[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I feel like I'm getting dumber every single day. For context,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
File: rottingbrain.gif (109 KB, 500x287) Image search: [Google]
rottingbrain.gif
109 KB, 500x287
I feel like I'm getting dumber every single day. For context, I'm a drawing guy. When I was 14-16, I was blooming with ideas. Kept a sketch pad on me at all times, along with a notebook on my bedside table where I'd jot down every single idea I had. I used to write all sorts of shit, ranging from short stories to world building. I also felt a passion towards art and had opinions I'd defend in a heartbeat and fervently.

Currently, I have to make an effort to even think up of anything. I feel like I'm shit at drawing. I honestly couldn't care less about anything art-related and will not bother to argue anything with anyone unless I feel like someone's trying to shove down anything down my throat. I don't feel motivated. I've lost all drive.

Pic related, is how I feel.
>>
Yeah I kept all my stuff.
I thought it was great when I was 14-16, but it's all childish shit that basically plagiarized whatever I watched a few years ago subconsciously.

Kids an idiots.
>>
File: tumblr_o3hpclB3RN1tmg607o1_1280.png (2 MB, 1200x1440) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o3hpclB3RN1tmg607o1_1280.png
2 MB, 1200x1440
>>28118131
I know how you feel. If you're really a "drawing guy" though you wouldn't feel worried about being inspired, getting back into it is just a matter of drawing from life/books until you get your muscle memory back. You don't really have to think of a single thing, just take a Burne Hogarth book and start drawing the exercises.

I draw too, currently I haven't had time to manage my own personal art because of art school, but it's not hard to just start drawing again.

Picture is something I drew a couple months ago, been too busy to want to draw my own stuff since really.
>>
>>28118131
how old are you roboti sempai?
>>
>>28118131
You'll never be as hormonal as you were when you were a teenager. Being a teenager is like being on drugs.

As an adult, you need to re-asses whether you have genuine interest in drawing. If you do, you need to discipline yourself to exert actual effort into a creative process.
>>
File: 1436227433746.jpg (84 KB, 862x960) Image search: [Google]
1436227433746.jpg
84 KB, 862x960
>>28118188
i made a nice pile with all my drawings and stuff and burned all down to ashes, no regrets
>>
>>28118212
I'm 22. Currently taking a degree in arts.

>>28118202
I haven't really stopped drawing, but now I must force myself to draw anything at all. That's just exhausting and frustrating, so no, it's not just a matter of getting my muscle memory back.
>>
>>28118261
Post some of your stuff then if it's that big a crisis to you that you just can't seem to draw some gd heads and hands.
>>
>have to force myself
you're done, you need to take a break for a while.
>>
>>28118280
I don't have anything recent on my computer right now.
>>
>>28118131
I'm going to make a lot of assumptions here but bear with me.
First of all you should try and get in good shape. It seems pointless in the beginning but it does really help.
Secondly you should try and stop feeling the need to be creative. Inspiration either strikes you or it doesn't, there is no need to be stressed about it.
Instead you should spend time with other peoples works. Again don't try too hard, just spend a time just wandering about a museum or gallery, see if something does something for you. If it does try and understand why. With time you might come and see things that passed you by before, both in art and in life.
>>
File: successful color.jpg (802 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
successful color.jpg
802 KB, 1536x2048
>>28118306
Well, look, you'll be a lot happier if you just start drawing again for like an hour everyday. Or even just a couple pages of studies.

If it bothers you THAT much. It's like saying you gotta take a dump but the toilet is too far away. You have creative urges and blocking those urges is self-destructive, anon.
>>
>>28118131
Sounds like you're depressed. I'm in the same boat - I still have tons of ideas but they all seem like crap and too much effort to be worth doing. And I have my agent riding my ass right now. Blech.
>>
>>28118312
Get in good shape as in becoming physically more active? That is one thing I plan on doing when I'm done with university, actually.

I guess I understand what you mean with the rest. I don't really feel much whenever I look at other people's works, though. Maybe I really am not stimulating myself enough.

>>28118348
I've actually stopped drawing regularly because I felt terrible while drawing. It's like you're telling me to do A to avoid B when A was causing B. Regardless, I still try to keep a sketchbook and draw on it from time to time. Don't want to go back to zero. But it's difficult.
>>
>>28118131
30 year old here

It's fucking true. My brain is nowhere near as sharp as it was when I was 18-20. I feel I wasted those years doing bullshit jobs/video games when I could've been studying. Now I'm 30 and trying to study and it's fucking hard (I got good grades in HS) sometimes I'll jsut read through a page of ntoes and nothing sinks in yet back in high school I never even revised and did fine.
>>
File: redacted form.jpg (792 KB, 1643x2048) Image search: [Google]
redacted form.jpg
792 KB, 1643x2048
>>28118430
I'm not gonna tell you how to feel about it. I'm guilty of neglecting my own work too, but what I wish you would understand is that no one who draws, even pros, avoid what you feel. Drawing is like going to the gym, somedays it feels great and others you just absolutely do not want to go, but the end result is an improved physique/improved skill level of drawing for the sake of that analogy.

Maybe take that other anon's advice and pop into /fit/. Empower yourself. It's all in your head dude.
>>
>>28118131
You could try traveling and bringing a sketchpad, finding something to draw is easy when there's lots of variation.
>>
>>28118430
Yes, I was referring to you physical condition.
Regarding other peoples work... I'm not sure if this helps but personally find art depicting nature the most effectual. This is probably because i grew up close to wild areas. Some works just manages top capture a feeling that i recognise, feelings that I and the artist probably share.
Try finding whatever that is to you.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.