[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can people REALLY change? I mean, not just their outward habits
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: 1354605612288.jpg (2 KB, 124x126) Image search: [Google]
1354605612288.jpg
2 KB, 124x126
Can people REALLY change? I mean, not just their outward habits and behaviors, but who and what they really are?

I'm pretty firmly of the opinion that by about high school your core personality & values are pretty firmly established and that from that point on anything that could be misconstrued as "change" is just you becoming a better or worse version of what you already are.
>>
You can't like, change on a very mass level. All the core will still be there, it's only the small things that will change..
>>
Add you get older you do have less opportunity to be a bad person. So "maturing" will make it seem like someone got their act together, but usually they are just a more polished lump of shit.

Like if you were a whore. After your 20s you really can't be going out partying all the time, so on the surface you're less of a whore. But given a whorish opportunity, you'll still whore it up. If that makes sense.
>>
File: I approve.jpg (29 KB, 474x595) Image search: [Google]
I approve.jpg
29 KB, 474x595
>>27428904
>by about high school your core personality & values are pretty firmly established

Well that's a crock of shit. At least push that up a bit to like university-age.

When I was 18 I was a punk rock anarchist who managed to steal a 9/10 from someone else, I was vegan and tried to get involved in all of the issues: save Palestine, save Tibet, save the Rainforest, save the Boreal Forest, ban guns, liberate political prisoners, etc. etc. etc.

Now I'm 30, the last time I was with a girl was 6 years ago, I stay inside and play video games and watch anime while listening to EDM and just watch the world burn because I 100% don't care about anything that has to do with politics or economics or society unless it extends to my doorstep, and I eat horse meat.
>>
>>27429338
>a 9/10 from someone else
a 9/10 girl.

Also by the time I was like 19-20 I was trying really hard to fit in (with the alternative/punk/metal/goth crowd), as well as with normies and make as many friends as possible.

I now have literally zero friends, I haven't gone out with friends since 2008. I also don't miss it.
>>
>>27428904

Who you are is the influence of your experiences, plus maybe some immutable something that predisposed you to react in certain ways to things early on in life. You never stop changing because you never stop having experiences, but as you go through life the weight of your past experiences is only moved with difficulty by new ones.
>>
>>27428904
So you can become "a better or worse version of what you already are", but that's not change? Even if it makes you different? I agree though that most people don't dramatically flip their entire personality, but small changes add up.
>>
>>27428904
>Can people REALLY change?

Yes, everyone else saying otherwise in this thread is either underage or hasn't had it happen to them yet. Big events can shift your whole mindset and state of being
>>
>>27428904
You can change, it takes work and motivation though. Which in most anons is almost non-existent.
>>
>>27429681
This is interesting. I'd be curious to know what big events could encourage me to change so completely.
>>
Well that's not really a question of opinion like, "I think this, but what do you guys think". It's a matter of neurological fact one way or the other. Probably nobody in this thread actually knows the answer, but I think it'd be really interesting to know if the scientific community has a consensus on this yet.

>>27429338
>I eat horse meat
Did you think you could just say that shit without expounding on it?
>>
>>27428904
There's a cliche that says when you visit your high school reunion, everyone is the same.

I think your best bet is drugs. If you feel different, you might do different things.
>>
>>27429926
Don't they always say that your brain doesn't develop fully until you're 25? Maybe that's the age where your personality gets more set in stone.

Also I'm not sure where he gets the horse meat and I'm not sure I want to know...
>>
File: stare.png (225 KB, 1024x618) Image search: [Google]
stare.png
225 KB, 1024x618
this is how I view it:

The capacity to make great changes to your self is a personal trait

some people have it, some don't.
so some people can change, but in a way, they're not actually changing because being able to change is part of who they are.

on the other hand, some people just can't change. you can tell them over and over how easy it is, but they don't have the same capacity you do. I think it comes down to genetics. if you look at people who are extremely stubborn, or unsuccessful in their attempts to change (always say they're going to, never do, always let themselves down), their parents will often be the same way.
>>
>>27429681
I'm 30 years old, and without a doubt the biggest realization I've come to as life events have piled up and they've offered me life lessons and insight into myself is that there are very real constants to who I am as a person. I find myself in many of the same situations, but in new ways that make them hard to recognize at first. I reach new conclusions about things, but usually for the same reasons as old ones. And when I do actively employ lessons I've learned or find myself acting in ways that are clearly reflective of radical shifts in thinking from recent years, I'm still conscientious of how these are mostly refinements and addendums to a core personality that is largely unwavering.
>>
>>27429837
Well for me personally, there was just some major things including spiritual experiences. Also just some other major changes in my life that happened had a similar effect

>>27430084
I get what you're saying and I kind of agree, but I think some things can shift your perspective so much that you almost become a whole new person
>>
>>27430164
That's really interesting--thank you for sharing!
>>
File: horse meat.jpg (66 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
horse meat.jpg
66 KB, 650x650
>>27429926
>Did you think you could just say that shit without expounding on it?

What do you mean senpai? I live in a part of the world where it's culturally acceptable, as well as legal and healthy, to do so.

I just get it from my local supermarket's "other meats" section, it's usually a horse flank steak or ground horse. It's fairly cheap and super lean & high in protein. It's bland on its own and can overcook super easily but when done right is a great meat.

I've also had kangaroo, ostrich, and elk.
>>
>>27430642
how did you stop being such a hippy vegan faggot?

did you try to convince other people to be vegan too?
>>
>>27430810
>how

how, or why?

The how was pretty easy, just start eating everything again.

The why was a few things...

For one thing the vegan community is absolutely toxic for the most part, behind the "save the planet" surface there lies just a negative condescending attitude. Not even towards non-vegans, towards other vegans. It's never enough, being a vegan was always a fucking contest and if one guy or girl was juuuust a bit more vegan than you, you were a piece of shit that was ruining the planet and stomping on baby bunnies.

It was just never enough. Eating bread that has not-vegan-certified sugar in it was just as bad as wearing a leather jacket, having honey in your tea was just as bad as eating lamb, etc.

Also because eating out at nay restaurant or fast food place (at the time) was a never ending ordeal, and I didn't want to the That Guy who makes a big fucking deal over what oil some french fries were cooked with or if the veggieburger was grilled on the same surface as meat burgers and make some 16 year old fast food worker's life even harder.

It also came with my general attitude towards life that I can't save everything and help everyone, I first have to help myself.

>did you try to convince other people to be vegan too?

A little bit but not really. At first I was like "oh hey I'm vegan now! Look at what I think is interesting" and then I would never bring it up again. If I met new people and ate food with them I'd get my vegan things and if they asked if I was on a diet or vegetarian something I'd say that I'm a vegan and talk a bit about why. I was never preachy about it though I hope.
>>
>>27428904
They can if they're not freudian mindless drones who only know how to act by the will of their animal drive.
>>
No.
As once said in GTA V, "Man, people don't fucking change!"
>>
>>27431093
Except that all the characters radically change at one point or another, especially with the 1 of 3 endings.
>>
>>27431402
Did they really? They're still just another gear in the hedonistic and narcissistic machine that is western society.
>>
>>27431465
The point of the game wasn't to drop out of society and live as a hunter-gatherer in the Amazon rainforest senpai
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.