[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
EE student in fourth semester here I have good grades but no
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: tesla.jpg (420 KB, 724x947) Image search: [Google]
tesla.jpg
420 KB, 724x947
EE student in fourth semester here

I have good grades but no fucking idea what Im doing

will my future work colleges figure out?
>>
>>7670906

rest calm OP, they all feel the same way.
>>
Electromagnetism, how do they work?
>>
>>7670972
This has been the single biggest thing inhibiting me learning about much of anything.

It doesn't matter how it's explained. It doesn't matter what I read. There's just something that doesn't quite click, because I feel like something important is missing. I've developed a very bad habit of obsessing over what makes the most base layers of the universe tick, and losing sight of how easy it is to figure out how something behaves on a higher level if you just look at it.

I'm too afraid of being wrong. So I don't even try to work from the top down, and it's hard to unlearn.
>>
>>7670906
>I have good grades but no fucking idea what Im doing

Elaborate please. Im actually third year so maybe I can help?
>>
>>7670991
I know a physicist who is a prominent researcher in his late 30s who still doesn't have an intuitive understanding of what entropy is (not an exceedingly important concept in his field).

Abstract concepts take time to learn. You need to obsess over them and keep learning about it from different perspectives until it becomes more fundamental to your wiring than breathing. The problem is that most professors (and textbook authors for that matter) have already done this and they expect you to have the same intuitive grasp over the concepts.

I would suggest looking for alternative textbooks, applications etc. but it's not as important as you think as long you hard wire the methods you already have you will eventually gain a better intuitive understanding because you'll be working with the concepts every day.

Whatever you do don't be one of those handwavy assholes who think they're intelligent and convince themselves they've immediately grasped it -it doesn't really matter what your IQ is you will rarely grasp abstract concepts entirely on your first exposure. Your are already on the right track by admitting to yourself that you don't fully understand the concept and it's entirety of applications.
>>
>>7670906
Laplace transform?
>>
>>7671022
much inspiring

ty
>>
i only know S=lnk
>>
>>7672249
And that's wrong to matey
>>
>>7670906
Man everything will clear up to you by the time you're finishing your 4th year. Especially if you go masters, after those 5 years (if you don't repeat any year) you will definitely know what you're doing. Actually maybe you won't know much, but you will know the direction in which you're supposed to be heading, trust me.
>>
What is it you are actually struggling with? I might be able to help however EM is kind of non-intuitive. As an EE you only need to know how to apply the equations most probably ( I don't know my background is in Physics)
>>
Having been a machine repair tech for over 20 years, one thing i have found out is that zero engineers grasp 75% of anything. The most dangerous ones are the ones who believe that A: they are gods gift to engineering, or B: they know it all and nothing changes. Having worked on their pieces of crap machines, me without a college degree, but a very firm grasp on mechanics and metallurgy can spot defects a mile away. My advice is 1: as others have said, believe you cant know it all, but try. 2: honestly listen to those, even though they may be in a different field, they may help you and may actually clarify a concept you have been working on. 3: reviait past projects every so often, apply your new knowledge aquired to old projects, it pays off occasionally. And 4: understand that everyone, no matter how much they pat themselves on the back, doesn't know it all nor view things the same way as you. .. and thats ok! College makes you book smart, years give you experience. Its okay not to know, but admit it and as you are, keep learning! Best to you!
>>
>>7672249
s = jw boi
>>
File: Faraday-Millikan-Gale-1913.jpg (942 KB, 1408x1880) Image search: [Google]
Faraday-Millikan-Gale-1913.jpg
942 KB, 1408x1880
>>7670906
The fact that you are worrying ,to me, means that you care enough to be great. You will find, once coming into new field, that only a couple of people really know what they are doing and they are usually in charge. You will be given plenty of time for trial and error for your work to ensure it is successful. You will probably realise that not many people know what they hell they are doing and it will all work out with you being on the top one day.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.