[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vandwelling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 8
File: ssss.jpg (416 KB, 1536x1024) Image search: [Google]
ssss.jpg
416 KB, 1536x1024
Anyone ever consider doing this?

I'm so fucking sick of slaving away for mr goldstein that I decided to save up for a van, get on autism bux and travel the country while living in a van

i am fuckng done with everything fuck modern society fuck chad and fuck stacey
>>
>>28698832
I did when I was having some bad times at home. I thought that maybe it'd be cheaper than renting a place, but I ran the numbers in a realistic scenario, and it ended up being quite the opposite. There's gas, insurance, parking, maintenance and parts, food and incidentals are gonna be more expensive because you can only buy and use on small scales, you'll have to buy water or water purification systems because you don't have a hookup, generating electricity will be inefficient and expensive, etc. There's also a large startup cost in acquiring and modifying a van for long-term living, and there's a lot of stuff that you might not necessarily have the expertise to do properly, if at all.

>autism bux
>travel the country
pick one. you need a permanent address for that shit, and if you're self sufficient enough to live on your own, you won't be collecting 'tism dole.
>>
>>28699010
>if you're self sufficient enough to live on your own, you won't be collecting 'tism dole.
im not I live with parents and would just use their address for it, I have a history of mental issues so it shouldnt be too hard

we must have different standards of living then if its more expensive it was significantly cheaper then how I live now, even though I pay rent to my parents
>>
>>28699010
I also lived like this but mine was very affordable.

A 1 room in a shared house is $300 a week. If I share the room its closer to $200. Include expenses and it's closer to $380 a week for a single room.
If I were to lease a studio its closer to $450 a week not including expenses.

I said fuck it. Found a spot to park my car near a train line without it being fucked with. (Forst Lodge Dog Park if anyone in Sydney is wondering) which also doesn't need a permit.

So I already had a car ($2000), My only expenses were access to a 24/h gym in order to shower and clean stuff which I used a lot and petrol to drive anywhere I need.

if I needed wifi I would park on campus and buy a parking ticket or I would just park near a 24h gym I had in my membership.

A grand total of about $50 a week on expenses compared to $300-400 not including food.

Though I wouldn't do it again. I did this for 3 years. People bother you at night by looking in your car to see past your curtains. You are always worried people will steal your stuff. You never feel comfortable and never have a comfy place to return to at the end of the day. You will constantly be outside with nowhere to go.

Lonely life.
>>
>mfw been saving up money
>mfw desires to pack my shit up and go across the country intensify

I'd want a highway geared fullsize cargo van, like the really really long ones. Not a step or box van but the biggest cargo van they make.
>>
>>28699010
It's not fucking more expensive than renting, it's literally free. There's tons of ways to get power and water for free, you can just sell the van for what you paid for it and break even
>>
>>28699719
Probably because you were in a car, if you really take time and put in some work you can make a really homley place.

>pic related
>>
>>28698832
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGud34X3j5M
>>
Where do you go to the bathroom? Take showers? How do you get electricity and wifi? Honestly I don't see how it's supposed to be very much cheaper to live in a van than pay $500 a month for a cheap apartment where I live. I actually own my own house now and rent two rooms out, I probably save more money than even living in a van because the rent I get covers all my living expenses so I get to live in a house for free.
>>
I did it for 5 months and then ended up in a mental ward for 2 months. Don't buy a van with windows on the side, you need as much privacy as possible.
>>
>>28700254
Wait what? So somebody spotted you, called the cops, and they put you in the crazyhouse because you were living in a van?
>>
>>28700296
Nah, I was just underfed and sleep deprived, sent me loopy and I got locked up. You may think you have privacy in a van but you don't.
>>
>>28700385
What about cargo vans with no windows except for one on the back door that you could cover up
>>
>>28700211
Get all that at the gym or public library
>>
File: chloe-kendall-vol-1-set-1-23.jpg (1 MB, 2000x3000) Image search: [Google]
chloe-kendall-vol-1-set-1-23.jpg
1 MB, 2000x3000
>Going to be homeless in a day
>Almost no money
>I have camping supples so I'll just go camping
>But I don't have any access to food
>Live with my parents in the middle of fucking nowhere so there's no programs or shelter for homeless people
Well fugg, at this point either I directly kill myself or just wait for the starvation and eventually winter cold to do it for me.
>>
>>28700524
Just dumpster dive at local stores or restaurants
>>
>>28700442
Sounds OK but a cargo van would be expensive to maintain. Hopefully it's a brand new van. During my travelling I had to go to the mechanic many times. Also, a cargo van is quite large and could be a target for theft or suspicion. When you're vanning you want to give off the impression of being in the vandweller subculture rather than just some guy living in a van. It really depends where you go too. Sticking to the coast with a surfboard on the van will make you blend in more.
>>
>>28700574
I would honestly get a big cargo van, and put some fake company logo on it, something like "Fox Clean, for all industrial cleaning needs"

Nobody is going to care about some company van somewhere.
>>
File: roastynotinuse.png (439 KB, 1123x490) Image search: [Google]
roastynotinuse.png
439 KB, 1123x490
>>28700561
I don't want to be sleeping in refuse and eating rotting, parasitic/bacteria infested food though. That shit can kill you too.
>>
>>28700574
>vandweller subculture
Get over yourself.
>>
>>28700601
This, If I ever lived in a van this would be the funnest part to me.
>>
There's a lot of info about this kind of thing, but I don't think anyone does it for a longer period of time. It's just too restrictive.

But, for a short period, it would be very good for saving some cash, I think.

Check out www.earlyretirementextreme.com, there are probably a lot of people on the forums that can help you with your plan, OP.
>>
>>28701866
It seems the people who do it long term are hippies that live near the beach which is what I would like to do any way or maybe get an ev if I like it enough to do it forever
>>
i wish i could just buy like a 10 foot piece of land somwehre in california where it never gets below 60 degrees or so. i could just put a sleeping bag on the ground and my backpck. thats all i need. and if i owned the land id never be bothered by anyone.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0T0CuEjAyw

check this out might be of some interest
>>
>>28703490
Then do it, it's really not expensive if you go outside of any big city
>>
File: 1463713290359.jpg (144 KB, 548x984) Image search: [Google]
1463713290359.jpg
144 KB, 548x984
OP here, lets say I am able to get 700 a month from the govmint.

>insurance
>food
>smartphone w/unlimited data so I can tether laptop
>Gas
100 - 300 depending on how much I travel,

so lets say 600 per month and I can save 100

I am going to have money saved up before I start this in case something happens to the van and I can have that extra 100 a month adding up just in case, although insurance should take care of it so hopefully that wouldn't be a problem in the first place
>>
>>28700073
>that bed

disgusting does a literal fucking midget live there?
>>
File: tumblr_o7bmlzLxJA1umn0cjo1_1280.jpg (85 KB, 1080x864) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o7bmlzLxJA1umn0cjo1_1280.jpg
85 KB, 1080x864
>>28703635
idk, this kinda shit seems comfy to me, driving out to the middle of nowhere away from everyone just chilling and not havingto worry about work or anything
>>
>>28700524
>Well fugg, at this point either I directly kill myself or just wait for the starvation and eventually winter cold to do it for me.
Kill yourself.
Not saying that to be edgy. Dying of starvation/exposure is a painful, evil way to go.
You're better off just doing it in one shot so it's over with.
>>
File: 1463708928841.jpg (84 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
1463708928841.jpg
84 KB, 500x667
I want to be just like this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri6JfPy2Gkk
>>
>>28700524
Do you have stores near you?

Just go in there and steal some food man they don't give a shit especially if it's a walmart or something.

I don't know if you can get a job you might have to straight up rob people with spoons to get back on your feet but its better than dying a slow death by winter
>>
Some guys drive sports cars and fuck models, others drive vans all alone
>>
>>28700524
Steal food, and if you get caught, go to jail. Food and lodging is free there.
>>
>>28700211
>Where do you go to the bathroom?
>Take showers?
>How do you get electricity and wifi?

>Im not creative enough to find simple solutions to simple problems with the modern technology available to me
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.