[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it easier to major in math and teach myself physics or major
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: presidentes.png (30 KB, 2042x522) Image search: [Google]
presidentes.png
30 KB, 2042x522
Is it easier to major in math and teach myself physics or major in physics and teach myself math? This goes along with some programming
>>
Double major in theoretical physics and pure maths. Double master in theoretical physics and pure maths. Double PhD in theoretical physics and pure maths. Double post-doc in theoretical physics and pure maths.
>>
>>7706740
learning physics is relatively easy if you have a phd in math
learning math is required if you have a phd in physics

physicists generally don't have the same rigor as mathematicians and have very limited if any knowledge in algebra, set theory, number theory and other less practical fields but with their excellent background in other fields of math including advanced ones like differential geometry learning math for them should be easy
>>
>>7706789
>This is what mathematicians actually believe
Any good course in physics will require you ti take hard and rigorous mathematical subjects. You are not required to learn set theory but it complements when tou have to take topos or functional analysis. Geometry is essential to many modern areas in physics and you need a complete understanding to even attempt at a GR course.

Obviously we are not going to learn it the same way but you are implying that the subjects in physics lack rigour and depth. Just take some sort of course of statistical mechanics and you will begin to comprehend that our courses aren't just applied math.
>>
>>7706820
butthurt 7th year physics major detected
>>
>>7706820
there is no rigour in the mathmatics of physics. if you borrow concepts from diff eq. and multivariable calculus, you have everything required to finish an undergrad degree in physics. you don't actually have to know anything about the theory behind the math. I passed 4xx quantum and mechanics classes before i even took diff eq or multi
>>
>>7706872
We still have to take a class called diff equations with mathematicians.
>>
>>7706872
>I passed 4xxz quantum and mechanics classes
Is this a meme?
>>
B U M P
U
M
P
>>
>>7706820
Do you even know what rigorous means? I watched lectures on courses called "mathematical physics" and there's no rigor. Advanced calculus and first courses in differential equations have next to no rigor most of the time as well.
>>
>>7706882
And intro to diff equations classes lack rigor as well.
>>
>>7706740
Maths is literally the easiest subject to major in.
>>
>>7706882
It's not "the rigorous diff eq class we take with math majors", it's "the rigor-lacking diff eq class they make math majors take with physics majors"

fucking waste of my time, fuck physicists
>>
You can do math with paper and pencil.

To do physics you need to have access to expensive instrumentation.

Major in physics and teach yourself math.
>>
>>7707422
Relax, buddy. It hurts, I know it does, but let it go. Both of you will probably contribute next to nothing anyway in your respective field. So in the grand schemes of things, it doesn't matter.
>>
You can do either. Do which ever you like most
>>
>>7707420
This, honestly. There's a really bad case of Dunning Kruger afflicting mathematicians on /sci/. Majoring in math is not more difficult than most normalfag degrees. Roughly comparable to theology, literature etc.
>>
>>7706740
Major in math

The only physics class you can't teach yourself are the 2 modern physics labs (the junior/senior lab course, not the intro the circuits/digital-logic or error analysis sophomore labs).

>>7707729
>>7707420

Because math departments have to offer a lazy track for the future high school teachers and cs double majors.
>>
>>7706820
Physics courses may borrow some results from relevant math subjects but I've never seen any proofs being given in my physics courses and most of the material was simplified.

I've done a bachelor in both and the difference in rigor is astounding. At master level the difference is even more pronounced. This doesn't mean the amount of work required is less for physics but it's silly to preach that it involves rigorous math.
>>
>>7706820
>our courses aren't just applied math.

Now you're really making yourself look like you don't know what you're talking about.

most of physics is just working with instances of maths.
>>
>>7708177
Then why the fuck are physics majors soooo fucking annoying with their "muhhh matthhzzz is soooo hard, seriously guisseee. Watch me do this prooofff noone gives a shit about and I barely understand." ?
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.