[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is college better than high school?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: UCLA campus.jpg (171 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
UCLA campus.jpg
171 KB, 1024x768
Is college better than high school?

I'm going to college after summer and I'm wondering if your experience with college was better than high school.

Also, what did you study and at what school?
>>
>HS
Loner, no friends, even bullied, people didn't think much of me and assumed I was bottom of class

>College
VP of student gov, laid by secretary of student gov, gave graduating class speech, 3.7 GPA, various academic honors and awards, known throughout university, even after graduating, featured on college ads, studied political science, ended up working in law and graduating with two other job offers

College was infinitely better. Now:

>25, working in law, moved out of mom's (have a roommate), and make $40,000/yr

Might go to law school. Might not.
>>
high school:
>thought about killing myself
college:
>actually tried to kill myself
it didn't work
>>
>>28721895
I great to see you made the most out of college. Like op, I start after summer and I only hope it'll be as fulfilling. Really liked going to high school too, though. Sad that it's over. It was a friendly environment with no stupid teen shit like bullying and fights. Not American so its probably not comparable to schools you went to but w/e
>>
HS
> had fun, learned shit

Uni
> had fun, learned shit

They were exactly the same for me. Cool people in both and interesting shit. No friends ever, but I bantered with everyone.
>>
>>28721895
That's cool. So was college any fun?
>>
>>28721895
This

HS:
>zero friends, spent every lunch reading in the library
>classes are either bullshit sjw-tier shit or mindlessly boring
College
>immediately make 3 close friends
>after that get huge friend circle
>10 of which I consider really close friends, eat with at least 2 of them every meal, see all of them daily
>day is filled with fun activities
>love my classes, genuinely interesting and I love what Im studying
>have two best friends I can do anything with

Still no gf though. Looking to change that next year.

Advice for you OP: make friends QUICK. I know everyone gives this advice but really just find someone, talk to them, grab a meal with them and then just stick with them. It doesn't even matter if you like them. If you do, you'll stay with them and become friends. If you don't, they'll introduce you or you both will meet new people and make your friend circle bigger, and that's how you make real friends.

I met my first real friend by him randomly showing up at my dorm. I hadn't seen him before nor did he, he just randomly showed up in the first week of school and started talking. Grabbed dinner afterwards and everything just fell in place.

Though don't expect this to happen to you. Go out and show up in random people's doors. Go out and sit with someone. Don't wait for other people, start interactions yourself. Trust me, the first few weeks everyone is open to meet any new people. But you have to HURRY. Friend circles close and become tight quickly. After the first 3-4 weeks it becomes 100x as hard to join in a friend circle.
>>
>>28721811
fuck USC is so beautiful

I visited my friend from USC after I graduated and I immediately regretted not applying there. There's a fucking film studio on campus for Christ's sake

it's such a shame it's in the ghetto though
>>
It really depends. I know a lot of people that were able to find a great deal of success in college, but I was not one of them. Around my sophomore year, I fell into a slump and struggled getting out of bed each morning. I felt hopeless and alone. I hated what I was studying, and the school I attended didn't offer any program I was interested in. My GPA was also too low to transfer anywhere else.

Now I've got a whole lot of debt and nothing to show for it. My aspirations are all permanently out of my reach. Be careful.
>>
HS

Had fun, did nothing

Uni

Had some fun, got crushed by studies

High school is great.
>>
>>28721895
>"working in law"
>25, $40k salary and "might go to law school"
lmaooo dying even thinking about someone saying this irl
>>
It really depends on your high-school, your college and yourself.

I'm a giant autist who can barely talk to people, but I went to a highschool were everyone was nice and got along so even I managed to be happy enough there because it forced me to be around people and get to know them. I even managed to make some friends. In college people are just as nice, but since we're not consistently forced to be around the same people and since I commute I haven't even made a single acquaintance, let alone friend.
>>
In my case, no. If I were to rank it: High School > College > Middle School

In high school I was pretty normal and had a dozen or so friends whereas I was bullied in middle school. College I was a loner. I joined some student organizations but wasn't really invited to any parties. I suspect a lot of this had to do with the fact that I commuted to school and in addition there were some cultural barriers I had to overcome. The majority of my classmates were international students from Hong Kong and mainland China. I just wasn't able to make too many friends.

I ended up graduating college a kissless virgin. It was a very bittersweet moment.

I even deliberately failed a semester in the vain hope that I'd manage to get laid before I graduate. That didn't work, lol

Things are a bit better now as a comfy NEET. Strangely enough I'm actually pretty content with my life right now.
>>
>>28722115
Thanks, that sounds like great advice. The show up at people's dorms sounds like a good idea when everyone is looking for friends.

What are you studying?
>>
>>28722148
Fuck, that sounds scary. I was able to breeze through high school and I'm kinda afraid that I will not be able to adapt my studying techniques for college and have a hard time.

Hope it gets better for you.
>>
>>28722281
The studying techniques you used in high school should be sufficient. Doing well in college has a lot more to do with finding the motivation to study and build a career than anything else.

People who party too much or on the other extreme don't party at all will find their motivation to study sapped. I was in the second camp. You're basically going to college to get a better life but if your social life sucks in college it's hard to muster the motivation to study for a thermodynamics midterm.

My only advice is to try to make as many friends as you can on the first few weeks. Also make sure you have a good, realistic idea of what you want to do after you graduate and work towards that.
>>
>>28722281
I wasn't exactly a great student in high school, so I should've expected this to happen. As long as you put in enough work , you'll probably pass everything. And if you're feeling depressed, tall to someone about it. I probably could have saved myself a lot of trouble if I did.

Most of my friends that did the same had a great time in college.
>>
>>28721811
Somewhat, but still:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrxI_euTX4A
>>
>>28722115
>Advice for you OP: make friends QUICK.

If there's one takeaway from this thread this would be it. College is not like High School, you need to actively socialize to make friends.
>>
>>28721895
are you braggin about 40k a year?
you do realize lawyers make 100-160k a year depending where they work?
>>
File: ComradeButterfly.jpg (217 KB, 926x853) Image search: [Google]
ComradeButterfly.jpg
217 KB, 926x853
>>28721811
I did well academically my first year of Uni, but I had zero friends (I went the entire year without having a conversation with anyone other than professors, parents, and clergymen). By contrast, in HS, I had about six friends and even nearly had a gf at one point (this one girl in my speech class sophomore year would hold my hand while talking to me).

Actually went insane for a while due to the loneliness (got diagnosed with some mental illnesses, which, while I have always had, became more prominent).
>>
>>28722811
Networking, period, is essential. You don't necessarily need friends. Just meaningful enough professional relationships.
>>
>>28721895

>$40k a year

Nigga I'm still in Uni and I make that from my side job working on engines
>>
>>28721811
>HS
Depressed

>College
Depressed

>Now
Depressed, but employed. At least I make more than this cuck >>28721895.
>>
Only if you were a normie in disguise during high school.
>>
Most of the issues of high school are just exaggerated in college.
>>
>>28725340
Like what? I've never heard this before.
>>
>>28721811
>Is college better than high school?
No. The girls are even bigger whores and everyone is even meaner than in HS.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.