[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
History thread: Post about fun history in this thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5
File: Machiavelli.jpg (13 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Machiavelli.jpg
13 KB, 300x300
Niccolo di Bernardo dei Machiavelli, who I shall simply call Machiavelli for the sake of ease(implying I didn't google his full name) was born in Florence in 1469. His family was a member of the established middle class but they weren't particularly wealthy for their status. There is almost nothing on his early life except for small words he's heard to have said about them and general knowledge we can gather about him through his works. One amusing thing about Machiavelli is that he is said to have joked about good it felt to fuck some of the younger kids when you were at schooling age. It is true that a lot of the middle class children during the time used to borderline rape and molest each other so it is very possible that Machiavelli could have been victim to this. It's also possible he could have been the villain. He also learned Latin, Grammar, Rhetoric all that classic shit. I joke about 'classic shit' but, Machiavelli was definitely a man of the classics throughout his life. It was around this time that he is said to have claimed Livy's history of the Roman Republic to one of the most important books to read. It is likely that this would shape his future philosophy.

Machiavelli was seen to have first gain political office in 1498 where he was elected head of the second chancery. The chancery, for lack of a better explanation, an embassy. Essentially, Machiavelli became a diplomat. Now, by this time a lot has occurred to show the shaping of Machiavelli's thinking process. Before he is even seen on the political floor, The Italian wars have started and Alexander VI has become pope (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDDCQc3m_1U). The Borgia Family in a bit more detail later but they are very important in Machiavelli's political philosophy. In the same year Machiavelli was also elected secretary to the Ten of War. The Ten of War is the Florencian political body relating to military matters.
>>
File: 1456961451178.jpg (40 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1456961451178.jpg
40 KB, 500x500
>>28122604
In similar words to Thuycdides on certain events, I won't go over all of his diplomatic missions because that would be tedious for the both of us. I shall go over ones that are clear to have formed his opinion. I just had to double check these parts in one of my books.

His second diplomatic mission was to Caterina Sforza of Imola and Forli. Although legally her son (Ottaviano Riario) was in charge of these lands the military mind, Caterina was the woman in charge. Caterina made quite the impression on Machiavelli who wrote songs and poems about her. In anycase, he was there to negioate getting Ottaviano to offer his military services towards Florence. He would have to pay them large amounts but it looked like he was going to succeed, up until Caterina said she would only defend them if they would defend her land if Venice decided to attack her lands. They really only wanted to hire an army and this was out of Machiavelli's political power. He had to decline and he came back. A little anecdote about Caterina, it is said that when her sons were threatened to be killed and held hostage in front of her she lifted up her skirt and said "I HAVE THE FOLDS TO MAKE MORE". Although, this is only said by Machiavelli and there are no other sources to say that it's right so it's possible Machiavelli just made it up. Caterina did become a sort of heroine across Italy for her solidatary against the Borgia. She had a poor end to her life. All her land was gone, her power gone, most of her children dead.
>>
File: Mach Pepe.jpg (4 KB, 356x142) Image search: [Google]
Mach Pepe.jpg
4 KB, 356x142
>>28122617
It's about to get sad. In 1512 the Spanish troops involved in the Italian wars took over Florentine and the Medici family returned to power after being ousted in 1494 when French troops kicked them out (Note the lack of control over his nation is another reason why Machiavelli thought the way he did. Machiavelli was falsey accused of conspiracy and arrested. More importantly, Machiavelli was tortured. He was tortured by strappado (pic related). This went on for quite some time but Machiavelli said nothing. He was then freed. He then left to his country villa where he would spend the rest of his life.

It was during this time that for us Machiavelli begins to shine. By 1516 The Prince is written and being circulated. He writes plays and comedies like Clizia and he write his own version of "The Art of War" and he begins to write Discourses on Livy and becomes a man of letters. He wrote numerous times begging to be allowed back into Public office and he expressed his desire to his friends about wanting to get back in. He died in 1527 and Discourses on Livy was published posthumously.
>>
>>28122604
is this hoss?
>>
File: AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH.png (69 KB, 867x735) Image search: [Google]
AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH.png
69 KB, 867x735
>>28122656
Now I shall clear up a few misconceptions and I shall clear up a few things about him. Firstly and most importantly, The Prince is not a satire. There is so much evidence to suggest this: his private messages to his friends, his messages to the Medici, his desire for a single united Italy justifying a brief tyranny. He wrote The Prince essentially as way to try and get back into public office. It failed. It certainly skewed a few of his views but that was because of his desire to get back in with men who didn't want to be republican but instead wanted to be tyrannical.

Machiavelli was not an evil man. The amusing thing about Machiavelli is that personally speaking he is not Machiavellian. He was well known for being funny and witty.

Machiavelli wasn't a GREAT diplomat. Machiavelli was a good diplomat. He wasn't great at all. He didn't have much success as a diplomat at all failing to secure troops, failing to foster strong enough relations, now you may say that he never had a chance to prove himself since there was so much against him and I accept that but I believe we would be calling him great if he managed to fight against those odds successfully.

I'm not sure I'd call this a misconception because I accept arguments from both sides. But, I doubt Machiavelli was an atheist. He was certainly very cynical about religion believing it to be needed to keep a state together but at the same time critisizing Christianity for allowing power to given so freely without a struggle to men of the church. In his environment and the fact that he did go to church privately means he was likely a Christian, just not a hard line one.
>>
>>28122657
Hoss?

I don't know what you mean desu m80
>>
>>28122701
>tfw my history threads never end up working out.
>>
>see interesting thread
>tripfag
Oh well
>>
I read it all OP just so you know, thanks for sharing. I'm not much of a historian myself so I haven't really got anything to share.
>>
>>28123201
Your prejudice means you'll lose the chance to learn about Machiavelli.
>>
If Machiavelli wasn't a particularly successful statesman himself, how could he write a book about good statesmanship?
>>
File: 1460272984307.png (98 KB, 600x500) Image search: [Google]
1460272984307.png
98 KB, 600x500
>>28123445
Yeah this is the only place I can learn about Machiavelli, at least with the invaluable commentary of someone who attention whores on a mongolian fly-fishing forum.
>>
>>28123201
This. Good content but shame about the attention-whoring poster. Take the trip off and I'll gladly contribute.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.