[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can women be depressed the way men can?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 13
File: whore2.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
whore2.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHvYr5_HTCk

>that eye twitch up and to the right at 1:53 as she's talking about how bad her "depreshuns" is--textbook lie
>that fake as fuck theatrical sob and jump cut right after
>that manufactured, disingenuous, blatant "FEEL BAD FOR ME" sad indie background music piped-in throughout
>completely dolled-up in makeup and nice clothes
>hyperactive jump cuts every two seconds despite the topic
>2 million views
>comment section full of people comforting her and giving her attention
I'm just not buying it.
>>
File: realanxiety.jpg (376 KB, 1818x888) Image search: [Google]
realanxiety.jpg
376 KB, 1818x888
Of course they can. Maybe she even got her nail broken, that's a real tragedy.
>>
>>27500651
Friend, let me tell you a little fact.

If you're posting a video online about how depressed you are, all the while monetizing the video, you are not depressed.

If you post online, whether it be on Youtube, or more commonly on social media such as Facebook, you are not really depressed.

No truly depressed person wants others to know, they often are hesitant to ask for help, and feel extremely stupid talking about it with others.

This girl is not depressed, she is simply pouncing on an opportunity to gain popularity on Youtube by hitching onto the latest bandwagon, which for this generation, is mental illnesses.

Have you seen the amount of mental illness videos made by popular Youtubers recently?
These people are not depressed, they are being opportunistic.
>>
Daily reminder that womyn can NOT have depression or social anxiety or any of that shit.

If you take a psychology class, one of the first things you learn is that a psychology disorder doesn't become one until it inhibits your daily life. Just being merely a womyn means you will have zero strain socially.
>>
>>27500688
>social anxiety
>makes videos that will be watched by literally millions of people
Women everyone
>>
>>27500768
/thread
Abandon everyone.
Literally this.
>>
>>27500651
I tried to downvote this video for truth and to fight the lies a while ago but I see by the number of thumbs up that the lies are too powerful.
>>
>>27500851
Tis sad as fuck. Society is dying. What do we do?
>>
>>27500768
I was gonna say something along the lines of this /thread
>>
Girls can't be depressed? Marilyn Monroe killed herself.
>>
Typical misogyny-bait thread predicated on neurotic non-issues rather than substantial evidence of male brutalisation.

Women can be depressed. They frequently are. Trying to compare 'levels' of depression or trying to claim that one person's depression is more or less valid than anothers is pointless. There are women who kill themselves.

Any girl who uploads videos like this is an attention-whore. We are probably all agreed on that. Is it possible that she's experienced depression at some stage? Yes, possibly as a consequence of being such an attention-whore.

Is it likely her depression was based on more ridiculous, silly things? Sure, I doubt she was depressed over an inability to even be heard by the opposite gender, or over an inability to be validated, or over things like the human condition, suffering, etc.

It doesn't make female depression any less 'real' to the individual female experiencing it.

The only valid point you could have made about this, OP, is that a woman who is experiencing or has experienced depression will easily obtain much more help and assistance and sympathy than any man ever will, and her attention-whoring could slightly contribute to this situation.
>>
>>27501149
Didn't even read past the first line.
>>
Men's depression is a harmful downward spiral. Get sad, don't socialize, don't have people to let you be happy with, get sad, get told to 'man up', repeat, lose your friends ,your job, your family gives up on you, go homeless.

Women's depression is unlikely to spiral down anywhere near as far a guy's would. Get sad, someone talks to you or comforts you. Parents/family are much more likely to help you or subsidize you, or house you. Get a make-work bullshit job much easier and push papers all day, without needing physical labor. Could even STILL land a boyfriend who houses you and pays attention to you.

An socially anxious/depressed man pretty much is invisible or doesn't exist to society.
A socially anxious/depressed woman is still the same woman to society.
>>
>>27500875
>tis
Go back to R*ddit and fucking stay there, faggot.
>>
File: 1458519170857.jpg (74 KB, 497x804) Image search: [Google]
1458519170857.jpg
74 KB, 497x804
>>27501149
Let's read the subject line again, shall we, my whiteknight faggot friend?
>Can women be depressed the way men can?
>women be depressed the way men can?
>be depressed the way men can?
>depressed the way men can?
>the way men can?
Huh, it's almost like those last four words completely change the meaning of the question being asked! Who would've thought?
>>
when a man is depressed he doesn't make a fucking video about it
>>
File: 54684471_p0.png (364 KB, 646x832) Image search: [Google]
54684471_p0.png
364 KB, 646x832
>>27500651
No they can't. She just made a video that would make her a quick buck.
>>
File: 1455434790972.gif (1 MB, 320x234) Image search: [Google]
1455434790972.gif
1 MB, 320x234
>>27500651
Here is the video description:
>I can't believe I'm uploading this.
>Um. So. These are some things I just felt I needed to say.

Fuck this stupid ass whore. I almost feel insulted. She doesn't know true loss or depression.
>>
Depression isn't real in the way many people think it is.

Depression is purely mental. Even though many people will tell you that it is a "chemical imbalance", most people within the field of neurology will tell you that the monoamine theory is shaky.

It is caused by a pattern of negative thinking that gets positively reinforced by something. Something like self-pity or attention.

The reason why women are far more likely to be depressed than men is because society feels more sorry for women who act sad. And because society is always patting women on the back and telling them it will be alright, their subconscious says "wow, I'm getting all this outside attention. It must be because of my negative thought patterns. I will be sure to act even more depressed"

The reason that depression is suddenly rising in the western world is because, as we become more coddling to people with mental illness, we allow people room to wallow.

In the old days, being sad was something undesirable. So people just soldiered on and got over it. And even though people today are like "don't tell me to man up. toxic masculinty! toxic masculinity!" they can't explain why everyone is depressed today when they weren't 50 years ago.

Depression starts with a genuine rough patch, and then gets reinforced by attention and self-pity.
>>
>>27500651
Depression has become a subject of attention-whoring. If you think this fucking bitch has ever been depressed, you are retarded.
>>
>>27501149
This. Just because get roastie depression is based on not getting chad dick doesn't make her sads any less sads. Is her sadness frivolous? Of course. But it's all relative. Western women generally only know comfort, so when they don't get picked up at da club or the bakery runs out of cupcakes or something, for them that's as bad as our lifetime of loneliness and self loathing.
>>
>>27500651
All of this is anecdotal evidence, just because you have a few examples of "fake" depression doesn't mean that woman cant experience it.

Face it everyone can get depressed, and although it is more prominent it men (Higher suicide rates) doesn't devalue it in women.

All the evidence you should need to know that woman can be depressed, is that women commit suicide.

There may be a difference between depression in men and women, but if both can potentially lead to suicide there is no use devaluing the other
>>
>>27501765
lmao this, to be completely honest with you.
>>
>>27501765
Explain Eggman and that black little guy everyone used to that about.
>>
>>27501420
Good post.
While women perhaps can have depression, the actual reality of their respective depression, both men and women, are vastly different, with men's depression being much more serious, on the whole.

>but muh women committ suicide too

Women over exaggerate and over diagnose their depression to such an extent that they soon actually delude themselves into believing it, causing them to committ suicide.

I'm not going to account for women's tendency to exacerbate problems in their mind.
>>
>>27502172

He said "man"

Not the highly effeminate nu-males that exist today who post on social media about wanting to kill themselves for attention but never actually do it.

They have the same attention whore mindset as women.
>>
>>27502192
Do you realize how stupid you sound?
But sure we could argue the same about those "girls". I'm gonna call them ru-females.
>>
>>27502172
Eggman has an extremely feminine mindset. Why do you think he posts videos?
For attention.
This isn't therapeutic for him, this is just attention whoring.

A genuinely depressed person wouldn't want to make videos about his depression, mostly because he would feel stupid talking about it.

I'd wager that Eggman was raised by a single mother.
>>
>>27502246

Attention whoring is an inherently female thing

When men get depressed we suck it up, make the changes we need to, and fight against it.
When women get depressed, they just use it as an opportunity to wallow in self-pity and be a useless piece of shit.

Even the concept of suicide is just attention whoring gone too far. People only kill themselves because they want to be "remembered" or they want to "get back at the world". All fancy words for "I want attention".

That's why women attempt suicide more.

Women are just weaker in spirit. They don't know how to deal with problems like men can.
>>
>>27502358
>Attention whoring is an inherently female thing
Wrong. You know more females doing that sort of thing because their rate of success is higher. I am completely certain that there has been more male videoblogger or whatever than females. Of course with females it always works but with males it rarely works. So I think you have the wrong idea for that reason.
And everyone likes attention don't even try to fool yourself.
>>
>>27502358
You pretend like not wanting attention is some virtue. It is more likely that you're so unremarkable, you have rationalised the absence of attention that you get as some kind thing to do with masculinity.

Even so, it's paradoxical to assert that you don't want attention, because everything you do is about gaining attention and recognition from others socially. Even if you don't think it is, or swear adamantly that you don't want attention, the real reason you lift, wear a particular style of clothing, or behaviour a certain way is something you've designed to get a specific type of attention, from specific people.
>>
>>27502455
>And everyone likes attention don't even try to fool yourself.
Yeah it's mindsets like "omg you're only sad for attention" that really drag the depressed down even further. It's like, "So what, everyone else does everything for attention anyways?" Sometimes you need a little bit of confidence to get out of a funk. Instead people would rather push you further down the spiral.

I don't know , I guess everyone should be nice to one another, but that people are truly only nice to Chad and Stacy, who are honestly, the people that need kindness the least.
>>
File: image.png (51 KB, 657x527) Image search: [Google]
image.png
51 KB, 657x527
>>27500651
I do think women can be depressed, but I also believe there is something different about their depression than men's.
Women seem to have more "cool" anhedonia like depression that you see in movies and shit where the protagonist is seen looking out a rainy window and having an almost blank but slightly sad facial expression or going about their daily activities in a functional but unmotivated way
Men on the other hand seem to have much uglier, radical depression that stems from crushing loneliness and societal rejection and manifests itself in them failing school or losing jobs, withdrawing into escapism or drug abuse, and eventually maybe blowing their heads off with a shotgun
>>
>>27500980
>implying she wasnt killed by global elite, because she dun goofed
>>
>>27503252
I'm sure women do that too.
>>
>>27500768
Underrated post.

I want to fucking gas every single person who likes that video or tries to console her. I really, really fucking hate women.
>>
>>27500768
Basically this. There's no way to trust people who post "My Depression" videos on YouTube, since they're aiming to get a lot of views, which in turn gives them money as a partner.
>>27501149
Damn right. Sure, maybe she was depressed, but the fact is that she is still posting that to get a crap ton of views. Also, this:
>a woman who is experiencing or has experienced depression will easily obtain much more help and assistance and sympathy than any man ever will
Like this guy said:
>>27501933
>Men's depression is a harmful downward spiral. Get sad, don't socialize, don't have people to let you be happy with, get sad, get told to 'man up', repeat, lose your friends ,your job, your family gives up on you, go homeless.
>Women's depression is unlikely to spiral down anywhere near as far a guy's would. Get sad, someone talks to you or comforts you.
Truth has been spoken. All the woman has to do is find a beta, which should be easy - they're desperate for some action, but some will definitely seek LTRs. Problem solved.
>>
>>27500651
Women kill themselves all the time but you fucking idiots still think they can't be depressed? Like they jump off bridges for attention or something? This woman clearly isn't, but women can be. It's probably less common and less pronounced in women than some men (men generally have more mental illnesses), but it still exists.
>>
>>27501933
That's due to social differences in how men and women are treated, not physical differences.
>>
>>27500651

I think women can be depressed, but it sure as fuck has nothing to do with anything in that video.
>>
>>27503887
I think women have a lower threshold for suffering.
>>
>>27503887

>Women kill themselves

No, women try to kill themselves, and fail. I suppose it's impressive in its own way, but it's a cry for attention, just like everything else in a woman's life.
>>
>>27501933

I think you've made the mistake of thinking depression is one diagnosis, when in reality there's multiple forms and each person presents slightly differently.

> It is caused by a pattern of negative thinking that gets positively reinforced by something. Something like self-pity or attention.

This is probably correct for the majority of people, less to do with self-pity or wanting attention, and more to do with learned helplessness due e.g. abuse in childhood.

> The reason why women are far more likely to be depressed than men

The difference between occurrence of mood disorders in men & women is literally only a couple of %.

> Depression is purely mental. Even though many people will tell you that it is a "chemical imbalance"

I don't think the idea that clinical depression could be the result of pathphysiological processes is 'shaky' infact its pretty popular.

Off the top of my head all the strides and leaps being made with ECT and the frankly amazing outcomes overnight in patients with clinical depression I think is a strong basis for some sort of underlying pathology.

> Depression starts with a genuine rough patch, and then gets reinforced by attention and self-pity.

Eh, sure if you wanna be reductionist as fuck and label people as crybabies that's your prerogative, but it just weakens your argument by displaying your lack of knowledge on the subject t b h fampai.
>>
>>27504015
>no woman has ever successfully killed herself
why the retardation tho
>>
>>27500651
>be sad for 1-2 weeks
>OMG I HAVE SEVERE CLINICAL DEPRESSION
fuck right off. seriously, FUCK you
>>
File: 1458836694601.jpg (62 KB, 640x563) Image search: [Google]
1458836694601.jpg
62 KB, 640x563
To all the people saying that some women kill themselves, it just serves as more evidence for the case that a majority of women can't be depressed like men.

If you look at the statistics, men are far more likely to actually die of suicide and favor highly lethal methods like jumping off of bridges or shooting themselves in the head. Women in comparison are more likely to just down a bunch of pills in a place they know they will be found, thus they have a higher "attempted" suicide rate but a much lower actual suicide death rate.

This serves as an excellent analogy for how they feel depression imo, women's depression is almost always far more shallow and often a ploy for attention, whilst men's depression is far more clinical severe and self destructive.

That said I know women can actually have real severe depression and social anxiety. My mom is a neet and hasn't left the house in years, and hides because of anxiety when most guests are over. She also keeps it to herself and close family, she doesn't flaunt serious traumas and mentally illnesses for attention or affection.

Source for statistics
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_differences_in_suicide
>>
File: 1458270713708.gif (485 KB, 272x251) Image search: [Google]
1458270713708.gif
485 KB, 272x251
>>27504578
Roasties btfo

Bloxbloxbloxblox
>>
File: 1448525237996.gif (1 MB, 483x364) Image search: [Google]
1448525237996.gif
1 MB, 483x364
>>27504578
>My mom is a neet and hasn't left the house in years, and hides because of anxiety when most guests are over
>>
File: Ayy.png (68 KB, 1279x641) Image search: [Google]
Ayy.png
68 KB, 1279x641
Women can only be lonely by choice.
>>
>>27500651

depends. if she's attractive, I'd say it's different. people being interested in you, whether as a friend about your well being, or sexually interested, is a factor in your feeling of self worth.
>>
>>27504681
What did he mean by this?

Fucking turn the robot off /r9k/ has changed.
>>
>>27500651
>So like, I'm super duper depressed guys
>Life was like sooo great then a switch just flipped in my head and I was sad

The fact videos like this exist shows we're on the verge of dystopia.
>>
File: 14254348780.jpg (12 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
14254348780.jpg
12 KB, 300x400
This all just makes me feel more depressed
>>
File: 1458971669078.jpg (390 KB, 1859x719) Image search: [Google]
1458971669078.jpg
390 KB, 1859x719
>>27504883
constanza's spherical head with eggman's egg head work together to produce a normal face.
>>
>>27500651
There's no reason to make a video like this other than attention, especially when it happened in the past. I don't know why this behaviour gets the praise that it does.
>>
>>27503887
>>27504077
Men have a HIGHER successful suicide rate. Your argument means shit squat
>>
>>27505723
it may be because they are waaay less likely to get help than women.
>>
>>27505918
Because no one gives a shit about men. As a flappy roastie once said, "Dick is abundant." Men are disposable.
>>
Women can feel just as depressed as men. It's a chemical imbalance.

You can argue "their circumstances won't be as bad" and perhaps that's true but get this--genuine, non "I-can't-get-a-girlfriend" meme depression will persist regardless of said circumstances. You can be a millionaire and have everything you'd ever wanted and still feel miserable if you are truly, clinically depressed.
>>
>>27507158
>Women can feel just as depressed as men. It's a chemical imbalance.

There is zero evidence of this whatsoever.
>>
>>27507167
>Certainly in many cases, there is a reduction in the amount of certain neurotransmitters found (monoamines such as serotonin and norepinephrine) in depressed people.
>>
>>27500651
Do all girls sound this retarded when they speak?
>>
>>27507182

Read this, please:

http://journals.plos.org/plosmedicine/article?id=10.1371/journal.pmed.0020392
>>
>all this broscience and cliche bullshit

if i had a dollar for everytime i saw this sequence in a thread i'd be a millionaire, at least:
>women can be depressed too
>they kill themselves too
>no they just attempt to kill themselves
>men are more successful at killing themselves
>truism, cliche, obvious facts and then the sounds of Sherlock Holmes rolling over in his grave

probably because r9k is like 50 unique posters and the rest are new friends.
>>
>>27500768
Do you think its possible that some of these people are genuinely depressed but because they're normies attention whoring is therapeutic? This is an genuine question.
>>
>>27500768
this t b h, like that bitch who cheated on kyrie irving and uploaded pictures of her attempted suicide on instagram
>>
>>27503887
Men kill themselves 4x more. Because no none helps men.
>>
I would argue there's only one difference. Women have people to talk to and's care about them. They have social safety. Men are more often than not completely alone to figure it out themselves.
>>
I'd say this guy is depressed
https://youtu.be/1ViQEsoxWfE
>>
>>27507220
This research doesn't really confirm that it doesn't have anything to do with chemical interactions within the brain, just that it has nothing to do with serotonin.
>>
>>27507093
I went to a free managing depression clinic, 3/12 were men.
We're just less likely to deal with emotions until its too late
>>
>tfw schizophrenic and borderline
That makes me want to kill this bitch tbqh
>>
>>27501149
Fuck off with your relativism, there absolutely are frivolous reasons to be depressed. However real it may be to her doesn't make it valid.
>>
>>27501933

Die in a fire you cunt
>>
>>27500651
this disgusting whore makes my blood fucking boil, look at she fakes her tears, hear she says nothing but a tons of shitty trivialities that would make sick even the worst b-movie film-maker, hear how she lie to the braindead bitches that follow her jewtube account about the reasons why she's making this repellent normie-tier hugbox of bullshit about depression: she's making that video becuz she wants to help humanity xD, she says while she is only monetizing the popshit she enunciates.

I hope she will get cancer
>>
>>27502182

Aren't women far more likely to fail in their suicide attempts also?

For men it's a means to an end. For women it's an opportunity to seek out attention.
>>
>>27500768

>No truly depressed person wants others to know

Fallacy bruh
>>
>>27510458

They're more likely to fail because they tend to worry about being clean so the person who happens upon them doesn't have to see anything too brutal.
>>
I don't think she did this for a quick buck, I think she has just lied to herself instead for attention
>>
>>27510565

On the nose there bud. Convincing yourself you have a debilitating mental disorder will make it SO much harder to move on from whatever IS going on.
>>
>>27510546
>women are so caring they don't want anyone to see they're dead bodies because it's traumatizing
Women fail because they get scared at the last minute. Testosterone helps me get past any scary moments and do the deed
>>
>>27510656

Can't be both? I said "more likely" and "tend to", this is obviously not the case 100% of the time.
>>
>>27510546
I hope this post is satire.
>>
>stereotypical sad stock music in background
>attractive girl telling her probably thousands of subscribers about her hard time

I know depression effects others differently, but I'm a 24 year old male who is a kissless virgin, has no driver's license, and has failed everything I've ever tried. I'm not good at anything and none of my hobbies are productive. To boot, the people I currently kind of hang out with treat me like a third wheel and just make fun of me all the time, to the point where I just stay at home alone or do solitary things. I hate my life and I hate waking up in the morning, and every day I have thoughts of either beating the shit out of somebody who even so much as barely slights me (which is impossible cuz i'd get my ass kicked because I'm a weak wimp) or straight up just killing myself.

I hate my life and everyone is constantly putting me down or telling me how bad my decisions are. When people guide me, they push me into situations I can't really handle and I fail yet again. My whole life is a failure and I'm just here to be laughed at by other people, or used as an example of when something goes wrong.

Sorry for the rant, but the video triggered me.
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.