math, You're Just Lazy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
What is wrong with this video and way of thinking?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg0Z--pmPog
>>
Everythiiiing... You have to like math to actually get good at it, just like any sport. Ofcourse you can call yourself not a math person because you sometimes can't understand it. Sometimes you understand just the basics. There are somethings the dude says that is true but overall it's all wrong
>>
It's kind of over simplified. There are a lot of things that effect what makes someone "good" at math. I do think his core point, that anyone can get good at math, is largely correct (barring actual problems with the brain, like being too senile or having particular mental disabilities). I think it does a bad job of actually explaining why some people are bad at math, and others are good. There are a lot of reason that are more complex than just laziness. There are two which matter a lot which come to mind right now:
1) Who's teaching you, especially in the beginning before you can teach yourself effectively. If any of the first math teachers are bad, or encourage bad habits (like memorizing instead of understanding), then you'll have a lot of problems in the future.
2) Some people are able to pick things up more quickly, than others. This comes down to both innate mental ability, and also prior exposure to mathematical things. This again matters most in the beginning, its easier for someone to get lost in the beginning and have no real way of picking up the pieces on their own.
>>
>>7735604
But he is talking in a general sense. Math is segragated for the geniuses and the cold calculative people because that's what we present. Kids want to explore discover be challenged, but we make them do 20 problems in their home then 5/10 problems in their exams and tata math.
>>
>>7735386
B-BUT THAT'S WRONG!!! I'M A SPECIAL LITTLE SNOWFLAKE WHO IS EXTREMELY INTELLIGENT!! ME BEING REALLY GOOD AT MATH PROVES THAT!!!111
>>
File: auauau.jpg (171 KB, 1699x1130) Image search: [Google]
auauau.jpg
171 KB, 1699x1130
>What is wrong with this video
Not much.

People are more inclined to blame conditions(genetics, relatives, friends, weather, food, mood etc) rather than blame their Actions, Choices, and themselves. People are more inclined to feel anger and hate rather than a Daily Remorse, a repent. If they think of themselves as unfixable, than they will have an excuse to stay like that and fuck around all day. You can see how aggressive the replies against this video are.

There is one thing though. The guy in this video is a lazy faggot himself. He doesn't study math for shit. So you might avoid raging on that.
>>
>>7735386

no one is bad at Math, your notation just sucks

learning lisp made me understand mathematics better than your eurocentric chicken scratch ever could
>>
>>7735386

I don't need to be good at math because I study engineering. Sure I could practice math problems 20 hours a day so I can be as good as Terry Tao, but I can still get a high salary with only a bachelors with my engineering degree.
>>
>>7735996

Depends on your definition of "good at math"

Could you become the next Terry Tao by doing IMO problems for 16 hours a day.

Could the average person be able to get an A in calculus or linear algebra with enough studying? Probably.
>>
>>7736067
>your notation just sucks
that is extremely true.
there are so many symbols with usage conflicts, operators presented as some kind of abstract bullshit, etc.

What is math? You define a number of symbols and symbol groups with certain properties.
You manipulate the said symbols using their properties and you end up with more properties, symbols and symbol groups.

If ever chose to get into mathematics (aka withdraw from the real world and practical needs of humanity), I would write a book without any text, just images of symbols, building up from simple numbers and arithmetic to complex mathematics. I might go through with it when I retire.
>>
File: no.png (11 KB, 178x65) Image search: [Google]
no.png
11 KB, 178x65
I don't like him and I don't like his attitude.
>You're just lazy.
Or you just don't get the same opportunities in life as the faggy-looking son of some Cuban doctor who was smuggled into the country in a Dos Equis truck-load. Not everyone can afford to go to college, and while that's not this asshole's fault, he hardly has any business feeling superior to some poor bastard who's digging ditches or wrapping wire.

Also, this is wrong.
>>
>>7735386
To get good at math means understanding previous concepts thrown at you.
>>
Do you know why most math nerds don't learn construction and go work as a welder in North Dakota making big bucks? Obviously it's because they are lazy.
>>
>>7736051
Thank you anon, you motivate me to get up out of bed and do some math.
>>
>>7735386
>lol anyone can learn math
>just believe in urself ecksdee

Bullshit.

Some people are just dumb as rocks and will never learn to do anything of significance, like people who major in humanities

Someone with an 80 IQ could potentially do theoretical physics at any point in their life, if they just work enough? Come on.
>>
Frankly I didn't give much of a shit about "real" math until grad school because I didn't think about problems that could make much use of it. Just starting to learn differential geometry now due to interests in statistical mechanics.
>>
>>7735386
It is true that you need to do a lot of mathematics to get good at it but that dpes not mean everyone can.

>you are not bad at swimming, you're just lazy
>>
>>7740462
People with an IQ of 80 are just people who never exercise their mind and problem solving abilities. If given enough time and study a person of IQ 80 could learn theoretical physics, with all the necessary prerequisite subjects, and then when they retake an IQ test they would find there IQ to be much higher, like 120 or something.

I've always thought of the idea of natural ability to kind of be ridiculous. Take an athlete who is seen to have a natural ability for a sport even though they are just a beginner. If you look into that athlete's past life, you will most definitely find that they were very active children who had parents that encouraged sports and competition. It's not very likely that he was a fatass that played video games and ate cheetos all day.
>>
I'd say this holds true until the end of a undergraduate general mathematics program. To be 'good' at primary school to middle school mathematics all you have to do is memorize and be able to repeat simple calculations. After that it's just a matter of becoming familiar with the concepts and doing hundreds of questions.
Honestly I just think that 99% of people are incredibly lazy.
>>
>>7740494
Then if it is a matter of early exercise of the mind, by the time most people are old enough to realize they're stupid, its too late to realistically make up the loss in progress, like a wage scar
>>
>>7740537
I don't think it's too late necessarily. It just takes a lot of time and effort which most people with I! 80 don't have available when working 40 hours a week at walmart.

It's better to start making up the ground when you first realise it than to just give up and be fucked.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.