[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you get over apathy? My passions have waned. I have no
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
File: 255.jpg (48 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
255.jpg
48 KB, 512x384
How do you get over apathy?

My passions have waned.
I have no hobbies or interests.
I just don't want to do anything.

I'm not ready to die but I'm tired of living. I want to regain the optimism and joy I used to have.
>>
File: 1435978541312.gif (824 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1435978541312.gif
824 KB, 320x240
I'm in the same boat. I don't think I'll come back.
>>
>>28463795
It's getting harder and harder to even get out of bed. I look forward to days off but that's really just because I hate working. When I have free time I spend the entire day on the couch on the Internet.
>>
>>28463774
I saved this from a thread by the Canadian wikipedia a sexual prison riot guy. Maybe you'll find it helpful.

Are you familiar with the hypothesis of depressive realism? Clinical studies have repeatedly proved that people who are depressed show markedly superior judgment to those who are not depressed. For example, depressed people are better at guessing whether a given shape will fit a given hole; non-depressed people err constantly on the side of optimism. What this suggests is that depression is actually the *removal* of a filter which makes the world seem irrationally pleasant for everyone else. The idea is that feelings of being trapped trigger your brain to begin feeding you the most accurate possible information to enable you to escape.

Depression is a dark blessing. If you can train yourself to create a meta-narrative -- that is, to be able to take a mental step backwards and observe your own thought processes -- you can take advantage of the very accurate, very lucid thinking depression can give you. Then in the interstitial periods between waves of depression, you can put that accurate analysis to work for you.

1/2
>>
>>28463857
Have you ever read anything about existentialism? We all know the answers to the eternal existential questions: What happens when I die? Why am I here? Who am I really? What's the purpose of living? We know that there is no purpose, no meaning beyond what we create, that after death there is nothing, and that what we are is what we have made of ourselves. But these answers are so terrifying that most people spend their lives hiding behind religion and politics and distraction to deny them.

If you can find the courage to admit to yourself that the Universe has no grand plan for you, then you become free to write yourself across it. Why do anything? Because you can. Because it is your Will to do so. You act specifically BECAUSE there is nothing compelling you to do so. It takes courage to step into the nihilist void, but still greater courage to defy the void and manifest your Will to Power. Every act becomes great when it is done not because of the potential for reward but because you have moved your Will to accomplish it.

"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how." -- Friedrich Nieztsche

2/2
>>
>>28463868
Here's another perspective re:
>If you can find the courage to admit to yourself that the Universe has no grand plan for you, then you become free to write yourself across it.

http://youtu.be/EKR-HydGohQ
Comfy channel tbqh
>>
>>28463840
Same here. I barely have the motivation to read a book.
>>
>>28464100
>Keep buying new books because I want to get back into reading
>Have a bookshelf full of unread books
>Don't read
>Just get drunk, waste time on 4chan and tell myself I'll start reading "tomorrow"
>>
>>28464177
you sound stuppd
>>
>>28464177
You sound like the guy who likes "knowledge" over there Lamborghini
>>
>>28463774
Who here apathetic but still able to function
>>
>>28465760
Me but life is just like a mirage. Can barely see it or recall the day. I spend so much off my time on autopilot just getting through.
>>
>>28465857
exactly

uregnal
>>
>>28463774
Just get some problems. Get in debt with a drug dealer or some shit like that
>>
To get over apathy, I stop browsing 4Chan.
>>
>>28463774
ha just bee yourself brah

JUST BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
My sis asked me when we were drunk if I ever was depressed. Ofc I was but I didn't want her to know that. I said no but she said that she felt I've been depressed before because the way I see the world is how the world actually is in her opinion. The world sucks ass and there's no purpose but once you learn that nothing matters you can begin to carve the universe to your ideal using nothing but your will. That's all that really matters. You can reach for the top.
>>
>>28465923
YYet here you are.
>>
>>28465951
I tried to tell my sister how depressed I was. As it got more serious she changed the subject and then we just pretended I hadn't said anything.

If I killed myself I guarantee she would act like it was a surprise and I never showed any signs.
>>
>>28465953

I'm not feeling apathetic at the moment.
>>
>>28463900
Except you wont. These little uplifting messages are another layer of optimism.

>nothing matters so nothing's holding me back!

From accomplishing nothing. From being just one more insignificant, pointless speck wallowing away the brief time we have. the suicidal alone come closest to accepting the irrelevance of existence
>>
>>28465997
So why come back here?
>>
>>28463774
You have depression and need to take some SSRIs or any other form of antidepressants. You're welcome.
>>
>>28466135
Isn't there any way to gain contentment with life without drugs?
>>
>>28464177
Yeah im like this to an extent but i still read some of them
>>
You can't.

Adults aren't meant to have outside interests. You're literally programmed to only get real enjoyment through providing for and living vicariously through your child.

It will only get worse.
>>
>>28466251
The only ones I've read were the GoT books.

>tfw pleb
>>
>>28466312
Its never too late to stop being a pleb
>>
>>28466435
I know that, except it will be if I keep saying tomorrow for the rest of my life.
>>
>>28463774
Amphetamines my man
>>
>>28465953
"I had someone post for me"
>>
>>28463868
I love that concept, but all the time i get stuck on determinism when trying to think like that. The fact that there is no free will and i dont choose to do these things always kinda ruins this otherwise really intruiging and motivating thinking.
>>
>>28464177

Holy shit are you me?

I miss reading..
>>
>>28463774
Are you me? I feel exactly how you're feeling. I don't want to die, but I'm tired of living and feel like death is the only release. It's like a game you give up on halfway through, you know it's not gonna get any better so you give it up.

When all this started 5 years ago I wanted to get through it and be happy, but now I don't want happiness I just want to feel content.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.