[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Comfy Silent Hill Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 64
File: 1455335931480.jpg (559 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1455335931480.jpg
559 KB, 1920x1080
Hello, /r9k/! I haven't made one of these in 4 or 5 days, so it's about time for another.

I am a guy who really likes Silent Hill. I have decided to create a local archive of Silent Hill 2, meaning I'm assembling all of the wiki pages, with sources, along with images for everything, into my own archive. I am rewriting sections of the wiki I don't find particularly well-written, useful, etc., and am always going into the game myself and taking screenshots of things the wiki only has in low res. However, please understand nearly all the pictures I upload will be from the internet and not from my own screenshots, because my screenshots are too high resolution (more than 2MB) to upload to /r9k/.

Anywho, I know A LOT about Silent Hill 2 and 3, and love to answer questions about trivia, lore, symbolism, anything! I will also post download links for the games that include all the needed fixes to run them on your PC at widescreen high resolution. If it takes me a few minutes to reply to you at any point, it's because I am currently working on my Areas folder. My characters and enemies folders are complete.

So please, come in, get comfy, and chat about Silent Hill!
>>
File: 1458514968324.gif (281 KB, 1469x535) Image search: [Google]
1458514968324.gif
281 KB, 1469x535
Here are the download links:
SH1 NTSC DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk

SH2 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8

SH3 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE

SH4 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc

And in case someone's once again new to this PC gaming stuff: Use a program like PowerIso to mount the ISOs of 2 & 3, and then run their installers like always.
The SH1 is a PS1 rip that you gotta emulate.
The "sh2proxy" fix works as a no-cd crack as well, and is included in the pack.

In case you experience issues saving the game / not being able to edit the disp.ini, make sure the files aren't set to "Read Only", and run the game as Administrator.
If SH2 gets stuck in a black screen upon launch, close it and re-start it again.

here's the recommended emulator settings for SH1. Works great on all other games too.

The plugins used are:
-Pete's OpenGL 1.78; (more options & better performance than 2.x version)
-Eternal's SPU Engine.

Alternatively just use a software renderer for very 1:1 PS1-like graphics, including 240p only.
...OR just buy the game from PSN Store for few bucks.

Pic related are the emulator settings for SH1. I can verify all these links work, they are how I got my PC copies, and they are completely safe. Credit to the original anon who put these together.
>>
Why not post in /v/?
>>
>>28207867
I have before, but the threads move much faster over there, and it tends to get filled with shitposting and people trying to argue about which game is best, instead of people getting comfy and just talking/learning interesting things. /r9k/ is also my homeboard so I'm most comfortable here.
>>
Take your narcissism somewhere else, please
>>
>>28207867

/v/ is a horrible board to discuss anything, I don't blame him for posting this here, where actual discussion will happen.

My opinion of /v/ is lower than /soc/, /b/ and even /mlp/ at this point. It's nothing but teenagers getting mad at each other.
>>
File: Labyrinth Ladders.png (603 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Labyrinth Ladders.png
603 KB, 1280x720
>>28207915
I don't see how I'm narcissistic. I just want to talk about my favorite video game series. I want to spread all the interesting little tidbits about it I can so more people appreciate how wonderful these games are. I don't trip and I even give download links so you can experience the games yourself.
>>
>>28207915
This guy has in-depth knowledge on Silent Hill. According to Sam Vaknin, narcissists only have a very basic and superficial understanding or knowledge on things they flaunt so OP is not a narcissist

>>28207962
Ignore him, and keep it up, buddy
>>
File: Brookhaven 1880.jpg (76 KB, 529x393) Image search: [Google]
Brookhaven 1880.jpg
76 KB, 529x393
>>28207940
I wouldn't say it's a horrible board. The few threads I've had over there turned out pretty well. It just moves really fast, and 25% of the posts at least are shitposting and arguing over nonsense. It's just a lot more comfy on /r9k/, in my opinion.
>>
File: Lakeview Observation Room 1.jpg (327 KB, 1000x665) Image search: [Google]
Lakeview Observation Room 1.jpg
327 KB, 1000x665
>>28207971
Thank you very much friend, I really do appreciate your kind words. If I was a narcissist I would tripfag and shitpost, instead of putting so much time into this autistic pursuit.
>>
File: 1461843516105.jpg (36 KB, 621x634) Image search: [Google]
1461843516105.jpg
36 KB, 621x634
Should I know anything specific before starting 1?
>>
File: Angela Against Door.png (655 KB, 1152x864) Image search: [Google]
Angela Against Door.png
655 KB, 1152x864
>>28207997
Nope! Just keep in mind that if you're used to newer games, SH1 is a little bit unrefined- however, if you're not a filthy casual, you shouldn't have too much trouble. If you really want, you can actually play SH2 before SH1, because it is unrelated, but you MUST play SH1 before you play SH3 if you want to understand the story fully. Enjoy!
>>
Cool. I like this thread. I've been listening to the music of Silent Hill 2 nonstop. I've been playing it on piano nonstop as well. Never played any of the games before though, which I should.

>>28207915
You are a hypocritical fuckass.
>>
File: Angela Concept Art 2.png (178 KB, 450x342) Image search: [Google]
Angela Concept Art 2.png
178 KB, 450x342
>>28208050
Thank you friend. I love the Silent Hill 2 OST. Yamaoka is really a genius. I've listened to that full 3 and half hour OST many times over. It's so good. Promise was the first thing I learned on guitar. I highly recommend you play them, the download links are up there, completely free friend.
>>
File: 1460777859596.jpg (9 KB, 226x491) Image search: [Google]
1460777859596.jpg
9 KB, 226x491
>>28208012
I'm always emulating PS1/2 games, so I shouldn't have problems with the unrefinedness, it is usually really charming. I'm also really autistic when it comes to experiencing things in release order. But still thanks for the thread, I always wanted to experience the series and love the OSTs, but never got to it. Atleast now I have a reason and the motivation.
>>
File: 1458243068528.png (346 KB, 546x546) Image search: [Google]
1458243068528.png
346 KB, 546x546
>>28208098
Well good, you should have no issues then. I hope you like the games if you give them a try, I sure love em.
>>
File: 1461623212506.png (244 KB, 542x712) Image search: [Google]
1461623212506.png
244 KB, 542x712
I have never played the games because I'm a giant pussy when it comes to horror games but I watched a guy on Twitch play-through 1, 2, and 3 with in-depth commentary. I found it very comfy, I'll get around to playing them one day.

I love listening to this piece. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zlPtpUZ8uQ
>>
File: James Stomps Lying Figure.jpg (91 KB, 1024x745) Image search: [Google]
James Stomps Lying Figure.jpg
91 KB, 1024x745
>>28208169
They are some of the most terrifying games of all time, so that's okay. LPs of these games aren't that bad, so long as you have a good commentator. I really enjoyed watching the Two Best Friends Play LP of SH2 because Pat does a decent job explaining the lore.

That's a great song- also I love the picture they use. It's from the beginning of the game- you can see how clearly the mountains/trees/lake in the background are just a giant JPEG. It looks fine on PS2 and Xbox, but when you play it on PC it's noticeable.
>>
>>28207725
>Tfw game refuses to start up 3/4 of the time
>Tfw can't get Steam Overlay to integrate with it so can't take delicious screenshots
>Tfw hearing Mary's voice in her letter at the end again
Cosmic feels.
>>
File: Mary In Woodside Apartments.png (353 KB, 1280x718) Image search: [Google]
Mary In Woodside Apartments.png
353 KB, 1280x718
>>28208236
Yeah sometimes SH2 has some issues starting up for some reason- you can't start it in the same way you last did. For example, if you manually choose to run as administrator, it will work, but next time you just have to double click the short cut and it will work. It's really bizarre.

I just use Print Screen for my screenshots.

>Mary's voice in her letter at the end again
Still, I think, the best voice acting performance in video games, and one of the saddest moments in all of vidya.
James... You made me happy...
>>
File: Wood Side To Hell.jpg (90 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Wood Side To Hell.jpg
90 KB, 1024x768
Bumping
I finished my Areas section. I still have Puzzles, Items, and Roads to finish.
>>
you like burial? he sampled a tune from silent hill on this track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTrCYvchnak
>>
>>28208215

>They are some of the most terrifying games of all time, so that's okay.

Er, I don't understand this. Then again, I don't find video games particularly scary.

I've always felt SH was too slow of a burn for me. I've played through all them, mostly around release (so I was playing 1 as a kid), and not once did I get scared. I remember being slightly unnerved in the SH3 mirror scene because I didn't expect it, and that scene in 4 with the chick's giant face staring down at... Henry? I don't remember the protagonist's name.

But overall, I don't really understand the games. Great OST and atmosphere, but very sluggish, boring gameplay, and some very questionable design choices. It's just not fun.
>>
File: Toluca Morgue Hole.jpg (251 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Toluca Morgue Hole.jpg
251 KB, 1280x720
>>28208897
Never heard of him, but that's pretty good, thanks for sharing anon.
>>28208920
I misspoke slightly. To me, the games aren't terrifying. They are disturbing. There are a few jumpscare moments, the mannequin scene in SH3, the restroom in the prison in SH2, but otherwise they're very slow burn, very subtle, more about disturbing you than really scaring you. I always found the sound effects incredibly unnerving though- they're not Amnesia scary, they're their own kind of horror. Subtle and disgusting.

Yep, his name was Henry.

You're entitled to your opinion. The combat is intentionally clunky in 1-3, but I get not enjoying it. They're not for every one, but for those who like them, they REALLY like them.
>>
Comfy thread man, I've been seeing these for a while and enjoy browsing them, have you played lone survivor? I had a lot of fun with it and was wondering your thoughts, being the silent hill god you are.
>>
File: Abstract Daddy Model.png (822 KB, 1533x642) Image search: [Google]
Abstract Daddy Model.png
822 KB, 1533x642
>>28209024
Thanks, I'm really glad you enjoy them, I do as well. I have played Lone Survivor, I really enjoyed it. The enemy designs leave something to be desired, but the atmosphere is wonderful, and the sound effect that plays when you pick up an item is lifted directly from Silent Hill. Don't flatter me, I'm no god, just a guy with too much time on his hands and too much passion for a video game.
>>
File: Flesh Lips Concept Art.jpg (38 KB, 530x398) Image search: [Google]
Flesh Lips Concept Art.jpg
38 KB, 530x398
Sorry I haven't been posting many fun facts or explaining much lore, I'm hard at work on my archive. Does anyone have any questions about anything, or want to hear some interesting tidbits about certain characters/enemies/whatever? I'm happy to explain.
>>
File: Mary Con Air Picture.jpg (222 KB, 399x589) Image search: [Google]
Mary Con Air Picture.jpg
222 KB, 399x589
I always post this because I love it so much, but Mary and Laura's appearances/outfits are lifted straight from the movie Con Air.
>>
Have you ever gone to visit the actual Silent Hill? Centralia, PA or whatever.

I live about three hours away but the town I'm currently living in is so like SH that it's spooky. I grew up on the west coast and moved here for work, and it's been an incredibly unsettling experience.

And it's haunted. Like, the whole town. Nobody talks about it though. It's like everyone has just accepted the supernatural stuff as the norm.

Pennsylvania is creepy as fuck.
>>
File: Angela Concept Art 3.png (180 KB, 460x600) Image search: [Google]
Angela Concept Art 3.png
180 KB, 460x600
>>28209223
I've considered it, but I think it's so abandoned that it's nearly impossible to explore properly.

Also, most of Silent Hill's layout and locations are based on places in California, like San Bruno, or the locations of filming for Blue Velvet/Kindergarten Cop.

What kind of supernatural stuff goes on? I've never been a believer in that stuff but it's always fascinated me.
>>
>>28209264

Couple of experiences I've had:

>sound of footsteps constantly outside my bedroom door. not creaks or wood expanding/contracting, but actual, distinct footsteps
>sound of children's laughter coming from the basement
>had a lamp fly off the desk near my computer and smash into my elbow
>seen a woman in a black shawl twice, once through a mirror leading to the outside hallway (when i spun around it was gone) and another time passing the guest room, where she appeared to be looking out the window

My initial reaction was that these were visual and auditory hallucinations driven by insomnia and solitude.

However, I offhandedly commented about it to a co-worker and he got pretty serious. Said he'd lived in the town all his life and every house he lived in had some form of supernatural activity.

I wasn't able to goad him into revealing any details, but he did tell me that many of the homes were converted into makeshift infirmaries during the "war" (dunno which; revolutionary or civil, undoubtedly).

There's also a lot of cases of homeless drug addicts dying under the town's sole bridge during the winter. The bridge itself is super ominous, and it exudes an incredibly creepy feel if you're walking across it at night.
>>
File: Toluca Prison Painting.jpg (392 KB, 713x536) Image search: [Google]
Toluca Prison Painting.jpg
392 KB, 713x536
>>28209395
Holy shit man. If it's not too personal, which town do you live in? That's scary as hell and I'd like to look it up on Shadowlands Index.

That Civil War shit seems to make ghosts like crazy- Silent Hill had a civil war prison called Toluca Prison, and it's extremely haunted.
>>
File: Maria And Christina.png (99 KB, 248x328) Image search: [Google]
Maria And Christina.png
99 KB, 248x328
Bumping, Puzzles section is now finished. I am making great progress this morning, but I am done for now, my hands are sore.

Here is an interesting fact- Maria's appearance is lifted from Christina Aguilera's outfit at the 1999 Teen Choice Awards.
>>
File: Laura On Wall.jpg (69 KB, 267x500) Image search: [Google]
Laura On Wall.jpg
69 KB, 267x500
I'll share a not too interesting, but neat fact. Even the wiki doesn't have this:
Nobody knows who did Laura's voice acting in the HD Collection- it's simply listed as unknown. However, after digging through the credits, I was able to nail down that it was either down by Koko Itabashi or Jen Kiddo.

Not all that interesting. A very interesting fact though is that Laura's original voice acting was done by Jacquelyn Breckenridge, who at the time was only 7 years old. It's pretty rare you see actual children doing voice acting for video games. James's voice actor, Guy Cihi (bless his heart), was discovered because he took his daughter to audition for Laura, and they ended up asking him to play James.
>>
My first introduction to silent hill was watching the shitty 2006 movie. I want to play the games but I'm also a huge bitch when it comes to horror games

I'm still downloading everything though
>>
File: Maria Resting In Room S3.png (1 MB, 1556x873) Image search: [Google]
Maria Resting In Room S3.png
1 MB, 1556x873
>>28209680
I haven't seen either movie, I really plan to soon just for fun.

Glad you're downloading man, you will definitely enjoy. They're scary, but more than anything they're just plain disturbing.
>>
>>28209703
yeah the disturbing is whats going to bother me
when I watched the movie thoughts of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_nHsqtStLU fucked my shit up for weeks
>>
Op, what else you like/play?
>>
File: Lying Figure Concept Art 2.jpg (23 KB, 530x398) Image search: [Google]
Lying Figure Concept Art 2.jpg
23 KB, 530x398
>>28209756
That's not an armless man, that's the Lying Figure from Silent Hill 2! I didn't know he was in the movie, very interesting.

He doesn't have the big butt or the sexy boots though.
>>
File: Nurse Concept Art.jpg (115 KB, 471x374) Image search: [Google]
Nurse Concept Art.jpg
115 KB, 471x374
>>28209767
I like a lot of games, I've been playing vidya all my life. I really love the MGS series, the Souls series, I like Fallout 1-NV, Mortal Kombat, Resident Evil series, Civilization, but no games inspire my passion like Silent Hill 2 and 3. I have beaten them both many, many times. In fact I've beaten Silent Hill 3 9 times in the past two or three days. When I'm bored I mostly resort to replaying/speedrunning SH2 and SH3.
>>
OP, are you a kv?
Originalo
>>
File: Mary's Dress.jpg (356 KB, 1182x972) Image search: [Google]
Mary's Dress.jpg
356 KB, 1182x972
>>28210274
I am, but I said it in a previous thread, I think I could lose my virginity if I tried. I'm just not concerned with sex. I'm waiting to find the right girl, who I will wait til marriage to sleep with. I know I'll find her.
>>
>>28210313
>right girl meme

Op, do you like Max Payne serie? It kind of has atmosphere look alike SH one, don't you find?
>>
File: Maria Concept Art 4.jpg (239 KB, 566x700) Image search: [Google]
Maria Concept Art 4.jpg
239 KB, 566x700
>>28210342
Yes, in fact Max Payne 1 was what got me into video games when I was young. My dad used to slay fags on Unreal Tournament, and one day he let me play Max Payne. Been playing vidya ever since, I love MP1, MP2, and even MP3, they're all amazing. I agree, not the same horror atmosphere, but I know what you mean. Both are extremely dark, heavily atmospheric games.

>Michellllllleeeee!
>>
>>28210382
What is your fastest speed running time? Are you close to having the fastest?
>>
>>28210382

When I was around 5 my dad used to play UT99 and let me watch, I would always beg him to have a turn and he would tell me 'only when you're 18 anon'

After like a week of this he stopped fucking around and finally let me play and the rest is history, as they say.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (72 KB, 1413x889) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
72 KB, 1413x889
>>28210526
Not really- you have to get extremely lucky to get fast times in SH2 because so many of the puzzles have RNG. You could legitimately lose a minute on each one, and there are 4 puzzles with RNG. SH3 is a lot faster, but I've only tried to speedrun it once.

My times are:
SH2- 56 M 27 S
SH3- 45 M 34 S

I plan to work on SH2 and hopefully get top 5. I think I'm at #14 right now.
>>28210535
Kek, almost the same story here. I love my dad.
>>
I really don't get how critics laud this piece of shit game as the pinnacle of video game storytelling.
>>
File: James Poster.png (413 KB, 464x691) Image search: [Google]
James Poster.png
413 KB, 464x691
>>28210651
I don't know if you're shitposting or actually want to know, but I'll explain.

SH2 is lauded as the pinnacle of video game storytelling because it really is art. SH2 tells its story, fleshes out its characters, and conveys so much information in ways that are only possible in a video game. Every single monster is loaded with symbolism, every single environment is emblematic of different things, and it's so subtle. You could play through the game and not even realize why James did what he did, and you wouldn't understand it until you studied the enemies and the environment designs, both "normal" and Otherworld.

I could go on and on about each enemy, what the environments mean, the music, the characters and how all of their stories are interconnected, how almost every puzzle has intense symbolism for more than thing. If you are just shitposting, whatever, but if you actually want to know, ask me a question about whatever and I will explain how and what it lends to the narrative.
>>
>>28207725
Have you ever considered streaming your SH gameplay on twitch?
>>
File: Laura And Eddie.png (236 KB, 618x378) Image search: [Google]
Laura And Eddie.png
236 KB, 618x378
>>28210739
I've considered it but I don't really like Twitch/live streaming stuff all that much. I have heavily considered doing an LP in which I explain every little detail of the monsters, environments, trivia, whatever as I go. I would do it if I had a better microphone, and if anyone was interested besides me.
>>
>>28210769
As someone who's never played SH before but finds it interesting, I'd watch that.
>>
File: Maria In The Dog Ending.png (462 KB, 799x729) Image search: [Google]
Maria In The Dog Ending.png
462 KB, 799x729
>>28211044
Well that's cool. I think it would be really fun to do. I think my brother's mic is of decent quality- I will ask him to borrow it sometime soon, and see if I can get a good hour recorded. I'll make another one of these threads soon, I make one every few days, so I will post it there.

Hopefully my voice isn't too terrible. I've been told it's okay so I hope I don't sound too spergy.
>>
>>28211101
Awesome. There's something just nice about listening to someone with lots of expertise and passion on a subject, even if you're not an expert yourself.
>>
File: Mary Hair Bun.png (205 KB, 708x600) Image search: [Google]
Mary Hair Bun.png
205 KB, 708x600
>>28211157
Well thank you for your interest, it means a lot friend. I will do my best to make an episode or two within the next week.
>>
>>28210382
>my dad used to slay fags on Unreal Tournament

Holy shit I know that exact feel. I used to love sitting in the computer room with him when I was like 5 and he just got the game, and watching him fuck up dudes left and right on Deck 16 with the plasma gun and the rocket launcher.

He absolutely fucking destroyed on CTF, while I was more of a Domination kind of guy.

I still put that game on a couple of 1GB USB sticks so I can take them to Uni and play practice matches for fun in between classes at the library.

Foregone Destruction is still one of my favorite songs of all time, whenever I need to study I put that shit on a loop and let the D&B seep into my brain, letting me focus really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_0G6WPuss4
>>
>>28211196
Good taste man. That's a great track- and I know that feel, I used to take the game everywhere on a shitty flash drive, installed it on my friend's computer so we could play, it was awesome.

Great game.
>>
File: silent-hill-2-james.jpg (326 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
silent-hill-2-james.jpg
326 KB, 1920x1080
Silent Hill 1 is my favorite because of its story, I replay it the most. Silent Hill 2 is a beautiful work of art. Silent Hill 3 is the scariest. Silent Hill 4 has some scary and beautiful themes, but suffers from some bad decisions. The only other Silent Hill game I completed, Downpour, was merely mediocre, another copy of Silent Hill 2.

Silent Hill 2 is my go to game for when I'm feeling generally shitty. It's a good cleansing of your demons. Unfortunately, I related most with Eddie, and he's shot down like a rabid dog. In my head, Laura got a ride to Silent Hill with Eddie, because you see them in the intro video next to a white van, Eddie's looking at a map, and Laura kicks him in frustration. To me, it seems they form little sister/big brother bond slightly in that game, but it's very behind the scenes, obviously.

Angela is a beautifully tragic character. Sexually abused by her family to the point it drove her to madness and murder. The scene at the end when you run into Angela's personal hell in the burning hallway always makes me cry.

And obviously, the Mary hallway dialogue and letter also make me cry. Wanting to adopt and be happy with her husband, but a terminal illness sucks all happiness she could ever hope to have at a young age. James did the right thing, IMO, but I don't know I'd feel the same if the case were real. I'm sure there's a real case like this SOMEwhere.

I feel about Maria how I feel of Lisa. Learning you're just a manifestation of some sacred power (at least I think that's what happened to Lisa in SH1) to torment others must be a hell of an existential trip. You exist only to be someone else' demons, you will never and can never know love or happiness. Despite the fact Maria is a manifestation, you grow sorrow for her because you know on some level these emotions for James are real and desperately tragic.
>>
File: Abstract Daddy Render.png (1 MB, 1560x1111) Image search: [Google]
Abstract Daddy Render.png
1 MB, 1560x1111
>>28211691
I actually really like that idea of Laura and Eddie coming to Silent Hill together, and I think it's definitely plausible. I agree with your thoughts on all the games, too.

The saddest part about Angela is she went up those burning stairs still thinking she deserved what happened to her

Great analysis of everything overall, I agree wholeheartedly. Good post friend
>>
>>28207725
Anon I got SH2 for a decent price from a pawnshop

Should I play SH1 first? or just jump in to 2? I can't find 1 for a decent price anywhere, and emulating just seems... unsatisfactory, at least without having played the game first.
>>
File: Maria Portrait 1.png (470 KB, 557x1017) Image search: [Google]
Maria Portrait 1.png
470 KB, 557x1017
>>28211765
Don't worry about playing SH2 first- It is completely unrelated to SH1 and SH3 beside some very, very minor references. Just make sure that if you're going to play 3, play 1 first, or at least read the story well.
>>
I just find SH games to be disappointing since its inspirations far exceed it in all aspects, except of course interactivity, if you're going to nitpick. Even then, gameplay isn't exactly SH's forte.
>>
File: Maria Concept Art 3.jpg (208 KB, 504x700) Image search: [Google]
Maria Concept Art 3.jpg
208 KB, 504x700
>>28211854
I disagree wholeheartedly, I think that SH2 is better than the majority of Stephen King's novels, I think it's better than Blue Velvet, and overall much better than Jacob's Ladder.
I think the gameplay is good- the combat is not great though. There is a difference.
Not saying you're wrong though, different strokes for different folks.
>>
>>28211796
Will do anon. Gonna set aside the day on Sunday to get started on it. I've been hearing good things.

Gonna order a few medium pizzas from dominos, get some soda, and just veg out all day playing a good game. Haven't done something like this in a long time.
>>
File: Maria And Laura On The Wall.jpg (121 KB, 1048x619) Image search: [Google]
Maria And Laura On The Wall.jpg
121 KB, 1048x619
>>28211899
Damn dude that sounds comfy, I envy you.
When you're all done and through with the game, give the wiki a read- you'll see just how deep this game is, lorewise. Literally deepest lore.
>>
>>28211854
For me Silent Hill's environments and execution are better than pretty much any other horror in media.
>>
File: Hospital Room.jpg (226 KB, 1100x618) Image search: [Google]
Hospital Room.jpg
226 KB, 1100x618
>>28212273
This

Speaking of, I hope you guys don't mind, but I'm going to post my brief explanation of SH2's environment design. Spoilers ahead:

I'm going to explain why I really like the environment design of SH2 really quickly, and what I believe them to mean lorewise:
The standard issue Silent Hill environment in SH2 is washed out- it's how the apartments look, it's how the Lakeview Hotel looks, it's how the prison looks, it's how the hospital looks before the Otherworld. Everything looks like it has been flooded in the past, everything is water damaged. My interpretation of this is that it represents two things- one, James' intention of killing himself in Silent Hill, which is confirmed in the novelization which uses the In Water ending. His suicidal ideation is apparent numerous times, when he looks at Angela's knife, reading the journal on top of the hospital, it represents his future intentions of driving his car into Toluca Lake and drowning himself. But it also represents too much water- flooding means too much water, and what does too much water mean? Drowning. Drowning=suffocation. It's James' psyche projecting his repressed knowledge of suffocating Mary onto the environment.

The other interesting thing, pic related, is the Otherworld design- notice that everything is tightly wrapped in cloth- in my opinion this has two meanings. One, something in James' psyche is hidden, "under-wraps"- the fact he killed Mary. Two, look how tightly everything is constricted by cloth- it reflects the tight restriction of the pillow on Mary's face, suffocating her. It's too tight to breathe.
>>
>>28212317
That is a pretty interesting idea.
I always thought the grey colour scheme (whereas SH1 would be white and SH3 would be orange/red) was very representative of a kind of purgatory. Everything feels a lot more surreal than the other games. Like James is thinking of where Mary actually is after her death. The smoke just gives a sort of 'lost spirit' vibe, more than the other games.

Also appreciated the fact that death was a recurring theme in that game. He meets a girl in a graveyard who later kills herself. Meets a man who has killed people who he later kills. Pyramid head is essentially the manifestation of his urges to kill. It's really nicely foreshadowed
>>
>>28212557
True, good point on the color scheme. I hate to be an autist, but Eddie has never actually killed anyone before, Ito confirmed it. He killed the football player's dog and shot him in the knee, but never killed anybody. He was a compulsive liar- which is why he acts like he did but is throwing up just from finding the first dead body in the fridge. But otherwise you're right.

Pyramid Head symbolizes a lot of things, but you're right, the main element is James's aggressive urges, sexual and violent.
>>
>>28212612
Forgot about a lot of that stuff.
To be honest I haven't played SH2 in years, only 3.

Out of curiosity, how do you feel about 'Silent Hills'? I felt like it wouldn't have been very good as a SH game. I feel like there would have been very little symbolism and not enough smoke. Silent hill needs smoke.
>>
File: Blue Creek Room 203 Toilet.png (812 KB, 1093x1048) Image search: [Google]
Blue Creek Room 203 Toilet.png
812 KB, 1093x1048
>>28212676
No worries, sorry if I sounded rude.

I kind of agree. I love Kojima, don't get me wrong, but he's never been one for subtly, and the entire reason why SH1-SH3 are loved more than any other SH game is they are subtle. The closest Kojima ever came to subtly was MGS2, and while I love the game, it's very overt in its themes.

That said, I would have loved to play it, but I don't think ANYONE could recreate what the original Team Silent made in those first 4 Silent Hill games.
>>
maybe off topic, but were you disappointed with "the evil within"?
>>
File: Brookhaven Director.png (292 KB, 496x527) Image search: [Google]
Brookhaven Director.png
292 KB, 496x527
>>28212781
I actually never played it. I intend to one day, but I've never gotten around to it. I do love RE4 so I think I'll enjoy it.
>>
Can you not put comfy in the title?
This is not a proper /comfy/ thread, its just a silent hill thread
>>
File: Brookhaven Lady of the Door.jpg (124 KB, 585x397) Image search: [Google]
Brookhaven Lady of the Door.jpg
124 KB, 585x397
>>28212816
Well it's a comfy thread for Silent Hill. Sorry to disappoint, but I like the title, and I find these threads comfy.
>>
>>28211196
>UT99

P A T R I C I A N

>Facing worlds.
I still listen to this song almost every other day.
>>
>>28210769
A LP like that would be nice.

Be sure to have a script before hand or do a voiceover later when you're not busy playing. Making a few runs while doing notes is also highly recommended.
>>
File: Brookhaven Battery Wall.jpg (77 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Brookhaven Battery Wall.jpg
77 KB, 640x480
>>28212853
UT99 is the greatest shooter of all time.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCt0h_VzRfg
This might interest you, OP.

But I don't see much silent hill aesthetic in the actual design yet, except for it being more of a spiritual launch of the canned silent hills.
>>
File: Wood Side Room 307 Landscape.png (760 KB, 855x724) Image search: [Google]
Wood Side Room 307 Landscape.png
760 KB, 855x724
>>28212865
I think I will just reread my documents on enemies and all that, make sure everything is fresh in my mind, then give it a go.

I know the game like the back of my hand, so I don't think I would have much trouble talking while playing. If it doesn't turn out though, I will redo it with a dub over later.
>>
File: Brookhaven Basement Staircase.jpg (66 KB, 500x614) Image search: [Google]
Brookhaven Basement Staircase.jpg
66 KB, 500x614
>>28212894
I have been following this game for a while- it looks amazing graphically, obviously inspired by Silent Hills, but I agree, there's no real Silent Hill aesthetic.

Still, I am interested.
>>
>>28212934
>>28212934
I like your passion and taste in games. I think you'd be well appreciated as a youtube silent hills archivist of sorts with spoken walkthroughs of indepth trivia.

Just make sure you invest well, as in, buy yourself an $60-80 desk mic atleast and make a nice grungy channel banner in the aesthetic of silent hill and you're set.
>>
>>28212894
There is also Visage, which follows the same pattern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i72qLAusxI

At the end, the player enters some obvious SH1 otherworld ripoff, then get more high-tech, then by the end it turns into some spiritual stuff. Which sucks IMHO. The chicken wiring, rust and blood is what makes the otherworld so cool to explore.
>>
File: Wood Side Apartments.png (528 KB, 781x495) Image search: [Google]
Wood Side Apartments.png
528 KB, 781x495
>>28213016
Thank you very much anon, I really appreciate it. I would love to be people's go to as opposed to Twin Perfect. I've only seen part of their videos, but their comedy shtick gets old so quickly.

I'm looking at mics on Amazon as we speak, I my current one is so shitty I don't think it would work.

Thank you again, friend.
>>
>>28213047
>that rust aesthetic
Yep, that's SH1/SH3. If only they stuck with that instead of going all dreamy/tubes/future weird stuff, it would be neat, but at the same time full on rip offs kind of suck.

I'm interested in these games, but I really dislike that they're just high tech walking simulators. It makes it so that the focal point is on the world design and nothing else- Silent Hill has combat, it has puzzles, the enemy designs and environment design is just something sort of "in the background", done very subtly. When you remove the gameplay elements besides walking, it puts those other things in focus, removing all subtly.
>>
File: Pyramid Head Concept Art 1.jpg (23 KB, 340x430) Image search: [Google]
Pyramid Head Concept Art 1.jpg
23 KB, 340x430
Well I picked out a desk mic to order off Amazon, so it looks like soon I will be able to make a Let's Play of sorts where I explain all the symbolism, lore, and trivia as I go. Neat!
>>
Am I dreaming this but wasn't there an arm sticking out of a wall in a corridor in SH2? I can't remember where or when but it freaked the shit out of me as a kid
>>
File: Toluca Morgue 1.jpg (143 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Toluca Morgue 1.jpg
143 KB, 1024x768
>>28213955
Are you thinking of the prison morgue in which there are a lot of limbs sticking out of the wall? You may also be thinking of SH3 in which there is a hand gripping a window in the hospital Otherworld.
>>
>>28214004
Shit, I played these games (2, 3 and the room) 10 years ago so I can't remember

I might replay SH2 because it was my favourite out of the bunch
>>
File: Toluca Morgue 3.png (1 MB, 1199x748) Image search: [Google]
Toluca Morgue 3.png
1 MB, 1199x748
>>28213955
Maybe this?
Otherwise I'm struggling to think of one.
>>
File: Lakeview Otherworld Hallway.jpg (139 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Lakeview Otherworld Hallway.jpg
139 KB, 1024x768
>>28214038
I highly recommend it, check the second post for download links if you don't have it already.
>>
>>28207755

>tfw SH2 didn't work on your POS vista PC

Fugg Butts
>>
File: James Sees Pyramid Head.png (416 KB, 895x811) Image search: [Google]
James Sees Pyramid Head.png
416 KB, 895x811
>>28214582
I remember you, I'm really sorry to hear that anon. I would reupload the file to Mega and give you the link but it sounds like it's a Vista issue. Really sorry friend.
>>
>>28207725
I can't have nothing for myself.
>>
File: James With Noose.gif (972 KB, 500x319) Image search: [Google]
James With Noose.gif
972 KB, 500x319
>>28214758
I don't remember this in the game- what are you referencing?
>>
>>28214638

No worries anon, I'm thankful for your kind efforts to spread this game to as many people as possible.

I'll just get a PS2 copy sometime. I'd like to have a physical copy of SH2, given its legendary status, anyway. Also prefer playing on consoles anyway

I've been interested in SH since I was like 15 and I'm 26 now. About time I actually play the games.
>>
>>28207725
Hey it's you mofo, have you played the D series yet?
>>
File: James Manual.jpg (39 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
James Manual.jpg
39 KB, 500x375
>>28214882
I recommend it- if there's any used game selling/mom and pop/pawn stores around you, I would check there first because they tend to be unaware of the value of the game- these days even the original, non-Restless Dreams version can run you $40 or more online.

I hope you get a copy soon, and I hope you enjoy anon.
>>
>>28208067
Lel hi tom
>>
File: Tomm-Hulett64646.jpg (134 KB, 609x352) Image search: [Google]
Tomm-Hulett64646.jpg
134 KB, 609x352
>Daily reminder that this man killed Silent hill
>>
File: Laura Concept Art 3.jpg (80 KB, 368x323) Image search: [Google]
Laura Concept Art 3.jpg
80 KB, 368x323
>>28214904
Funny you say that- I was just clearing out my sticky notes last night, and saw the one where I saved your post. So I went and downloaded the Iso for D. I am going to play it tomorrow, once again I've been up for 30 some odd hours so I'm not up to starting a game right now. From what I've seen while researching it, it looks fascinating. I'm really surprised I hadn't heard of it before you. I promise by my next thread I will finish D.
>>
File: Angela Concept Model.jpg (110 KB, 881x627) Image search: [Google]
Angela Concept Model.jpg
110 KB, 881x627
>>28214958
You trying to say I'm Tomm Hulett?
>>28214964
He's a worm.
>>
>>28209151
con air con shit
>>
>>28214973
Cool cool, and if you enjoy that game I'd recommend the other two in the series.
>>
>>28214993
You don't like Con Air? I think it's a fun movie.
>>28214994
Thank you for your recommendations friend. Happy to see you stop by, too.
>>
File: James In The Dog Ending.png (224 KB, 379x607) Image search: [Google]
James In The Dog Ending.png
224 KB, 379x607
Hey, guys, if you've seen my past threads, you know that I'm on a pretty rigorous sleep schedule of "stay awake for 30-40 hours then sleep for 17-20". It's getting to that point where I'm pretty sleepy, so I think I am going to hit the hay. Thank you for another good thread. This one was a bit slower and smaller, but you've all been very friendly and it was great to talk to you. You are all very nice to me, and that means a lot. Next time I come back, I hope to be nearly finished with my SH2 archive. I hope you all have a wonderful day/evening, and if you're just seeing this thread/post now, please look at the beginning of the thread for download links for all the games, free, with all the widescreen/no cd fixes included.

Once again, thank you for letting me talk about my favorite game for a while, I will be back in a few days time.
>>
>>28215196
Goodnight sweet Sunderland prince, may we discuss the meaningful allegories of Silent Hill another evening.
>>
>>28215196
Sleep well SHbro.
>>
>>28215196
sleep well, tbo baka baka desu senpai
>>
Hey OP

This is a pretty cool thread for a shit place like this.

I used to watch my brother play all the Silent Hill's, he's a huge collector has everyone and some collectibles. He likes horror stuff. Resident Evil too.

I'm a Metal Gear fanboy but never considered doing this.

Gonna go play SH1 now.
Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 64

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.