[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"In a society where hating yourself leads to corporate profit,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5
File: 1459918466766.jpg (64 KB, 798x567) Image search: [Google]
1459918466766.jpg
64 KB, 798x567
"In a society where hating yourself leads to corporate profit, loving yourself is an act of rebellion"

well, my fellow brainwashed brobots, how do you feel about this statement? bullshit or nah? all opinions are welcome.
>>
>>27739559
bullshit, self-love is just as much a consumerist ploy as self-hate.

For instance, a clothing company can make more money by marketing to overweight and normal weight consumers instead of making clothes targeted towards thin, petite females. Part of their campaign can be like "healthy at every size" or some bullshit, they can play right along with the SJW self-love bullcrap.

Self-love by its very nature is selfish, self-focused, etc. I've already seen in advertising how instead of telling people how shitty they are for not having product "x" they instead show how product "x" empowers how great they already are.
>>
File: 1459971763550.jpg (100 KB, 640x1002) Image search: [Google]
1459971763550.jpg
100 KB, 640x1002
>>27739610
I hadn't considered that viewpoint and you're definitely right..now that i think about it, i think the original quote, and your stance, are both correct. which thought process you choose is what makes the difference. just another glass half full or half empty scenario.
>>
>>27739642
I think the original quote is an unhealthy motto though, to think oneself to be perfect as it is is to accept defeat in my opinion. To love oneself is to wish what is best for yourself, and most people aren't even sure what that is, so it is a dangerous idea.
>>
>>27739610
I think, in that case, you actually still hate yourself but you're buying shit in an effort to convince yourself that you don't. Which brings me to the thought that I had when I opened this thread:

>>27739559
What does it really mean to love yourself? Without an exploration of that question I think such statements are trite and something very near to bullshit.
>>
>I love myself and I'm going to buy a car

>I hate myself, I don't deserve a car

Stop reading into quotes only 14 year olds find deep
>>
>>27739610

This is true. I think honesty is the only path out of this kind of shit; when you face life as-is, you also see marketing for what it is.
>>
I don't understand how, let alone what it means, to "love myself." I can only assume that, because humans are social animals who want validation, it means to find people who love you.
I find that extremely difficult for both internal and external reasons beyond my control. Could I change? Probably. What would happen if I did? I would get friends. But how would I know if they were really my friends, they didn't like me before I changed? And am I really being true to myself if I try to pretend to be someone I'm not to get people to like me? The person they are liking is not the real me, so technically, no one has really accepted me, and no one really loves me.
>>
>>27739610

I think the meaning of the quote is self-love in the sense that you accept and respect yourself. In the case of the overweight consumer: Other than unavoidable disorders, no self-respecting human being would ever overweight to begin with.
As far as general material consumerism is concerned, modern advertisements are more like Freudian psychology than propositions.
>>
>>27739770
You're kind of contradicting yourself. If you've really changed then it doesn't matter what you were like before. If you're just pretending to be someone else, then yeah you're not being true to yourself. So really the question is what does it mean to genuinely change.
>>
File: Riace-A-head.jpg (123 KB, 870x1200) Image search: [Google]
Riace-A-head.jpg
123 KB, 870x1200
You shouldn't do anything anyone tells you to do.

Love the things about yourself that are worth loving, and hate the things about you which are detestable.

This whole culture of loving yourself arbitrarily, no matter how much of a failure you are, and hating yourself for things you have no control over is disgusting.

>Love yourself no matter how fat and lazy you are, you're beautiful
>Hate yourself because your ancestors were bad and it's still your fault

If you work hard and accomplish your goals, you should love yourself.

If you do nothing but wallow in your own self pity and never try, maybe you should hate yourself. Maybe that's the only hope you could possibly have at improving yourself.
>>
Orwell is the biggest hack in the canon.
>>
That's a very interesting question, actually.

To answer that question, consider this. What defines a person isn't their physical body. What makes an individual like you or me themselves is their personality, concept of self, and consciousness. If a robot didn't have my individuality, it wouldn't be me and you can't say it's me.

Following that, I think that not all that much would be different if I was a robot. Maybe I'd be made of metal, run on electricity instead of food and water, have motors instead of muscles and microchips instead of a brain, but deep down I'd still be myself on the inside.

Still, I guess it would be pretty cool to be a robot, and experience the world through a machine's eyes. It would make for such an interestingly different experience!
>>
>>27739704
To love yourself is to accept who you are and taking care of yourself and confidence
>>
>>27739813
Yeah. And then to find out what it means to change you have to find out what it means to be.
>just confuse my life up
>>
File: empowered womyn.png (2 MB, 2594x922) Image search: [Google]
empowered womyn.png
2 MB, 2594x922
Looks to me like she could use a little less love of self.

Also

>Women genuiely think that loving yourself means being proud of your physical appearance.
>>
>>27739704
>What does it really mean to love yourself?
as I said here >>27739688
If you love yourself, you do what is best for yourself. If you're fat, you diet and exercise, you don't eat more donuts and play video games. If you're addicted to drugs, you go to rehab. etc.

Ironically, to love oneself is to come to terms with what is wrong with yourself and work towards fixing it.

>>27739795
>that you accept and respect yourself
Acceptance isn't always a positive thing, but respect is, but I think today the meaning of respect has become so arbitrary. It's almost become equated with acceptance, but respect is earned, at least historically this is so. I feel that hate is degenerative, it will only cause further decline in a person, so I can understand that one at least respecting themselves to the point of acknowledging their propensity for improvement as positive thing.
>>
File: 1455318797822.jpg (1 MB, 1442x1614) Image search: [Google]
1455318797822.jpg
1 MB, 1442x1614
People who hate themselves and then buy things to improve themselves are shallow idiots.

True self loathing can't be commodified. It is one of the few acts of rebellion left to us.
>>
>>27739857
I don't understand why self-doubt is a negative thing though.

Perhaps it's because I'm a male, or I've had a lot of experience with different philosophies and ways of thinking, the collective experience of these leaving me not at all negatively affected by doubting myself.
>>
>>27739934

>I don't understand why self-doubt is a negative thing though.

It's because to her, 'self doubt' refers exclusively to body image issues. She likes being hot, she likes the attention of her red hair, she likes posting her photos on twitter and getting attention from guys - but she doesn't want to have to deal emotiotionally with the reality that her looks are inconsistent and ultimately fleeting.

It's female chauvinism.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.