[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Exactly what is it that an engineer does? How do they solve problems?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: Engineer.jpg (199 KB, 1024x1365) Image search: [Google]
Engineer.jpg
199 KB, 1024x1365
Exactly what is it that an engineer does? How do they solve problems?
>>
>>7724132
By using computer programs and methodologies that have been developed specifically for the problems you have to solve. Plug-n-chug, make sure the answer makes sense, if it doesn't, figure out what wrong, fix it. Rinse, repeat.

>sound engineer
>>
>>7724132
> Exactly what is it that an engineer does?

Other engineers.

>How do they solve problems?

Well, the recessive engineer who needs to solve a problem trades his anus for the answer of said problem by a dominant engineer. That dominant engineer once was a recessive engineer until it got fucked by another dominant engineer. The story goes that at the origin of this perpetual anal transference of problem solving skills rests a physicist who is writing this post while taking a dump.
>>
>>7724132
I will never understand why sound technicians insist in calling themselves "engineers".

Also Zuma has done literally nothing wrong, you youths are retarded with your silly activism nonsense.
>>
>>7724132
>Exactly what is it that an engineer does?

The reason this question doesn't have a simple answer is because "engineer" isn't actually a job. It's a set of related skills. An "engineering job" is simply any job that requires some of those skills, which includes a huge variety of different types of tasks. There is no one thing that all engineers do. (Except suck duck! Amirite bros lolololilolilol!!!!!!!)
>>
Also "random" does not really exist.

Random just means the underlying process is at least as complex as the random signal itself (and therefore impossible to predict) and has no less complex components (meaning no simple statistical biases or other predictable properties).

Thus even random noise is completely deterministic.

'True' randomness would imply an infinitely complex underlying process that can not be approximated by a finitely complex process (or it would not be random). This is clearly impossible given that the process must be able to converge to some value.
>>
>>7724132
Why can't everyone just be roughly in shape?
>>
>>7724132
>Exactly what is it that an engineer does?

They apply theory to help solve everyday practical problems.

>How do they solve problems?

STEP 1: they look at a theory
STEP 2: they use computer programs to come up with a feasible idea
STEP 3: they present it to a financier
STEP 4: they beta test the idea
STEP 5: they refine it
STEP 6: they send it off to those jackasses in marketing
STEP 7: ?????
STEP 8: Profit $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

>nfw not getting the appropriate amount of financing to get idea off the ground
>mfw some would-be injuneerz don't understand the difference between precision and accuracy
>mfw
>>
>>7724132

Ariel Pink really let himself go
>>
File: 1414152340371.jpg (211 KB, 500x511) Image search: [Google]
1414152340371.jpg
211 KB, 500x511
>>7724166
how would you call someone who measures and controls the levels of noise in the enviroment?
besides, I don't know about your country but in mine there's a distinction between a technician(secondary eduaction) and an engineer(higher education)
>>
>>7724132

I work in Safety Critical applications. During my undergrad I only took one course on the theories and it was in my last semester as a TE. I find a lot of engineers totally miss this mind set of thinking about how systems should safely fail, or mitigate potential failures before they even happen. Not a lot of courses ever really consider these factors.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.