[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Software engineering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: Uwaterloo_seal.gif (19 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
Uwaterloo_seal.gif
19 KB, 200x200
Night, /sci/.

I'll be straightforward: is software engineering as much of a meme career as computer science? Should I study SoftEng?

Pic related: here is were I will study
>>
>>7682302
see
>>7666077
>>7666083
>>7666085
>>7666086
>>7666087
>>7666090
>>7666094
>>7666098
>>7666100
>>7666103
>>7666104
>>7666106
>>7666107
>>7666109
>>7666112
>>7666116
>>7666121
>>7666124
>>
>>7682302
>software engineering
>not just shitty program design or a worse version of CS
Kek
>>
what's /sci/'s issue with CS? Actually curious about this because I've seen a lot of hate for CS on here and I'm not sure why.
>>
>>7682333
Archives motherfucker, do you even check them?

>>5662999
>I do not hate CS. CS is an umbrella term for many interesting fields of research. However I do feel utter contempt for CS students. As a mathematically minded person I myself studied CS until realizing that I won't get any intellectual qualifications from studying it. BSc programmes in CS are catering to and attracting the most anti-intellectual scum that barely managed to enter university. The usual CS curriculum is already designed in such a way to teach only a bare minimum of math and theory, hardly going beyond high school knowledge. Yet the average CS student fails it. The same people who are spouting wrong platitudes like "CS is all hard math" are the people who think you're a genius for knowing calculus. The pinnacle of idiocy I encountered in CS was a 6th semester student going for his BSc who did not know what a logarithm is.

>>5982685
>With a CS degree alone without further qualifications you are factually unemployable. Neither the primitive GUI design in java nor the shallow hardware, database or network intro will qualify you for a job. The only people getting acceptable jobs with a CS degree are those who either combined it with another degree or who already had a job before because they self-learned important skills. Quite a few CS students openly told me they are only getting the degree just to have something on paper to force their boss to give them higher salary. The job they already had because they started web design / programming / security in high school. Having demonstrable experience in those is more important to an employer than what you learned in CS. The business monkey variety of retards is even more unemployable. Representatives of local industries explicitly said the degree is trash because these people know neither economics/business nor computing.
>>
>>7682333
Either new friend or copy pasta, but I'll answer.
CS is a degree that may have been good at a certain point in the past, but is now just a degree that teaches you how to program. People go into thinking they're geniuses or with the intent to just make video games, and it's horribly cringy.
Source: got two degrees. One in pure math and one in CS with a certificate in cognitive sciences. CS is a joke and I feel shame whenever I mention it to people. Sometimes I say I only got one degree so that my credibility isn't ruined.
>>
>>7682347

>>5981331
>The math and theoretical CS are even more laughable. The only people who complain about their hardness are those stereotypical video game retards who already failed their math classes in high school. All the "muh logical quantifiers", "let's mindlessly apply this symbolic manipulation algorithm", "oh wow, an automaton represents a language" or "holy shit, how do I show this algorithm does what it does" babby crap is shallow and hardly deserves to be called university level. A mathematician or a physicsist who is trained in reading definitions, theorems and proofs can pick up all of a BSc computer scientist's theoretical CS much more indepth by spending one or two afternoons of reading a book.

>>5981333
>The worst thing however are the people going for such a degree. Out of all degrees CS seems to attract the most anti-intellectual scum. I seriously wonder how these people even managed to enter university. Every retard who barely passed high school and spends most of his day playing video games seems to think the must study CS. There are socially inept neckbeards of the retarded variety, hating and repeatedly failing math as well as the most simple programming assignments. There are dumbasses whose high school diploma was too bad to go for an economics degree, hence why they want to enter the business monkey route of CS in the hope of getting a little more than minimum salary. Those are of such subhuman IQ that they do not even understand the semantics of an implication in propositional logic.
>>
Waterloo is a good school. CS is a meme only at shitty American diploma mills which teach you how to program js and python.
>>
>>7682347
oh, gotcha. but you guys think the actual field of CS is cool, right? I mean there's so much cool stuff in it if you're actually into math and in a good program.
>>
>>7682356
Yeah, even if sci hates me for it, I think you can make CS into a reasonable degree. The thing is that nobody actually does.
>>
>>7682356
>in a good program

That is a meme. THERE ARE NO GOOD SCHOOLS FOR CS.
>>
>>7682322
>>7682323
OP here. Should I study physics and learn software engineering by myself then? Is it a better decision?
>>
Senpai don't go to SE if you want actual knowledge/want to do grad school, go to CS/Math faculty, take all the advanced math/cs offered and graduate at the same/higher level of education as any of the top 3 schools. Otherwise if you just want a good job, CS and SE are pretty much equal at UW in terms of employment, with SE usually coming out a little ahead early on.
>>
>>7682521
OP here. I like knowledge better, and pure math looks promising. In the pure math page it says that sample employments are software engineer at google. It looks hard, though. It says it's the career with the less number of students. Bet they're all a bunch of fat cunts that don't accept you in their social group unless you fit in their autistic universe. And don't get me wrong, I love math.
>>
>>7682527
>Bet they're all a bunch of fat cunts that don't accept you in their social group unless you fit in their autistic universe.
This is CS not math. I hang out in the cs department at my uni a lot because my brother and his friends are in CS, and the amount of autism that goes on there is actually painful.

There's a group of weaboos
There's a group of people who are in solely
because
>muh jobs
There's a group of annoying asians who don't have a level of speaking below yelling
There's a group of neckbeards who are in cuz
>muh games

It's worse than highschool.

Compared to physics which I'm in where everyone is chill with one another while still being slightly autistic.
>>
>>7682527
Don't look at any "jobs" or whatever for specific fields; know that most people in pure math are also pretty knowledgeable in CS fields, usually moreso than those simply in "CS", simply because of subject overlap but also because it's usually a hobby for people in PMATH. You can take any program that you want in university and end up as a "Software Engineer" at Google. Now, you're more than likely to be <18 judging by this thread so go find some hobbies and develop passions instead of wanting a shitty mid level job as a "Software Engineer" that anyone with >100 IQ can eventually achieve. It does get sort of autistic when people are at different "skill levels" in the classes (i.e. top 5% vs bottom 50% in terms of grades) but you'll still find people who care about math/learning at various levels in the advanced classes.
>>
>>7682302
software engineering is an actual career where you learn how to program actual complicated programs that are done in the industry.

computer science is the meme.
>>
>>7682515
No
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.