[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Helping with anything related to programming
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 3
File: P5DK6lI.png (143 KB, 423x602) Image search: [Google]
P5DK6lI.png
143 KB, 423x602
Bored and lonely here.

Will teach anyone how to code and tutor for free (no bully).

If anyone needs help with a specific project or task, then you contact me too.
Will spoonfeed/discuss/advise.

Send your Skype/Steam/whatever to
[email protected]
>>
>>27865944
Can you teach me how to enjoy programming again?

I used to love it, lost all interest in it last year though. A friend of mine hooked on heroin, and it made me so depressed that life and all it contains completely lost their point. I hate code now.

What do?
>>
>>27866110
I used to have periods where I'd completely lose interest as well.

Don't have a real solution to this, but I suppose trying to find projects to contribute to (something you would actually want to see done) will spark your interest and motivation.

Sometimes if I'm playing a game with high modding potential (GMod, Paradox Games, STALKER, WoW Private Servers) I sometimes get ideas about doing something really unique and innovative and try to implement it. Some support group/community is necessary and will keep you going and perhaps you'll meet someone nice to talk to. In server-based games you also get full admin access which is nice because everyone wants to be the developer's friend.

Other than that, I try to hone my skills in areas I have an innate interest in (reversing, hacking) and do something once in a while to prove that I'm not a complete loser and gain a feeling of self-satisfaction for a brief moment.

Hope I helped.
>>
>>27865944
Would you teach me how to program anon ?
>>
will you love me anon?
>>
I'm just now building my pc and I really want to learn software/Coding where should I go to learn
>>
>>27866285
I will!

>>27866330
I'll t-try...

>>27866389
Start by finding a language you'd like to learn and go from there.
>>
>>27865944
Can you code in C++?
>>
>>27866464
Yup. My main language, actually.
>>
What's your steam OP?

Originalcomment
>>
>>27866517
Send me yours to the mail in OP.
>>
>>27865944
Are you a Web dev by any chance op
>>
File: 1451169909955.jpg (111 KB, 802x1000) Image search: [Google]
1451169909955.jpg
111 KB, 802x1000
>>27865944

You're a cool cat, OP. Programming is something I've wanted to learn for ages now.. Just never got around to it. I'd email you but my lack of will and laziness might piss you off so I'll refrain from doing so.
>>
can you teach me how to make myself a normie using any programming language?
>>
Do you know anything about html flex boxes?
>>
>>27866430
I sent you a mail senpie
>>
>>27865944
Can you teach me how to make a game_
>>
Did you learn in college OP? I took a few cs courses and it never quite captured my interest. I dont know if it's just boring to me or how it's taught there.
>>
>>27865944
Skype sent please reply
>>
>>27865944
I've been trying to build a rhythm game, would you be able to help?
>>
>always post email in threads asking for help
>2 people have bitten so far
>OP posts thread
>all these responses
I don't know why.

How experienced are you OP?
>>
>>27866664
Unfortunately I know nothing about web stuff except for the basics like html/php/css/mysql.

>>27866693
Thanks. As you can imagine I also suffer from severe depression and procastination, so I'm not unfamiliar with that at all. Feel free to message me if you want help with those things, although I'm not a psychologist.

>>27866699
If anything I became even more embittered from learning a skill that attracts lonely nerds like myself. If your goal is to become a normie, then try JavaScript/Android programming, as that's where the normiedom is really at these days. The demand for them is also the highest and it shouldn't be too difficult to find a job, even if you lack a degree or a large portfolio.

>>27866804
No clue senpai, sorry. I personally find web development to be rather more of a design thing, which doesn't interest me as I'm a fuck-up of an artist.

>>27866858
Sure! What kind of game is it?

>>27866875
I'm going to in uni. Looked through the semester material. Nothing looks hard or incomprehensible. I'm not looking forward to it though because I'd much rather sit at home and code whatever I want instead of having to do shitty team projects with Chad and Stacy who got in purely due to affirmative action.

Unfortunately a lot of employers require you to have a degree.

>>27866829
>>27866898
Will reply shortly.

>>27866921
I'll give my best. What's the issue?

>>27867043
Began TRYING to learn in 4th grade. Miserably failed a lot, and I haven't done it consistently. However, a lot of things stuck over the years and I can grasp new concepts pretty easily compared to before.

I'm pretty solid when it comes to programming, though, and should I be given some problem I'm fairly sure I could solve it if I'm given plenty of time.

The fact that I'm a perfectionist hindered my progress a lot, though. Never been happy with my work.
>>
Can you offer your take on P vs NP?
>>
>>27867180
I want to make a game about a castle. You're suppose to walk around the castle and fix the mess the King made.
>>
>>27867180
I wanted to prototype the rhythm game in javafx then copy most of the code and make it and android app. My biggest issues are playing the song for the rhythm game so every note is on time, and a system for making maps. I was thinking of making a file extension and trying to make a map editor in java. But I'm clueless as to how I would make a file with the mapping for the rhythm game and have it be understood.
>>
>>27865944

Help me into machine code.
>>
>>27866430
>>27867180
I have an entire game designed on paper. Multiple games actually. Solid business plan. Art done and more offers for help on art and writing. Literally everything except programmers. This is a big long term project. First game would pay a % of profits. After that would be salary. You up for something like this?
>>
>>27865944
I'm writing nmap parser in Python. I have no prior knowledge of programming. I've made this by reading python 2 documentation.

http://hastebin.com/vawacijata.py

It's not done yet obviously.

I need to finish email class and an email template generated with Jinja.

Any tips?
>>
>>27867369

I can do your music senpai.
>>
>>27867180
>Never been happy with my work.
Me too.
I've decided to judge by more objective measures.
Like how far does this thing I've made fulfill my original goals for instance.

But it's kinda limited because every project I do have so many additional things I'd like it to do I don't catch those in my objective measures and it makes me underestimate what I've accomplished.

>>27867279
Not op but I find the question to be a lot less about programming and more about CS and math in general. But yeah it's pretty stupid for most people to bother with it. Too hard.
Personally I just assume not all problems can be solved in polynomial time. Many problems which by their nature require some sort of recursion are just really nasty and it's extremely hard to imagine them being solvable in polynomialtime.
>>
>>27867441
>>27867441
Post something you made. I already have that too but you could collaborate, do separate parts, different games. Anything. I literally have years worth of work to do and am missing a few key components of the plan. Most notably programmers.
>>
>>27865944
I'm a NEET for the last 5 years. I used to be a programmer myself but I kinda lost the love for it due to shitty job and family problems.

Also when I flipped and gave up on everything I was going to get my masters in CS not that it matters nowadays anyway.

The thing is I want you to give me a reason to come back, rekindle my love for that shit and also get a job.
Thanks in advance and if you need more info I can write it too.
>>
Is this something I should learn? Should I seriously dedicate a lot of time to it? My life is going nowhere and I am not even in uni or anything

Is this a good way to start a career? I really need something..

I'm also shit at math and probably chronically dumb
>>
>>27867180
You forgot about me anon :[
>>
>>27867804
If you aren't doing anything anyways; you might as well give it a shot, even if you're bad at math. I was too until I got into CS.
>>
>>27867497

drop me a throwaway email, I'm away from home right now.
>>
>>27867497
Not him but I'm hijacking this conversation
https://soundcloud.com/asavary/orchestral-demo2
https://soundcloud.com/asavary/electrodemo2
https://soundcloud.com/asavary/banddemo2
Feel free to send me a message if your projets go any further
>>
>>27868120
[email protected]
>>
i can already program

my problem is no motivation and constant procrastination
>>
>>27867804
Self taught people do get careers. I'm not sure how common it is.
>probably chronically dumb
Doubt it. Very few people are actually dumb. Most people just don't ask questions.

Regardless it can be useful to learn even if you're not gonna have it as a job. It can make many tasks easier.
>>
>>27868050
How do I start? Can it give me reasonable hope of getting a job?
>>
>>27868175
thanks
how do I get started?
>>
>>27868146
These are good.
See email here >>27868158
How did you make these? I mean I'm assuming you don't have access to an orchestra.
>>
>>27868213
Depends on what you want to learn.
http://www.sitepoint.com/best-programming-language-learn-2015-job-demand-salaries/
Would suggest Java.
It's an OK choice but honestly I thik learning C is better as a first language. Java probably confuses most newbies necessarily. C is incredibly small and gives you a good base to stand on.
I could tutor you personally if you want.
[email protected]
Know both languages. C I'm good at and Java I'm intermediate maybe.
>>
>>27868286
Thanks, I'll send you a message in a minute
I use vst (virtual studio technology) instruments. Software based on samples linked to a MIDI keyboard, basically.
>>
>>27868182
There are a whole bunch of websites that teach code; and a hell of a lot of books that can teach you the nuances and capabilities of any given language. And, as far as careers go, I can't really promise you anything salary wise; but contract work is almost always available.
>>
What are your feelings towards our Lord and Savior, C#?
>>
>>27868297
thanks I don't really know about the languages at all or even so much tech but from what I know I feel like the C languages are the strongest so to speak so probably those
also it kind of seems like the java thing is going to bubble

I appreciate the offer of tutoring but I'm extremely inconsistent
may I ask why you are offering to tutor 4channers for free?

>>27868394
I'm not a high shooter really, anything that can help me move out and not have to stress about money in a small apartment is fine for now
>>
>>27868461
>may I ask why you are offering to tutor 4channers for free?
Because i have nothing to do and I've found I like it. I'm also NEET and have social phobia. So I'm working on being good at talking to people.
>C languages are the strongest
Yes but there's difference in culture surrounding them. C/C++ is very performance oriented in places. I think a good chunk of those jobs presented in the link wouldn't be available to a new programmer. But my mom is a software developer using C. They're doing embedded programming so performance requirements are only a factor in places like a DSP (Digital signal processor).
>Java is going to bubble
Lol how would you know. I agree, it's likely to bubble at some point but that's not the kind of bubble you should be concerned about. Right now there's android programming for instance. That's gonna stick around for quite a while. There's very large investment into Java developers. I'm thinking it might take maybe 10 years for anything to top Java.
>>
>>27868615
OP see >>27867369
>>
>>27868461
not OP. Actually what a bad advice from OP, shit.
Do learn C, because you pretty much need to learn C to understand how computers do their shit.
But don't stick to C and Java. There is a shitload of different language styles to stick to just one of them, the most restrictive at that.
Here's a little outline of the families of languages out there: ML, LISP, Prolog, Smalltalk. Their modern descendants would be Ruby, Haskell, and Racket (though Common Lisp is, so to say, timeless). Perl6 should be ready to use soon, I personally like that one a lot and it draws from several languages at once.
And there are many more, there are stream oriented languages and such.
If you hope to be a programmer, you should be aware of this, whatever language you choose to learn first and whatever paradigm you choose to stick to, you must learn the different approaches of all these languages or you'll be doomed to write FORTRAN in every language for years to come, not leveraging the facilities of other languages
>>
>>27868615
I see
>Lol how would you know
kek I dunno, just a gut feeling
seems like programming is becoming bigger and more popular and I think I read about computer science degrees bubbling so it just seems like java is the most normie tier of them

>>27868667
so start to learn C and then move on to others when I get basics?
what did you do?
>>
>>27867402
>mfw no one gives me tips.
>>
>>27868667
Nobody was saying "stick to X". Regardless recommending Haskell and Racket I find is just deceptive. Perl is cool, Ruby is cool. But I don't see any motivation for why he shouldn't go for Java. If he learns C he will have to (not really but assuming the goal is employment) learn OOP if he's gonna so Ruby. Sure, he can go straight into ruby too but I'm not sure what the job market is like. Ruby on rails was a pretty hip thing in 2012 I think. Not sure how it is now.
>>27868654
>OP
Not OP.
>Literally everything except programmers. This is a big long term project. First game would pay a % of profits. After that would be salary. You up for something like this?
Anon I'd like to have a look at the game. I can definitively not promise anything. The % of profits deal isn't exactly a tantalizing offer. Sure, imagine if you got a percentage of Minecraft. That's great. But most games aren't like that. And it's not like a % of profit offer is rare either. It's pretty much what every single aspiring game designer is offering. Hardly anyone is getting investors from their game design document.

I could assist maybe. I do want to know a lot more about the game(s) first though.
>>27868748
>java is the most normie tier of them
I'd bet on Python or Javascript because they're what new people are taught very often.
>what did you do
Not for me obviously but i:
Got introduced to visual basic at 8. Didn't really gather anything that wasn't superfluous later. Got back into it at around 13 with C. Wrote small console applications mainly. Have been programming on and off since. Most of it has been exploratory, not projects with a purpose. I've also had a general CS interest (algorithms, palatalization, CUDA and stuff). Got into hacking my buss-card when I got my NFC phone. Stole ~3$ and then changed it back.

I don't think history like this is all that important though. If I was more dedicated since 18 or so I'd have blown out those 10 years with ease.
>>
>>27868368
one of my only talents is singing, but I can't make music so I cant put it to any use. I've always wanted to sing in like video game music or whatever. Would you have any use for me?
>>
>>27867369
i can help with writing if you need anymore help, I like to come up with storylines and ideas for games and often test myself writing them and such.
>>
>>27867402
>>27868876
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recursive_descent_parser
These are great. But I think your problem is that you haven't written a tokenizer. It tends to simplify things quite a bit.

Without one you find yourself just having to do so much messing about with finding specific information.

But if you're already done with the parsing and you just have to send stuff I don't see what the problem would be really.
>>
>>27869019
Songs in video games are pretty rare dude. I can't think of many except like Bastion, Asura's Wrath and a couple others.
But yes I am always interested by talented singers, especially if you've got a decent mic.
What genres of music are you into? Post your email
>>
>>27868876
abit of a tl;dr there but, looking at the first class, I see a lot of repeated code. I mean that thing where yo define a method for each error report.
I don't know any python but I'd advice, if it's possible in your language, to simply store the error messages on a hash, with printf-style substitutors and make just a generic error report method that takes a string and a variable number of parameters. Something in pseudocode like:

Hash errstring {
invalid-port "Invalid port number %s, [...]"
invalid-email "Invalid email %s [...]"
}
def callerror(type, *args)
printf errstring{type}, args
exit 1
end

Or something like that (remember I dont know any python that's a mix of the languages I know).
The code is cleaner but you might get confused if you leave out a parameter and the error you get ends up being a "wrong number of arguments to printf" because you fucked up an error call. So be careful. You could find a way to fill in potential missing printf arguments before with a null string and you're good.
>>
>>27869019
>>27869193
Maybe a singing narrator.
Also please give sample.
>>
OPie here.

>>27867307
What exactly do you need help with? Is it a 2D/3D game? You need to research your possibilities a bit.

>>27867321
There's probably some audio-related API that lets you get properties of a sound based on which you could draw/render whatever you need.

>>27867346
If you mean assembly you can ask me anything.

>>27867369
Email me with contact details and we can discuss your plan!

>>27867402
Sorry man, I absolutely hate Python with a passion. Don't want to look stupid by saying it looks good, but I can see you've put some effort into it!

>>27867495
My online programming circle "buddies" are absolutely MILES ahead of me in every way and it really depressed me considering they both have been programming less than me. At least their advice is incredibly sound.

>>27867536
I wish I could tell you one thing and it would convince you to start coding again.

In my experience, I've restarted coding every time I got somehow socially involved in it like making hacks for MMOs to get ahead, being part of some dev team.

If I put it into a very general perspective I assume the best motivating factor would be a gf/wife (;_;) or someone you would have to provide for, therefore using your skills... I dunno man it's not like I have my shit together.

>>27867923
Sorry, anon! I got caught up with things. I couldn't find you on Steam, perhaps you could send me a direct link?

I'm glad others are contributing.
>>
>>27865944
How much does a contemporary programmer need to know about UNIX and Windows architecture in general?

I've managed to get a job offer with a programming company somehow and I really do not know anything about that.
>>
>>27869295
Depends on what you're coding, but nobody really expects programmers to know how exactly the operating system works. You should know basic API features however.
>>
>>27869193
[email protected]

I can sing most things since I was quite into voice acting at one point and my voice range is in the middle I guess. I'm trained as a singer so I 'm not just a random cheesy "let's try and sound like the latest popular musican" singer. But anyway that's all for that. I don't have a sample I can post on here though >>27869249
>>
>>27869266
I want the king to be similar to the crazy king on Game of Thrones. Also I want there to be stuff like blood and stuff like that. Something that makes you want to puke. I want it to be in VR so that it feels more real. You have to pick up stuff and get it on your basket or scrub blood, puke, or any kind of liquid.
>>
>>27869266

http://steamcommunity.com/id/senpaithenoticer/

Here you go senpai :]
>>
>tfw know how to program, even have a CS degree, but don't know how to get a job.
>tfw depression from not being able to get a job is causing me not continue working on my projects
>>
>>27869295
Not much. Most programming jobs rely entirely on libraries for OS stuff. And I don't blame them. What's the point in reinventing the wheel all the time when there's lightweight libraries that solve your problems for you. The time spent with the library is cheaper than the time spent building the library you're gonna use in the job.
>>
is OP still here
>original
>baka
>>
>>27870105
I am
>>27868297
im here
>>
>>27870105
I'm still here. Not sure who >>27870141 is.
>>
OP going to sleep. Will reply to emails in 10 hrs or so.
>>
>>27865944
Fuck off a5
>>
>>27865944
where would I start for making an IRC bot in C++

I know it would be easier in python but I want to try it in C++.
no prior networking experience in C++
>>
File: 1459146169847.jpg (99 KB, 1200x797) Image search: [Google]
1459146169847.jpg
99 KB, 1200x797
>>27869074
Yes. See>>27868158
Shoot me an email.

>>27869017
>The % of profits deal isn't exactly a tantalizing offer. Sure, imagine if you got a percentage of Minecraft. That's great. But most games aren't like that. And it's not like a % of profit offer is rare either.
Im aware. This project is definitely not for someone who cares more about the pay than the game. But if you love games, and I mean really love games and want to try to bring back what the industry was in the 90s and not the abomination that it is now, I would like to go over it with you. Shoot me an email at the one above.
>>
>>27871112
Get a networking library or an IRC library for c++. Go from there.

Alternatively learn your OS API and go from there.
>>
Will you do my programming assignments for me anon?

More seriously do you know anything about the VTK library
>>
>>27871226
yeah I was figuring QT could be done

just wondering how you could go about doing it
modular approach? which modules would be necessary
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.