[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>only 26% of kids pass elementary "linear"/1st-order
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: J_DszjDdEeWoeSEweNA90w.jpg (270 KB, 1484x1606) Image search: [Google]
J_DszjDdEeWoeSEweNA90w.jpg
270 KB, 1484x1606
>only 26% of kids pass elementary "linear"/1st-order single variable algebra
>>
Shit teachers I guess.
>>
>>7717607
Oh wait

>https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/steep-rates-of-failure-on-algebra-exams-in-montgomery-lead-to-mass-recalculation/2014/06/28/f75eeaf2-fe4c-11e3-932c-0a55b81f48ce_story.html
>Montgomery County’s failure rate for the June final exam in Algebra 1 was so steep — 82 percent for high school students — that district officials say they decided to add 15 percentage points to all test grades, recalculate scores and reprint thousands of report cards.

I stand corrected - only 18% passed
>>
>>7717607
>Alabama

No surprise there.
>>
>>7717634
>https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/three-out-of-four-high-schoolers-failed-algebra-1-final-exams-in-md-district/2015/07/22/d4ab97d0-2b0f-11e5-bd33-395c05608059_story.html

Maryland actually. Only 18.6% is Black.
>>
>>7717614
my algebra teacher was total shit. she would ceaselessly pick on me in the middle of class and be a total bitch because I was pulling a 60% in her class and didn't care. When she caught wind that I was in calculus with a 90% she would just go quiet and say she didn't care.
>>
Montgomery county isn't even the wrist in Maryland, it just had a shot ton of Mexican immigrants in it that barely speak English. Now Garrett count, shit, it's filed with people who know they'll either become farmers or all they care about is hunting. I know someone who was a teacher there about 20 years ago, and they literally allowed children to keep their hunting rifles in their lockers at school, as long as they checked their ammo in at the office.
>>
>>7717607
This is almost definitely the teachers' fault. Public schools don't have enough money and therefore employ shit teachers who don't care. Should just get rid of them and create subsidized private schools.
>>
File: dat distribution.jpg (71 KB, 606x374) Image search: [Google]
dat distribution.jpg
71 KB, 606x374
>>7717607

>>http://silverchips.mbhs.edu/story/12121
>>MCPS policy requires teachers to give a minimum grade of 50% to students on assessments if they have tried, and also gives students an opportunity to reassess it
>>
>>7717877
1/6 of the students didn't even show up to take the exams
>>
>>7717877
>blame it all on teachers
>gib more money for dem programs
nice try shekelstein
>>
I used to live in Montgomery County, and I can say that this may be true but at my school something like over 60% of the kids got a 5 on the BC calculus exam. Not all idiots.
>>
This country is going to shit. I'm moving to Canada.
>>
>>7718746
>canada
>DUDE WEED LMAO
please never come back.
>>
>>7718746
The 5 eyes and western Europe have all gone to shit
>>
>>7717634

agreed

>the south
>>
Are those 1% changes even significant? Why do journalists hate confidence intervals?
>>
>>7718755
So why are you against all illegal drugs being legal? Please give an answer better than "muh degeneracy".
>>
this is news to me
I live in montgomery county and it's mostly just preppy schools and no one was that stupid

granted, I did take algebra in middle school bc i'm not a dumbass, and went to a rural highschool in montgomery county with few minorities

fwiw i didn't meet any bad math teachers in this county
they push for STEM stuff all the time

>>7717944
i mean
it's high school
not like they gave tests that you can actually fail
it was mostly for students that didn't bother to actually finish an assignment but cared enough to do a bit and not get a 0
>>
>>7719247
>why can't comm majors do HS math?
if they could they would have real jobs
>>
>>7719247

But you see common core is working, the grades went up 1 whole percent! In 40 years, they'll all get A's!
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.