[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any biofags want to explain a few things to a physicist ? 1.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: common-hackberry.jpg (202 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
common-hackberry.jpg
202 KB, 720x960
Any biofags want to explain a few things to a physicist ?

1. How do pinecones distrubute their seeds to grow? I dont see how they would penetrate the ground outside of some sort of eroding effect. Droppings wouldnt cut it.

2. How do trees regrow their leaves? Are there residual buds left over that are activated by a specific amount of lumens?

3. Where do all of the fallen leaves go, assuming an unassisted process by humanity such as compost and animal feed?

4. Have there been any seasonal deprivation experiments on trees that you can link me to that show tree behavior when deprived of sunlight (but supplied with all other variables) after winter ends?
>>
1 meh
2 how?
3 leaves rot and turn into earth
4 in summer trees can have water problems which gives a cracked texture on trunk

Meh
>>
>>27357717
>How do pinecones distrubute their seeds to grow?

when its hot they open up and the seeds fall on the ground :)
>>
>>27357717
1. When a pine cone reaches maturity in the fall it splits open and attached to the seed is a wing shaped thing that helps it get far away from its parent. Squirrels or whatever bury them for later and forget about some and they come up next year. Or they just land somewhere getting covered by leaves and other debris and then sprouting following spring.

2. Deciduous and coniferous plants form buds over the growing season which lye dormant over the winter or dry season. In tropical climates with year round rainfall, plants just continue growing and producing new leaves.

3. Fallen leaves land on the ground where mold, worms, bacteria and the elements break down to leaves into smaller matter which eventually becomes soil.

4. I don't know of any but a tree has usually enough stored energy to survive one growing season without adequate sunlight. It will still begin to bud if the temperature is warm enough. Plants cannot absorbed nutrients without photosynthesis to go with it for long. Leaves will turn white when not exposed to sunlight at all and die.It may go into a dormant state for up to 3 years depending on the species. The tree will slow down its cellular functions to conserve energy. If these conditions last for too long, the tree will eventually run out of stored energy and die.
>>
>>27359681
thanks, that helps
>>
>>27360221
WhY dOnT u StIcK a CoNe uP yEr aSs n C wHaT hApPeNs?
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.