[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Book Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 9
What books are you guys and gals reading right now? I'm working my way through The Familiar: Volume 2 right now and really enjoying it.

I think that Mark Z. Danielewski is my favorite modern author and can't wait to see where he's taking this story.

It's been challenging finding decent translations for the Arabic and especially the Cantonese Chinese sections but other than that it's just been a very enjoyable read. I haven't noticed as many "codes" in it as Only Revolutions and House of Leaves had but that might just be because I'm missing them.

Anyone else reading this?

If not, what are you reading and how are you liking it?
>>
File: Virgil_Reading_the_Aeneid.jpg (2 MB, 3600x2540) Image search: [Google]
Virgil_Reading_the_Aeneid.jpg
2 MB, 3600x2540
I have House of Leaves. Haven't taken a serious read, though.

Currently I am on my second read through Brave New World and The Ego and Its Own
>>
File: hol3.jpg (376 KB, 799x584) Image search: [Google]
hol3.jpg
376 KB, 799x584
>>28033705
I think House of Leaves is definitely worth it but it is a bit of an investment. If you don't mind Johnny Truant's flowery language there is a lot to enjoy in there. It clicked with a lot of personal issues and relations in my life that made it the most terrifying and personal book I've ever read.

Brave New World is absolutely fantastic as well but it's always hit me as a strange read. So much of the "science fiction" it presents really is just our modern world. Plus I just don't think it's all that bad, from my viewpoint anyway. I should give it another read since I haven't in over a decade.

How is The Ego and Its Own anyway? I've been meaning to give a few philosophical books a read and it's been on my list for ages, I have no idea when I added it or why.
>>
File: kiyonaga_3.jpg (2 MB, 1979x1491) Image search: [Google]
kiyonaga_3.jpg
2 MB, 1979x1491
>>28033618
I'm reading a short book on Kiyonaga right now, from probably the best intro to ukiyo-e series I've found (Masterworks of Ukiyo-e). There's two pages dedicated to laying out a lineage of the various schools of ukiyo-e around the end of the 18th century, which is kind of awful to read through. Would've been better as a chart. The print selection is great, as it was in the other volumes.

I just got the two hulking volumes of The Art of the Japanese Book by Jack Hillier from the library that I'll be trawling through next.
>>
File: tseliot.jpg (8 KB, 286x289) Image search: [Google]
tseliot.jpg
8 KB, 286x289
>>28033814

Im sure I'll take it off the shelf once I feel prepared.

Brave New World has pristine poetic language and clear--at times disturbing--imagery. Found it refreshing compared reading other clumsy and verbose novelists.

I would recommend to read up to what you can handle. German to English translations can be difficult and Stirner tends to overwrite.

There are, however, many arresting passages among the fluff for the intelligent reader.
>>
>Saddam Hussein: The Politics of Revenge
And
>Dimensions of Classical Sufi Thought
>>
Is The Familiar enjoyable if I'm not interested in obsessing over the book and its easter eggs or whatever?
>>
>>28034018
Definitely. It's actually pretty light on easter eggs for a MZD novel. There are a few sections that you might be straight up confused by but you quickly get through them and move on to another character's POV and can enjoy that section of the story instead.
>>
>>28033618

Christian Slaves, Muslim Masters; The Odyssey; Mycelium Running

And some textbooks on php and regular expressions
>>
I'm in the middle of like 5 books at the moment and no real interest in continuing them.
>>
File: Gears_of_War_AF_Cover.png (282 KB, 281x420) Image search: [Google]
Gears_of_War_AF_Cover.png
282 KB, 281x420
>>28034189
Start a sixth one and call it quits on those 5. If you don't want to read them they're not worth your time and you can always go back to them and start from the beginning if you change your mind later.

Read a trash novel to help reset your enjoyment of reading. I suggest Gears of War: Aspho Fields.
>>
File: tumblr_nokaj8I6R81s2jczpo1_1280.jpg (860 KB, 1280x1707) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nokaj8I6R81s2jczpo1_1280.jpg
860 KB, 1280x1707
I like fantasy. Not that science shit.

Obviously i read books to get way from real life not to confront it.
>>
>>28034320
I've never been able to get into fantasy novels. The only ones I've ever read that I enjoyed were ASOIAF and I honestly didn't really like anything after A Storm of Swords.

Do you have any recommendations of fantasy series that don't have elves (very important) and aren't completely gay (less important)?
>>
I've been reading Notes From the Underground and it surprises me that this book isn't mentioned all the time here, it feels like textbook robospeak
>>
>>28033618
The Book of Disquiet.

It's nice and comfy so far.
>>
>>28034364
Such a fantastic read. I haven't spent much time on this board but if the majority of folks here honestly speak like the Narrator... that is horrifying.
>>
>>28034362
The Alchemist.

Holy shit this book was good.
>>
>>28033618
Re-reading Jim Thompson's Child of Rage and partway through Image of the Beast by Phillip Jose Farmer. There was an awesome comic book based on it from the 70s and I'm really enjoying the novel.
>>
Reading Conquest of the Useless right now.

>>28034707
I've just finished reading Thompson's The Killer Inside Me, which was a really good read.
>>
>>28034362
Forgot to mention The immortal prince series by Jennifer Fallon.

There are gay characters but the story and everything completely overshadows that.
No elves either.
>>
>>28034468
literal trash tier.

no one takes coelho seriously in HUEland
>>
>>28035146
>No elves
That's the most important part.

Added the first novel to my Library holds list.
>>
>>28034362
the wheel of time. it's 14 books, plenty of escape from reality.
>>
Higher Order Perl and Let Over Lambda
I haven't read fiction in a while
>>
>>28035250
If it was trash tier then why did publishers even bother translating the damn book?

Usually only really good books get translated into English from whatever language they were originally written in.
>>
File: The Color of Water.jpg (151 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
The Color of Water.jpg
151 KB, 400x600
>>28033618
I don't know why people hate black people so much
It's not the color of their skin
It's the parents that haven't taught their children well
Anyone can be a shitty person, it isn't because they were born a certain color they deserve to be treated horribly and cast out from society
Shame on anyone who hates people for superficial reasons
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.