[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Assuming you were in a vacuum chamber here on earth, what would
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: 2001truth-1[1].jpg (50 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
2001truth-1[1].jpg
50 KB, 640x360
Assuming you were in a vacuum chamber here on earth, what would be the bare minimum you could wear to be comfortable?

Obviously a space suit would be perfectly fine, although heavy.

Would something like a dry suit or a flight suit be more practical?
>>
The U2 flight suits would probably be best.
>>
>>7707439
A pressure suit.
>>
If your oxygen mask isn't tight enough the air pressure will cause it to leak like 90%. If it's too tight it's gonna fucking hurt. Skin surface capillaries will dialate in reappnse to low preasure causing a slight drop in blood pressure, headaches, and possible blood clotting. Eyes will lose all moisture. This would be the absolute worst. Perpetually hyper dry eyes. They may swell because of the vacuum, and may blees becauae of the swelling plus dialated capillaries that're super close to the surface. If you get stressed, and you will like this, you won't be able to wick sweat to the atmosphere and will begin to get very hot very quickly. Good luck.
>>
>>7708745
>If your oxygen mask isn't tight enough the air pressure will cause it to leak like 90%.
Not really. The gap is going to be pretty small, so the loss of oxygen through the mask would be pretty manageable.

>If you get stressed, and you will like this, you won't be able to wick sweat to the atmosphere and will begin to get very hot very quickly.
Actually, sweating works very well in a vacuum, with the sweat vaporizing rapidly.
>>
>>7707439

I dunno about you but I'm always more comfortable when I'm naked.
>>
>>7707439
A Space Activity Suit and a pressurized helmet.
>>
>>7709228
What about the high humidity of 98°F water droplets ?
>>
>>7709251
>A Space Activity Suit
I don't think we've really got those things working properly yet.
Also, they're apparently super uncomfortable for guys.

>>7709334
>What about the high humidity of 98°F water droplets ?
I'm not sure what you mean.
>>
>>7709228
>Actually, sweating works very well in a vacuum, with the sweat vaporizing rapidly.
not if you're in a pressurized suit, vacuums are a fantastic insulator.
>>
>>7709547
>not if you're in a pressurized suit
True. But >>7708745 seemed to be talking about the effects of a vacuum on exposed skin.

If you're in a pressure suit in a vacuum you're probably going to need some additional system to cool you.
>>
>>7709398
What do you think happens to the water that efficiently boils off your exposed skin? It's still there and it's not cooling by any other means than either radiation or bumping into the presumably cooler walls of the chamber you're in (assuming you're not just in space)
>>
>>7709639
>What do you think happens to the water that efficiently boils off your exposed skin?
As the water vaporises it's going to cool the skin it's sitting on, just like it does at 1atm of pressure. The only difference is that the vaporisation happens much more rapidly in a vacuum.
>>
>>7709649
The water coola the skin by bringing temperature with it as it wicks, or in this case vaporises. However, in a vacuum the water vapor remains the same temperature. At least in a vacuum chamber, you're gonna be in a cloud of hot water, and dehydrated, so it'a gonna be like an extreme flu where you're mega hot then super cold.
>>
>>7710158
>However, in a vacuum the water vapor remains the same temperature.
Why? Vaporisation is still endothermic.
Perspiration-cooling is actually part of the design of most of the mechanical counter-pressure suites that are being developed,
>>
>>7710176
Vaporization isn't endothermic, it's a change of state. Only chemical reactions have enthalpies. The pressure suits you're talking about use evaporation to wick and then actively cool the water vapor.
>>
none of that sounds comfortable.
>>
>>7710408
>Vaporization isn't endothermic, it's a change of state.
>Only chemical reactions have enthalpies.
wat

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endothermic_process
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enthalpy_of_vaporization
>>
>>7710408
What is latent heat of vaporization?
>>
>>7711654
The pressure suit is the least uncomfortable of them all.

It's still a work in progress though.
>>
>>7709398
>Also, they're apparently super uncomfortable for guys.
Yeah, I can see why.

I think what they need to do is tailor a dedicated counterpressure garment specifically for your junk. Something like a fleshlight that also fits your balls. Then just wear an ordinary pair of shorts on the outside of your suit, for decency's sake.
>>
>>7711674
Actually, they can (and probably will) make parts of the suit behave like classic pressure suit. So the underwear area would be pressurized (among all, to allow you to pee during EVA), while legs from thighs down, chest and arms would be pressure fit; everything from collar up pressurized again. I really don't think gimp mask style helmet would be a good idea...
>>
>>7711684
>Actually, they can (and probably will) make parts of the suit behave like classic pressure suit.
They do hybrid soft-hard suits now, so it's pretty reasonable to expect people to try out hybrid skin-soft suits in the future. Put the limbs in mechanical compression to get the effort of movement as low as possible, then blow up the head and body in a conventional soft suit to keep the astronaut comfortable.

> I really don't think gimp mask style helmet would be a good idea...
Current helmets work pretty well. I can't really see there bing much to gain from changing them.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.