[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Real depression is a meme. Depression is just being sad. >you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6
File: 129073213.png (201 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
129073213.png
201 KB, 900x900
Real depression is a meme. Depression is just being sad.

>you are 10 years old and both your parents die, you are sad not depressed because of chemicals in your head

>you are 1/10 ugly and are sad because you wont attract a female, you are not depressed because you show signs of insecurity

>you are 30 years old without high school and no job experience, you are feeling bad because you know your life is basically over, you are not depressed because you show signs of hopelessness

"Depression" always has a reason to exist and once you remove that reason you are no longer depressed. Jew happy pills won't help. This is why it's a meme disease.
>>
>>28022314
Don't you feel like a genius now?

Except you sound like those mothers on twitter and FB who spam that vaccines cause autism without having any biological background, let alone scientific.

Just because you think something, doesn't mean that's how it is.

You can "feel sad" for no reason, if the "chemicals" you so speak about are fucked in your head.

I don't endorse what you call "happy pills", but it is a very very old disease, going all the way back to Socrates times, when it was first mentioned (as far as we know).

P.S
"reasons" can't always be removed or changed, to stop "being sad", if we were to talk outside depression.
>>
File: I8yYHA4.png (55 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
I8yYHA4.png
55 KB, 625x626
>>28022314
If you honestly think you're right then you might be retarded
>>
File: tumblr_lvb7osWgCG1qzlcxg.jpg (162 KB, 500x550) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lvb7osWgCG1qzlcxg.jpg
162 KB, 500x550
>a cretin on r9k thinks he has solved depression
>>
>>28022423
>You can "feel sad" for no reason, if the "chemicals" you so speak about are fucked in your head.
Ah yes, the famous chemical imbalance. Because depression is diagnosed by checking your chemical balance rather than what you describe to them.

I have been diagnosed with depression and I know it's a meme disease. I am the way I am because of events that occured in my life and because I am who I am. Not because some chemical imbalance you speak off.

>>28022528
I believe that 100%. If you think I am wrong please post an example of how I am wrong.

>>28022533
I go to psychiatrist. I say I look ugly and I think people mock me because of it. She types in the report "shows signs of depression (he believes he is ugly)". Except you know, I actually am ugly.
>>
Congrats anon, you've realized that you are in control of your life, and nothing is forcing you to be "depressed" Even if you are ugly or have a stump for a leg or no parents.
>>
>>28022598
>I actually am ugly
You may be ugly in your eyes. Not everyone defines beauty the same way. Also you can change what you define as beauty.

As far as the chemical imbalance thing goes I feel that being sad has a chemical state associated with it and we need to consider the direction of cause here. Did your chemicals change which made you sad(for example withdrawal such as an alcohol hangover) or are you sad from whats happening/happened in your life and so your internal chemical state is reflecting that.

I think it is dangerous to say it is just a chemical imbalance and I need something from outside(pills) to fix it because this precludes you changing your habits/life to make yourself happier.
>>
>>28022423
>>28022528
>>28022533

its amazing how defensive r9k gets as soon as you make an attempt to show their trump card of a scapegoat is nothing.
>>
>>28022598
Then I assume you're in U.S.

Also, a psychiatrist or a psychologist most of the times is not an actual doctor or has no medical background, unless you're dealing with a highly-qualified one, which I doubt you are.

You don't have depression, you have a shitty under-qualified psychiatrist or psychologist who simply follows the guidelines and wants to deal with you and probably other of hers/his "patients" as least as possible.

In such a scenario, just writing out "happy pills", is what they most of the times will end up doing.

Grats on not being depressed, my condolences for being stupid though.
>>
>>28022772
I neither have depression, nor am I depressed, nor do I actively browse /r9k/, it's simply annoying that someone decided he can figure out something as complex as "depression" with "you're just sad because something happened, just stop being sad, remove the problem".
>>
File: 1460680048013.png (555 KB, 3300x3140) Image search: [Google]
1460680048013.png
555 KB, 3300x3140
>>28022772
>show their trump card of a scapegoat is nothing

what could this possibly mean
>>
>>28022785
I am not from US, I am from europe. Psychiatrist is someone who completed med school (6 years) and then another 6 years (maybe less) for specialization of psychiatry.

I have clinically diagnosed depression by multiple psychiatrists for the following reasons.

1. Suicidal, because I don't see any purpose in living since I will never have a meaningful relationship with a female. I will never become something since I have schizophrenia and have no college education or any skills at 23.
2. I am ugly, which is why I will never attract a female.
3. I had an abusive childhood which had an impact on how I perceive emotions.

>>28022823
I have never encountered a "depressed" person who was "depressed" because nothing happened to him.
I know one guy who didn't even finish high school and was 28. He was depressed. I know another guy who was like 5'5 and fat. He was depressed. I know another guy who was 55 and was like 5'3. He was depressed. Also all of this guys never had a girlfriend. I can keep going. I know another guy who was poor and his mother was about to die. This guy was depressed.
Every time I saw a depressed person they had reasons to be depressed. Taking happy pills wouldn't solve those problems.

>>28022823
Think about how many people you know that are depressed and have no reason to be depressed. This is what happy pills will fix.
>>
>>28022922
Alright then do you think something like manic depression is a meme?
>>
>>28023015
Do you mean bipolar disorder?

That's not really depression, that's a different illness. That's like saying anxiety isn't a meme because people who have schizophrenia can experience anxiety.
>>
>>28023065
So if depression isn't real what causes people to want to kill themselves?
>>
>Think about how many people you know that are depressed and have no reason to be depressed. This is what happy pills will fix.

This. Cognitive behavioral therapy is directly for people who are '''''depressed'''''' because no gf for a month and meaningless shit like that. CBT focuses on the positives in your life, and focuses your energy towards that. Whereas robots, wizards, etc... don't have any positives. So, we're just stuck, and at best given jewpills to zombify us into good goy wageslaves.
>>
>>28023098
1. Social isolation
2. Severe illness
3. Being Ugly
4. Rejection
5. Hopelessness
6. Being a burden on society and those you care about

And more, but I can't think of them right now.
>>
>>28023188
Alright, I understand that those things can cause suicides but why do humans choose to kill themselves? Is it some sort of evolutionary trait?
>>
I agree with you somewhat OP. Yes, depression is usually a result of bad experiences/environment. But when you are exposed to this constantly for years on end it becomes all you know and when you're fed up of feeling sad and angry you're natural emotional state is to feel nothing.

Depression is not feeling sad about your life. It's when your so run down you just don't really give a shit, but you wish you could.
>>
>>28022922
What you (or another guy) names here: >>28023188
Most of it, feeling like it, etc, could fall under "feeling sad" or "being depressed".

If you think that depression doesn't exist and it's just a bunch of sad people who are sad because of one or another or several things, then all the more freedom for you.

Reality however is very different. The way you describe WHY you're sad, is the reason why you could be depressed.

Your outlook is shit, it's not that you think you're ugly (even if you are), it's that you think that looking good and/or attracting a female is all there is and that you have no chance at it, no matter what.

Your problem is that you think in ultimatums and extremes and refuse to change your opinion and/or outlook about it.

Same goes now, how you decide that depression isn't real and it's just "being sad about something".

I think you have more problems than just being depressed.
>>
>>28022745
>You may be ugly in your eyes. Not everyone defines beauty the same way. Also you can change what you define as beauty.

Fuck off back to tumblr REEEEE
>>
>>28022314
>be me, walking outside
>it's a lovely day today, the sun shines down my side and warms me inside
>all around me are people laughing, having fun. they're so happy.
>but in spite of this, I feel sad. there is no reason for it, but, I do.
>why can I not be happy? is this my fault? i feel guilty. i feel sad. there's a wall of grey around me.

tl;dr: here's you're (You)
>>
>>28022423
>>28022423
>>28022314 (OP)
Don't you feel like a genius now?
Except you sound like those mothers on twitter and FB who spam that vaccines cause autism without having any biological background, let alone scientific.
Just because you think something, doesn't mean that's how it is.
You can "feel like another gender" for no reason, if the "chemicals" you so speak about are fucked in your head.
I don't endorse what you call "hormone pills", but it is a very very old disease, going all the way back to Socrates times, when it was first mentioned (as far as we know).
P.S
"reasons" can't always be removed or changed, to stop "being a different gender", if we were to talk outside gender dysphoria.
>>
>>28023360
Your point? I agree that ggender dysphoria is a disease and should be cured or treated (just not with hormone pills).

Both means you're fucked in the head because of long-lasting chemical reactions that causes changes in your brain or simply because you're a mental case.
>>
>>28023248
I don't know what you are asking so I can't answer.
>>28023299
>Your outlook is shit, it's not that you think you're ugly (even if you are), it's that you think that looking good and/or attracting a female is all there is and that you have no chance at it, no matter what.
My outlook is not shit. You are saying me that even though I won't satisfy the most important desire (evolutionary) which is having sex and reproducing with a female I shouldn't feel bad about it. You are saying that even though I will never have companionship with a female I shouldn't bad sad. You are saying that even though 99.9% of population experiences it and reminds of it every time I go outside I should not feel bad about it.

I don't think in extremes. I think about situations and come to a conclusion.
I think it's logical to assume that I will never amount to anything in my life.
>>28023312
Why would you be happy because people around you are laughing? I think you are thinking depression is something it is not.
>>
File: 1460569407442.jpg (125 KB, 615x820) Image search: [Google]
1460569407442.jpg
125 KB, 615x820
>>28023479
>I don't know what you are asking so I can't answer.

How do you not understand my question? I want you to tell me why humans choose to voluntarily end their existence if they are just sad.
>>
>>28023479
extremes is saying - "I'll NEVER do this", "I won't EVER achieve this", etc.

I know a guy in his late 40's who's short and fat and isn't handsome and married a very pretty chick in her 20's, because they shared same interests. (No, he wasn't rich, nor is he)

If you think that looking good is all that matters, you're stupid, not depressed.

Looks fade the fuck away and fast. Looks matter in your teens and your uni years, after that nobody gives a single fuck about looks, they care about character, because they'll have to deal with that shit every day, for years and years, if they'll stick with you.
>>
>>28023479
I don't think you've actually ever been depressed
>>
>>28022922
But anon, real, lasting happiness is always internal.
I bet you were fucked in your childhood & formative years by emotionally neglecting parents, and now have big problems because of this.
Your effort to explain this logically and find present reasons that 'explain' your turmoil is in accordance to the above.

Your problem is emotional and the way to solve it must be targeted there too. Happy pills help calm you down, nothing more. Then it's up to you to dig deep and find (ie relive) that emotional root of yours
Many doctors are just affirming the status quo; the fuckers have no guts to say that you don't need to become something or be an adjusted member of society to be happy.

Is your place Central / Northern EU ?
>>
>>28023544
I answered by stating reasons. I don't know how to answer your question regarding evolutionary trait since it has nothing to do with being sad. Suicide evolutionary makes no sense, since our purpose is to reproduce and suicide prevents that.

>>28023563
>extremes is saying - "I'll NEVER do this", "I won't EVER achieve this", etc.
Because I have enough reason to believe this.
You see people like you see someone who has one or two negative qualities and than another person who has two different negative qualities and than another person who has another two different negative qualities and they see them succeed.
So when they see someone with all 6 negative qualities they look at them separately and because those 3 people combined have those negative qualities and succeeded the person with all 6 can also succeed.

This is also. He might be ugly, but I think he has a pretty face, and poor but I don't think he was bad socially, had a severe illness, abusive childhood and so on.
>>28023576
Well I will take the opinion of psychiatrists over your opinion.
>>
>>28023690
See, again your problem as mentioned, you refuse to even THINK differently than what you nail into your own head.

No he wasn't handsome, nor had a pretty face, you chose to IGNORE the part where I said that CHARACTERS matter, NOT looks, after you're done with university.

Of course, if you keep up such attitude, you're fucked.
>>
>>28023751
Character is the least important feature of a person, I don't know why you keep telling me any different.
You can't just say my points are wrong because I disagree with you.

And looks matter less after uni, sure they do. Women want to attract a beta provider for her family. I do not want a role of a beta provider nor can I take on that role.
>>
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 218x321) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 218x321
>>28022598
What about psychotic features like hallucinations, and intensive paranoia? The main cause for these types of symptoms is actually proven to be caused to a SEVERE chemical imbalance, i.e. depleting serotonin levels in the brain.

t. Cyborg diagnosed with MDD/ psychosis
>>
Have people actually deluded themselves into thinking depression is an illness, depression is just having a realistic outlook on yourself.
>>
>>28025091
That's not depression, that is psychosis or schizophrenia and it's a real disease which also gets cured by medication.
You can't cure schizophrenia by talking to people and solving your problems.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.