[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>work in a grocery store >treat customers well >tell
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
File: 00.jpg (56 KB, 285x298) Image search: [Google]
00.jpg
56 KB, 285x298
>work in a grocery store
>treat customers well
>tell customers have a nice day
>they don't even respond with a "y-you too"
>mood slightly ruined
>after enough customers are rude my entire day is fucked and I can't put up anymore with shit customers
>no longer ask them how they're doing or tell them have a nice day unless they initiate conversation

I thought wageslavery wasn't so bad but after a little bit of a month I want to kill myself.
>>
I went from working in a convenience store to working in a grocery store. When I was at the convenience store, it was actually really nice. The people were really casual, laid back, varied, generally wanted to make small talk, and responded really well to being treated well. Some of them would even mention how happy they were to see me when they came in.

At the grocery store, 95% of the customers are a bunch of middle-aged, middle-class assholes who all ready to throw a tantrum even a 5-year-old would find a bit much the moment the slightest thing doesn't go their way. The homeless drunks I basically babysat at the convenience store were an order of magnitude more tolerable than these people.

I still go out of my way for the few customers who are actually nice, understanding, and patient, though. There's this one woman in her 50s who comes in who loves to talk to me who always makes my day a little better.
>>
I've noticed that almost all skinny males that work in service are extremely polite and usually good at their job, while almost all fat chicks are very rude and have a bad attitude, while sometimes being incompetent and messing up my order.

On topic, I always say "thanks" when they say "have a nice day."
>>
It's soul crushing. I don't know why the workers put up with it. I wish they would all just quit, or go on strike all at once, so that corporations would be forced to go back on their "the customer is always right" attitude. These workers shouldn't have to bend over backwards to appease a bunch of angry, ignorant retards while working on minimum (or close to minimum) wage.

I worked at a grocery store in Texas, and we were forced to offer "carry outs" to the customer, which means taking their groceries to their car and loading it for them. We weren't even allowed to accept tips if they were offered.
>>
Can this be work green text thread?
>working drive thru in establishment of speedy grease
>car comes through, beat up old sedan with two white trash adults in the front, passenger (guy) smoking
>in the back is a girl, no older than five, with no car seat
>glance at the back seat for a moment, thinking that they're pieces of shit, then proceed to take their order
>after order is paid for, they ask if there's something wrong
>wut
>"what were you looking in the back seat like that for, you got a problem?"
>tell them it's nothing
>they press the issue
>fuck it
>tell them that I think that their child should be in a car seat
>"I think you should stick to your job"
>"yeah? I don't think you should ask a question if you don't want to hear the damn answer"
>tell me they'll tell my boss
>give no fucks, literally yell from my window to my boss that these people want to talk to her
>this confuses them
>walk down, tell boss what happened
>she tells customer that she'll tell me off about it, then does nothing

Meh

I'm not sure if I should be glad she didn't get me in shit or annoyed that she's spineless. Probably both.
>>
>>24103572

She wants the D give it to her.
>>
File: o.jpg (81 KB, 1600x1071) Image search: [Google]
o.jpg
81 KB, 1600x1071
>>24102064
I don't think there's anything worst than being blatantly ignored by a customer when you're trying to help them out.

I guess once people have already got their things together and are ready to leave, they turn their hearing off to wage slaves.
>>
>>24104834
Car seats aren't that much safer than a seatbelt, especially for a girl who's 5.
>>
>>24103634
wer did comon courtesy go? y r ppl no longer polite n kind? wer did tru n real meaningful smiles go? idk but now the world is rlly pissed n gloomy. nobody has time 2 help ur neighbor. ppl r assholes now
>>
>>24102064
>Hey, good morning!
>...
>O-ok...

I don't blame sales associates for beings dicks sometimes.
>>
>>24103634

Yeah. Going into unions to ensure better work environments and pay would be a grand idea.

But you wouldn't want to be leftist, commie scum, no?

Keep slaving then. You'll make it big one day.
>>
>>24102064
you'r like a mormon kid who want's to kill himself because he cant convert people, chill out man
>>
>>24102064
Ridiculous. If I were a wagekek, I wouldn't give two fucks if a customer responds to my mandatory politeness in any way.

If you care it means you're a fucking normie that's used to people being nice to them, and should get the fuck out of my board.
>>
>>24104834
She's not spineless you dork. She was on your side, she just said that to save face.
>>
>>24104855

I actually bet I could. She's called me really handsome, asked if I'm married, etc. She's really skittish too, which I find adorable. I'm definitely open to it.
>>
i always say 'thank you very much' and 'you too' when they say have a nice day, although sometimes i feel like 'you too' seems mocking because they're at work. anyway, i can't make conversation like some people so i just do my best by smiling and being friendly.

i think everyone should try to make people's lives easier. the other day i went out for lunch while on jury service and wanted to go back inside because it was raining, and when i asked the security guard if i could come in alone i said not to worry if i couldn't. i think he appreciated that and let me in. some people would just have a tantrum.
>>
>try to be as nice as possible to wageslaves
>ask them how they are doing today
>always refer to them as sir or ma'am unless they are younger than me
>try to politely end the conversation
>"take care"
>"have a nice day"
>"y-you too"
>feels like they all loathe me and want me to eat shit

am I doing it wrong or something? how do I cheer up wageslaves?
>>
File: washing_hands.jpg (15 KB, 233x245) Image search: [Google]
washing_hands.jpg
15 KB, 233x245
>>24104987
I do my work well and I like to be acknowledged for it. When I bag somebody's groceries, I do it the most proper way and very few people ever seem to notice. I'm not kind because I have to, I'm just a nice person deep down inside.

>that's used to people being nice to them
I have no friends and am what you would consider legitimately ugly. I'm not really used to friendly service but I do expect it back when I treat somebody well.

>>24105059
Just tell them to have a nice day.

Some people just feel they are too good for themselves and will not appreciate it regardless.
>>
>>24105037
>'you too' seems mocking because they're at work
It's usually not. Don't look to into it.

>>24105059
I only feel like that when the give me attitude. Or just give me a condescending look.
>>
>>24102064
Don't feel so bad, anon.To be honest i don't even look at the greeters, not out disrepect, but because it just feels so awkward for me greeting a greeter and the rest are just assholes. I've even been called an asshole for it, but I'm just socially retarded.
>>
>>24104898
She was AT MOST five. Probably four. And in a shitty old car like that it's much safer to be in a proper seat, the belt will not work properly because it sits too high and the waist belt can fuck your organs up. Kids should be 8 to 10 before they drop the seat. Educate yourself.

>>24105002
I know for a fact that she is spineless from previous experience. She's a total cunt who tries to treat people like shit, but nobody with any experience and half a set of balls actually lets her. She didn't do anything because she knew I would tell her to get stuffed because I live somewhere with actual decent labour laws.
>>
>>24105091
>ugly
There's your problem, Igor.

Nobody wants to risk being seen fraternizing with an ugly person, or doing anything that might create the impression they do.
>>
>>24102064
welcome to retail man. I did that shit for nearly a year until I literally snapped and developed an anxiety disorder. It's the most empty, soul-sucking job possible.
>>
>>24103572
The convenience store I go to has grumpy lotto addicts.

Maybe it was because you are white or something.

I can only imagine being a poor white middle aged lotto addict and handing over cash to Sanjay every day.
>>
>>24105333
It's not an addiction, it's my last hope for an actual life, you normie scumlord.
>>
>>24105333

Oh God, we had so many lotto addicts. They'd stand there buying and scratching tickets for over 30 minutes at a time, holding up the line trying to decide what to buy next, not letting me get other shit done because I had to keep an eye on them. I used to feel really bad for them and even guilty for being a party to it, but eventually the frustration dealing with them caused me made me lose sympathy for them.

>Maybe it was because you are white or something.

There were a fair number of customers who actually explicitly told me so.
>>
>>24104834
>assistant manager cant make it to work
>they call me and I can cover their shift
>This means 11 hours shift for me (3 hours of overtime)
>get call back an hour or so later
>Our manager (she works in the office) split the shift I offered to cover with shift prior to it, meaning I get one hour less overtime.
>they save like $5 by doing this ($10 for the hour instead of $15), but I lose $15.
>really felt like telling them I forgot about something and couldnt cover the shift. Felt pretty burned and used.
>>
>>24105177
>because I live somewhere with actual decent labour laws.

The store I work at is union-owned. That doesn't help with the customers, but it does mean my boss can try to call me in and I can either ignore it or outright say: "No, I don't want to". I'm also entitled to at least one day off each week.
>>
>>24102064
I get exactly this. After a while it feels like being nice is just the burned you are carrying for the other person because they are not. Often people choose to communicate with a series of grunts or seem totally oblivious to the things that would make the transaction easier for the both of you.

Sometimes I look at the rude guy who grunts, doesn't say anything, doesn't say thank you, and think I bet he goes home to a family and smiles and tells them he loves them and they think he's great. Well is he great if he doesn't give a fuck about 90% of the rest of the population? We're all out here doing something we don't want to - weather its work or buy shit being a grumpy faggot helps no one. I could be having the worst day of my life but if I had to go buy something I'd fake a smile and say please and thank you.
>>
>>24103617
As a grocery store cashier I noticed a few things

>most of your customers will be women
>none of them are attractive, or if they are they have kids
>if you're a young male women will hit on you regardless of what you look like (my mom attributes this to all the TV shows about cougars)
>women cannot talk to other women about cooking unless the cashier is less attractive than the customer or else it results in one-upmanship or "why do you care what I'm eating? Are you calling me fat? Can I speak to the manager?!"
>women love it when a man asks her about cooking unless the woman is African
>Africans can't cook and 50% of their grocery bill is canned tomatoes
>women suck at cooking and don't know how to cook anything that isn't boiled, fried, or microwaved, but the men who do are fucking masters
>female cashiers can get away with anything when talking to a man, but the women are competitive bitches and it's best to just not say anything at all or ask about their kids
>men can get away with saying anything as long as they say it tactfully and don't talk to bitchy black women
>white women are terrible employees but black/Mexican women with kids will work hard
>literally nobody cares if you only speak when spoken to (unless you're female), but you should always throw in a "have a nice day" that sounds sincere at the end, whether you mean it or not

Women have expectations for each other and those expectations include always being polite, pretending to care what the other says, making an attempt at conversation, not cutting the conversation short because you have something to do, yet not discussing certain topics unless you know each other well, etc. Men don't expect anything from women unless they say "you should smile more" that feminists bitch about.

The supposed patriarchy is a pebble compared to the monolith of things women want each other to do and working in a grocery store as a woman is shit. Most customers are women, and women fucking hate each other.
>>
>>24105512
It helps with the customers here by proxy I guess. It's a bit harder to enforce "the customer is always right, now bend over" when people have more rights as employees, since you can stand up for yourself a little and not be fired without good reason.

I was in a union at the time though (have since changed to a much better job) and they worked very hard to improve things for us. They pushed for a pay rise, organised strikes and protests when people were being treated poorly, stepped in when people were having over time waivers signed for them (they got rid of the waivers in bargaining for that reason) and even managed to get rid of zero hour contracts, and for about two dollars a week too. Pretty cheap price to pay for all that as well as knowing they'll go in to bat for you if shit hits the fan.
>>
>>24105059
>>ask them how they are doing today
Thats not being nice, thats being annoying
>>
Remember to always say "sorry about the weight" to fat customers. Laugh at them later when for thinking you meant wait.
>>
>>24102064
That's because I don't give a fuck about you

People who work retail are subhuman losers

They deserve to be treated like shit because they literally are shit

Kill yourself
>>
>50% of the people who talk to you will try to talk about the weather
Holy shit, yes, I know that just like the last 150 customers I've had today, you think the weather sucks, suck my fucking balls
>raining/cold, every customer will bring 93/7 ground beef, a few canned tomatoes, and a can of fucking baked beans and say "this is chili weather" with a smug little grin on their face
>every
>single
>one
Bitches don't even know how to cook and think they're so fucking cool because they're making diarrhea that takes no effort and you can put literally anything in, and they're still using the same damn ingredients as everyone else
I wish I worked at a fucking liquor store where you're specifically told "don't ask the customers how they're doing because they will tell you and you don't want to know"
>>
>not making small talk is rude
Or maybe I just have Social Anxiety?

What a normie
>>
>>24102064
This is so relatable, although I usually ask people "Hi, how are you?" cause it feels more awkward saying nothing. Some customers are really friendly and it makes my day so much better. But one of the things that aggrevates me most are the middle aged women who get agro that I didn't scan their rewards card (which they hand to me after paying when I can no longer use it) because I didn't ask them for it cause they wouldn't get points anyway.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.