[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The romantic lie
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7
File: 9442.jpg (18 KB, 400x288) Image search: [Google]
9442.jpg
18 KB, 400x288
Have you ever spent more time analyzing the content of our books, games, movies regarding the gender roles? More specifically, have you ever noticed how 99% of the movies have a very similar plot to this:

There's a guy who's weak, depressed, poor, dumb, a nerd... just useless and invisible. Then there's this hot, smart, popular girl this guy has an eye for, who's just not interested in the guy.

The plot then has the guy seemingly evolve as a person to become a better man, someone worth loving. He learnes, becomes wiser, stronger, richer, better, and always beats other guys in the process, basically proving he's the top dog.

Meanwhile the girl develops as a person too, and starts to have feelings for the man. Eventually, when the man is at the height of his power, the girl admits her love, and they live happily ever after.

Every single story from children's books, action movies, fantasy flicks, drama, comedy, practically *EVERYTHING* revolves around the same basic idea. You do see the underlying message, right? It's not a story of character development or love. Every single damn story we have, every goddamn movie, is disguised as such, and yet the real message in every one of them is essentially this:

Guy is beta, girls don't see him. Guy fights his way through incredible shit and becomes an alpha, girls suddenly want him. The girl is totally useless throughout, and doesn't even know the concept of love. She just fell for the power, the alpha. Meanwhile, the guy does ALL the work in the movie, to eventually get a shallow bitch who clearly thinks what she feels is love, when really all she sees is the guy's gleaming CV, power, and influence. Every. Single. Time.

I swear, keep your eyes open. You'll notice there's hardly a movie without this. Then you wonder why things are as fucked up as they are, when this is what constitutes our learning material. The romance we were raised on, is literally a lie.

Discuss.
>>
File: file.png (99 KB, 1830x1572) Image search: [Google]
file.png
99 KB, 1830x1572
It's called the hero cycle. You learn this in middle school. You aren't deep, OP
>>
>>27976670
Note that the story can be any version of that. You know one variation I'm sure: The guy's divorced and miserable, possibly alcoholic. Until something happens, and he starts kicking ass and becomes the hero. Suddenly, just by sheer coincidence, the wife learns to "love" him again.

I mean, either this is a coincidence, or there's a connection. Look at Daisy Duck ffs, a children's comic book which features the most slutty, material, dishonest and unbalanced female character imaginable. And she's the definitive, attractive prom queen of the story, the one every girl should strive for, and every guy wants to have.

How fucked up is that?
>>
>>27976710
cool pic
>>
>>27976710
It's not the cycle, it's the role of love in this. The role of attraction. The fact that it's such a big fucking lie. People don't fall for personalities, they don't care about you. They always care *only* about your power. Your stuff... whether your stuff is material, intellectual, or political.

Love, as we're taught to believe in it, is a flat out lie. A pretty word to describe a very simple, ugly and animal mentality that exists to guarantee that the strongest survive.
>>
>>27976670

Ok dude let me break this down to you:

LIFE is unfair.
WORLD is harsh.

SOCIETY is a bunch of lies,to prevent most of us to see the horror of the void.

You are a MAN, and as you grow up you will be the one keeping up all this shit.

It's not about "fairiness" or right or privilege, is just that simple:

If men don't do this then there is nothing.
So yes, let all the propaganda vanish and then you will see, it's quite simple.
Feminist scream and shout because deep down they got it.
Romance is the ability of a man to FAKE that everithing is carrefree,easy and fine for the sake of a loved one. Your's the bourden of life.
>>
>>27976670
FFS, read more.
Romance novels are rather different - in them the man is typically tall, handsome, intelligent, etc. and the *woman* must develop to win *his* love, etc.
In many SF novels with romance the hero is actually extremely confident/skilled/etc. and must overcome outside obstacles. This is often true in fantasy literature, as well.
Your problem is you don't read enough or watch enough.

>>27976752
>Daisy Duck
Sweet mercy.
Those comics are based on DOnald Duck comics where the humor and tension derive from the fact that Donald is a terrible person. The *point* of Donald and Daisy Duck comics is they suck as people.
Man, take at least a comparative lit course before you yap about this.
>>
File: gal.jpg (67 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
gal.jpg
67 KB, 720x960
>>27976824
She didn't text you back, huh?
Buck up, ed - 11th grade will be better
>>
>>27976824
yes, this is pretty sad, but after all everybody is a separate mortal organism driven by brain chemicals, so it is understandable
>>
>>27976670
>99% of the movies have a very similar plot to this
Not really bro. My favorite director is Nolan, and none of his movies have a plot like that at all.
Dark Knight trilogy, Bruce Wayne is a billionaire playboy,
Prestige, Angier is already married, Borden fucks his stage assistant.
Memento, the protagonist is a widow. He doesn't find a new lover.
Insomnia, can't remember anything about romance.
Inception, Dicaprio has a crazy ex in Limbo.
Interstellar is more about family love than anything, but I think there's a romance subplot as well (can't remember), but either way the protagonist is a frigging astronaut, alpha as fuck.
>>
>>27976824
>People don't fall for personalities
So - you never leave your room?
>>
>>27976670
The reason he's better isn't because he's a male but because he worked hard. The carrot that guided his actions was female-determined, intersexual relationships. This is good for society.

Where is the lie in all this?
>>
>>27976863
Oooh it's way worse than that. And I'm *way* past 11:th grade, whatever that is.

>>27977255
Every day. I probably make a lot more money than you do, considering my wage is almost double the average in my country. But being successful in work doesn't guarantee any success in relationships, I've found.

I'm balancing between emotional angst and just plain acceptance. Being over 3 decades old and never having seen or experienced a shred of love can do that to you. I don't pretend I'm all ok up in the head, who the fuck would be after this shit.

Mainly I just made the topic to see how many others agreed. I just realised what I said there like some 5 years back and it's only become more depressing since then. It's not easy being completely disillusioned in a world that insists on emotions that don't exist. Not in my reality anyway. :)

But, you know: whatever. Guess I've done my opening up for today. Nobody gives a flying fuck, me mostly included.

/rant
>>
File: 1454561732339.jpg (6 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
1454561732339.jpg
6 KB, 259x194
>>27976670
>eventually get a shallow bitch who clearly thinks what she feels is love

You need to give examples so we aren't just working around with vague concepts here.

Maybe I can provide some counter examples using popular movies? In Beauty and the Beast the audience is somewhat taught that even a beast can make a woman fall in love with him if he shows kindness and compassion. In Aladdin, Jasmine didn't really care for the "Prince" and only fell in love with him after she realized it was the same old poor boy she meet in the slums when she ran away.

As for falling in love with a person after they improved themselves, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. How is it dishonest to see a person's efforts to improve themselves and admire that? Should we all just completely drop our standards and fuck the nearest hobo since that's what "true love" is?

The one part I will agree with is that the woman hardly lifts a finger to improve herself or do anything in these romance movies. But usually it's implied that she's already a well rounded person and has an active social life/interesting hobbies. If she's nothing more than pretty then yeah, the media is giving us a fucked up message.
>>
>>27976916
>his favourite director is nolan
Wew.
>>
>>27976710
/thread right here. Do people not learn about literary archetypes in middle/high school?
>>
Any movies deal with the idea that love doesn't exist and is entirely an illusion?
>>
File: freaks.jpg (36 KB, 568x318) Image search: [Google]
freaks.jpg
36 KB, 568x318
>>27976670
Swords and Sorcery genre
>Man is one of the most skilled, competent men in the world; woman is skilled, smart, tough, and beautiful; must overcome outside obstacles. Examples: Conan and Belit
Planetary Romance
>Man is tough, skilled, smart, and often powerful; woman is not just beautiful but also skilled, tough, and usually a fighter; must overcome outside obstacles. Examples: John Carter and Dejah Thoris
Pulps
>Man is skilled, one of the most skilled, tough, competent men on earth; woman is tough, smart, and skilled; must overcome outside threats. Examples: The Shadow and Margot Lane
Westerns
>The man is tough, loyal, honorable, and dependable and very competent; the woman is also of the frontier and skilled with weapons as well as farming; they must overcome outside obstacles. Examples: Tell Sackett and Ange Kerry
Space Opera
>The men are incredibly intelligent and well-educated as well as tough and competent; the women are likewise tough, smart, and competent; they must overcome outside obstacles. Examples: Dick Seaton and Dorothy Vaneman
That is from 4 of the genres of popular literature most read by men from the last, oh, Century!

Sounds like you don't know a thing about even pop lit.
>>
File: model and dude.jpg (58 KB, 560x409) Image search: [Google]
model and dude.jpg
58 KB, 560x409
>>27977446
>I probably make a lot more money than you do
Well, there is your problem.
You are a shallow, narcissistic dolt.
>It is all about power, blah, blah
Sometimes a man can land a woman who is gorgeous, rich, and famous even when he isn't.
>pic related
>>
>>27976670
The most useful redpill anyone could ever swallow is that life is not a movie.

That should be common sense, but there's still people who think they will somehow get their happy ending.
>>
>>27976710
Arguably if you come to this conclusion independent of school you have some decent deduction skills.
>>
>>27977599
>Insults with a one-liner going "So - you never leave your room?"
>I prove I do, that I work my ass off.
> Goes "Well, there is your problem. You are a shallow, narcissistic dolt."
Ok, so you're a troll and an asshole, and an equal 101% of both. Well I'm glad we got that covered, won't be wasting any more of my time with you.

>>27977468
Yeah fuck, this is actually a well thought out response. I don't remember those movies to well and didn't prepare any of my own, so I'll just have to take your word for it. But I will say that even if that's the case, they are the exceptions.

And true, there's nothing wrong with the connection between a person improving themselves and getting admired more as a result. It's just that the correlation is too strong and too common.

Also, while occasionally it can be argued that the woman is already a well rounded person, it seems far more typical to me that the woman is a rude, selfish bitch who treats the guy in such a way that if it was the guy treating the woman like that, it would have feminists around the globe roaring in anger. And despite this, despite this woman acting like an asshole, dismissing and insulting the poor guy since day one, he still wants her. And then she just suddenly up and becomes a "good person" when the guy becomes rich and powerful?

That's even more blatantly disgustingly transparent than the original example.
>>
Quit over analyzing shit, socialize, improve in areas you want to get better at in life and pay taxes.

Pussy is just part of the game. It's not the main objective.
>>
File: better-off-dead.jpg (142 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
better-off-dead.jpg
142 KB, 1600x900
>>27978081
>And despite this, despite this woman acting like an asshole, dismissing and insulting the poor guy since day one, he still wants her

In the popular 1980s movie "Better Off Dead" with John Cusack he impresses the "Stacy" but ends up preferring the awkward foreign french girl who helped him in his journey to improve himself. I highly suggest you watch it, it's a funny film.

I'd say it's a bigger trope for the guy to REJECT the FAKE STACY who didn't love him originally. Usually he ends up with the girl who loved him from the beginning and helped him improve.

I know you're going to say that the movies I'm giving are nothing more than exceptions, but unless we list out every single movie and analyze every single one there's no way to really determine. It's a pointless pursuit to ask what "message" is given out by ALL movies.

Also, there are examples where women play a more active role in the story. Think about Tangled, or the Princess Bride. Hell, isn't the Little Mermaid basically about a GIRL going through self improvement to impress a Chad?

The message a movie gives you depends on how you interpret it. Maybe stop looking at the wrong movies?
>>
>>27978479
You know I'm just gonna come off and say I was pissed off and angry, and wanted to be proven wrong. You delivered. Well, at least you delivered close enough.

So thanks, really. :) I feel a lot less like shit right now so I'm not really up for more venting anymore. Have a nice day, sir.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.