[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This question is too basic for /fit/ to answer it seems because
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
This question is too basic for /fit/ to answer it seems because I never get any replies, so I'll ask it here on my home board.

If I am losing weight by calorie restriction, and doing cardio every day (not really cardio, just an hour of walking each day), should I lift as well?

I have found conflicting answers in my research. I know lifting will burn extra calories, but will it burn enough to be worth it when it comes to the time spent vs fat loss? Will I put on muscle despite my calorie restriction because I am a beginner?

tl;dr should I lift while losing weight or is an hour of walking a day good enough?
>>
>>27694171

You get conflicting answers because you're diet and question are complex. Also, your body might not respond in the same manner that others do. Define calorie restriction.

I found my appetite increases when I lift. I don't try to calorie restrict (never been overweight). I make sure that my meals are healthy and completely filling (paleo/primale). If you're lifting, make sure that you get enough protein, even with calorie restrict. I also find that protein is more filling than carbohydrates, too. So, there is that to consider.

If you eat at excess, it is likely that your body will use the extra to build muscle. You won't lose by doing it. Just make sure you don't starve yourself while you lift.
>>
>>27694285
Right, I know the basic tenants of cutting and bulking, I just wonder if as a beginner it is worth lifting now while cutting for the benefits it will provide to losing weight, or if it's best to wait until I bulk.

My calorie restriction is not too extreme, 1400 calories a day or so, I am 6'0" and 230 lbs.
>>
>>27694314

The advice that I have seen given to most beginners is to focus on lifting, that their body will undergo recomposition. Fat will decrease, while muscle will increase. If you're lifting at 1400 kcal/day, you're going to get hungry, I'm 90% sure of it. Compared to how you were eating before, how many calories do you think that you're missing out on?

You don't seem too overweight, although I don't have much of a frame of reference.
>>
>>27694364
Compared to before, about 1300 calories less, although I have been at this diet for a while, 2 months, so I'm used to it by now.
So to me it sounds like I should be lifting because that way I can recompose instead of just cutting all the way down to 160 lbs and being skinny fat.
I probably will get hungry, but if it gets too bad I can eat some chicken breast to satiate myself, and the protein is a big help.

Thank you for the advice. I just wasn't sure if recomposition would be possible for me.
>>
>>27694419

Jesus! A 1300 calorie deficit! That is insane to me. Although, if that is coming from junk food, that is totally understandable, and it is easy to get lose control of intake.

I don't know if recomp is possible for you, but give it a shot. Better to lift and not make much progress than not to strengthen your muscles, skeleton, and joints while reinforcing the habit.

Most of the time, I see people recommending a 500 calorie deficit.
>>
>>27694171
I did lots of pushups when I was cutting to try to not lose muscle, but ended up putting a little muscle on as well as losing 50lb
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.