[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alcohol
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4
What's the consensus medfags? Is this stuff harmful or beneficial to health?

Does it depend on the dose alone?
>>
>>8199337
>Harmful
Kind of, and mostly. Especially with chronic consumption.

>Beneficial
In no meaningful ways. The concentrations of beneficial compounds found in red wine are minuscule and occur alongside a number of other metabolic byproducts that give a good portion of the human headaches and much worse hangovers.

The human body is a complex machine, and ethanol and its metabolites net out as toxins, regardless of dose. Booze is for changing your mental state and perception, ie, as a drug. No more to be framed around "health" than dextroamphetamine.

Also, evidence shows it strips dendritic spines and changes their formation behavior afterwards, especially with teenage drinking. Which I did plenty of, but don't really care as a whole.
>>
>>8199346
How do u explain the reduced mortality from cardiovascular disease in moderate drinkers compared to non-drinkers even accounting for exercise?

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/HealthyEating/Nutrition/Alcohol-and-Heart-Health_UCM_305173_Article.jsp#.V4UdGfkrJD8
>>
>>8199398
Ohh God, has that cigarette faggot come back to *prove* that alcohol is good for you, and the negative health effects are a government conspiracy?
>>
>>8199398
Isn't that sort of explained by alcohol working as a thrombocyte inhibitor as well as the "moderate drinking" involving red wine, which contains resveratrol?
>>
>>8199405
bro just because your lungs are black doesn't make them any less healthy or operational, stop drinking the fluoridated tap water and open your eyes
>>
>>8199455
>your lungs are black
I'm pretty sure that's racist.
>>
>>8199449
Probably, hell you could probably get the same 'benefits' by taking aspirin every day.

In general taking chronic low-dose drug taking will end up normalizing to baseline, your body simply gets used to it unless the dose is increased, the overall effect will trend toward 0.
>>
>>8199398
That study is missing the big picture. When they did subsequent studies they found that while French people that drink wine have less heart problems, than for example Americans, they had more liver problems. So in any case you're replacing one disease with the other, and it all balances itself out in the end.
>>
>>8199493
Well yeah, they recommend low-dose ASA for people over the age of 40 with a history of cardiovascular disease in the family, as a type of contraceptive. And ASA is more efficient than ethanol at inhibiting thrombocytes. The resveratrol found in red wine comes from the grapes.

So in theory, all you'd really need is some grapes and an aspirin to achieve the same benefits of "moderate drinking".

>>8199500
True, and the liver is involved in metabolism of cholesterol and clotting factors, both of which are linked to cardiovascular maladies.
>>
>>8199510
y-y-you mean I would have to eat h-h-healthy for me to be h-h-healthy? There is no one drink fix all the maladies?
>>
>>8199519
Sure there is, if its legal in your country to buy human breast milk. Find a donor with antibodies to the diseases you wish to combat and you could survive off this liquid alone indefinitely as it provides complete nutrition.
>>
>>8199523
Pretty sure human breast milk stops being effective after you're older than 6 months.
>>
>>8199523
Do the antibodies still protect after 6 months of age? Thought the efficacy diminished, hence vaccines for infants.
Also, does breast milk contain iron?
>>
>>8199527
Its not efficient to feed an adult on it because it costs the mom a lot of energy to make enough for an adult's calorie/nutrition needs.

The composition of the milk doesn't physically change though, and your body doesn't become worse at using it, apart from lactose intolerance in certain pop.s
>>
>>8199532
Can I get it from my mommy in exchange for some GBP?
>>
>>8199537
Probably not.
Lactation is difficult to induce after it stops, but persists indefinitely if there is demand (see: wet-nurses, women who provided breast milk to wealthy parents' children as part of their caretaking duties)
>>
So if I average 10 beers a day, workout everyday, go to work, do the things I want to, is this bad? I honestly haven't felt this good in my whole life. Make over 6 figures, close to 50, no TRT needed so far, cock hard as hell whenever needed, fuck girls that could be my daughter (sugarbabies so money involved)

We're all going to die someday but I'm having fun heading there. For right now.
>>
>>8199337
> consensus
> nutritional science
doesn't exist
>>
>>8200121
That's alcoholism or trolling.
>>
>>8200121
>10 beers a day
>beer
Wow. Get with the program bud. Just buy bottom shelf grain vodka by the half gallon like the rest of us.
>>
It is literally poison that we've come to enjoy the warning signals for. Drunkenness is your body telling you to stop drinking.
>>
>>8200499
>Drunkenness is your body telling you to stop drinking.
No. Drunkenness is ethanol and its metabolites interacting with your nervous system. In fact, any drunk will tell you, the drunker you get the greater the urge to drink more becomes.
>>
>>8200502
(Indirectly meaning I don't think the experience of being drunk itself is an evolutionary tool to avoid consuming a lot of rotting food. There are a lot of adaptive mechanisms that induce vomiting with certain drug-related triggers, but the actual being drunk is something your brain can't really help. GABA , norepinephrine, and dopamine are ancient systems.
>>
>>8199337
Actual drug fag here - therapist who is CAADC certified and currently in a continuing education course on the physical aspects of drugs and addiction.

In low enough doses, alcohol is more or less benign. The "health benefits" espoused by some are negligible, in that all the "benefits" that one gets from a very low consumption of alcohol can be found through a common healthy diet. A glass of fresh grape juice per day, for instance, provides the same health benefits as a class of wine. Any drinking above the level of one or two alcoholic beverages per day is not beneficial, and becomes extremely harmful very quickly as the amount consumed increases.

Not to get preachy, but besides tobacco, alcohol related premature death and illness is pandemic the world over. It's the single most destructive psychoactive substance known to man in terms of health, crime and economic cost. Aside from the act of drinking being pleasurable for many, there's really nothing good about it at all.
>>
>>8200121
>10 beers a day

Yes. It's very bad. You may "feel" fine now, but keep drinking like that and it will catch up to you much sooner than you think.
>>
>>8200121
>Americans think 10 cans of 3% pisswater is a lot of alcohol
>>
>>8199346
>evidence shows it strips dendritic spines and changes their formation behavior afterwards

what exactly are the practical implications of this? Does it happen regardless of how much/how often alcohol is consumed? Is it reversible if you abstain from alcohol for some time?
>>
>>8199523
Wait, would it theoretically have a protective effect for my children to drink other women's breast milk while babies if, for example, my wife and I both passed them on some specific recessive genes which could cause health problems later on?

Are there any sources on that?
>>
>>
File: Natdesuma.png (36 KB, 140x140) Image search: [Google]
Natdesuma.png
36 KB, 140x140
Since i am incapable to make my own thread, i will be hijacking yours. Say someone is visiting a family member who has alot of prescription meds, what particular meds should one look for?
>>
>>8201477
amoxicillin
that shit is the bomb for middle ear infections
>>
>>8201477

oxycodone, anything ending in -azepam, zolpidem, tramadol, gabapentin, baclofen, sildenafil
>>
Not medfag but from I've been reading it's harmful in any amount. Larger amounts are more harmful.

All the purported benefits had been way overblown.

Interestingly, this is turning out to be the case for weed as well.
>>
/sci/ which alcohol is the most efficient at getting someone inebriated?
>>
>>8201489
I will make sure to do that next time i have a mid ear infection
>>
>>8201494
Thanks
>>
>>8201477
Take everything you find. People like you are not ODing fast enough for my liking.
>>
>>8201503
it's also good for upper respiratory infections man, and a whole lot of other benefitial effects linked to small to moderate consumption.

Also, you might want to get some ciclosporin eye drops, if your guy is an eye drops kind of guy. That shit works wonders for your dry eye.
>>
>>8201517
ciclosporin in eyes is not a meme though.

why would he put lsd in his eyes? what effects did he expect to have?
>>
>>8201518
This reminded me of this guy who would put liquid lsd in his eyes.
>>
>>8201523
He didn't expect them. They actually happened. He described it like taking a sledgehammer to your head or some shit. He said it was mindblowing. Literally.
>>
>>8201513
>people like me
Explain
>>
>>8201526
Degenerate scum. Fuck all of you. I really do hope you die from that shit.
>>
>>8201525
I was hoping that it would be a meth insanity episode where he wanted to experience the visual hallucinations of LSD without the altered mental state.

Fucking junkies srsly. What this guy said: >>8201532
>>
>>8201526
Scum who would steal prescriptions from a family member. KYS
>>
>>8201535
Its all really old stuff. Some from a 11 yr old that used to live there read you can get a nice effect from it. They would never steal medicine anyone relys on im sure.
>>
>>8201535
>>8201533
>>8201532
>>8201513
They've never done prescription meds that werent theirs before, they are just curious on the options they might have.
>>
>>8201543
I can't. I've always taken a million pills. Just drinking on them is a risk.

This thread reminds me of a problem my families been having. My grandfather (80yo) has been taking codeine for a while, and now it seems he's addicted.
He demands his pills on time, he's threatened my grandma with divorce, and my cousin with violence. He use to be the most gentle guy I knew. Anyone have any experience with something like this, elderly with addictions?
>>
Let's say I drink a 6 pack a week in one 3 hour sitting when I'm just hanging out.

Am I being stupid?
>>
He is 80 years old and codeine makes all his pains and worries go away... Cant say i have experience but i dont think he can come back
>>
>>8201494
>tramadol
this x100
>>
>>8201554
No experience, but I do know that addiction to prescription drugs is a rising epidemic. Given that perhaps there is a support group of something, for the family of the addicted and/or for the addicted himself, which you can contact for some advice?
>>
>>8201502
The one with the highest percentage, while still being drinkable(not gonna kill you(well not instantly))...anyways Absinthe is what you are looking for.
>>
>>8201428
To my recollection they largely regrow afterwards in adulthood. If consumed in adolescence there's a long chain of signalling that ends in a catch 22 of sorts, which ultimately changes spine morphology from there on. The brain becomes apt to form "immature" bulby spines, and they don't take on any more mature state. The implication of this on learning and plasticity I find very interesting, given that I lack any memory or learning problems and drank heavily when I was late 16 to 17. I was blackout drunk at least 2 days a night for a year or so.

Research also shows it leads to a state wherein the connects between prefrontal and frontal regions are handled differently, leading to a state called "persistence". Which more or less means the organism ignores the wider spectrum of signals that normally would signal it to abandon or re-evaluate a task, and if it can't find means to do it better, tends to just continue regardless. Which matches me pretty well, though I've always been stubborn and highly opinionated.

There's a lot of literature on alcohol and neurogenesis out there. Look through pubmed, "ethanol dendritic spine".
>>
File: 1468206547651.jpg (67 KB, 1000x500) Image search: [Google]
1468206547651.jpg
67 KB, 1000x500
>>8199337
BEHOLD

THE SAFEST DRUG EVER

Its lethal dose(LD50) is half a KILOGRAM, it is an antipsychotic, the "come down" is euphoric because it is an anxiolytic, it is easily homemade, it is legal, it is considered doping in sports, it reduces chances of suicide(although it increases chances of successful suicides by, like, 95%), it increases life expectancy by X years, it is nootropic in moderate doses, it has calories, it protects your teeth, it makes overserious or superfunny, it is literally Christ's Blood

Just don't drink until you are nauseous
>>
>>8202559
Ethanol is mostly about state of mind. My capacity for performing a given mental operation wasn't really too negatively effected when I retried drinking the other day, despite being pretty trashed. I was already half in the bag when I left for a walk. By the time I was returning I could barely walk, everything was blurring together and had afterimages everywhere. I have flashes in my memory of seeing my neighbor entering their house and thinking maybe I should turn around. Realized I didn't give a shit, continued on.

I returned home and continued programming. To no ill effect.

Could've been an outlier, but alcohol is a much different drug than it used to be for me.
>>
>>8201565
yes, because your question doesn't make any sense.
>>
>>8202600
>effected
affected*
Caught myself.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.