[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what does a math major even do after college? Work for a lame
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: ooganooga.jpg (3 KB, 145x90) Image search: [Google]
ooganooga.jpg
3 KB, 145x90
what does a math major even do after college?
Work for a lame company?

I-I'm scared
>>
And before someone asks, I majored in it because I wanted a personal learning experience. I am pretty damn good at math, but fuck I kind of regret my decision a bit now because no jobs
>>
>>8109385
If you're an applied math major, or specialize in some form of Operations Research, you'll be in like Flynn to get a good job at any large tech or logistics based company.

If you specialize in probability and stochastic systems, you can easily get a job with any quant trader or financial firm with a quant shop. They make good money as well.

If you can do any form of machine learning, you are also in a good position to get a solid job.

If you don't qualify in those areas, aren't good enough for academia and can't find some way to apply your skill set it may be difficult to find a solid job.
>>
>>8109391
Not OP here, but need some advice all the same. I'm going to college in the fall and I'm really stuck in between majoring in Applied Mathematics, Actuarial Sciences, or Finance.

I really want to get into Financial Engineering, but my school doesn't offer that major, and Actuarial Science is the closest degree to mixing Finance, Applied Mathematics and Computer Science (mainly programming).

I just don't know if Actuarial Science is very marketable compared to a Math major and Finance minor.
>>
>>8109397
Actuarial science is very marketable as most companies will use it. From a popular perspective, it might not seem very marketable as people have come to associate it with nothing but insurance, which is a ridiculous proposition.

I think as long as you branch out well enough and do research projects/take courses in other areas as to fit your future job perspectives you should be okay.

With regards to the finance minor, it is easy as an actuary (or anyone with a math background) to say on a resume that you do so and so and also specialize in financial engineering and be respected (or at least taken seriously) by a company because of the math background. There reverse is not always true, depending on the mathematical reputation of your institution's finance program.

If you have any other questions, I'm an OpsRes/FinEng (ORFE) Princeton student and would be happy to help.
>>
>>8109420

Are you undergrad or masters?
>>
>>8109420
Thanks for your advice. I appreciate it because the subjective opinions I've read across multiple boards hasn't been conclusive, or sourced in any practical information.

It isn't Princeton, but UT Austin has a great business school. I'm not in the program, but instead am in the Mathematics major currently, but internally transferring shouldn't be too difficult.

What is OpsRes?
>>
>>8109480
Operations Research.
UT Austin is a fine school. Just be wary about ensuring that employers and others are aware of your quantitative background and don't group you in with the non-quantitative. Same problem happens here with the "economics math track" students.
>>
>>8109385
Joins a band with two drummers
>>
>>8109385
I'm a math major about to graduate.

>>8109386
Same exact position as me.

I am now trying to become an actuary. I hope this pans out.

To anyone not yet in college, I recommend math AND any other degree. Like Economics, Finance, or Computer Science. Math + one of those degrees as well would be golden.

Or Actuarial Science as well. Math + another degree is excellent. As someone now trying to find a job with just the math major, I wish I had followed that path.

But I took programming courses, economics courses, finance courses, and actuarial courses, so I'm not completely lost here.
>>
>>8109385
I'm a math major just finished with junior year. This summer I'm forking in Operations for an investment bank. So there's always that.
>>
>>8109623
At my school, the business school is Wharton, so I think of finance and economics majors as having their entire lives made for them.

For that reason, I'm inclined to say fuck math and go for anything related to business or finance at all, even though I majored in math and I regret not having taken my own advice here.

Math + another degree (Finance or Computer Science) is excellent.
>>
File: jamacian CQC techniques.webm (2 MB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
jamacian CQC techniques.webm
2 MB, 640x640
>>8109385
>what does a math major even do after college?
As far as I understand it they remind everyone how smart they are until their friends and family sacrifices them in a ritual to Baal.
>>
>>8109385
You can always become a code monkey.
>>
>>8109631
Jesus Christ that bitch is dead
>>
>>8109691
NAACP scholarship, years of university training, all to wind up sacrificed in the name of our lord Baal.

RIP
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.