[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sci/ Why does nasa assume that mars will get better? and that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: martian.jpg (3 MB, 4849x2425) Image search: [Google]
martian.jpg
3 MB, 4849x2425
/sci/

Why does nasa assume that mars will get better? and that even our space probs we send there has the potential to contaminate mars?

>Contaminate and potentially cause what exactly?

I am a dummy /sci/ But don't commits and meteors carry shit unknown too? isnt that a theory of how life originated on earth?

Anyway /sci/

I was wondering instead of sending humans to mars... to DIE in the long run... isnt that mars mission the most depressing saddest experiment that will ever happen?

Why shouldnt we send cockroaches and other insects to mars? create a mini eco system for them and see how things evolve..

I know evolution takes thousands of years but if we do this now wouldn't we see some results in 50 or 100 years?

Im not a scientist /sci/ my IQ isnt high

But, i dont see mars as ever being colonized, realistically life there would never be anywhere near as good as earth.
>>
>>7682259
nihilist GTFO
>>
mars is cute
>>
>>7682259
>life originating on earth
If you mean, by supposing another question instead of addressing the original question - yes.

>ever being colonized
Why though, like you said it'll take time.

>why now?
Because plebs - honest to god truth
Most of the people who want to go do it based on a pathological desire to: be an
• astronaut/explorer
• get away from the unclean/doomed earth
• be free of 'x' conspiracy

I've never seen a rational argument for it, and I've heard about 5 very intelligent people advocate for it ( check out David Saintloth if you want an approaching passable argument )
>>
>>7682259
1. there's no pressure in mars or oxygen or the amount of sun required for life to exist
2. also radiation
3. also there's nothing wrong with seeding it with bacteria, BUUUUT if we do then we can't EVER confirm the existence of pre-existing life there, since it could just be our mutated bacteria
>>
>>7682259
>Why does nasa assume that mars will get better?
This isn't what NASA is doing. NASA's like the cops not wanting stray animals running through their crime scene. This is the reason they give on their website:

>Planetary protection practices preserve our ability to study other worlds as they exist in their natural state-avoiding contamination that would obscure our ability to find extraterrestrial life, if it exists, while ensuring prudent precautions to protect Earth's biosphere. NASA's planetary protection policy also is a component in the U.S. adherence to the 1967 United Nations Outer Space Treaty, which requires that states party to the treaty "shall pursue studies of outer space, including the moon and other celestial bodies, and conduct exploration of them so as to avoid their harmful contamination," and also to avoid "adverse changes in the environment of Earth resulting from the introduction of extraterrestrial matter."
>>
>Why shouldnt we send cockroaches and other insects to mars?
Serious answer: because we don't want to risk terrestrial fauna damaging potential extraterrestrial ecosystems before we can even study them.
Fun answer: because Terra Formars
>>
What you don't realize op is NASA has been secretly taking extremophile archea who digest iron oxide and shit out oxygen and has been slowly releasing then on Mars in small packets with each rover. They are prepping the terraforming of the planet with an oxidation event.
>>
>>7682259
If you want, we can send them to Earth to die in the long run if you want.

If someone is willing to pay to go to Mars, and the only condition is doing science while on the ground that robots can't, then what is the problem?
>>
>>7682309
proposing another question that could lead us to the answer of the original question is perfectly fine to me.

if panspermia was to be validated by evidence it would then allow us to find out when, how and where it came from.
>>
File: 1435742103881.jpg (1 MB, 3515x2154) Image search: [Google]
1435742103881.jpg
1 MB, 3515x2154
Because that's what humans do. They look out over vast distances into the void and say to themselves "I wonder what the fuck is out there?" Then they get bored and they go find out. There ya go OP.
>>
>>7682351
>Serious answer: because we don't want to risk terrestrial fauna damaging potential extraterrestrial ecosystems before we can even study them.
I've never really agreed with this to the extent that nasa tries to do.

mars's conditions are so harsh that even if some earth bacteria did start to destroy everything in whatever environment life lives in on mars, it wouldn't be able to kill off all life on mars unless there was some globally connected network of life underground.

we're just wasting time trying to preserve life that probably isnt even there, and even if it is there, probably would not be affected very much by earth bacteria that isn't used to the harsh conditions that mars life is used to.
>>
>>7682329
>platetary protection practices preserve

Nice alliteration.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.