[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is "is a meme" a meme? e.g. "Mechatronics engineering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: FlowChartPage01.jpg (115 KB, 738x940) Image search: [Google]
FlowChartPage01.jpg
115 KB, 738x940
Is "is a meme" a meme? e.g. "Mechatronics engineering = meme engineering", "Math = meme degree", etc.
>>
>>7733205
It's a meme that started on /qa/, but it's also not a meme in the sense that it's just vernacular and most people mean that X is shit when they say "X is a meme".

Ex. Mechatronics is a meme because it fails at its intended purpose to be multi-disciplinary or educate it's students in either Mechanical or Electrical engineering, so much so that the majority of mechatronic work and research is still performed by people in the traditional disciplines while mechatronics graduates end up in unprestigious mechanical jobs or things outside engineering entirely.

Math is a meme because most graduates teach high-school or become an IT bitch instead of working in the field.
>>
A meme is just something people repeat without much thought, mathematics is a meme degree because when somebody asks the best degree they just answer mathematics. It is like answering "install gentoo", it doesn't mean that mathematics are bad, just that it has become a meme on /sci/
>>
>>7733220
It's also a meme in the sense that people are trying to "trick" you into doing it by repeatedly recommending it.

Installing Gentoo is a meme because only autists can get through that arduous process and the OS is not worth all that effort and just not a very good Linux distro in general.

Same thing with degrees people are tricked into doing it's not what they thought it would be. So in a sense, meme degrees are shit, but they are also not because some people actually want Gentoo.
>>
>>7733214

> fails to educate it's students
> fails to educate it is students
>>
what is it, a meme?
in a counterfeit culture
each thought is a meme
>>
>>7733246
>Not knowing how possessive apostrophes
>Even worse thinking an apostrophe always implies a contraction

Whatever school you attended they definitely failed to educate you.
>>
>>7733252
They're talking about its and it's. It's is a contraction for "it is", its is possessive.

It's unintuitive, but both forms are well defined. It makes more sense than sticking with the conventions used by the rest of the contractions though. Took me until my late teens to bother learning this.
>>
>>7733252
I thought >>7733246 was being a bit of a pedantic dick correcting you, but they're right and you're wrong.

"Its" is the possessive form of "it".
"It's" is a contraction of "it is".
>>
>>7733259
I never said it wasn't a grammatical error, when someone makes that mistake it's obviously either because of a typo or because they added the possessive apostrophe out of habit, not because they were trying to use a contraction and it makes you look retarded to imply that.
>>
>>7733266
That is a laudable effort at backpedalling.

This is an anonymous board about science. If you're wrong, just cop to it.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.