[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Exams
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: first questions.png (26 KB, 647x685) Image search: [Google]
first questions.png
26 KB, 647x685
guys right now I'm writing finals in my University, so can you help me solve some of the easy math problems? So here is one of them for example
>>
6. We have [math]\displaystyle p(x) = g^2(x)f(x)[/math]. So [math]\displaystyle p'(x) = 2g(x)g'(x)f(x) + g^2(x)f'(x)[/math] which implies [math]\displaystyle p'(-1) = 2g(-1)g'(-1)f(-1) + g^2(-1)f'(-1) = 2(3)(5)(4) + (3)^2(1/3) = 123[/math]
>>
>1.
[eqn]\lim_{x \to 4^-} \frac{x-4}{x^2+x-20} = \lim_{x \to 4^-} \frac{1}{x+5} = \frac{1}{4+5} = \frac{1}{9}[/eqn]

A. 1/9

>2.
[eqn]\lim_{x \to \pi^+} \frac{x\cos(x)}{\sin(x)} = \lim_{x \to \pi^+} x\cos(x) \times \lim_{x \to \pi^+} \frac{1}{\sin(x)} = \pi\cos(pi) \times \frac{1}{\sin(\pi)} = -\pi \times -\infty = \infty[/eqn]

D. [eqn]\infty[/eqn]

>3.
[eqn]\lim_{x \to 2} \frac{\ln{(x^3-7)}}{4-x^2} = \lim_{x \to 2} \frac{\frac{3x^2}{x^3-7}}{-2x} = \lim_{x \to 2} \frac{-3x}{2(x^3-7)} = \frac{-3 \times 2}{2(2^3-7)} = -3[/eqn]

C. -3

>4.
[eqn]\lim_{x \to \infty} \frac{x^2}{4-x} + x = \lim_{x \to \infty} \frac{-4x}{x-4} = -4[/eqn]

D. -4

>5.
[eqn]f(x) = \frac{e^{2x}}{5+e^{4x}}\\
f'(x) = \frac{(5+e^{4x})2e^{2x} - (e^{2x}4e^{4x})}{(5+e^{4x})^2}\\
f'(x) = \frac{10e^{2x} - 2e^{6x}}{(5+e^{4x})^2}\\
f'(0) = \frac{10e^{0} - 2e^{0}}{(5+e^{0})^2}\\
f'(0) = \frac{10 - 2}{(5+1)^2}\\
f'(0) = \frac{8}{36}\\
f'(0) = \frac{2}{9}[/eqn]

B. 2/9

>6.
[eqn]p(x) = g^2(x)f(x)\\
g(-1) = 3, g'(-1) = 5,f(-1) = 4, f'(-1) = \frac{1}{3}\\
p'(-1) = f'(-1)g^2(-1) + 2g(-1)g'(-1)f(-1)\\
p'(-1) = (\frac{1}{3} \times 9) + (2 \times 3 \times 5 \times 4)\\
p'(-1) = 3 + 5!\\
p'(-1) = 3 + 120\\
p'(-1) = 123[/eqn]

D. 123

The only reason why I did this is because I want to practice my Calculus as well. This shit was extremely easy, though.
>>
multiple choice maths exams what in the fug
>>
>>7722137

what kind of backwater swamp of a university do you attend?

or you sure its not TAFE/community college?
>>
>>7722137
>>7724160

i mean its solving limits so the guys is in first year, first semester maths

still when i was in first year i never saw a multiple choice or take home exam, all our shit was invigilated

maybe its a course by correspondence so its all online work?
>>
>>7722137

Holy shits are these even called Exams?
>>
I fucking hate limits and all that is associated with them
I still don't get the point of derivatives
Why am I so retarded
>>
>>7724367
Yeah
>>
>>7724367
Derivatives are useful for tons of things. One common example is for approximation. Let's say you want to approximate (estimate) sqrt(3), but you don't have a calculator or anything on you. You could use derivatives for that:
[eqn]f(4-1)\approx (f'(4)\times-1)+f(4)\\
f(3)\approx f(4)-f'(4)\\
f(3)\approx 2-\frac{1}{4}\\
f(3)\approx \frac{7}{4}[/eqn]
You can also use derivatives to graph a function by hand (when you're given only the function, a pencil, and paper; no graphing calculator whatsoever). Derivatives can be used to find the velocity, acceleration, jerk, etc. of an object. Many basic physics formulas are actually from derivatives, such as ΔX = Vt + 0.5*a*t^2 is actually found and proven through derivatives, etc.

Meanwhile, we can use limits for a variety of different reasons. Limits can also be used to find derivatives; in fact, the linear approximation equation stems from the limit definition of the derivative of a function. Limits can be used to find antiderivatives as well, and we can use limits to find the area under a curve (aka definite integrals. It might seem petty, but to give you an example, in Statistics, the probability(s) in Normal Distributions are approximated through definite integrals.
E.g. For a normal distribution with μ = 0 and σ = 1, p(x <= -1):
[eqn]p(x \leq -1)=\int_{-\infty}^{-1} \frac{e^{-\frac{x^2}{2}}}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\\
p(x \leq -1) \approx 0.158655...[/eqn]
Yep. Limits can literally be used to find the probability of event(s) happening. Limits can also be used to find indefinite integrals (a.k.a. no bounds). There are a variety of other uses for integrals and derivatives that I am probably missing out on, but I hope you get the point.

They're important.
>>
>>7725627
That second Tex equation came out a bit funky... let me try again (and if this doesn't work then I give up. Just plug it into a Tex editor to view if you're curious):

[eqn]
p(x \leq -1) = \int_{-\infty}^{-1} \frac{e^{-\frac{x^2}{2}}}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\\
p(x \leq -1) \approx 0.158655...
[/eqn]
>>
>>7725627
>>7725635
...And I forgot to add dx for the integral. Fuck. Just pretend it's there.

[math]
p(x \leq -1) = \int_{-\infty}^{-1} \frac{e^{-\frac{x^2}{2}}}{\sqrt{2\pi}} dx\\
p(x \leq -1) \approx 0.158655\ldots
[/math]
>>
A lot of this stuff doesn't seem too different from trig. I thought math was supposed to get more fun after trig.
>>
File: 1444966794905.jpg (31 KB, 352x450) Image search: [Google]
1444966794905.jpg
31 KB, 352x450
Why did your teacher put brackets on #4 OP? It seems a bit redundant and is pissing me off, frankly.
>>
>>7725853
because there are two terms in that one, so we want to make sure the "+x" is included in the limit calculation
>>
>>7722137
you are writing the exams? so you are the professor? and you don't know calculus?

remind me not to go to your school!
>>
>>7722137
R u srs
>>
>>7725853
That's proper notation
>>
>>7725879
>>7725915
Yeah I got that but I always thought since high school, that it's implied through the expression that it applies everywhere.
>>
This is a bait, you are solving his exam.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.