[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How hard is it to become a pharmacist? I'm absolutely shit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: pharmacist-with-pills.jpg (78 KB, 1000x784) Image search: [Google]
pharmacist-with-pills.jpg
78 KB, 1000x784
How hard is it to become a pharmacist? I'm absolutely shit house at mathematics but my dad expects me to do something in the medical field because he is a doctor. I honestly have no idea what to do in life.
>>
Don't do it. Not worth it. There won't be jobs at all in a few years. Your professors and classes will teach you all this stuff like you're a doctor, but you get out into practice and realize how little say you have and how limited your scope of practice is. It's also completely filled with women (not a good thing). Nearly all techs are women and my class is probably 70% women. I have to put up with their conversations daily and it's driving me mad.

You don't need math really at all unless you go into compounding. Even then, it's just proportions, multiplication/division, and addition/subtraction. Keeping the numbers straight in your head is more important than the actual math.
>>
>>27459429
Thanks for the insight I'll think of something to do I'm 18 so I've got until I'm 20 to start University my parents said.
>>
>>27459491

I may as well post the pluses, then.

You do get it make a good chunk for relativity less responsibilities (legal, time) than a doctor. If you're a clinical pharmacist, you do get to do more like round with the physicians, and your skills and knowledge are genuinely valuable. You will likely make less than a retail pharmacist though.

Retail pharmacists have fewer responsibilities but deal with more inane shit. They do get paid more. Calling insurance, doctors who hate you, and patients who want their pills in 5 minutes are a common occurrence. You're also a retail drone, so you will be under corporate policy, like customer surveys and working on holidays (but you do that in a hospital anyway, so whatever I guess. It's more the principle.) it may be better in the future, but policies and cultures change very slowly.

Admittedly, there's a lot more different areas that pharmacists can work in, so Don't limit yourself to hospital or community. I need o say this though:

Do not go into any healthcare work for the money alone.

You will burn out and go insane. If you don't innately love thinking about drugs, patients, and navigating healthcare policies and regulations, none of this is for you. My education revolves around drugs (as you'd expect) literally 24/7. If you want to do medicine, expect nearly a decade of education and training. Even pharmacy is going that way too.
>>
It's a good way to have a secure life if you're not White. Which I assume you aren't. Cause White people do not become pharmacists.

There will always be jobs for it all over the world. Reason for this being is that not everyone can just sell prescription drugs. You will never be able to order it online. There needs to be a physical person with a degree that will approve the transfer of prescription drugs.
>>
>>27459955

Bullshit. This is the whitest profession I've ever seen. I'm in the Midwest, but even relative to other majors, my class is at least 85% white.
>>
>>27459955
I'm a White Australian but I read that here in Aus many have become pharmacists but can't get a job because the market is over-saturated.
>>
>>27459920
Thank you very much for this you've really given me a lot to think about.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.