[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey sci. My friend wants to take an online program (on java)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: 2ndVYxQ.jpg (170 KB, 1259x879) Image search: [Google]
2ndVYxQ.jpg
170 KB, 1259x879
Hey sci. My friend wants to take an online program (on java) at a local university but I fear that he's getting ripped off. I've showed him Coursera and EdX, but he replies with: "Those lack continuity, here it builds on itself and it's a whole integrated program."
Here's the program: http://www.algonquincollege.com/ccol/program/enterprise-java-developer/part-time-online/
Is getting ripped off? Are there any similar/better alternatives? If instead of doing the program, he looked at each class and found a similar course on eg: EdX. Would this be as valuable?
>>
Any help? Any programming people?
>>
>>7720691
What's the problem? There doesn't seem to be anything out and out wrong with the program and the certificate might (emphasis on "might") be worth something to a potential employer.

Yeah, sure you can learn all that stuff on your own or through Coursera but if he wants something more structured, there's nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>7721059
You don't need help. If he is getting charged to learn java, which has a lot of free resources online then he is getting ripped off.

Even if the online class is good, even if it is really good, even if it is so good that he will get out of it as the best programmer in the history of manking, it is still a rip off.

Tell him to fucking learn online like every sane person does.

Why do you think we make fun of CS majors? They pay 40 thousand dollars a year to learn Java. They are getting fucked in the ass and they don't even realize it. Don't let your friend be a CS major. Learn online.
>>
A good looking portfolio would be more valuable than a piece of paper they hand to you (or mail to you in this case)
>>
>>7721086
I think it would be fairer to say that they're paying $40k (lol america) to prove to potential employers that they aren't worthless, and possibly even for networking, but let's be honest: your average CS fag isn't going to be doing much social networking.
>>
>>7721092
When I graduate I will probably try to get a job in software so that I know that because of me, a CS major is starving to death.

That will probably be my biggest contribution to the progress of humanity.
>>
I forgot to say. It's 622CAD for class, for six classes it's 3.7k CAD=2.7k USD.

Thank you so much for the replies. I'm worried for my friend.
>>7721083
>>7721086
The entire program is 2.7k$. That's the issue.
Can you point me to similar programs or how to look for equivalent classes to those. It's not simply Introduction To Java", how would I find an equivalent for: "Dynamic Java UI: Servlets and JSPS"?

>>7721087
How would he make his portfolio look good without the piece of paper?
>>
>>7721144
So? Is it your $3.7k CAD that he's spending? No? Then leave him alone.

Either he learns something and is satisfied with what he spent or he's bored / dissatisfied and will drop out on his own.
>>
>>7720691
Come a little closer and I will rip you off
>>
>>7721166
It's not impossible to convince him. Actually I think it's very doable. But I need to give him alternatives to what he's looking for.
He's my friend therefore why wouldn't I try to help him? It's not like he's well off.
>>
Last Bump:

In short:
Friend wants to take a 2.7k USD course program with 6 classes. Any online courses that offers similar classes including an equivalent to eg: "Dynamic Java UI: Servlets and JSPS"?
>>
>>7721217
If he spends his money like a flowing river try to rip him off that's what friends do its called being friendly and sharing is caring
>>
>>7721166
>think friend is making a very poor decision to spend a very large sum of money
>OP wants to help him find an alternative he wont have to spend such money for
>MIND UR OWN BUSINESS DUDE ITS HIS MONEY
>>
>>7721086
>implying CS is learning to code
I bet you couldn't even make a DFSA and a regex that describes it.
>>
>>7720691
who is this semon demon?
>>
>>7720691

>Taking a class on Java

I had to take a Java class in my undergrad. It was the single most worthless course I ever took in my life.

Programming classes are shit tier and Java is a shit tier language.
>>
File: 1304592141666.png (212 KB, 478x357) Image search: [Google]
1304592141666.png
212 KB, 478x357
>>7721933
>mfw doing compiler construction and have to parse regexes into DFSA's in C

This is some seriously fiddly shit.
>>
>>7722050
Dana Kareglazaya
>>
>>7720691
It's hands-on practical "skills" on java. Learning a language is trivial, learning any of these things here is trivial, just internet searching and learning. But knowing exactly which to learn, which are being used, and having them taught to you in a structured way that gives you credentials to be able to work in projects that use a related approach to enterprise programming (I assume it's a common one, so that's most of them) is what makes this program worth it.

In any case, this isn't math or science. GET OUT NORMIE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.