[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What exactly happens when you reach your breaking point? Is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: e7qIAoX.jpg (77 KB, 720x690) Image search: [Google]
e7qIAoX.jpg
77 KB, 720x690
What exactly happens when you reach your breaking point?

Is there a difference between your perceived breaking point and the real one? Say if you are running and feel like you can't run anymore. What exactly makes you feel like that? Could you theoretically run a bit longer? Like say, if you were running in a competition you really want to win and not just working out by yourself?

And that is just an example. I am just curious what it exactly is that prevents you from pushing yourself. People would say it's laziness or lack of will. But surely it's not magic and has to be something that can be explained biologically?
>>
File: 1403647350249.gif (758 KB, 480x600) Image search: [Google]
1403647350249.gif
758 KB, 480x600
mindset
>>
>>8203754
I've experienced two kinds of breaking points - mental and physical.
Especially with physical stuff, the body's exhaustion signals can be ignored for quite a while, but if you're afraid of pushing further, you just give up. True physical exhaustion can't really be overcome by will - if the muscle isn't listening to your brain's commands anymore, having an iron will won't do shit to help you.
>>
>>8203778
I thought about this and wonder: It seems like the belief is that successful people have a stronger willpower. But do they really use willpower?

Say they are working on a project that is very important to them and they are getting tired. They don't need to use willpower really to stay up don't they? The same way you don't need willpower when you are pulling an all nighter playing video games / binge watching a tv show / browsing the web.

But if you had to study for an exam you don't really care about and you get tired then you would have to use willpower and resist the temptation to go to bed.
>>
>>8203754
>I am just curious what it exactly is that prevents you from pushing yourself. People would say it's laziness or lack of will. But surely it's not magic and has to be something that can be explained biologically?
It's not optimal practice in regards to the amount of sucess to constantly push yourself to the 95-100% of your capabilities, because such a push will always require a disproportionately long recovery period afterwards, than if you were just keeping it at 85-90% and constantly just doing amazing stuff.

For physical strain it's actually a wide-held belief and knowledge, but from my personal experience it's also true for mental strain.
>>
>>8203754
He is some insight.
I am pretty sure that i experienced mental breakdown two years ago.
Started to cry for no apparent reason,i could not focus on a single thing,i was speaking to myself ect.
Reasons for this include uni,parents,heat, excessive loneliness and isolation.
Nothing is the same again after and I really cant talk about it with anyone without rolling eyes or looking at me like mentally ill person.
So I decided to just roll with it and got worse which brings me to my current situation being at the lowest point in my life at age of 25.

My advice is be with people that love you and really support you so you can get through it.
If you have any question feel free to ask.
>>
Hitting the wall is a legit biological process that is well studied. When your body runs out of glycogen stores and switches over to burning fat, you feel overcome with fatigue, because that is not the most efficient energy source for intense activity.
>>
>>8203826
are you better now?
>>
>>8203826
>>8203826
Nice scientific insight.

Jk no one fucking cares about your pitiful life. Christ man, a lot of people have it way harder than you and get through life just fine. Talk about first world problems.
>>
>>8203887
I am living in a third world county in ex communist shithole.
Keep your opinions to yourself.

>>8203844
In what sense?
talking about what experienced doesn't solve the issue,things are deeper than that.
In any case thanks for your concern.
>>
>>8203754
>Say if you are running and feel like you can't run anymore. What exactly makes you feel like that?
The fact that you really don't want to keep running.

>Could you theoretically run a bit longer?
If you had sufficient motivation, probably.

> People would say it's laziness or lack of will. But surely it's not magic and has to be something that can be explained biologically?
That's literally what it is you mong. This "free will is magic" meme needs to die.
>>
According to my textbook it's defined as the point where lactic acid production becomes too much to be overcome by your oxygen delivery to tissues. At some point you're probably going to faint from respiratory alkalosis.

You can push for quite a while after you feel tired though, thats you ignoring your bodys signal to stop.
>>
>>8204177
To clarify, alkalosis would be the result of hypocapnia from hyperventilation, acid build-up logically leads to drop of pH in muscle tissue.

I might be talking out of my ass though, correct me if I am.
>>
>>8203754
>you are running and feel like you can't run anymore. What exactly makes you feel like that?

your body

>Could you theoretically run a bit longer

contrary to what you see in movies and TV shows you can't surpass your genetic limit.
>>
>>8204242
>genetic
>2016
>making excuses for fat people
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.