[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does the gibberish written on the blackboard ever make sense?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 6
Does the gibberish written on the blackboard ever make sense?
>>
File: come_on_now.jpg (26 KB, 600x375) Image search: [Google]
come_on_now.jpg
26 KB, 600x375
Holy shit this board is so garbage
>>
>>7698667
>Girls do better than boys in math + science
That is definitely not true. I will give them that girls and boys can be as good as each other when it comes to math and science. Seriously, this femenist proapaganda of "womyn be gud and buys b dumm" hurts my head.

>stereotypes keep them away from STEM
Says who? Where's the data. Has a woman ever said:
Oh, I really wanted to get a 300k starting job in mathematics but the stereotypes just pushed me away to psychology to get this shitty 30k job.

Because that's bullshit. Nobody would shy away from making bank because stereotypes that don't even exist anyways. Women get in STEM and do just fine. None of them get raped by the creepy engineers like feminists claim.
>>
>>7698667
Arguable, the success you experience in school and the success you gain in professional work is not likely as correlated as you would like. The 1%'ers that make it as successful and productive STEM'ers, especially in the hard sciences, are different in a way grades only partially show. They certainly got good grades, but there is a huge difference between learning and creating.
>>
>>7698693
>Oh, I really wanted to get a 300k starting job in mathematics but the stereotypes just pushed me away to psychology to get this shitty 30k job.
Because literally no one talks like that.

>None of them get raped by the creepy engineers like feminists claim.
Uh, I'm not aware of feminists claiming RAPE is the reason why women aren't getting into STEM. It's more that for college age guys, misogyny seems to be a major form of male bonding, and as such heavily male-dominated fields can seem unwelcoming to women.
>>
>>7698730
>Because literally no one talks like that.
Well, I see a lot of women in psychology but not that many in my pure math course. You may have a better explanation.

>. It's more that for college age guys, misogyny seems to be a major form of male bonding
Says who? I mean what the thell? Are you the kind of person that unironically believe that men just gather in patriarchy meetings to plan how to opress women?

The truth is discrimination is looked down upon. If you see a guy who is particularly "misogynist" (even though no one actually hates women, you just have exagerated views of muh opresshun) then you can just avoid that individual person.

Stop your fear mongering and then more women may join STEM fields.
>>
>>7698730
Girls only get made fun of if there stuck up or are crazy.

Most men would (and do) welcome serious females who have intent to learn. Not dumb ones trying to ride out uni to get a cushy job with a high salary who have no intent to learn or even care.
>>
>>7698744
I'm a college age male, I can tell you that my peers are often misogynistic. Also, because there are twice as many males as there are females, the few females that are in STEM receive four times as much sexism as the general public.
>>
>>7698744
>Says who? I mean what the thell? Are you the kind of person that unironically believe that men just gather in patriarchy meetings to plan how to opress women?
>The truth is discrimination is looked down upon. If you see a guy who is particularly "misogynist" (even though no one actually hates women, you just have exagerated views of muh opresshun) then you can just avoid that individual person.
This is based on my personal observations of men in male-dominated environments. I don't hate men, however misogyny does unfortunately seem to be a large part of "male culture" and male gender roles.
>>
>>7698791
Loving your generalization.
>>
>>7698730
>>7698772
>>7698791

>misogyny seems to be a major form of male bonding, and as such heavily male-dominated fields can seem unwelcoming to women

Stop parroting bullshit. You're promoting a climate of conflict and confrontation. Citations or SHUT THE FUCK UP. Your personal observations mean jack-shit when you're trying to generalize that or even take that as a real reason.
>>
>>7698797
When it seems to be such a large part of accepted male interaction, I'm not sure it counts as an arbitrary generalization. That said, this sort of misogyny isn't something ALL men behave in, but seems to be a very common response to feelings of inadequacy. Emotionally healthy men don't seem to engage in this sorts of behavior. It's a typical form of bullying; men feel inadequate so they try to make themselves feel better by convincing themselves that women are inferior.
>>
>>7698800
What kinds of citations are you looking for? Surveys to show that this perception is common among people? Because I'm not sure how exactly you can measure this sort of thing.
>>
>>7698807
>It's a typical form of bullying; men feel inadequate so they try to make themselves feel better by convincing themselves that women are inferior.

More bullshit, another conflict-driving generalization pushed by the poison of modern feminism. CITATIONS OR F U C K O F F
>>
>>7698812
If you can't measure it then stop parroting it as fact. It's your impression, and it's a largely dangerous interpretation that promotes the kind of tumblrina resentment and rage you see in modern feminism.
>>
>>7698812
Well if you can't actually measure it in any objective or statistically useful way maybe you shouldn't assume that it's truth?
>>
>>7698807
Again you're generalizing. For our sake of sanity, I'll will not argue with you again about the same thing because we come to the same conclusion: most men are patriarchal. Also, I really don't feel like to. How dull.
>>
>>7698772
Reddit manginas pls go.

But in all seriousness. Do your male peers actively opress women? Do they go out at night to find who to rape? Do they deny help or support to women just for being women? Do they insult women just for being women?

No. Nobody does that. And people who do are looked down upon and as such are usually loners.

I know you want to fuck that cute girl who has a tumblr blog but appealing to her wrong political views won't get you anything because right now she is fucking Chad, one of your "misogynistic" friends that treats her like shit and just wants to fuck her.

>>7698791
>male-dominated environments

Even if a place has a mostly male population it is not male dominated. Because men do not excert dominance on women unless they are their bosses or something. You would get treated respectfully in class and out of class.

Second, women make the majority of college students. That means that college is a "female-dominated" environment, if we go by your metric of "dominated".

Male culture is not mysoginistic. Male culture is just masculine and because you are a feminist you think that if men are having a good time then they must be oppressing someone.
>>
I've encountered that it's feminism that disencourages females to partake on STEM. I mean, in general STEM subjects are just seen as necessary and cold. So teachers at highscool just encourage girls to study about history of women in the US or some other shit because they claim that logical thinking is boring men stuff that doesn't require true creative thinking which couldn't be more wrong. Even girls themselves applaud the highscool chick who does some stupid ass project abut muh soggy knee as empowering and smart and seriously joke and bully the chick interested in math. I mean it happens also with males just that males can be autistic enough to don't give a fuck.

Also, today, women in STEM is in an all time high, because for some strange reason they hate engineering doesn't mean all of STEM is 70% men. I think these dumb preachers need to read abour Simpsons paradaox and shut the hell up.

Also b8 thread and sage goes in the options field.
>>
>>7698818
That seems reasonable, but it would also mean that you shouldn't assume it is false, either?

>>7698822
>most men are patriarchal
That's not really a meaningful conclusion. What does patriarchal specifically mean in this context? "The majority of men are part of the category defined by the majority of men?" That's literally circular reasoning.
>>
>>7698852
b8
>>
>>7698852
>Theres a giant space spaghetti monster who's causing all our problems. It must be defeated

>Oh you shouldn't assume this as false either!

Fuck no. Your ideology is harmful and questioning it when it starts spewing its bullshit is the only way to stop it. 100 out of 100 times there's absolutely no citations, no base to your claims. Only "I feel" and good-sounding bullshit.

>That's literally circular reasoning
I'm pretty sure that was his point. The discussion is meaningless.
>>
>>7698667
Be in a class of 1:1 female to male ratio.
>A year goes by
3 females left.
>Another year goes by
1 female left and one is reading up on last years courses and the last is pregnant and is taking a sabbatical.
The one left is begging for handholding and is failing the courses where people won't handhold her.
This was mathematics program (not US).
My empirical data implies that the vague statement made in the OP is a lie.
>>
My math PhD program was about 3:1 Male:Female, but that statistic was probably skewed by all the male Chinese, the female Chinese having been drowned in a river at birth.
>>
>>7698836
>But in all seriousness. Do your male peers actively opress women? Do they go out at night to find who to rape? Do they deny help or support to women just for being women? Do they insult women just for being women?
They don't rape, and they don't generally insult women to their faces, but tend to circlejerk among themselves about how shitty and inferior women are.

>I know you want to fuck that cute girl who has a tumblr blog but appealing to her wrong political views won't get you anything because right now she is fucking Chad, one of your "misogynistic" friends that treats her like shit and just wants to fuck her.
I'm not even sexually attracted to women, nice projection though.

>Even if a place has a mostly male population it is not male dominated. Because men do not excert dominance on women unless they are their bosses or something. You would get treated respectfully in class and out of class.
Yeah, in class it's usually fine, because guys know to behave in front of a teacher. And I don't mean dominance in the sense of literally telling people what to do, it's more this idea of how they shape the norms of a community.

>Second, women make the majority of college students. That means that college is a "female-dominated" environment, if we go by your metric of "dominated".
Overall, yes. But the balance is still close enough to 50/50 that neither group is really able to completely shape the communities, so I wouldn't call that dominance, just statistical majority. However, it's not like the entire college is all together in one big group, individual communities within it may be unbalanced enough to be clearly dominated by one gender or the other.

>Male culture is not mysoginistic. Male culture is just masculine and because you are a feminist you think that if men are having a good time then they must be oppressing someone.
There's nothing wrong with men having a good time. It's only an issue when they have a good time at the expense of women.
>>
>>7698865
"Your empirical data" implies nothing, only itself.

Stop. If you want to discuss and state things as fact, give citations and meaningful data.
>>
>>7698862
There's far more evidence of misogyny (even if it's just case studies and anecdotes) then there is of a "giant space spaghetti monster". And it's possible to intensively search for evidence of a monster, and failing to find anything, reasonably conclude that it probably doesn't exist. And you'd need to do the same for misogyny rather than just dismissing it.
>>
>>7698870
>but tend to circlejerk among themselves about how shitty and inferior women are.
[Citation needed]

>guys know to behave in front of a teacher [and not otherwise]
[Citation needed]

>they shape the norms of a community [through male-dominance]
[Citation needed]

Angry tumblrina avoids questioning for facts, continues to make factoid statements based on feelings and take the low hanging fruit, someone taking her bait, to argue in the field of feelings.

Do NOT take feminist bait that drags you into arguing feelings. QUESTION the ideology.
>>
>>7698865
Well it is fair given how many anecdotes are used by dumb college girls to spew bullshit. However by my experience they'll just talk about how you are generalizing too despite the fact you just told them you are doing the same just to show how stupid their argument is.

The only way to deal with them, even though you will instantly become a fedroa, is having the source printed all the time. In and MUN i participated it worked like a charm.
>>
>>7698873
>There's far more evidence of misogyny
[Citation needed]
Show evidence or shut up.

>And you'd need to do the same for misogyny rather than just dismissing it.

How about no? All the proponents can show is made up shit. You come here without a shred of evidence to make feel-good propaganda.

Bring citations and we'll talk. Until then, your opinion is as valid as a toddler's, and much, much more harmful.
>>
>>7698870
All you said came out of your ass. Except you are in a shit uni with only dumb frat boys, tumblers wet dream, that literally doesn't happen. And what the fucj do you mean we cannot have fun at the expense of women? Litteraly we can if your expense means getting offended.
>>
>>7698870
>but tend to circlejerk among themselves about how shitty and inferior women are

Lets assume this is true for the sake of argument. Then so what? If they just circlejerk among each other but then do not show any hostility towards women then nothing is being done. Women are not being affected by their stupidity because they are still treated well.

But of course, you are exagerating. If I saw someone unironically talking about a gender or race or sexaul orientation being inherently inferior I would hit them in the face and tell them to grow the fuck up. This is college and we are adults now.

>I'm not even sexually attracted to women, nice projection though.
Gay men also tend to side with femenists. It makes sense because feminism also pushes for "gay rights" in the form of "straight male rights" being reduced to the bare minimum. It does not surprise me.

>Yeah, in class it's usually fine, because guys know to behave in front of a teacher. And I don't mean dominance in the sense of literally telling people what to do, it's more this idea of how they shape the norms of a community.
I have no comment because this is a non-argument. You are believing your own assumptions and forming an opinion from that.

>neither group is really able to completely shape the communities,
Outright lie. Because of women and specifically feminists we now have:
Gender studies, race studies, FAT STUDIES, safe spaces, mandatory classes for men about resisting their urge to rape, etc.
Women are shaping the community.

> It's only an issue when they have a good time at the expense of women.
And when does this happen? Never. Men are never hostile to women, they tend to be hostile with each other.

That is the reason why most killers are men and most killer victims are also men. And yes, all that I have said is supported by statistics and news articles.
>>
>>7698883
>It makes sense because feminism also pushes for "gay rights" in the form of "straight male rights" being reduced to the bare minimum. It does not surprise me.
The only way "straight male rights" are reduced is by the whole rape issue, which is totally separate from gay rights. Gay rights do not reduce straight male rights in any way, they just make it so that straight males are no longer the ONLY group with those rights.
>>
>>7698870
>>7698883
>but tend to circlejerk among themselves about how shitty and inferior women are.

Now I want to address this. Again, I will assume that you are not lying out of your ass so we can have an argument.

Why would men in STEM talk about women being inferior? (Other than being big babies).

The reason to me is obvious. Women just tend to be mediocre in STEM.

When I talk with my classmates (pure math) we sometimes discuss our aspirations or why are here. I ask a man he will tell me without hesitation that he wants to specialize in cryptography, other says algorithms, other says topology, others just says that he wants to go for a PhD and become a professor. Other says that they want to specialize in quantitative analysis. And so on.

Ask a woman and I shit you not this is the usual response:
"Well, I was good in math back in high school and I didn't know what to study but I wanted to go to college so I just chose math."

And this changes everything. If you have a clear goal you will fight day and night to achieve it. If you are just in to get a degree and then fuck off you will be mediocre.

This is also reflected in grades, which I also discuss with classmates. The "best" women in the class are still miles behind the "best" men in class when it comes to grades.

This is, of course, no reason to disrespect a human being but this shows why men would see women as intellectually weaker in a STEM environment.
>>
>>7698667
Most women probably don't want to invest much time and effort into their careers for the same reason most employers don't want to invest in a woman freshly out of college.
There's a 90%+ probability she'll put her career on hold for 2-20 years to raise children within a few years of graduation.
>>
>>7698887
>The only way "straight male rights" are reduced is by the whole rape issue

More bullshit with no citations. Here's a secondary source filled to the BRIM with meaningful studies and analysis showing how harmful feminism is to men:

https://archive.is/82oGL
https://archive.is/5IpQ3
https://archive.is/XvHAe
https://archive.is/5C3ws
https://archive.is/PEvGN

Take your harmful ideology the fuck out.
>>
It's not the 70s, math and hard science programs are full of female grad students and female professors. People still whining and wanting to be coddled are the exact same people who will never succeed in the competitive academic world.

If you don't like unpleasant statistics then STEM probably isn't for you. But we already know that. These are the own-tail-chasing ramblings of sociology. Always 20 years behind the times and missing the point by roughly two-thousand miles.
>>
>>7698889
Is this a false flag post? Take your baseless sexism somewhere else faggot. One side arguing feelings and no evidence is enough.
>>
>>7698887
The original LGBT push for gay rights is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about feminists who also want to join the LGBT movement.

Feminists want to reduce straight male rights but they just leave gay males alone. (Unless they are smart gay men, Like Milo Yiannopolus). So gay people just go with it because feminism is not hostile towards their movement.

So in other words, gay people in general do not hurt straight male rights but they do not fight against feminists who do hurt straight male rights and as such they are letting them have their way.

Then, the gay peole who also identify as feminists also push for the elimination of rights for straight male people.
>>
>>7698893
Is there anything in there about how gay rights are taking rights away from straight people?
>>
>>7698889
That's a fair point, but do you think it has to do with social pressures back at highscool? Or a genuine biological disengagement?

I think both, the safest route you can take, but it has to do with the portrayal of math in highscool. What i cannot ignore is that some who excells early in a STEM major usually did previous work and got informed about what it actually means to do math. Only a handful of girls did this and it was mostly girls who had mathematician parents.
>>
>>7698900
>but they do not fight against feminists who do hurt straight male rights and as such they are letting them have their way.
That's like saying the automobile industry is harming America by not fighting against ISIS.
>>
>>7698901
See >>7698900. This is not specifically related to "gay rights" because gay men having more rights obviously does not mean straight men have less.
In any case, it's important to have this in a thread where the poison of feminism is being pushed. Give it a read.
>>
>>7698900
>Then, the gay peole who also identify as feminists also push for the elimination of rights for straight male people.
What rights are you referring to?
>>
>>7698901
You're missing his point. He is talking how the LGBT movement and Feminism merge so it is natural for a homosexual to join the same agenda. But he is talking about Feminism nonetheless.

While he may be ab MRA, he is making far better points than you faggot.
>>
>>7698902
>some who excells early in a STEM major usually did previous work and got informed about what it actually means to do math. Only a handful of girls did this and it was mostly girls who had mathematician parents.

[Citation needed]
>>
>>7698908
See >>7698893
>>
>>7698905
If the automobile industry had ISIS members in them then they would be harming america.

The LGBT movement has feminists in and they are not being reprimanded by their actions against straight people. Imagine if the LGBT movement had nazis in who, alongside you. claimed that blacks and jews deserve to die. You would look down and try to silence those members of your community. But you are not doing that to feminists in the lgbt movement who basically say men deserve to die.

>>7698908
Well. Men rights activists actively push for the introduction of reproductive and parental rights for men. Then feminists just call them sexists pigs and oppose them in every court, in every debate, in every conversation. To feminists, more rights for men means less rights for women and that is not true.

I don't know if you are a man or a woman but you wouldn't like your son to be scammed by the government into having to pay child support to a baby that is not theirs or that they did not want.
>>
>>7698910
http://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/high-school-notes/2012/08/22/high-school-students-not-prepared-for-college-career
http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/aug/17/scores-show-students-not-ready-college/?page=all
The fact that if you prepare you do better shouldn't be a discussion but oh well
>>
>>7698916
>To feminists, more rights for men means less rights for women and that is not true.
So these men rights activists are in favor of more rights for everyone?
>>
>>7698924
MRA principles are as defendable as Feminsists principles. Thae fact they got hijacked by tubs of lard is something else.
>>
>>7698920
Neither of these support your claims. These are two:

>some who excells early in a STEM major usually did previous work and got informed about what it actually means to do math.
>Only a handful of girls did this and it was mostly girls who had mathematician parents.

The first one is tangentially related to what you posted: students aren't ready in general. Are the ones who are ready so because they " informed about what it actually means to do math"? That's still your claim with no base.

The second one hasn't even been touched, and it's the real important part of your claim.

Further, two news articles aren't sources. I could have just dismissed them outright.
>>
>>7698924
I wouldn't say more but they are fighting for EQUAL rights for everyone.

If women have reproductive rights then men deserve that too, don't you think?

I mean, if men had a right that you didn't then you would fight for having that right too and you would be right for doing that.
>>
This is now a based mom thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TR_YuDFIFI
>>
>>7698933
https://www.google.com.mx/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://paa2012.princeton.edu/papers/122810&ved=0ahUKEwiE5PC16sLJAhWTq4MKHbKEAVoQFggdMAA&usg=AFQjCNEO1zMMUwdYINA1HZJ3BgUSZNtjVw&sig2=lgNzIEkLh7HNElBBq5-4UA
Fuck off
>>
The real reason there aren't more female scientists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-6usiN4uoA
>>
>>7698941
>WAAAAHHHH STOP MAKING ME DIG UP ACTUAL EVIDENCE TO THE BULLSHIT I SPOUT!

Only an idiotic tumblrina feminist would be angry when asked for sources and evidence.

>These preliminary results show that attrition from STEM majors is common: among all students who start college as STEM majors, after 4 years of college, 45 percent of women and 43 percent of the men have left the STEM majors.

>It is also clear that while transitioning into a non-STEM major is the most common off-ramp from STEM (accounting for 29% of female and 23% of male students who begin college in a STEM major), dropping out of college accounts for a significant proportion of students who matriculate in STEM majors (20% of male students and 16% of female students).

Your (shitty) paper's conclusions are these:
1) Men and women drop out of STEM at nearly the same rates.
2) From the dropouts, the men tend to drop out of college altogether a bit more, the women tend to switch careers a bit more.

AGAIN NOTHING RELATED TO THE SHIT YOU SAID, FAGGOT
>>
>>7698937
>If women have reproductive rights then men deserve that too, don't you think?
Yeah, but how would that be put into practice? If reproductive rights for women includes abortion, what would the equivalent for men be? Like, if a man wanted a kid and was willing to take care of it, and the woman didn't, how would that be resolved? I would imagine there being issues with that, since going through with the unwanted pregnancy would affect the woman's ability to work, etc.
>>
>>7698946
>I only read the conclusion
OH Wow
>>
>>7698953
>I only read the abstract
Only the abstract mentions a "gender disparity", quickly corrected by the actual data and then the conclusions. GOOD JOB!
>>
I love you mom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58arQIr882w
>>
>>7698948
Simple.
Lets forget about the methods and just the idea.

Lets say you have a straight couple. They have consensual sex and the woman ends up pregnant.

There are various possibilities.

#1 They both do not want the baby
Easy. The girl goes to the abortion clinic and they are both free.

#2 They both want the baby
Easy. Have your baby.

#3The girl does not want the baby but the guy does not
Tough luck, guy. Your baby is still going to the abortion clinic and nothing you can do.

(Side note: I think this outcome is right. I believe that if both parents do not agree on the baby then the baby should not be born. So if the guy wants to keep the baby but the girl does not then it is sad but the baby should still be aborted.)

#4 The girl wants the baby but the boy does not
Tough luck! The boy will still have to pay child support for a baby that he never wanted and he cannot do anything about it.

It is here that I think we need legal protection. There should be a way for the male to "bail out" and just say that he is not interested in the baby and be safe from having to pay anything. The woman, if she believes she cannot support the baby, is free to abort it and wait until she finds a partner that also wants the baby.

That is all I want. Protection in the 4th case.
>>
>>7698964
Okay, that makes sense.
>>
How to be a fag and not a faggot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBiS4qTsjCg
>>
>>7698924
Just a counter pursuit for femenism.

Like how men have no rights over an unborn child their share the same split of genetic makeup with. Or how divorces cater to women because of the helpless single mom trope. Even though these women claim to be strong independents. Hell, most domestic disputes are instigated by women but men are arrested the majority of the time because of the mean abusive man trope and the frail innocebt damsel in distress trope.
>>
>>7698693
i think it's true that women tend to be smarter than men. i think the testosterone changes the brain development into being more haywire. but the result is that men tend to be better at finding innovative solutions or thinking abstractly
>>
>>7698989
Thank you for adding "I think" to your post at least. It doesn't really matter what you think. Show citations or your claims aren't relevant.
>>
>>7698998
>>Girls do better than boys in math + science
>That is definitely not true.
show yours
>>
>>7698989
Let me rephrase your post in a less sexist way:

The male brain has pros and cons, and so does the female brain.

This still reaches the conclusion that both sexes have the potential to reach the same level of intelligence or success in science.
>>
>>7699002
>That is definitely not true.
Good job putting words in my mouth. Never said this bro! If you make a claim, show evidence for it. If not, your post isn't relevant. It's as simple as that.
>>
>>7699008
>>
>>7698852
>but it would also mean that you shouldn't assume it is false, either?

There were an even number of distinct blades of grass on the white house lawn at 8:32 AM EST on November 14, 1973.
How do I know? You wan't me to provide evidence? Well, I can't.
You don't now actively believe my claim to be true?
Well, there's no difference between failing to actively believe my claim and actively asserting the negation claim.
Why do you think there were an odd number of blades of grass without any evidence, Anon?

This is why people don't take you seriously. Fix that episteme, learn to think critically and rationally.

>>7698889
I've found this to be a general trend among undergraduates, but to be fair most males are extremely mediocre as well (a guy I did orgo with was one of the top scorers on tests in that class but had never read the literature or studied any topics outside his particular courses, and the extent of his "work" was making soap in the lab one week. I'd go so far as to say that male and female undergrads are roughly equal on the average, just that males are overrepresented among the few truly motivated high-potentials. Beyond undergrad, there's really no substantive difference. Male and female working scientists have vastly more in common with each other than either does with an average person from their own gender. The common thread is that all of them are passionate about their fields, worked very hard, and made major sacrifices for the life they chose.
It doesn't irk me when people assert STEM gender bias without evidence so much as it does when people assume this bias could have an instrumental effect or even resemble the biggest challenge/sacrifice an aspiring scientist faces/makes.
>>
>>7699015
>Everyone is the same person
?????

I don't blame him though. If you see some faggot saying things without evidence it's not really wrong to start saying the opposite without evidence. Specially when it's such an outrageous claim.
>>
>>7698693
>>7698730
>Stereotypes keep them away from stem
I'm fairly certain the OP picture means that stereotypes of women keep them from getting employed in the field, not that women are afraid that all STEM students are males who look like slightly more successful versions of r9k posters.

What a wonderfully derailed thread though.

>>7698964
>Lets say the girl does not want the baby but the guy does not
>Tough luck, guy. Your baby is still going to the abortion clinic and nothing you can do.
>Your baby
>A fetus is a baby

If you don't oppose abortion in general, there's no reason to feel upset about that.

>The girl wants the baby but the boy does not
>Tough luck! The boy will still have to pay child support for a baby that he never wanted and he cannot do anything about it.
>That is all I want.

Okay, that's better.

>>7698989
>I think this might be true
>I think this other thing might also be true
>and from that, here's my absolutely grounded conclusion!
>>
>>7699006
Theres a reason why women are better nurses than men and men are better technicians than women.

Nursing requires more intuition, technical skills require more analysis.

Both can be excellent in either field, absolutely, but the majority of women just arent suited for technical work, vice versa for men.
>>
>>7699024
stay mad, dork
>>
>>7699035
stay uneducated and unbacked, dork :^)

but wait, you "think" you're backed, right? You kinda feel like you're right, right?
>>
>>7699025
>women are better nurses than men
>men are better technicians than women
[Citation needed]. MORE nurses are women, MORE technicians are men. Good luck proving either is better.

>Nursing requires more intuition
>technical skills require more analysis.
[Citation needed]

>the majority of women just arent suited for technical work
>vice versa for men.
[Citation needed]

Way too many people in this thread spouting bullshit because of how they personally feel.
>>
File: nicholas the madman.jpg (41 KB, 454x597) Image search: [Google]
nicholas the madman.jpg
41 KB, 454x597
>>7699042
dork
>>
>>7698972
>most domestic disputes are instigated by women
[citation needed]

>men are arrested the majority of the time because of the mean abusive man trope and the frail innocebt damsel in distress trope.
You'd also need to take into account the nature of the dispute/abuse
>>
>>7698989
Intelligence is the same on average, but men have a larger standard deviation so there's more variance. Sex hormones don't seem to affect intelligence, and don't really make one more or less emotional either, just gives priority to different emotions and emotional expressions. Testosterone makes you want to hit things when upset, estrogen makes you more likely to cry instead.
>>
>>7698730
>Because literally no one talks like that.
/sci/ only talks like that senpai
Not even disagreeing though.
>>
>>7698667
>stereotypes keep them away

why is it so fucking hard for people to understand that girls don't want to do this shit? its long hours of solo work and often requires big chunks of time away from home and family.

I'm a field engineer, basically a glorified on-call mechanic. It's good money, but I have to live in makeshift camps, work weeks at a time with no days off, take goddamn malaria pills, and hang out with a bunch of rough neck turbine technicians.

only turbo dykes want my job.
>>
>>7698989
>i think it's true that women tend to be smarter than men ... men tend to be better at finding innovative solutions or thinking abstractly
What in heaven's name do you think "smarter" means?
>>
>>7698667
Girls get better grades in math and science, right up until they actually get tested on objective work.

The whole "girls are better at school" meme comes from K-12 education, and the shittier parts of college, where grades are treated as rewards for effort and compliance rather than measures of ability.

If you assigned a bunch of randomly-selected 20-year-olds to do a thousand basic arithmetic questions, the women in the group would almost certainly get a higher average score than the men in the group.

Why? Because women are better at arithmetic? No, the work assigned is far below the level of ability of nearly any 20-year-old. Any one of them should have the ability to get a perfect score. The women, however, are more likely to have the inclination to do all the work, and to do it carefully and properly, despite the obvious uselessness and insulting nature of the task. The men are more likely to challenge or resist the authority of an instructor wasting their time.

Girls do better at education in the sense that they get along better with instructors who are inept or incompetent. They're more compliant and approval-seeking.

The difference between men's and women's brains is comparable to the difference in their bodies. In high school, when the boys' brains take off and the girls' brains stop growing, holding the class down to the level the girls can function at, right at the age when the boys' hormones are telling them to push the limits of their developing abilities so they can develop into capable men, makes the boys bored and frustrated.

We are seriously sabotaging, underrating, and discouraging boys, not girls, with the way the education system is set up.
>>
>>7699290
>n high school, when the boys' brains take off and the girls' brains stop growing, holding the class down to the level the girls can function at, right at the age when the boys' hormones are telling them to push the limits of their developing abilities so they can develop into capable men, makes the boys bored and frustrated.
>We are seriously sabotaging, underrating, and discouraging boys, not girls, with the way the education system is set up.

Every young man worth his salt knows high-school isn't challenging and will take calc. classes or at least self-study intro university textbooks. HS is butchered and useless, yes, but you shouldn't take it seriously to begin with.
>>
>>7698667
>girls do better than boys in math and science

Regardless of whether or not this is true, isn't this also a stereotype?
>>
>>7699290
>We are seriously sabotaging, underrating, and discouraging boys, not girls, with the way the education system is set up.

Co-Ed schools were a mistake.
>>
>>7699296
Are you really saying that we should ignore the problems of school and just accept it's useless? Fuck no. We need to try as much as we can to make school better.

The apathy of "things are bad, accept it" is the worst political stance: it's very attractive and the aloofness and "cool" detachment it gives might seem nice, but it's very, very harmful when the people who would actually be capable of fixing stuff don't even care.
>>
>>7699302
It's not apathy. I don't want hordes of successful males saturating intellectually stimulating careers more than it already is.

Society only needs so many engineers and doctors, after that we bricklayers.

That is why I financially support feminist agendas and their lobbying bodies.
>>
>>7699302
>We need to try as much as we can to make school better.

High School isn't for getting an education, its a glorified day care facility that relieves parents of their obligations for a few hours a day.

if you stripped out all the bullshit in HS, and brought it in line with a more university style approach, kids would only be at school for 4 hours a day, 3 days a week.

Any mildly intelligent kid is better off dropping out of HS at 15 and going straight to community college.
>>
>>7699312
>Pretending to be retarded
>On 4chan

Man the fuck up and work to make the world better, not worse.
>>
>>7699315
That's just a meme that misguided smart people spout. You really don't realize how much going to highschool helped you develop your academic knowledge in every subject and your social relations? People who don't go to school end up being absolutely retarded and can't get anything done.

School in general is crucial for development.
>>
>>7699325
>academic knowledge
HS is full of busy work and appealing to the lowest common denominator of intelligence. Also, AP classes are not guaranteed to transfer. The first two years of HS are all you need before you make the transition to freshman college classes, and a good chunk of those two years are filler classes designed to extend the school day closer to 8 hours.

>social relations
This is the only benefit of high school.

>People who don't go to school end up being absolutely retarded and can't get anything done.

I never said don't go to school. Community College is still school. You would still be interacting with educators and other students on an almost daily basis.

The difference is that you will be working towards a credential that is actually worth something.
>>
>>7699290
>Girls get better grades in math and science, right up until they actually get tested on objective work.
>That's least that's how I feel about the subject.

>The whole "girls are better at school" meme comes from K-12 education, and the shittier parts of college, where grades are treated as rewards for effort and compliance rather than measures of ability.
>Well, I think so at least. It's a good guess.

>The men are more likely to challenge or resist the authority of an instructor wasting their time.
>That's what I tried when I got slammed by my teacher for being impassable.

>Girls do better at education in the sense that they get along better with instructors who are inept or incompetent. They're more compliant and approval-seeking.
>I mean my last girlfriend was, that's a data point, right?

>That's the only reason why I'm struggling, I swear.
>>
>>7698667
Smh op asked about the writing on the board. I couldn't find an answer itt
>>
>>7699863
I'm pretty sure it's gibberish. I mean what the fuck is DR(R)? Derivative of the function R with respect to the variable also named R?
>>
>>7698667
> math+science
you can't add 2 terms from different algebraic structures
>>
>>7698772
>because there are twice as many males as there are females, the few females that are in STEM receive four times as much sexism as the general public

obvious bait is obvious. You were doing so well.
>>
>mfw with all of the female teachers, anti-male rigid school environment, coddling, and resultant better average grades in math and science than boys, girls will STILL get whipped in standardized tests

eternal hilarity

and now since this void cannot be bridged even with a severe handicap in their favor, feminists are trying to get standardized tests removed and made irrelevant
>>
>>7699871
This is how I interpret e.g. the first term

[eqn]\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}r}\left(\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}r}R(r) \right)[/eqn]
>>
>>7701505
[math]\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}r}\left(\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}r}R(r) \right)[/math]

I don't understand, preview said it's okay. Trying inline.
>>
>>7701457
They mean on a per person basis, based on a quadratic law.
>>
>>7698989

The statement is not the women are smarter than men, and I don't think that's true anyway. Generally men have a flatter "bell curve" than women, not just intelligence but on many scales--meaning they appear more at the very high ends AND the very low ends of the curve overall.

But, the OP statement just said "girls do better than boys in math + science", which is not "smarter", nor is it really true. The ones who enter the field do every bit as well as men, but not "better", and generally women are more likely to drop out of the field to raise a family (which is a whole different kind of sexism) so don't advance in as great numbers, but it's not related to "doing better".
>>
>>7699024

How did abortion get brought into this??
>>
>>7699325

Also, it cultivates study habits, which are necessary for college no matter how smart you are. Unfortuantely, those of us at the high end of the IQ bell curve can get lulled into believing we "don't need to study" and then when we get to college classes that are actually challenging, we don't have the habits we should have acquired in HS about studying. Tortoise vs Hare and all that.

The folks who make good grades are generally the ones who have the best study habits, NOT the highest IQs. yes, a lot of HS is BS, but aside from socialization, extracurricular devleopment, exposure to basic facts an "educated" person should know, etc, the formation of study habits is the best thing you can get from high school.
>>
>>7699355

Your assertion implies that people always know PRECISELY what they want to do "when they grow up", by the age of 15.

Lots of kids want to be a fireman when they grow up, but we don't pluck them straight out of Kindergarten into the Fire Academy. Many times people aren't even aware certain field exist, until they come across the subject in HS or even in General College requirements, and think "Wow, I would never have taken this class, but I've found my passion" and go into the field with great success.

It's great that you seem to have had a fully-fleshed life plan at the age of 14 and went on to realize it, but the vast majority of people make a lot of false starts, wrong turns, etc along the way before "falling into" what they are actually best at.
>>
>>7698931
bullshit. feminism was from its inception based on the hate of straight white males.
>>
>>7701568
>the vast majority of people make a lot of false starts, wrong turns, etc
There are a lot of us who put in the time and effort to explore a range of interests and intellectual topics instead of whacking off all day as kids. These are the people that middle/high school lets down in the biggest way and who he seems mostly concerned with here.

>>7701562
>Also, it cultivates study habits
MY SIDES
>implying devoting two. full. years. averaging 225 minutes of lecture/week to baby calculus convinces people they need to study instead of the exact opposite
You could not possibly lay it on thicker m8

>>7699290
Amen, brother. Preach it. Screenshot'd and saved.
>>
>>7701595
"No"
>>
>>7698836
They dont rape or oppress like anita says, and you may be one of the men that are totally respectful to women, but at least 1 in every 5 guys is meatheaded, constantly makes passes, sexist comments, and otherwise contributes to a toxic work environment. If it were perfectly 50/50 male to female the problem wouldnt be there, but when it starts becoming 60% male or 70% male, that difference actively pushes women away in a sometimes unnoticeable way. Men are significantly less likely to do early childhood education because its female dominated and they would face sexism and be seen as girly, I dont know why its so hard to think the same thing happens to women in stems.
>>
>>7701568
>General College requirements

this is exactly what i'm talking about doing. everyone, regardless of what major you pick, has to take those classes. so it doesn't matter if you don't know what you want to do, you are acquiring a baseline set of credentials that will allow you to get a fucking job and survive in the real world. a HS diploma isn't good enough for that anymore, and it isn't a prerequisite for college either. so other than hanging out with your friends, there is no fucking point in HS past whatever level you need to reach before you can handle an english 101 or college algebra class.
>>
>>7698667
Nice bait OP
>>
File: 1449116465210.jpg (62 KB, 495x699) Image search: [Google]
1449116465210.jpg
62 KB, 495x699
>>7698871

If you're OP this may be the funniest comment.
>>
>>7701691
>They dont rape or oppress like anita says
I'm glad that feminists seem be getting away from Anita's views instead of supporting her.

> but at least 1 in every 5 guys is meatheaded
Nothing wrong unless they are physically harming women

>constantly makes passes, sexist comments, and otherwise contributes to a toxic work environment
If a man makes sexist comments tell him to fuck right off. If he then gets agressive (which will not happen) you have the law on your side, always. If a man makes a work environment "toxic" then tell him to fuck right off. But toxic does not mean that you think he is checking you out. If the guy actually fondles you or whatever then act. And I'm saying this because you feminists coined the rape "eye-rape" or "stare-rape" or whatever.

>If it were perfectly 50/50 male to female the problem wouldnt be there
This is your problem. The ratio of men to women should not matter at all.

>that difference actively pushes women away in a sometimes unnoticeable way
If women are pushed away because of a couple of assholes saying things they consider offensive then they are probably not fit to do the job. If you want to get to the top, you will have to swallow some shit. Nobody has an easy way to success and there will always be assholes. Men deal with them too and you don't see me posting on twitter #killallassholes.

> they would face sexism and be seen as girly
If I was in that industry and someone thought I was girly I would tell them to fuck off. What people think of me does not affect me and believe that this is exactly your problem. You are too insecure about everything, like all feminists. With women always talking about female scientists, do you never bother to read their biographies or about how they got there? Let me give you a hint: By not giving a fuck about anything but their work, and you should do the same.
>>
A lot of idiots being indenial of women being smarter than men; you guys have to sort your own insecurities.

Women outperform men in education and STEM. STEM circlejerkers, don't like it when they see a hot blonde gal wearing slutty clothes; they can't touch or have sex with, and are kicking their asses in maths test; I love seeing shit like this and how you guys get passively aggressive over it.
>>
>>7701934
How come most PhDs are still males? The patriarchy? Well okay then.
>>
>>7701849
>What people think of me does not affect me and believe that this is exactly your problem.
It does affect how successful you are though.
>>
>>7702004
Why would that be?

This would only affect my career if the people having negative views of myself were my boss because that way he would deny promotions and such. But if I have a case that this is gendered then I am protected by law and can easily sue his ass for a bunch of fucking money.

If the people having negative views of myself were my co-workers then I only have to ignore them in non-work situations because they will certainly not treat me badly in work hours because then I would also have a case against them for sexism.

If the people having negative views of myself were people outside of my work environment then why would it even matter.

We have a law system for a reason and that law system already protects you from any kind of gender or race based opression and if you have evidence of discrimination you can sue anyone and they may even go to jail.
Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.