[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to lay out a personal research schedule in mathematics? By
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: SimOne.jpg (27 KB, 852x480) Image search: [Google]
SimOne.jpg
27 KB, 852x480
How to lay out a personal research schedule in mathematics?
By "personal" I mean not necessarily tied to reports to "authorities".

Do you always usually fragment the work into chunks, with dates where you want to produce what sort of result, and do you schedule literature time?
>>
bump?
>>
>>8185263
If you ever read any formal texts, topics always culminate in a 'master equation,' with the prior equations in the topic being inculcated into this equation. Memorize it, and be able to use it for every topic it applies to. The 'integration' half of the text will have you using these equatiins in tandem or on subjects that might surprise you in how they fit.
>>
>>8185263
From someone who almost exclusively self-studies: don't schedule anything. Just set aside as much time as you are willing to invest each day, and start reading stuff that piques your interest. The second your interest has fled, you ought to start learning another math thing (perhaps related to the last). Keep following your sincere curiousity, and everything else will fall into place.

Also, keep a notebook to scribble down your own ideas. Anybody can do math research, and you will mature in extraordinary ways if you get in the habit of proving questions that come to mind, or at least posing conjectures. If you ever hit academia for real, you will be leaps and bounds ahead as far as comfort with doing research is concerned.

This has worked very well for me. I hope it works for you as well.
>>
>>8185742
what exactly are you right now? as in education level/ occupation, age etc?
>>
>>8186011
Second year math undergrad at a community college, hoping to transfer to a nice state university. I started self-studying in high school, though.
>>
>>8186151
What's the best way to go about taking notes?
>>
>>8186157
I think of it as a mind palace (at the risk of that sounding conceited?), so basically if you have a new thought, jot it down like you are talking to yourself. I don't take actual notes unless it's a very very important definition or theorem, or if it blows my socks off. The process of writing something down cements it in the mind in a way that only thinking about it does not.
>>
>>8185742
>don't schedule anything
It took me a few years to realize this.
>tfw no longer suicidal when you start studying an hour later than scheduled
>tfw able to study all day when the study gods are on your side and don't have to cut it short to 'save your energy'
>>
>>8187822
Exactly! It's great. My life is so much more relaxed and enjoyable, and studying is a pleasure when done on my own terms. That makes for far more efficient information storage.
>>
What did I do wrong that people interpret my thread as a pleb teen asking?
>>
>>8185742
>don't schedule anything.
this will fuck you over. when you have deadlines and multiple courses and projects you need to schedule your time to make sure you have enough time allocated to each task
>>
>>8187906
it's projection, since most people on /sci/ are pleb teens, they assumed so must you.

when they hear the term "literature", they think of their khan academy bookmarks

I would say setting certain subgoals and then working towards them within a organized study schedule sounds like a good plan.

also talk to your prof, dude
>>
>>8187906
because if you werent a pleb teen you'd already know the answer
>>
>>8187962
pleb teen detected
>>
>>8185263

I go by my energy. If I have a lot of energy/desire to still do it, I do it.

I just finished doing stats for around 5 hours. I was heading into a 6th, but I was losing focus. So, here I am. I was about to go read a book for a while, eat dinner, and then try again.

As for how, I go slow relatively slowly. I make as many connections as possible to stuff from earlier in the chapter/previous chapters, and if I get stopped up by something, I go and google it. Then I'll do most/all of the exercises. I also generally review all of the stuff I did the day before in the morning.
>>
>>8187971
good one
>>
>>8185610
Nigger are you serious?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.