[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does free will exist? Pic unrelated
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
Does free will exist?

Pic unrelated
>>
Please be more specific, your question is to ambiguous for me to answer
>>
Depends on how you define free will.

A hard determinist would define it as "you have a choice without a cause", which is a no, because casualty is pretty much what underpins all of existence as we know it.

A soft determine would say that free a free act is one which doesn't rely on any causes outside of the one doing the action. From this definition, free will exists and casualty is preserved.

A libertarian perspective would say that you do and relies on the the braking of casualty and conservation of energy, and what that guy on Sixty Symbols refers to as "quantum physics woo".
>>
>>7739125
If the universe somehow exactly returned to a prior state, would the history of the universe be cyclic?
>>
>>7739125
No
>>
>>7739125
Yes
>1730 God created man a rational being, conferring on him the dignity of a person who can initiate and control his own actions. "God willed that man should be 'left in the hand of his own counsel,' so that he might of his own accord seek his Creator and freely attain his full and blessed perfection by cleaving to him." [GS 17; Sir 15:14.]
>>Man is rational and therefore like God; he is created with free will and is master over his acts.[St. Irenaeus, Adv. haeres. 4,4,3:PG 7/1,983.]
>http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s1c1a3.htm
>>
File: 1449459129435_2.png (139 KB, 498x500) Image search: [Google]
1449459129435_2.png
139 KB, 498x500
>>7739125
Define it.

As a whole, no. Our existence is, as far as can be observed, built on a foundation of immutable slavery. You can build whatever you like, but this foundation will likely remain as it started.

Our perception of affordance and will is itself a purely mechanical process. And we can't break what the universe will allow. If there is a creator, and we are made in its image, then clearly it is a flawed one and thus we are flawed beings as well. Or, we are part of this being. As are the rocks, stars, planets. Things we don't identify as things. Whatever.

Really a pointless and banal question. You experience yourself making choices, therefore, you're making choices. But what if it isn't a choice? Then what is it to be TRULY making a choice? We don't know. We can't tell. You can't tell. You don't know what a freer free will than you presently possess would or should look like. You can only imagine various degrees of ethereal or Godlike existences, which may or may not be directly meaningful to the desired answered.

I understand why it's asked, but I get so sick of this question. Try to figure out the nature of the universe. Keep the rest of this shit to yourself.
>>
>>7739125
Ignore all these other faggots. The answer is free will does not exist.
>>
>>7739125
Yes, because we can do whatever we please. No because we are tied to fears, codes, obligations, needs and such.
>>
>>7739307
>whatever we please
Can we freely choose what pleases us, what gives us pleasure?
>>
>>7739321
Well, rapists and stuff.
>>
>>7739125
you act on your own choice, but what your choice is has been predetermined from the beginning.
>>
>>7739321
Yes. Whether you like it or not, with enough work, you can.

Have a nice rest of your life living with this miserable burden of a truth. Same with memory. You can bury whatever you want so deeply even you might never find it again. If not outright scrub it. Your personality, perception, and history, is largely your's to shape. Not entirely, but to a large degree.
>>
>>7739330
>Not entirely
So, that's a no?
>>
>>7739125
Only for certain people. You and I aren't among them.
>>
>>7739338
On what, free will?

I already said it likely isn't by any reasonable definition. Attaching a picture about how I, and everyone else here, will never get to kill OP.
>>
>>7739125
Not a question of science, but of philosophical interpretation. Anyone saying anything else is retarded.
>>
>>7739391
It is a question of physics. See >>7739219
>>
>within the limitations of the universe, I (everything) am free.
>>
>>7739408
Aka a slave, my neb.
>>
>>7739412
freedom within a system, so yes and no. god people are still having dick measuring contests about this nonsensical bullshit. people should just learn void magick and commit deicide.
>>
>>7739419
Well let's take this potted plant to the woods and set it free. I'm going to tell the owners just how nice that was of me.

I could buy myself a reason, I could sell myself a job. I could hang myself on treason, oh I am my own damn God. AhahahahahHAH!
>>
this thread is ass.
>>
>>7739431
Sounds like how I perceive ur mum.
>>
>>7739433
but you're my mum, are you not?
>>
>>7739437
Yes... )^;
>>
>>7739440
and this is how you perceive yourself. is it a culmination of past experiences and stimuli that leads you to this deduction, or is it because you have detached yourself from yourself, thus being able to objectively see you from a different position. or is it something more, something that humans in our current evolutionary state are unable to comprehend...thus this question of freewill and determinism is in all irrelevant, possibly a device to occupy ourselves from ourselves by looking at ourselves.
>>
>>7739431
>>7739433
>>7739437
>>7739440
>>7739464
>>>/b/
>>
>>7739472
you're not my real mom. fucking add something to this thread.
>>>/out/
>>
>>7739464
Nah. We all on some level desire to better understand what we are, and what we do.

"What am I able to do."
"By what means do I do anything."
"How'd I do that."
Etc.

Detaching from myself to see from another perspective isn't really possibly. I, and everything I see, is me. I avoid this fact, and view stimuli from the external environment as foreign and spurring actions that yield reactions (and this being the bridge between me and it, where one ends and the other begins), but it isn't really the truth. My entire awareness, including the concept of stimuli, originates from my "mind". They're all ideas processed by whatever this things actually is. I'm not actually seeing anything, nor am I ever stepping into anyone's perspective. I'm just simulating what I think their viewpoint is via theory of mind. Trying to create and simulate them in me, is still, all, just me.

It doesn't matter about free will. I already know I will kill OP for starting this thread, so all is lost. But the matter of determinism is entirely different. That's about the nature of all things. Free will pales to something much grander from such a perspective. Man, it's asking how the machine works,
>>
>>7739485
Wow, what the fuck. I'm really beginning to fall asleep here, this is barely comprehensible.

For the record, that's supposed to be "won't" kill OP. So if OP dies and somehow this thread turns up in an investigation, plz don't arrest me. OP's intelligence relative to his environment is a bigger threat than me.
>>
>>7739125
Free will is like magic, as a pure idea doesn't exist - we are all robots, but on the other hand what robots can do is seriously underestimated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-Nj_rEqkyQ
>>
>>7739125
No. Everything you think or do is determined by your brain chemistry, which is determined by genetics and environment, not you.
>>
As long as you can identify everything with a mathematical process, no.
Technically, everything can be reduced to a mathematical process so you litteraly can't escape the math, no question.
Just think about it. You can't even think to get yourself out of the math, how can someone be completely free if there are "rules" that can't be broken?
Sorry for my poor english.
>>
no, everything you have done and ever will do is already predetermined by the state of every atom in the universe at any given time.

In theory it is possible to calculate everything that will ever happen in our universe
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.