[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bacteria
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: petri_dish.jpg (146 KB, 1000x666) Image search: [Google]
petri_dish.jpg
146 KB, 1000x666
Can someone explain me just how much Bacteria is there in our environment and when exactly does it get harmful and just what harm can it cause?
Some example scenarios:

You take your laptop with you in college. There you put it on the tables that are used by many people. Let's say you let a guy type on it who didn't wash his hands after the toilet. At home you take that laptop in your bed and after using it you don't wash your hands and continue to touch things inside your house. What can happen?

Or if you use the keyboard in the college library that probably hasn't been washed in a long time. And then with the same hands eat a sandwich.

Or you drink a soda that you bought in a store straight from the can.

Or you step over dried bird crap that didn't stick and then take those shoes inside home.

Or you have a dog that jumps around the house and your furniture.

Or you touch the faucet in a public toilet. Isn't that full with bacteria?

And just what would happen if you sat down with you bare ass in a public toilet?

And what if despite shaking your dingus the last drop ends in your pants?

What can happen if you eat food at a cheap place that doesn't respect hygiene too much?
>>
>>8094212
You could attain a stronger immune system, or get a cold or things of that nature if you're unlucky. Basically unless the news headlines says 'SARS' , 'Ebola' or similar nothing very bad will happen as a result.
>>
there are bacteria everywhere, they live on you, they live in you, they eat your shit, they shit where you eat, you eat their shit, you cannot stop them, you need them, they can kill you

your skin is an excellent barrier, your immune system is an awesome killer, just wash your fucking hands, and don't be a germophobic dingus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_microbiota
>>
You are surrounded by bacteria literally every moment of your life. Countless bacteria are living and reproducing in your gut right now.
Passive exposure to bacteria is generally beneficial, and is considered essential to the development of your immune system as a child.
Bacteria are only bad when the wrong kind get inside you and reproduce without control.
For example, the Staphylococcus bacteria that causes deadly staph infections, lives natively on your skin. It's always there. It only can kill you if it gets past your skin.
Tl;dr, bacteria is everywhere. Pretty much if you don't suck on your fingers after touching dirty surfaces without washing, and don't have open wounds, you don't have much of anything to worry about.
>>
>>8094342
So wait. What happens if I cut myself on something? What if it happens outside and I don't have a patch and disinfectant ready?
>>
The majority of the cells in your body are bacteria. You are minority-human.
>>
>>8094387
That's per cell, not by mass.
>>
>>8094405
Well, if we're going by mass, the weight of gut fauna in your average human weighs as much as the average human brain.

So who's in charge?
>>
>>8094212
Most bacteria are either neutral or beneficial.

Only a tiny fraction are dangerous.

You are swimming in an ocean of bacteria, and filled with a sea of bacteria, so if this were not the case, you'd be dead.
>>
>>8094408
I am, until the prokaryotic bastards try to unionise. Then I'll give myself a bleach enema and have the last laugh.
>>
>>8094357
Following up your question with my own: Is there a difference between surface cuts drawing blood and deeper cuts in terms of disinfection? For some reason, I assume a shallow surface cut is less of a concern, but under my rough biology knowledge they would be pretty much the same.
>>
>>8094413
Shallower cuts give pathogens less immediate access to your circulatory system. Capillaries can get shut down by clotting preventing them from becoming established systemically. Also, the structure of your dermis impedes their spread.
>>
>>8094357
Nothing. Unless you cut yourself so bad your flesh starts rotting, in which case you're probably going to bleed to death if you leave it untreated anyways.

For your average cut, the worst case scenario is scarring, and that's not really bacteria's fault.

There's a shitton of bacteria outside of you, AND inside of you, it's not something to worry about. Viruses are generally a bigger problem. Bacteria just wants to live - viruses, on the other hand, hijack your cells.
>>
I think virus are more interesting than bacterias, there viruses that eat bacteria called bacteriophages.

Also this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_mXDvZQ6dU

And this https://www.technologyreview.com/s/406809/bizarre-bacterial-creations/
>>
>>8094357
Then the immune response kicks in, which 99% of the time will kill the bacteria before any infection occurs. Your body has an elaborate and magnificent defense system, which is why you aren't dead by now.
Every second of every day your immune system is fighting to prevent bacterial infections.
>>
>>8094429
>Bacteria just wants to live
This. Really the reason bacteria have the effect that they do on the human body is the poisons they passively emit.
>>
>>8094412
you'll think about it when you get a terminal cancer
>>
>>8095075
muh exotoxins, released by the bacteria through metabolic process. Muh Lipopolysaccharide (endotoxins) released when a gram negative dies. The pathogenic ones sure have a funny way of saying thank you for letting me feed on your nutrients, granted they are not all pathogenic. Most are not actually.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.