[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Maladaptive Daydreaming Disorder
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (107 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
107 KB, 1280x720
Hello, I'm in need of some assistance here.

As long as I can remember, I've had a problem with daydreaming. Now, I'm sure most of you are probably thinking that it's just regular daydreaming, but it gets a lot worse than that.

Ever since I was a child, I would have extensive fantasies that would often replace human interaction. I'll commonly create alternate worlds in my mind, or idealized versions of myself and my existence or circumstances; they're very elaborate and often comparable to movies or novels.

Often times I'll whisper, talk, make facial expressions and shake some type of object in my hand when I'm having these daydreams. As a child I had a Woody toy that I used for these daydreams, and I would shake his arm like a maniac while having these daydreams. It got so bad that I accidentally ripped off his arm at one point and had my mother sow it back together.

I'm a 20-year old male now and I still have these fantasies and daydreams, and they haven't lessened at all. I did some research and apparently it's called "Maladaptive Daydreaming Disorder" and most likely stems from childhood trauma. I also suffer from major depressive disorder and social anxiety disorder.

Does anyone else here experience this on a day-to-day basis? How do I go about quitting it? It's such an addiction to be able to escape this reality and enter another one; it really interferes with my life.

Picture related.
>>
>>27994384
Do you have to assign a disorder to it? I did the same thing, though I don't think I violently shook things while in a daze.

It was comfy. I was a small-town girl living in a desolate oceanside community, a Chinese general constantly warring, a full-time space colonizer, or basically an anything that wasn't actually me. Some were more mundane than others. Maybe you had it worse than me, but I could essentially shut each individual daydream like a book and resume later on, though I built on these daily and they lasted for months to years at a time. I didn't have a lot of friends either, and the daydreaming really interfered with my daily life. I never took notes in class, rarely did homework, and spent several hours in bed "dedicated" to these fantasies.

Honestly, I was at my happiest during this time. It felt like a part of me was alive and thriving, even if it wasn't real. I was always somewhere else, always doing something, always talking to someone.

I'm also 20, though my daydreams disappeared sometime after I started university. I don't really think anymore. Honestly, I have no idea what even goes on in my head. It feels kind of empty in there.
>>
>>27994384
Wish I could help. My ex used to have it and her brother had it to some degree while we were together.
>>
>>27994384

I do.

To this day. Though I consider it a coping mechanism, and not a disorder.
>>
>>27994521
It sounds like we have the same thing. Do you want to be friends?
>>
>>27994542
I'm this dude. Afaik she was able to quit cold turkey. Could you use it to write a novel maybe? That could be playing with fire though. I wish you the best of luck OP
>>
>>27994542
It's a pain in the ass. I'll get triggered by anything--music, video games, movies, TV shows, etc.

I honestly think I have higher spatial intelligence than the average person because of this.
>>
>>27994556
Sure, I'd like to be friends. Maybe I can help you out of the daydreaming.

>>27994549
I agree with this. I didn't have a terrible childhood, though it was littered with generic parental abuse and shyness so I often resorted to my imagination to keep me company and it sort of took off from there.
>>
>>27994384
i don't know if it's making you clinically retarded or you have other problems, but for me it's pretty easy to deal with and i'm 25, married, and have a good career.

i have two worlds that i enter randomly any time that i am alone in a room or falling asleep, one where i'm a mafia crime lord sort of like kaizer soze except my goals are to get rid of total degenerates in the crime world, and in the other world i'm literally fantasizing about being a half-god that finds a way to another planet where the original gods migrated to thousands of years ago.

i also had a world until i was 18 that i fantasized about with the aid of legos. i had an entire storyling that spanned a dozen generations of characters partly inspired by final fantasy and partly by star wars.

btw i don't believe in anything spiritual or anything but i imagine its something similar to what spiritual people experience, just in a more directed way i guess. i'm a scientist so i can't really buy into the concept.

bringing reality to the forefront is pretty straight forward because i take on responsibilities and there are consequences to ignoring them. being with people still feels better than shadowboxing an armored knight who breathes fire. i guess if i was really hopeless and broken like maybe you, i'd do drugs to enhance the experience and live on the streets.
>>
>>27994640
Cool. Maybe you can help distract me when I'm daydreaming, aha. What's your Kik?
>>
>>27994752
Sorry, I don't have a Kik. I actually don't have a phone right now, anyway. The one I just bought is hopefully coming this Friday if Fed-Ex is accurate.
>>
its on on of the few left things that keep me sane, though my sanity is already hanging by a thread.
>>
Yea that sounds like a real fucking problem anon

I wish I could fucking enter a k hole whenever I wanted anon keep dreaming
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.