[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I know I'll sound like a Facebook "le 90s kid"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
File: VHS-cassette.jpg (166 KB, 768x512) Image search: [Google]
VHS-cassette.jpg
166 KB, 768x512
I know I'll sound like a Facebook "le 90s kid" fag, but it seems that around 2006-2007ish, "kid culture" started getting really ADD and retarded and just lost its charm.

Chill things like Samurai Jack, Hey Arnold, Gundam, VHS, 5th and 6th generation gaming, pokemon, etc. just "vanished" and were suddenly replaced with iPhone, Justin bieber, Wii waggle casual games, social media, Flash, CGI, and tweencom shows where the characters scream at the top of their lungs constantly.

What happened here? Was it the release of the iPhone and the Big Bang Theory that did it in?
>>
>>27535240
>"as I got older, I lost interest in things marketed for kids "

Einstein
>>
>>27535240
I know I'm going to get a bunch of shit for this, but Gravity Falls is more interesting and complex than any kids show I remember seeing before 2006. I feel like a lot of people on this board have a "it's new and different and therefore wrong" attitude about everything. Seriously, the iPhone generation is no worse than the generation that bought into Sonic the Hedgehog en masse.
>>
>>27535240
There is nothing wrong with flash or CGI you fucking faggot.

They are tools that used by people with talent to create content.
Yes there are people who make total shit using those tools, but there are also people who make fucking masterpieces.

Also there was FUCK TONS of really shit media in the 90s and early 00. IT is just that you don't often remember the shit, only the good.
There are quite a few gems that came out since then that will probably be remembered for a long time after most of the shit you are complaining about is forgotten.

It is just how it fucking works. Culture always has shit parts and good parts. What you need is perspective dumbass.
>>
>>27535240

Older than you, but yeah, I agree. There was some kind of weird cultural crash that happened around 2007-2008.

Probably related to the economic turmoil. More braindump:

>people with money get hyper conservative
>avoid investing in anything that doesn't seem "tried and true"
>innovation reduction in entertainment industry as they focus on reboots and never-ending sequels
>increased homogenization of the online experience
>meme-culture moves beyond 'chans and places like SA
>rise of "walled-garden" sites like Facebook and MySpace
>Facebook not even allowing profile customization like MySpace
>changes in how the culture treats young people (think increased zero tolerance and no child left behind fuckry)
>continued cuts to arts and music funding and general cultural changes emphasizing "consume" rather than "make" mean people slow down on creative pursuits
>even OC quantity and quality here
>easy access to past culture via sites like YouTube makes it easier to consume than to create
>ease of piracy in late 90s / early 00s might have also devalued our sense that art / music have worth
>all these factors, but most dominant, the economy, make for a period of tepid creativity

That said, maybe the pendulum is starting to swing back. This shit does tend to go in cycles.
>>
File: 1396590865302.jpg (44 KB, 615x409) Image search: [Google]
1396590865302.jpg
44 KB, 615x409
>>27535240

Wow bruh, it's almost like you feel nostalgic and comfortable around the things YOU grew up around instead of the new and childish things that emerged when you were entering adulthood.

>Samurai Jack, Hey Arnold, Gundam, VHS, 5th and 6th generation gaming, pokemon,

I like how you think Gundam is a 90's kid thing, you fucking amateur bitch. Samurai Jack, Hey Arnold and VHS were fucking horrible, by the way. If you grew up using a VCR you'd know how goddamned shit they actually were.
>>
>>27535768
But VHS had a certain "warmth" to it that I liked
>>
File: 1426260674350.png (382 KB, 497x685) Image search: [Google]
1426260674350.png
382 KB, 497x685
>>27536636

Yeah, I guess I know what you mean. I am nostalgic for that sort of shit too, even though I know it was actually garbage compared to what we have now.

Not having snow and grain and tracking errors all over the screen was quite something when DVD came, though.
>>
>>27535701
>Probably related to the economic turmoil.

What economic turmoil?
>>
>>27536962

are you fucking kidding me?

jesus christ, fuck off back to /b/ kid.
>>
>>27537005

Jesus, I just asked a question. How the fuck am I supposed to know shit if everyone just tells me to fuck off?

Fuck.
>>
>>27537079

fuck off underage SCUM
>>
File: 04a687af409a37eeeb408b83876e111e.jpg (408 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
04a687af409a37eeeb408b83876e111e.jpg
408 KB, 1000x1000
>>27537079

By even asking that, you're proving that you're a fucking teenager.

Just get the fuck out of here, you shitmonkey. I bet you were like 7 in 2008.
>>
You're such a gigantic fucking faggot.
>>
>>27537079
What really irks me about people like you is that the entire financial and economic system your hedonistic lifestyle is based on was on the brink of collapsing not even seven years ago, and you never even realized it was happening.
>>
>>27537929
He was like 5 tbf.
>>
>>27535240
What? Gundam never vanished.
It's still around. Gundam Build Fighters was great, and it's the sort of thing that should have gone on Cartoon Network.
>>
>>27537965
keking hard at the underage fag that got BTFO
>>
>>27537079
>not hearing about the global financial crisis
JESUS CHRIST
>>
>>27535240
>VHS tapes vanished in 2007

literally what

Besides, the whole ADD mass media culture came around in the days following 9-11 when they first started using the crawling-text bullshit on CNN and other news networks.

Other than that, it's just your nostalgia talking. My parents were screaming that video games were like the original Game Boy and Nintendo Entertainment System giving me ADD because I didn't want to sit and read a book for 8 hours a day everyday, and their parents felt the same way about TV.
>>
It's pretty generally accepted 2007 is the point the world went to shit. Big Bang Theory, the iPhone, economic crisis.
>>
>>27535601
>There is nothing wrong with flash or CGI you fucking faggot.
>They are tools that used by people with talent to create content.
>Yes there are people who make total shit using those tools, but there are also people who make fucking masterpieces.

They weren't used extensively until the mid '00s. While they can make very good things it's too easy to crank out crude motion-tweened nonsense and soulless PSOne-tier crap respectively. They started being used almost exclusively since HD became popular because drawing in detail is very expensive and computers can make things look really clean for little money.
>>
>>27535701

You're forgetting one critical event: Project Chanology and the birth of Anonymous.

>destroyed 4chan
>as 4chan went, so went the world
>all is lost now
>>
>>27538485

Flash was massive online for years bruv. Way before iPhones and shit.
Just how old are you? Seems like you're actually from the generation you're shitting on.
>>
>>27538485

So we shouldn't get new technologies because some people might use them to shitty things...?

I think I've heard this argument before...
>>
We are literally in the golden age of television.
>>
>>27538539
It wasn't used very much on TELEVISION. It was different online of course, but most stuff on Newgrounds and the sort only two or three people total working on it so it's more acceptable to look somewhat primitive, but as can be seen from Homestar Runner an appealing art style can still make it work.
>>
>>27538539

>Flash was massive online

lol. for what? you have 10 sec to name me one mmo written in flash.

protip:you can't.
>>
>>27538156

GenXer here. I used to get in trouble for reading 8 hours a day.

Whatever you're doing, your parents are going to hate it...and that doesn't stop when you leave home.

>not a parent
>>
>>27535240
I get what you mean by kid culture being more aimed towards ADD structure (smartphone games, screaming flashing cartoons, etc.) but you fucked up by making it about nostalgia and now that's all the thread will be about.

Just look at Hey Arnold for example. A show about kids growing up, learning very adult lessons, relatively subtle humor (if any at all, probably the first kids' show I ever saw where there were entire episodes without jokes and just the lesson and dialogue), and a smooth jazz soundtrack for christ's sake. Show me a show like that being produced nowadays.
>>
The cartoons that define today's generation are fucking Stephen Universe and Uncle Grandpa

I know what you mean about ADD OP
>>
>>27535340
I love Gravity Falls but it's the exception that confirms the rule. It's light years ahead of the typical garbage they produce for kids. They already aired a lot of crap 20 years ago because content producers assume kids are literally retarded and will swallow everything but the ratio of crap to quality really has gotten a lot worse in the last 10 years.

I'm really glad things like Gravity Falls and Steven Universe are raising the bar again.
>>
I can't wait until Kid's TV shows are just people screaming into a camera non stop, nothing else.
>>
File: messageImage_1452563990446.jpg (257 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
messageImage_1452563990446.jpg
257 KB, 800x600
>>27538002
this tbhwa

Gundam is still going strong and by the time you were watching Wing and G it was nearly a decade old already.
>>
Would you ever hear a song like this in a show produced for kids these days?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS9RDJJxdfU
>>
>>27538624

Wow. You autistic cunt.

NAME ME ONE MMO!!!! HAHAHA I WIN

As if mmos are the only thing online. Wow.
>>
>>27538624
>not playing flash games when your class got the ict room at school
>>
>>27538939
>When the sax hit
Aww yeah
>>
I just wish there were more action cartoons.
It seems like the only animated thing that comes out now days is comedies.
>>
>>27535701
this is a real good analysis. very deep and thought provoking. good job anon
>>
>>27539031
it seems that every thing animation or live action related that comes out is a comedy

I don't know if it's because we subconsciously realized we are doomed in the near future or what, but I feel like there are more and more jokes every where, and that they get worse everytime
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.