[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>lol ur such a faget 4 studying mathematics >shuld hav
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: 2013-08-10 20.00.08.png (443 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
2013-08-10 20.00.08.png
443 KB, 640x960
>lol ur such a faget 4 studying mathematics
>shuld hav done engayneering like we smarties!

This is so funny. I was just now looking into the graduate school requirements for my 'sister' university that gives out engineering titles instead of license titles. I found out that most of them accept my degree and are 1 year long.

So let me get this straight.
Path of the engineer:
>5 year degree
>Graduate with the title of engineer

Path of the mathematician engineer:
>4 year degree
>graduate with a license in mathematics
>1 year masters degree
>graduate with a masters in engineering
>5 years
>Licensed Mathematician and Certified Engineer

The masters literally guarantees that I would be your boss if I were to take this route. So what is up with the hate? It is the smarter way to do it.

But even then I won't do engineering.. It is simply not attractive to me.

What is YOUR excuse?
>>
>>7732476
>>5 year degree
what shit university is that?
All the engineering degrees ive ever seen are 4 years

>The masters literally guarantees that I would be your boss if I were to take this route
no it doesn't, an engineer with a masters and no work experience almost never gets a job. the couple of people I know who did this were turned away because they are 'overqualified' for the positions available in their experience bracket.
>>
>>7732498
>4 years
The engineer curriculums I saw included a 9th semester that mostly had to do with law and business related to engineering. So it is not a 5th year entirely they still have to do it.

>overqualified
That is probably the one negative point of doing this. However I've seen that most people considered overqualified actually are PhDs. I mean, companies know that a masters is no more than an extra year. They can hire you without you expecting a huge raise in the salary, contrary to PhDs that can be an 8 year endeavor and will obviously demand to be paid much more.

I think that a masters is pretty safe. I think it is all about doing good in the interviews and you will likely be chosen over regular engineers.
>>
Once you've seen the beauty of physics or maths you can't ever become an engineer it's not possible
>>
>>7732476
>I have to validate my major to anonymous people online

guaranteed virgin
>>
File: Degree requirements.jpg (59 KB, 707x111) Image search: [Google]
Degree requirements.jpg
59 KB, 707x111
>>7732476
You idiot anime poster...

It's because only bachelor degrees are accredited with the Washington accord. And in rare exceptions schools like ICL with a 5 year bachelor+masters programme master degrees are also accredited.

Postgraduate engineering degrees are for specialization, it does not allow for registration as a professional engineer. Only BEng or BSc in engineering (by documentation in the Accord, the undergraduate degree must contain the word "engineering").

Pic related is a cutout from a brochure from my department. Depending on the specialization chosen, the MSc degree does the same coursework after some remedial courses depending on background as MEng (usually the same exams too, however, MSc exams are less math heavy so they are allowed to skip a few difficult math questions such as PDEs meant for engineers), the difference being that only the MEng is seen as a "post graduate degree for professional engineers".

In fact, the reason they stopped allowing you to choose whether your degree says MEng/MSc in the first place (though engineering students can still choose MSc, I don't know why'd they'd want to though) is because technologist (BTech) and scientists BSc thought that getting a postgrad from our department would allow them to register as a PE just like you are now.

You are being deceived, they want you to lab/code monkey for them for a year, it will mean nothing to you.

>So what is up with the hate? It is the smarter way to do it.
No, the smartest way to do it is to get your undergrad in engineering, and the do science/math/whatever you want for postgrad as this will allow you to earn far more in any career -including academic careers since most institutions have a 40% salary bump for professional engineers because of their earning potential in industry.

So you just work slightly harder in undergrad, take some boring non-STEM courses in law/business/econ, and in return you open far more doors for yourself with a BEng master race.
>>
>>7732476
Also
>The masters literally guarantees that I would be your boss if I were to take this route.
No, sadly that's not how the industry works at all. One of the PhD graduates in control engineering here is currently working under a BEng holder that's YOUNGER than him in the energy sector.
>>
File: 1437676957677.gif (485 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
1437676957677.gif
485 KB, 500x300
>>7732593

Thanks for explaining that. I'm about to start a MEng. Just finished my CMPE undergrad. Might try and get my CCNA and CSSP or something too.

I wanna be a SoC network oriented developer. Had two great co-ops with a telecom company, now I'm realizing I'd rather work for their suppliers.
>>
>>7732498
>no it doesn't, an engineer with a masters and no work experience almost never gets a job. the couple of people I know who did this were turned away because they are 'overqualified' for the positions available in their experience bracket.
Jup, the only way you'd get a job is if you were doing engineering internships during your undergrad. I've seen so many engineering graduates who couldn't find a job because of lack of experience who do grad-school thinking it will help their prospects and it only ever makes their situation worse while those who got job offers in the first place are hired into the same jobs after their M.
>>
>>7732567
There's nothing beautiful about tools.

>muh platonic autism

I'd prefer designing my own REAL world beauty thank you.
>>
>>7732599
Yes, get those certs anon, I've seen some really insane 6 figure salaries for really cosy jobs.
>>
>>7732593
>It's because only bachelor degrees are accredited with the Washington accord

Glad I'm not from the US. Seriously, that just sounds like some desperate move to make sure that the market is secure for engineers by not allowing outsiders to come in. That is ridiculous.

If you earn a masters in engineering you should be able to do your job.

I went back to see the specifics. Saw that the 4 year degree grants you the title of 'License in Engineering' and the masters grants you the title of ' Masters in Engineering'. Then I googled laws regarding this and found nothing that would prevent someone without the 'License' but with the 'Masters' to do their job. All limitations all found were on immigrants.

Other than that, what I saw is that some engineerings (like Mechanical and Chemical) are more restrictive in the degree you must have to qualify. For example, the mechanical asked exclusively for people with mechanical engineering background. But many others like Civil and Industrial said that 'Exact Science' degrees are accepted and guess what the faculty that teaches mathematics is called.

Anyways, keep shining bright america. Retarded restrictions to inflate the ego of your engineers. Glad I don't have to deal with that shit.
>>
>>7732593

In ee at least, literally no one cares unless your developing power distribution systems and even then you can get PE licenses in most states with a masters.
>>
>>7732619
>Glad I'm not from the US.
I'm not.

I'm from the UK and I was speaking about how it works in the entire commonwealth (including Canada, Australia etc. and the third world colonies that are accreditted). I used PE instead of CE because I assumed you were American.

>Seriously, that just sounds like some desperate move to make sure that the market is secure for engineers by not allowing outsiders to come in. That is ridiculous.

No, it's for consumer protection and public safety. A post grad degree is not an adequate education in engineering.

>If you earn a masters in engineering you should be able to do your job.
Why the fuck are you talking about a discipline you know nothing about? That's completely wrong. That's like assuming you can do surgery after completing a biology degree.

>'License in Engineering'
This is not an international engineering title and I wonder if 'Masters in Engineering' allows you the same privileges.

Sounds like your country is not a Washington Accord signatory. You probably don't have real professional engineers that is equivalent to International standards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Accord#Signatories
>>
>>7732630
Except the CPA prevents you from even putting the word "engineer" on your business card if you don't have your PE:
http://sce.uhcl.edu/helm/SWEBOK_IEEE/papers/10%20reprint%205.pdf

Have fun with your fines and potential jail time if you try it.

We all know that there is unprofessional engineering jobs that even technologists can do. That's not the point, it's low salaried pleb work that no one cares about and is often filled with people like OP and failed engineers.
>>
>>7732642

Lol, fortunately in my state even an as can get a PE so it's a nonissue.

You're really grasping at straws desu, muh washington acord, muh cpa, muh bs in engineering makes me so special.
>>
>>7732648
>I live in a backwater state doing technologist work.
>I am proud of this fact.

No one cares faggot. We're talking about real engineering. Try working with an aa in a relevant state for a non-loser tech company.

There's nothing more pathetic than people like you who try to drag others down instead of building yourself up and aspiring to more.
>>
>>7732650

I didn't know the westcoast was backwater and tech companies literally do not care about PE.

Sorry you have been sold a bill of goods, ur engineering bs isn't actually that important.
>>
>>7732652
Unless you happen be in Silicon valley, yes it absolutely is and you are working for a loser company that no one cares about.

You probably don't even have an R&D branch.

In fact I'd bet my left ball that you don't.
>>
>muh primes
>>
>>7732635
>you can do surgery after completing a biology degree

No. It would be like if a doctor wanted to teach high school biology. Of course he fucking can.

And the rest of what you said does not apply to me but thank you so that I can remember never to travel to those shit holes. Well, I already 'banned' myself from Canada and the UK because of the SJW craze but heres another good reason.
>>
File: Majors Venn.png (20 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Majors Venn.png
20 KB, 800x600
>>7733181
And you'd know all about teaching high-school wouldn't you?

>shit holes
Literally has all the first world countries with an engineering industry except for Germany who begged to get in, but was too shit.

Alright so let me get this straight. Not only are you an arrogant delusional little shitstain, but you're arguing from a country that's so shitty at STEM that it doesn't even produce engineers on an international standard that can stand its own to the big boys?

Why are you even on /sci/?

Literally Malaysians are impressive STEM graduates than you.

Enjoy killing yourself in whatever non-STEM related job you end up in (read: literally teaching high-school) like all Math majors graduating from shit-tier universities.
>>
>>7732607
>implying anything is real
>>
>>7732476

Ok I just want to point out to anyone unsure of what to study that STEM is actually a meme.

Not to say you won't get a job when you graduate, but companies generally look for really talented people. If you are for instance a mechanic engineering major and you're seriously struggling with the material but manage to graduate with a 2.0 GPA or something, it's probably, at least in my opinion, unlikely you'll get a job.

And it depends on the STEM major too. If you get a BSc in biology or something, you will struggle to find a job.

And be realistic about salaries. Very, very rarely will a company offer you a 6 figure starting salary unless you can demonstrate your genius. But for engineering grads I think 50-70k is realistic
>>
oh boy another assrumpled thread about how engineering sucks from a math major, colour me surprised.

are you really this insecure that you constantly need to reference another completely unrelated degree to feel like you're not wasting your life? because that's what it looks like to a neutral observer.

Math majors on /sci/ have to be some of the most aggressively buttdevastated people on the planet to keep bringing this shit up over and over and over again.
>>
>>7732476
>5year degree
it's usually a 4 year degree
>Graduate with title of engineer
untrue you need to get work experience under a P. Eng before you can get your own P. Eng
>graduate with a M.Eng
>implying M. Eng degree are accredited
>>
>>7732476
My favorite threads on /sci/ are the ones where assravaged math majors try to justify their shitty degree with shitty job prospects while simultaneously lashing out in jealousy at engineers :^)
>>
>>7733198
Nice meme picture. Obviously made by a buttblasted engineer. I could easily open paint, draw a big circle and then type "Math" in the middle and laugh like a fucking idiot, just like you did when you saw that picture thinking it was so good you actually saved it.

Anyways, my original criticism was misguided. I assumed that you were all REALLY fucking stupid. I now know that you are just fucking stupid. I'm sure there must be a way to get legal accreditation if you have a masters. If there wasn't that would just be too funny and I would laugh at your countries every single day but reality is not that much of a joke.

>non-STEM related job.
In my first year summer I got a paid internship in a software company. In my second year I got another paid internship but now in a civil engineering company. I could have also gone back to the software company but I wanted my experience to be from diverse backgrounds.

The 'no stem jobs' meme is such a meme that I can't help but laugh at you.

>>7733393
I said nothing about engineering sucking. Looks like you are projecting. Are you sure that you are not the one who thinks it suck? I just said that my related degree in mathematics would allow me to jump in later if I so desired. That was all.

>>7733400
>untrue you need to get work experience under a P. Eng before you can get your own P. Eng
Good to know that. Then a math major can graduate with a M. Eng, do a year or so of entry level jobs and then get his own legal title.

>>7733416
>shitty degree
Probably the more diverse degree in terms of the kind of math you see.
>shitty job prospects
Jobs everywhere from education to software to finance to everywhere you fucking look.

Stay mad engays.
>>
>>7732476
so what university are you going to
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.