[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Okay I'm stupid but please help me explain how torque works
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: stupid.jpg (23 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
stupid.jpg
23 KB, 500x300
Okay I'm stupid but please help me explain how torque works on bolts

Like for example, lug nuts. It's recommend to tighten them to 89 ft lbs of torque. What does this mean? How much torque can a normal person put off with JUST box wrench ( ball park )? How much of a torque mutliplier is a ratcheting wrench?
>>
>>8153408
And can someone tell me how ft lbs translates to human strength? Or does it not work that way because torqueing something to 89 lbs feels a fuck ton more heavy than moving 89lbs
>>
Torque is just force but in a circlular or curving direction, so it's mainly used when rotating bolts and other things.

Moving something 89 pounds isn't really comparable to torqueing something 89 pounds. When you're moving something, you're just fighting against the friction. So if that 89 pound thing had wheels, it would be more like 9 pounds, or if it didn't, maybe 34 pounds after friction. When they say 89 pounds of torque they mean a full 89 pounds, all of it applied to the object. It would be more comparable to lifting up something that's 89 pounds off the ground
>>
>>8153410
>And can someone tell me how ft lbs translates to human strength?

Well, it depends on the length and gear ratio of the wrench you're using.

If you have a 1:1 wrench (god forbid) and it's 1 foot long, then 89 ft lbs feels like 89 lbs. If you take the same wrench and stick a 1 ft steel rod on the end of it, then 89 ft lbs feels like 49.5 lbs. switch out the wrench for a 1:3 one and it feels like 16.5 lbs.
>>
>>8153410
To add to >>8153420, remember also that you increase torque applied by the same force by using a longer wrench - that's why it's ft lbs and not lbs. So trying to compare what you "feel" vs another activity is only relevant to the force you are putting in, not the torque at the other end.
>>
Torque is the object being pushed into itself in order to add up to that amount of force, so you're compressing molecules to all push back on each other at 89lbs.

Your wanting the nut to be pushing on the threads harder than the object being held will push the nut, so the difference doesn't make the nut come loose, right?
>>
>>8153423
I sincerely hope you are trolling.
>>
>>8153421
Okay, I have a 7" box wrench. What does that mean torque wise.

Now, what kind of multiplier is it with torque wrenches? How does that work?
>>
>>8153453
>Okay, I have a 7" box wrench. What does that mean torque wise.

It means that to apply 89 ft lbs of torque you need to apply a perpendicular force of around 127 lbs to the end of your wrench.
>>
>>8153453
>Now, what kind of multiplier is it with torque wrenches? How does that work?

A torque wrench takes advantage of special gears to make it as if you were turning a very very long wrench. There's a little meter on it that tells you the total torque you're applying.
>>
>>8153460
>A torque wrench takes advantage of special gears to make it as if you were turning a very very long wrench.
Wait really?
I thought torque wrenches just had a setting you could set it to so you apply exactly that much torque without going over.
>>
>>8153408
look up "moments" in physics, OP
>>
>ft lbs
>not Nm
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.