[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
1. Could a planet made entirely of water exist? 2. What would
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
File: 1448609170341.jpg (99 KB, 1045x1045) Image search: [Google]
1448609170341.jpg
99 KB, 1045x1045
1. Could a planet made entirely of water exist?

2. What would the core be like?

3. What would happen if two water planets collided? In both the initial collision and the result afterwards and during.
>>
The core would be water, because the planet is made entirely of water.

If two planets made entirely of water collided it would become one planet made entirely of water
>>
For some value of "entirely," yes. Obviously some other stuff is going to accrete in there. The core will be some supercritical fluid stage... hard to say exactly what its properties will be. A lot of solid material might work its way down there, though. Again, it's too hard to say. Hell, we don't even know what our own planet's core is like, much less some hypothetical one with all sorts of complicated physics that no one's ever investigated.
>>
>>7706776

Right but what would the collision look like? I don't think the two would just have a smooth collision forming a super water planet. I mean wouldn't the forces involved create a shit ton of energy and such? Would it just be steam everywhere at the collision point. What the mass of the new planet just be A+B or would it less a shit ton of water in the process?

>>7706781

If it gets big enough wouldnt there be so much gravity and forces at the core that the water should evaporate?

When will computers be able to simulate this thread?
>>
>>7706771
1. No for the simple fact that it'd be too hot at the center that it would all evaporate

2. See 1.

3. This would be no more interesting than two balls of smoke colliding.
>>
>>7706805
>it'd be too hot at the center that it would all evaporate
Then the steam would start getting displaced upwards by the other water.
Eventually it would cool and turn back to water.
>>
>>7706799
>If it gets big enough wouldnt there be so much gravity and forces at the core that the water should evaporate?

No; exactly the opposite, in fact. You end up with hot ice, because the pressure turns it into a solid. (There's a lot of weird high-pressure allotropes of ice.)
>>
>>7706799
This is bait
>>7706805
this is bait
>>7706781
this is just wrong on many levels.

1. yea, sure it could, but it's unlikely
2. the core would be water, a supercritical fluid, or ice, depending on the pressure created by the size of the planet, and the heat energy it takes in from a nearby star most likely ice.
3. when two planets collide, they do fuse into one planet on impact, but while they do so they spiral in on each other and kick a lot of debris into orbit creating moons and rings, and launch balls of freezing water away in random directions..

the physics of this is well known, investigated, computers have simulated it before
>>
>>7706822

Shouldnt the core be way to hot to create ice?
>>
>>7706830
pressure nigga
>>
>>7706844

So whats hot ice?

Is it just ice thats hot?

How would that work?

Could you use it to make tea?
>>
>>7706830
The core of the Earth is much hotter than the boiling point of iron. Why isn't it a big cloud of iron gas?

The answer is pressure.
>>
>>7706846
Ice tea.
>>
>>7706846
>So whats hot ice?
>Is it just ice thats hot?

Whether matter is in a solid, liquid, or gas state depends on how much energy the molecules have relative to the forces that bind them together, which we call "temperature". If you heat something up to the point it would normally be liquid or gas, it can be forced into being a solid again by physically crushing it together hard enough that their energies are no longer sufficient to break away from each other.

(And, in the inverse direction, as you apply less pressure, the easier it is for molecules to break away from each other. You have to cook longer at high altitude because the boiling water is less hot, and in the vacuum of space, liquid water boils away instantly even at 0 Celsius.)

If you release the pressure, it returns to its normal state.
>>
>>7706771
Questions:
1: no
2: The core would be in liquid state considering that the solid form of H2O is actually LESS dense than the liquid state.
3: Assuming that an 'atmosphere' of such a planet would be comprised of only water vapor, if there is any atmosphere at all, then a planetary collision between the two would simply merge the planets with the heat generated from collision likely releasing/thrusting a large amount of water vapor into space.
>>7706805
The core would evaporate and cause
>>
Doesn't water become solid at certain extreme pressures? If so you'd have a core of exotic ices and a giant ocean.
>>
Dunno bout all this, but I wanna surf that wave when a meteor hits.
>>
>>7706868
>2: The core would be in liquid state considering that the solid form of H2O is actually LESS dense than the liquid state.
That's not necessarily true. Water at very high pressures will turn into denser forms of ice.
>>
>>7706846
It's ice-9 and the world is doomed
>>
>>7707798
This.

Weren't you ever hit on the playground with a snowball by that one shithead kid that decided to pack the living crap out of his?

Seriously though, I have something to Google now. Didn't know ice could eventually get denser than water.
>>
>this thread
>no phase diagram posted yet
>>
It's really impossible for a planet to form that's just one molecular or elemental substance. About the best you'd hope for is a very rare result involving a sequences of events that minimizes the rock and metal core and maximizes the water mantle. I mean, look at Jupiter. It has a rock/metal core that's about the size of Earth.

In those conditions, the core pressure for an Earth-sized would probably match Earth's core pressure of 360 GPa. The phase diagram for water as given doesn't tell us if the "outer" core of water is solid or liquid, but since it's likely the core won't be as hot due to a lack of radioactives as in Earth's nickel-iron core, then I'd posit that the water core of such a world would be solid. It might be a hot ice, maybe 1000degC, but that's still likely a solid at 360 GPa.

Outside the small rock/metal core, the solid water cores would have 2-3 shells, depending how the phase diagram works. After that, it would have a sharp transition to liquid, hence the water world would have a definitive ocean with a dust-sprinkled floor of warm ice.
>>
File: goat.jpg (36 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
goat.jpg
36 KB, 480x360
Say you wanted to built a giant huge ass hollow cube in space and conduct experiments in it.

It would just literally be 6 giant walls stack together in a cube. You would have to create small parts and then assemble it in cubes.

If your confused just look at this video as to why I'm making this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZEdApyi9Vw

I want to build a giant cube in space and then make a massive huge water ball thats like 30km in diameter and then have the cube be set up in a way that I initiate a sequence that dislocats the walls and causes it to push away from the water which exposes it to space.

How big would it have to be to sustain it's own gravitational force?

If I did manage to do this could I just keep dumping water on it? If so how big would it get before it would be so massive that things started to get fucked up and it wasn't a water planet anymore because like physics and shit.

Who do I need to email to get simulations of all this done?

If not if I become a computer scientists could I create my own simulations of everything I'm asking?

How important will goat towers be in the post goat world?

Sorry but I'm at the 5 global thread limit and this is my own thread.
>>
File: 1449412437558.png (2 MB, 1455x813) Image search: [Google]
1449412437558.png
2 MB, 1455x813
>>7709421

*assemble parts of each wall on earth, go to space create walls in space, stack walls have cube that you can go inside
>>
>>7709421
>>7709424

bump
>>
Gravity or electromagnetic spacefield?

My vote is for the latter.
>>
>>7709421
>How big would it have to be to sustain it's own gravitational force?

When the water is exposed to space, it will very rapidly boil away. This will result of evaporative cooling of the remaining water.

A rough back-of-the-napkin estimate tells us that, assuming the 30km water ball starts from standard room temperature, every ~3 kg of evaporating water will cool the ball enough to freeze ~1 kg of remaining water.

So no more than 10 trillion tonnes of the water ball will evaporate before the ball cools enough to freeze solid all the way through, leaving us with a ball of ice ~20 km wide and weighing 3.5 trillion tonnes. In fact, probably much less than this will evaporate, because an ice crust would likely form first protecting the inner liquid core, but this is napkin math

Since the ball is now solid, it doesn't need any gravity to hold itself together. Which is convenient, since its surface gravity will be 0.024% that of Earth's.
>>
>>7710826
Oh, and the pressure at the center will be about 2 kPa, which means it will only need to be brought down to 270 K to freeze instead of 200 K, so that has a big impact on the amount of heat which must be removed from the ball to freeze it.
>>
1. Could a board made entirely of trolls exist?

2. What would the bait be like?

3. What would happen if two troll boards collided? In both the initial collision and the result afterwards and during.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.