[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm certain someone here has done it How do you overcome
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5
File: 1461108876911.jpg (7 KB, 186x213) Image search: [Google]
1461108876911.jpg
7 KB, 186x213
I'm certain someone here has done it
How do you overcome anxiety/social anxiety?
I've heard good things about DUDE WEED LMAO and its legal where I'm from, so I'm considering it. Either that or therapy, or some meds.
Really though the thing keeping me back is the anxiety itself. How do I get past this?
>>
>>28277132
stop giving a fuck and just kamikaze it

practice makes perfect and it's unlikely a person you meat 6 months ago and talk to will ever see you again.
>>
Weed is a double edged sword anon on the one hand it can help you to overcome your anxieties but on the other if you run out and can't pick up it can make the anxiety worse because you are now relying on it to rid you of the worries
>>
just start by trying to make people laugh. Normies are pretty basic so pretend to be a normie as an ironic joke and eventually you will just start doing it normally. Laugh at yourself, other people. Make fun of other people, but not too too maliciously though. Just don't be a fucking autist and know your audiences. As in make normie jokes around girls, and around people who have an "edgier" sense of humor you can b urself. If you have no sense of humor i recommend watching some of the classics like famliy guy, the simpsons, seinfeld, ed edd n eddy, steve martin's filmography. The biggest lesson is to learn to laugh at yourself and other people and take it easy. also gomad+ss
>>
>>28277132
Drugs will only mask your symptoms. You need to find out what's causing your anxiety and deal with that.

In my case, it's my insecurity about my deformed face. Plastic surgery is the answer to my problem.

Also, group therapy is bullshit.

Oh, and if you're autistic, you're fucked. Nothing will help you unless you're already good looking, and even then you'll have to date down.
>>
File: 1462172620571.png (171 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
1462172620571.png
171 KB, 640x400
>>28277302
What if I can't overcome the thing causing my anxiety?
>>
>>28277340
If it's caused by a mental disorder, you might be able cope with drugs/meds. They're about the closest thing to a cure we currently have, which isn't saying much.
>>
>>28277132
I hate weed because I smoked way too much starting out and now I just associate it with those feelings of paranoia. But if you slowly build up a tolerance it'll help. Alcohol is probably a more efficient way to do it though.

>>28277284
Don't do this, if you make friends by pretending to be someone else you'll end up hating your friends.

>>28277302
This only works if it's caused by something physical, if you just have a mental block then knowing the cause won't help you much.
>>
>>28277132
>How do you overcome anxiety/social anxiety?

as somebody recovering, it never really goes away

It might if I had friends and family to take me out places, but only working has given me any more exposure to dealing with people and being in uncomfortable situations. It's just that I'm able to then but I still have the same discomfort and aversion. I'm going to get a physical, have my hormones checked, and see a psychiatrist and hopefully I can get to the bottom of it. It's probably chemical.

But yeah, I used to barely be able to leave my room or answer the phone. Baby steps.
>>
>>28277132
I like weed, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for anxiety. It's hard to predict how you'll react to it, and it could make you paranoid or make your anxiety worse, even if you've been smoking for a while. That said, if you're prepared for the possibility of a weed-induced panic attack, it might help you figure out how to calm yourself down. But first of all you should learn meditation and some breathing techniques.
>>
File: 1460772155697.png (34 KB, 657x527) Image search: [Google]
1460772155697.png
34 KB, 657x527
>>28277373
I think I understand why I have anxiety
Growing up I spent a lot of my time being spoiled by my grandparents, whom I visited daily, as we were neighbors. Then, with my parents, we weren't much of a family, we rarely did anything together, father was gone at work and mom was busy cleaning or at work, so I was left with grandparents or left to be alone with video games bought by my grandparents. Then, I felt the need to be more mature than everyone else, I don't know why either, maybe because I felt closer to my grandparents attitudes, which were very closed off, kinda. This kept me from doing normal kid things, like going to birthday parties and hanging out with friends, besides the one friend I made before I closed myself off, but even then I stopped hanging out with him when my parents divorced, I didn't want anyone to be brought into my hugbox, my room.
I understand now. My home is my hugbox. It has been since I was a teen. I'm not just territorial, I'm afraid to show anyone my obsession with trying to find comfort I never had by surrounding myself with junk food, video games, and whatever else I do to hide the pain.
Just typing this has helped me realize my problem. I don't know where to go from here though.
>>
For me, I just made friends at work and my anxiety lifted. I have IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and anxiety will draw blood from your digestive system, so that mixed with that will make me shit myself in anxious situations. I really feared shitting myself more than actually going to work and being judged by people.

I just made friends and made it a less anxious situation and brought a cup to work with me so I could shit in it and throw it up into the ceiling panels so it would rot away at the panels and make a big fucking mess.

Made me calm and happy to know some shitskin has to clean it.
>>
Alcoholism
Weed works sometimes but if you smoke too much you retreat further into your head
Benzos are alcoholism but you have more control

There's really nothing you can do except just get out there and deal with it. Personally I'll just continue to be a shut-in, I could never see another person again but as long as I have the internet I'm happy.
>>
>>28277496
Start watching watching a lot of vice documentaries, read humans of new york page on facebook, browse a lot of new age enlightenment blogs, eat foods like chia seeds, kale, quinoa, acai berries. Listen to ASMR videos on youtube.
>>
I have experienced freedom from this from time to time but I've never been able to make it stick long term.

The first, most effective, and probably the easiest way is MDMA. It is the cure for autism and social anxiety.

The second was I got really into Buddhism and meditation and made a serious concerted effort to change my thinking patterns, and focus more on other people and not myself.

The third was experiencing things which boost my confidence. When you succeed socially, you feel confident in your abilities. Since we don't do that we don't feel confident. When I was with my oneitis in public or around my friends I felt 10 feet tall and didn't give a fuck. I had what I wanted and everybody else could get fucked.

All these mentalities came and went. Obviously MDMA is not a long term solution, but it can be a stepping stone to one. Buddhism was the most life changing and helpful. I am just inconsistent and lazy so I don't stick to my practice. The girl is kinda obvious. If you feel confident you'll act confident so it's not much help.
Therapy mirrors a lot of the buddhist teachings to varying degrees. So when I did go to therapy I didn't feel like they had anything new to tell me, it's just a matter of making myself do it.
>>
>>28277132
Look down on normies and stop caring about their opinions
>>
>>28277586
>2016
>still watching vice
>>
>>28277586
Why would engaging in dumb hipster culture help his anxiety? Maybe the asmr would be calming, but the rest seems entirely pointless.
>>
>>28277616
I do this and I still have anxiety. The extent to which your own brain can betray you is amazing. I feel immense hate for people, and yet I'm still unable to confront them due to my learned helplessness.

>>28277612
Seconding MDMA, I plan on doing it as soon as I can get my hands on it. From what I've heard it's an amazing drug.
>>
>>28277665
I don't think it's at all fair for you to second MDMA without having even tried it. Personally MDMA made nothing close to lasting changes in me. Sure, it was a neat high. Not like it was lifechanging.
>>28277132
Weed can sometimes help, but it's more or less likely to just make things worse. If you want to try it do your best to find a strain with low THC values and high CBS ones. Another important thing to remember is that it will just make things easier for a little while, it won't offer any lasting help.

Supposedly therapy can offer lasting help but eh, I haven't experienced that so I can't speak for it. In terms of medical meds, SSRI's are supposed to offer lasting help, but I don't trust SSRI's. Benzodiazepines will completely destroy your anxiety, but they're also addictive, and benzo addiction is pretty fucked, speaking as someone who's gone through it.
>>
>>28277744
Not saying it's amazing for everyone, but there's not much downside to trying it. Couple of my friends have had repressed memories that came back while rolling, so it can definitely have lasting effects. Also, according to stories I've read it's possible for it to lower social anxiety long-term.
>>
File: image.jpg (991 KB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
991 KB, 2592x1936
>>28277132
I was actually gonna suggest weed before I heard you mention it.

It certainly helped alleviate my anxieties when I was a 16 year old teenager.

Which was an unintended effect, mind you. I was just smoking it for fun, relaxation and recreation.
>>
>>28278002
>muh weed and muh iPhone
Hello Norman
>>
>>28277132
Years of nonstop constant exposure and always carrying a bit of alcohol for emergencies.
>>
>>28278162
I feel like benzo's are a lot more functional at controlling anxiety.
>>
>>28278139
>Weed thread.
I was actually using it as a paperweight, I haven't used a phone in almost two years.
Feel better, senpai?
>>
>>28278193
I feel like benzos screwed me up more than any other drug on the face of the earth.

How can you say they're an effective treatment option when all they ultimately do is exacerbate your anxiety long-term?
>>
>>28277132
NEVER use drugs as a coping mechanism, that is the forming of an addict.

drugs or weed is meant to be the icing on the cake or the cherry on top. Used to make a good time just a little bit better, when its the whole purpose then u will have a problem
>>
>>28278281
Please make coherent sense and a sound argument in the future.
>>
>>28277160
This is seriously the best advice.

Get the fuck out of your own head and your parents basement.
>>
>>28277132
C2H5OH
>>
>>28277132
You really can't. I tried meds/drinking/Blah blah and it makes it worse cuz then it goes from "I'll never!" To "omg omg I can't believe i did that! What did everyone think omg"
>>
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and/or xanax (the most effective benzo out there but also the riskiest). The pills are a short term bridge to bring you out of your warped mindset and let you see yourself objectively. From then on you have to begin assuming rational control of your perceptions of yourself, realizing when its the warped lens of anxiety and when its objective reality, etc. It never really disappears, you just learn to control it.
>>
File: 1462175283946.gif (2 MB, 350x197) Image search: [Google]
1462175283946.gif
2 MB, 350x197
>>28278307
? how is what i said not coherent?

im saying weed is fine just dont use it as a coping mechanism. do you not understand what a coping mechanism is? shall i spell it out?

Using drugs to deal with a problem like anxiety or depression will make you a drug addict, plain and simple.

but smoking weed before you see a movie or go on a hike can make the experience more enjoyable.

when getting high is the whole point though then you will start to have problems

dont see how ur not understanding this...
>>
>>28278002
>iphone

even weed can't make you cool
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.