[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you people believe that is it possible to learn Math from
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: Never-Stop-Learning.jpg (328 KB, 627x342) Image search: [Google]
Never-Stop-Learning.jpg
328 KB, 627x342
Do you people believe that is it possible to learn Math from 3rd grade to Discrete Math by doing 6 hours a day, every day, for a year?

The subject is me. This isn't a discussion about my Career Path since I'm 27, I have a dead end job and I'm planning to start learning Math by myself, something I've always struggled with. This thread is about giving me a general idea of what I'm up against. I've always loathed Math for various reasons. I didn't get it, too complex, Teachers weren't always present, I was always prone to forget about it because I felt like an idiot and people made fun of me.
So I gave literally up and felt like shit and I went nowhere in my life.

So give me an honest opinion, would it be possible?
>>
>>8115644
Yes, but I don't think its possible to study math for 6 hours a day every day for a year. Not for the average person anyways.

You don't really need to know too much. You can skip any trig, calc, and geometry you run into, probably.
>>
>>8115644

Just buy a basic book and start there before you worry about doing 6 hours a day for a year.
>>
I'm an engineering student. For me math is just like anything else, if you're smart enough to read intellectual books you should be smart enough to learn math.

Studying mathematics(and everything basically) is all about splitting up bigger problems into smaller, easier ones.

The first time you read a subject it will be difficult to understand, let it rest a little bit and come back and it should be easier, then continue untill you master it.

You really don't need to be that smart to understand mathematics. Solving actual problems is another issue ofcourse which often does require more intelligence.

I encourage every type of learning, it doesn't even matter which subject. But math should be the best thing to learn since its the basic of every serious science and it helps analytical thinking. Good luck and start studying I'd say.
>>
And like the others said, you really don't need to study 6 hours a day. It will probably not be efficient. An hour or 2 every day should be more than enough
>>
>>8115644
Yes, it's possible if you enjoy it. Just remember not to move onto the next topic if you don't understand the current one completely. Many kids fuck this up at school, when they don't really understand something but go on with monkey-see-monkey do, and end up hating math because they had built on a shaky foundation.

E.g. If you don't understand WHY you can add/subtract equations in a system of equations, you shouldn't go like "oh well, I got the same results as in the book, so I'm doing good". If you don't understand WHY you do something, just go on math.stackexchange and ask it; there'll be people to explain it.
>>
>>8115644

Assuming an hour or 2 a day:

Arithmetic: <1 month
Algebra: 3 months
Trigonometry: 1 month (skippable)
Logarithms/Exponentials: 2 week
Discrete Math: 2 months

Doable. If you want to go further into Calculus, that's going to take more time
Calculus: 4~8 months
Vector Calculus: 2 months
Probability: 4 months
>>
>>8115644
Your problem is analogous to a non-CS major trying to learn programming. It's become a pretty intimidating task - choosing your language, your source of instruction, your libraries/packages etc.

So, the best way to learn is backwards. Have a problem and work towards a solution. You could probably ask someone here to give you something like that, which would have you progressively solve harder and harder questions.

Oh, depending on why you want to learn math, you don't need to go all the way up to discrete math. I'd say even basic algebra can suffice for most non-numerical careers. Paul lamar notes is your friend.

I personally needed to powerlevel my statistics due to being the only guy at work that believes in numbers (and therefore get assigned all the number/programming shit, despite being a chemist). Yes, you heard that right. Belief in numbers is considered odd.

Good luck OP! You're going to make it :)

Oh, and quality> quantity, but to learn examples, you want to hammer shit out. Ex: Factorisation of quad equations? Do a hundred of those everyday for a week, until you start seeing them in expanded form. After all, that's what most of us had to do, we've probably done it thousands of cumulative times by now. Do ALL the legwork.
>>
It is possible for a few days.
>>
>>8115658
>You don't really need to know too much. You can skip any trig, calc, and geometry you run into, probably.
At this point I feel like I should go all in, study even the things I might not need in my life.
Maybe at some point I'll need them.

>>8115671
>if you're smart enough to read intellectual books you should be smart enough to learn math.
Define "Intellectual Books" You mean Classic literature and Story?

>You really don't need to be that smart to understand mathematics. Solving actual problems is another issue of course which often does require more intelligence.
It was always the other way around for me, people telling me that I needed to be smarter, that I would never fix my gaps in math.
This thread is kinda motivating.

>>8115672
>>8115679
>An hour or 2 every day should be more than enough
That seems doable... If I actually make it'll make me feel so stupid and so good at the same time.

>>8115693
>Your problem is analogous to a non-CS major trying to learn programming. It's become a pretty intimidating task - choosing your language, your source of instruction, your libraries/packages etc.
Funny thing: I actually considered CS as a degree after finishing High School but decided not to due to the sheer amount of Math present.
I loved Coding... seemed the best thing to do at the time.

>Good luck OP! You're going to make it :)
>Oh, and quality > quantity, but to learn examples, you want to hammer shit out. Ex: Factorisation of quad equations? Do a hundred of those everyday for a week, until you start seeing them in expanded form. After all, that's what most of us had to do, we've probably done it thousands of cumulative times by now. Do ALL the legwork.

Fuck, I expected something like "No, you're fucked, it's too late for you." and now I'm getting all this suggestions and tips and the thing seems so doable I might even reconsider a lot of stuff that's happening in my life right now.

For real, thanks a lot.
>>
>>8115679
FOUR TO EIGHT FUCKING MONTHS FOR 6 HOURS OF DAY LOL ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND

unless op has the iq<100 or the mental concentration of a toddler he can literally cover it in a week (provided he has the background knowledge of basic maths)
>>
frankly it shouldn't take you nearly that long

calculus and discrete maths are another story depending on deep you want to go, but to learn highschool algebra and trig shouldn't take you more than a month. i had to do this very same thing when i switched to CS.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.