[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone have a hobby here
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 14
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Hey /r9k/ anyone else have hobbies that relax them? I like doing ceramics. lets me get out some creative energy and I can choose to make whatever I want pic related
>>
I like to dress my whippet
>>
File: spoony.jpg (362 KB, 714x953) Image search: [Google]
spoony.jpg
362 KB, 714x953
I like messing around with pyrography. I just made some burned spoons for my mom with flowers and stuff on them and she really liked them, probably the coolest thing I've done for her. Someone even asked me if I would burn something for them for $30 and I might do it. I really like working with wood, sanding it perfect, smelling the burning wood, getting the shading just right, experimenting with the different tips and different types of wood, etc. It's really fun and easy to get into and since not a lot of people do it people think it's kinda neat

Also I like the Alien you did OP. I haven't done ceramics since middle school art class, I'm jealous
>>
>>27509002
balcon gardener reporting in.
>>
File: 1u97ooR.jpg (103 KB, 955x960) Image search: [Google]
1u97ooR.jpg
103 KB, 955x960
>>27509002
Just noticed the negroid hand.

Attack boys
>>
>>27509033
That's terrible,

Origamu yourself
>>
>>27509054
OP here that's really cool actually I haven't heard of that before do you just start with like blocks of wood and work it down to what you want?
>>
>>27509033
Is that actually your dog? I've seen these dogs and greyhounds wearing the most intricate and fancy sweaters better than even what I have, like fancy Alpaca-fleece-cable-knit shit. They are shivery bastards so I'm glad you dress him up
>>
>>27509115
get your personal army from some other board
hell, you aren't even doing anything
>>
File: oilpaint.png (1 MB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
oilpaint.png
1 MB, 960x720
i half ass painted a picture once
>>
>>27509158
Fuck you, don't talk to me or my son ever again.
>>
>>27509160
Looks alright, I've been meaning to get into painting. What paint do you use and where do you get it from?
>>
>>27509148
That's woodcarving/woodwork, I just do woodburning. You have to sand the wood you're using super smooth or the grain disrupts making even lines and details. It's really easy to get into, a nice tool with attachments is only like $20 and you can get everything at Michael's or the like
>>
You could sell ceramic Pepes on etsy and make a killing off of reddit faggots and tumblr bitches.
>>
Fishing and playing guitar. Brought myself a 13 ft surf rod. Now I need someone to come to the beach with me and drink some beers while I wait for a fish.
>>
>>27509135
Mate my whippets dress better then anyone on this board.
>>
>>27509204
kek, do they like that?
>>
File: oil2.png (1 MB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
oil2.png
1 MB, 960x720
>>27509188
thanks.
its oil paint, from michaels. im assuming can be bought from any other chain craft store. shit's expensive so have mainly the store brand paint. also have to prep the canvas with a primer before you start, and use turpentine or paint thinner to clean all the mess up.

i pretty much just watched a bob ross video and painted along. lol
>>
>>27509201
This is a good idea. Do it op
>>
>>27509202
How long have you played the guitar?
>>
>>27509201
genious
>>
>>27509233
Nobody likes it. But you gotta do what you gotta do to stay part of the cool crew while walking at the dog park.

Owners want to be me and other dogs wana be with me.
>>
File: 629tan_.jpg (1 MB, 3303x1858) Image search: [Google]
629tan_.jpg
1 MB, 3303x1858
I shoot guns. Been thinking of trying a metal forge as well.

>>27509054
I bet you could buy AK stocks, burn some neat designs and sell them for a shitload.
>>
>>27509054
I'm really looking to get into that!
I have a couple old hardwood tabels that I would like to try that on.

What do I need for starting?
Is it a lot harder than painting it with a brush?
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>27509253
I making ceramic pepes isn't too difficult actually if I had a kiln at home I probably would start selling some of my work right now I'm working on glazing a whistle I made of iggy Koopa pic related
>>
>>27509265
Since last year. Teaching myself chords and scales.
>>
Currently developing a video game. I'm making it using RPG Maker 2 for Super Famicom, hoping hack it and burn it to a cart once it's finished. Now that I've gotten the hang of everything, it's really fun to keep making steady progress. I try to work on it for an hour or two every day.
>>
>>27509320
You plan on selling copies or releasing the rom maybe? That would be pretty neat
>>
>>27509347
I'd release the rom for free of course, but I might do a Kickstarter if there's interest in a cart release.
>>
>>27509306
>don't burn on any surface with a coating, sand it down to smooth wood with varying grits of sandpaper first
>get a tool where you can adjust the temperature/comes with different tips from amazon or the craft store for $20
>basswood is easiest to burn and soft, but that and other cuts of wood are easily available at any craft store
>the slower you go, the darker and fatter the line
>heatproof gloves are recommended, have fingertip blisters developed from the boiling hot plastic handle of my shitty tool without an adjustable temp
>draw your designs with a pencil before burning them or use graphite paper/similar to transfer designs
>do it in a well-ventilated area or your house will smell
>keep a steady hand
>make sure you get a stand for your pen and don't burn a hole in your carpet by accident like me
>>
I don't really have any hobbies. I'm intimidated by the thought of sucking at something
>>
>>27509475
Just do it, I suck at pretty much everything I do, guitar, piano, writting. You name it, I suck at it.
>>
File: image.jpg (57 KB, 396x385) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57 KB, 396x385
>>27509475
Hey dude it's a hobby meant for fun and relaxation no one can tell you your bad at it but yourself (well other people can but you just have to ignore that) as long as you have fun that's all that really matters in the long run
>>
>>27509522
>>27509503
I'm at a point in my life where I feel like I'm ready to do that. I just have to force myself to be a person. All I did in high school was smoke weed and study

Thanks for the support robots
>>
>>27509561
Sucking at something is the first step at actually learning and becoming good at it.

>tfw first project was so fucked up I burned it in a fire but now I can make gifts
>>
>>27509475
As Jake the Dog said, "sucking at something is the first step to becoming sorta good at something".
>>
Hey guys, here's a poem for you:

In the deepest watch of night
alone I spark this vigil light
That goddess sleep has spurned me so
Now wicked through these halls I creep
knowing things no man should know
>>
>>27509457
Awesome thanks
A couple questions.

The last sandpaper I use -the one that is the smoothest. Does it have some sort name/numbers?

How thick are the gloves suppose to be? Will I not lose the ability for fine lines and stuff I wear those?

How long did it take you to make on of these spoons?

Can I paint the the tabel with woodstain first? Also how deep does the burning go into the wood? Do you feel it a lot when you touch the surface?
>>
>>27509741
I recommend getting one of those sanding tools where the sandpaper goes into the tool, since I bought a pack of sandpaper with a bunch of different grades and it's harder to sand larger projects. Sandpaper is also useful for cleaning off the tool when resin collects on the tip.

I don't even have gloves but I'm just advising it as a precaution since I burnt my hands on my cheapo tool. If you get one where you adjust the temperature it might not be as bad but I'd just get some gardening gloves, just to give your flesh a barrier against the handle and allow flexibility with the tool.

I stenciled the designs by hand with a pencil and then actually burned them all in one night. It took me from 6pm-midnight I think, but I work slow and I was also drinking a little bit so I'm not sure how long it'd take you.

Woodstain and other finishes can actually catch on fire when you burn them, so I'd advise you to just sand it down to the bare wood before you finish the surface. Also, you will get a more uniform look without the possibility of resin bubbling and warping from the heat.

Woodburning is really shallow and pressing hard/for a long time can get the piece pretty hot but it won't go through or anything. You're basically writing with a really hot pen.

Good luck with pyrography if you decide to get into it, it can be really rewarding.
>>
>>27509708
Did you write that or copy it? Pretty gud
>>
>>27510192
I wrote it senpai, I like doing little six line poems
>>
>>27509863
Cool cool cool
I'm gonna try to order it tonight wich gives me time to sand everything down until the tool arrives.

Thank for the inspiration buddy!
And post more of your stuff eventually
>>
File: 1457712258034.jpg (23 KB, 500x364) Image search: [Google]
1457712258034.jpg
23 KB, 500x364
>>27509002
Does smoking weed and wanting to die include as a hobby?
>>
>>27510323
I do that AND one of the hobbies in this thread, step your game up
>>
>>27509160
hello bob ross follower
>>
>>27509002
Paint miniatures, play a few instruments and listen to music mostly.
>>
I'm obsessed with jojo's bizarre adventure
>tfw too ugly to cosplay
>>
I shoot guns like >>27509302
Though I prefer long range precision shooting to handguns. I have some land in a pretty rural area that I go to once every month or so and set up targets all the way out to 1800 meters. I just find it super relaxing to do long distance shooting as a opposed to going to indoor ranges and painting paper at a 15 yard max.
>>
I sing in a punk band and I write stage plays. I'm not very good at either but I don't want to do anything else. I also watch a lot of movies and write down my thoughts. I want to write and direct my own films at some point but right now theatre is easier. My band doesn't have any tracks recorded yet but I could post some lyrics if anybody gives a shit i guess
>>
File: 1452550562200.png (914 KB, 1024x640) Image search: [Google]
1452550562200.png
914 KB, 1024x640
I used to like to make wallpapers, but I haven't made one in 7 months.
>>
wow this thread is gay as fuck
>>
I do web development

I made a feel website some of you may have heard of (tfwhen.com). It's pretty comfy working on it, definitely adds a meaningful element to my life - that being creativity, no doubt.
>>
>>27512571
>I also watch a lot of movies and write down my thoughts
Please explain how this pans out. Do you keep pausing the movie or write it all after?

Check out a site called Jay's Analysis (related), and look at the "film analysis" section, it's berry interesting
>>
>>27512826
No, I have a really good memory and generally can keep track of what happens and what I think, then afterwards I write my "review" like a journal entry
>>
File: image.png (108 KB, 460x412) Image search: [Google]
image.png
108 KB, 460x412
>>27512358
OP here dude go for it your just trying to show your appreciation for the show who cares what people think
>>
>>27512658
>I'm useless and can't create anything
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.