[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What traditional gender roles are actually like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: vietnam-wedding1.jpg (81 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
vietnam-wedding1.jpg
81 KB, 500x333
/int/ crossboarder here. I'm an American who moved to Vietnam for business. No, I'm not an English teacher.

Vietnam is an extremely traditional country with very restrictive and old-fashioned gender roles, at least in the less developed parts. Having experienced what true patriarchy is like, I'm going to blow up a few robot myths about it right now.

>it would be easier to get a gf if women didn't have sex before marriage. Everyone would pair off, one to one, instead of Chad getting all the girls
Women chase Chad even harder in a truly patriarchal country, because whom they choose for sex is permanent and defines their entire life. They can't experiment with different types of guys or consider "more important things" than looks and money. If they don't get married to a successful alpha before 25 they are in serious financial trouble forever. Chad is simply the only good option, because women in traditional places depend 100% on the success of their men. And successful men tend to be good-looking, from prestigious families, and alpha in their behavior. Why? Because that's the traditional role of a man. These guys not only get to marry any 23-year-old girl they want, but they also get as many concubines as they need after she gets too old to pleasure them sexually. You will never pick up Chad's scraps or "settle for a less attractive girl." Chad is EVERY girl's best option, even after he's married. I am pretty much an uber-chad here, and whores will often offer to leave their boyfriends or have sex with me on the side in exchange for favors and the possibility of someday being a permanent part of my life. It's fucked up and makes me feel sorry for both them and their boyfriends.

Cont
>>
>traditional women are pure and demure, j-just like in my Japanese anime!
Did you ever wonder why every single culture has myths about the deception and danger of the weaker sex? Women have no official social power in a traditional culture. As a result, they have to resort to some real bullshit to assert themselves and get what they want. It's a pretty simple concept, actually. Pretty much everything you guys hate about women is worse in traditional cultures. They are insecure, conniving, dishonest, and untrustworthy, because if they don't act that way they will get treated like slaves.
>>
>back in the day a woman couldn't ruin your life with divorce! Marriage was a lifetime ticket to pure bliss!
Wrong. I have seen very few marriages in this area that don't seem like hell on earth. Since it's an open secret that the men cheat and lie constantly, there's no trust in anyone's marriage after a certain time. You can't escape this, even if you're an honest man... It's just the cultural norm. Once the flame dies, your marriage doesn't enter that comfy sunset phase that some Western marriages have. Instead it basically just turns completely sour. You and your wife become bitter and angry at each other, and since the kids never leave home (they take care of the parents in these societies) there's no breathing room or opportunity to "putter around" in one's middle age.
>>
Last one:

>modern society emasculates men. If I lived in a traditional society, I would somehow be able to conform to old-fashioned masculinity just cause that's what's expected of me.
Nope. Not much to explain here except that it's just not true. Some guys are born ugly, some guys grow up introverted, some guys are short, weak, etc etc etc.

Except it's even worse in a real patriarchy because literally everyone will look down on you for not being a "real man."
>>
Bump. Feel free to ask questions if this interests you.
>>
>>24162734
Well I've read everything you wrote and I found it interesting but I don't have any questions.
>>
>>24162834

Could you flame me a little bit to bump the thread then? I really thought this was a primo thread idea and I'm very disappointed with how it turned out.
>>
You sound like a real faggot
>>
>>24162734
Traditional Western Protestant societies were very different from traditional East Asian societies.
>>
>>24162880

That's true, but I think what I'm saying would still basically hold up. The part of patriarchy that /r9k/ focuses on is the "one woman, one man, one white picket fence" thing: the idea that life is better when women are raised to be obedient and loyal, while men are raised to be bold and powerful.

This is the same in both societies.
>>
I disagree. All of my classmates are Vietnamese and they are interested in me, despite me being a socially retarded 25 year old virgin. Vietnam girls are easy to make your gf. I don't, though, because their forwardness makes me nervous.

Also, many of the women in this area don't act as you describe. They are polite, conservative, and generally fun to be around. Maybe you should get out of the jungle and move to a civilized Asian country.
>>
>>24162583
>> successful men tend to be good-looking

so you think donald trump is good looking?>
>>
>>24162961
You just proved OP right, anon. I hope you actually noticed it.
>>
>>24163014
How be it?
>>
>>24162979
Donald Trump is successful because his father gave him a capital.
>>
>>24162961

Grats on your success with viet girls. They're hot as fuck and super easy to gf. However I've found that there's little middle ground between literal prostitute and "no sex before marriage " over here. Some girls in Sai Gon will try to have a modern "western" relationship with you but usually they're just white boy fetishists who have seen one too many Disney movies.

Tell me more. Are you living in Vietnam or where? I don't think your experience necessarily contradicts what I'm saying cause, like you said, I'm talking about the real jungle shit, girls who don't speak English and will never leave their home districts.
>>
>>24163030
I'm currently in Japan studying. In my language school 21 of my 24 classmates are Vietnamese. Japan is arguably a perfect example of a patriarchy in which women are essentially the opposite of what you describe, and while the Vietnamese are a bit.. unruly, they're not as bad as you made them out to be.. chad-chasing stacies..

Also, this is outside of Tokyo. In Tokyo the girls are completely westernized.
>>
File: 67304986720.jpg (13 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
67304986720.jpg
13 KB, 300x300
>>24162979
He wasn't terrible looking.
>>
i dont mean to sound like a butthurt damage controlling frog in denial, but if what you say is true then it seems like Vietnam isnt really traditional at all. it sounds like Vietnam is already degenerate but people in there convinced themselves that it is not by putting on a show
>>
>>24163019
Because he is talking about really traditional girls who are conservative from a local perspective, not from a Western one. You're talking about Asian women with a modern mindest.
>>
Yeah but consider this: I won't get laid in modern culture. I also won't get laid in a tradition culture but there I at least have some chance of arranged marriage to an ugly hambeast.
Also this hambeast was raised to be respectful so she'll at least shit all over me a little less.
It's the lesser of two evils man.
>>
>>24163070
>In Tokyo the girls are completely westernized.

They're still not quite as bad. At least they don't eat like pigs and screech about everything. Most of them, anyway.
>>
>>24163102
Yeah, no country that went through the amount of far-left social upheaval that Vietnam did could truly be considered "traditional".
>>
>>24163107
These are the same girls he's discussing, just moved to a nearby country to work or go to school. They all were raised and embedded with the traditions of their home culture.
>>
>>24163115
The hambeast in a traditional culture is probably an 11/10 cook too.
>>
>>24163125
True, but at least the pigs don't fuck every black refugee or G.I. chad they see. Probably.
>>
>>24163102
>>24163070

These guys make a good point. I may be over generalizing some Vietnamese problems into a commentary on all traditional culture.

That being said, Vietnam is an absurdly macho, sexed-up society where women have absolutely no power and are expected by most to act like pure, virginal dolls until marriage, when they basically become slaves. At the same time, men take advantage of their dominance to turn lower-level women into sex toys. So in a way this country represents the furthest end of the power spectrum from ours. Men are COMPLETELY in charge, and that turns out not to be a good thing, really.

>>24163115

>I at least have some chance of arranged marriage to an ugly hambeast.
Also this hambeast was raised to be respectful so she'll at least shit all over me a little less
My entire point is that this isn't true. A lot of men here never make it, and if they do the cost is that they have to marry a girl who completely owns their balls. Which is worse than no gf at all.

>>24163139

Despite being communist in name, the current regime regime has been closer to a fascist state from the 80s onward. That's true of China too
>>
>>24163275
Question for you. The girl sitting next to me in class, Vietnamese of course, likes to hit, poke, and otherwise bother me constantly. She says things in Vietnamese to me whenever I ask her something (refusing to use Japanese, which is the mutual language). I learned from another student she's basically just cursing at me and saying she'll kill me.

However, all the other students say she likes me.

Is this some kind of weird Vietnamese flirting?
>>
>>24163307
Just some tsundere shit senpai. Bang her
>>
>>24163168

>at least the pigs don't fuck every black refugee or G.I. chad they see
If your point is that urban Japanese girls AREN'T crazy about Westerners, that's not what I hear. Nor does it reflect my (limited) experience with Japanese women.

Native Asian women generally prefer white men. It's not a muh dick thing, way more complicated than that. But it is true. We're exotic to them and represent "a better life," plus in most of Asia tall height and pale skin are considered noble-looking.

>>24163307

>Is this some kind of weird Vietnamese flirting?
That is textbook weird Vietnamese flirting. As my business partner, known to some as the FOB Slayer, says: "Give her the 3D... Every angle, bro"
>>
>>24163345
I was actually saying urban Japanese girls are totally into white dudes, but also black refugees, any kind of American soldier, and other non-robot types. They're a far cry from the conservative Japanese girls in the suburbs and rural places.

Also, this is trivial but a lot of Japanese can get pretty tall and pale. The whole short thing is just for the older generations, I guess. I'm 5'10" and I feel short here. Japanese men are total betas, though. I think Japanese girls admire white men mostly because of the influence Hollywood has. White dudes are romantic and heroic in films, while Japanese men IRL are shy and disregarding of romance.

I would D my classmate, but.. she kind of scares me.
>>
>>24163403

Every Asian country has a "local guys are too... But white guys are just sooooo..."

I have a theory that white men are simply experts at impressing women and making them happy, because our girls are pretty much expert mode. An average white man in Asia is like a level 99 sexomancer playing in the tutorial zone.
>>
>>24163520
I wonder if women in Europe behave differently than ones in America. Which is more challenging?
>>
>>24163554

No idea. My instinct is that European women have more gubmint money and are therefore more "liberated," but are also better educated and therefore less ridiculous.
>>
>>24162583

Who the fuck cares about rice pickers?
I can't score shit because Im poor and have no house of my own. Such is the problem in most of the EU where even engineers are sometimes underpaid.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.