[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is /gamedevelopment/ a meme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: ColourBooks.jpg (20 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
ColourBooks.jpg
20 KB, 400x400
So i see a lot of shti about stem being a meme and shit, and i just wondered, is the game development genre, the whole basis for making the games we play, a meme?
>>
>>27429530

If you focus on the development side I think you can still apply your degree to other computer science jobs. Most companies just make simulators anyway, which are essentially games.
>>
>>27429530
Stem being a meme is a meme, but being a game dev with a CS degree is harder than it looks

There are plenty of jobs and it's easier to find work with a STEM degree than any other focus that isn't education or physical therapy and the like
Nowadays, if you want the big bucks you have to be a great game dev, be willing to shill and hustle/jive for libjournobucks, or sell out and a ton of hollow games you can shit out in under half a day
Game Development is more like trying to survive as an artist rather than survive as a computer scientist
You have to find regular job that doesn't allow you to fully create what you want or you have to have a massive fanbase through marketing

But honestly, you might as well try
>>
>>27429632
I guess i could, but the way you say it makes it sound like you'd be in a worst position than artists, and they kind of have it bad already
>>
>>27429720
You would be in a worse position
At least artists can sell their work once they are finished
Unless you are also an artist (or find a creative way to work around your lack of art skils), you're dead in the water

Game programmers need artists to make games
It's fine if you're also an artist, but if not you have to compensate
>>
>>27429859
True, true, sucks really, imagine all the people who learn game development or whatever getting destroyed because they can't get a job
>>
Ghfgj
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.