[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How hard is it to go back to college after 2 years? I need to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
How hard is it to go back to college after 2 years? I need to go back or else there is no hope for me to get anywhere in life.
>>
not hard at all

I'm a 4th year engineering student, I have two classes with this guy who is 32, dropped out at 23, went and lived in south america for a couple of years and decided he wanted to go back after he had a wife and kid

He is awesome and has cool stories, and gets good grades

u need to relax OP, its not the end of the world, a college degree helps but is not everything in life
>>
>>28127604
depends on whether or not you've addressed whatever caused you to leave in the first place
>>
It's actually not hard at all. Even black single mothers can go back to school and get degrees, or 55 year old fat dudes or 27 year old NEETS. It's only hard if you 1. Don't know your degree path 2. Don't get extra help if you need it. My sperg ass had to get a tutor for my basic math requirement, it was humiliating but I passed and got my associate's. I'm now only 2 semesters and an internship away from my bachelor's and the thing that helped a lot was making an ultra-ridiculously-detailed plan with a counselor and just giving the classes the time they needed. Don't feel like it's too late or even that it's too much, you can even take 1-2 classes a semester if you want to ease back into it. Don't push yourself too hard or feel pressured to take 4+ classes your first time back or you will crash. Sorry if I sound patronizing or like I don't know your situation, I'm just giving advice from my experience. Good luck
>>
not hard. I had to quit for 2 years to work. I sometime get flack for my age from 19 yo trustfund/scholarship kids but fuck 'em. I graduate this semester
>>
File: 1343274649593.png (65 KB, 735x684) Image search: [Google]
1343274649593.png
65 KB, 735x684
>Want to get into boat mechanics
>Have to go to school for it
>Horrendous at math
>Afraid of debt
>>
>>28127745
your probably not as bad as you think. Doing math for a reason you actually care about will positively effect your math habits I think
>>
>>28127646
>>28127693
I stopped going before because we had financial troubles in our household (my mother and I) so I was forced to work but at the time I was struggling in science classes (failed biology and physics). I might have to take out a loan but I should be alright for this go around.
>>
>>28127745

You're only horrendous at math because you don't/didn't practice it enough. All math is practice, anyone can be good at it if they practice.

I failed basic algebra 1 in highschool three times, then I eventually went on to engineering school and recently just finished linear algebra/multivariable calculus. All it took was one good teacher in high-school to show me that the only thing that made me bad at math was practice.

As for debt, that is a legitimate fear, but you should use it as motivation, not fear. Sometimes in life you need to take risks, and debt is a risk, but as long as you don't get in under your head having a little bit of debt isn't the end of the world.
>>
>>28127829
> failed basic algebra 1 in highschool three times

I knew you didn't have to be that smart to be an engineer. Every engineer I meet acts like their curriculum is some otherworldly multi dimensional string theory math shit
>>
>>28127801
Make sure to apply for every scholarship you might be eligible for. Also if you are poor enough you might qualify for a good amount of financial aid, it just depends. When my family was basically at the poverty line I only had to pay for my books to get my associate's aside from like 1k, it was amazing. Now that my parents are doing better and I moved out it's harder but I still was surprised when I got a small scholarship, it helped me a lot. Also see if you can get a job at the school if interested, that was my first job and it was AWESOME.
>>
>>28127893

Doing well in engineering is just about how much work your willing to put up with and how much time your willing to put in, depending on your level of intelligence.

There are 'smart' engineers who are total fucking dumbasses and have no common sense, and there are 'stupid' engineers who have to look everything up but can do magic with their hands and just know shit with their intuition

engineering is a broad field anyway, the ones that act like their curriculum is some otherworldly multi dimensional string theory math shit are just insecure nobodies trying to validate their existence of doing math problems and busy work all day

engineering requires a specific type of person, some people have it, others don't. to generalize the entire major, one of the largest academic disciplines today based off a couple faggots self opinion is just silly anon.
>>
>>28127956
Yeah, I know. I never doubted the legitimacy or discipline or any given engineering field but in my own experience (and the experience of people I talk to) engineers tend to have a severe disrespect for any degree that isn't STEM 100%. History,writing, art, economics, philosophy whatever.
>>
>>28127829
Even when I would try to practice I could never wrap my head around math. Hell I can't even do long division.

Also I'm a horrible student.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.