[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there anything worse than flying in an airplane? >have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9
File: hqdefault (8).jpg (17 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (8).jpg
17 KB, 480x360
Is there anything worse than flying in an airplane?

>have to show up hours in advance and stand in lines, sit in giant open rooms with tons of people
>go through security and have people see all of your shit
>on the plane, sit in a cramped space and awkwardly avoid talking to people, might have to interact to get up and use the bathroom
>there is literally no escaping the plane with your life, your life is in some guy's hands that you don't even know

I'm going to be flying somewhere in a couple of weeks and I can't stop thinking about it. It fucking sucks. Any robots got any experience with flying? Any stories?
>>
>>27176435
Went to Florida for a week last month and I didn't have to wait longer than 20 mins for either all four flight (landed in jfk and got on another plane to Florida). Security was nothing and I didn't have to wait in any lines. Bigger planes are more comfortable but I just plugged by headphones into the tv jack and just chill for an hour or two. Not much different than taking a bus somewhere honestly
>>
File: pepe37.jpg (10 KB, 247x249) Image search: [Google]
pepe37.jpg
10 KB, 247x249
I used my neetbux to take a Japanese vacation late last year. Here is my story of flying nonstop from DC to Tokyo Narita, with 14 straight hours in the air.

>arrive at the airport, parents drop me off
>struggle with baggage
>drop baggage off at the front desk, its whisked away to god knows where
>make my way to security, where I wait for a good half hour in a line to get gate raped
>take off my shoes and empty my pockets to go through a scanner
>think about the cancer I'm probably getting as it scans me
>put my shoes back on and make my way to the terminal
>an ANA boeing 777 is waiting for me there, along with a crowd of people in the terminal both sitting down and lined up
>about half are actual Japanese, the others are people like me preparing for a vacation
>awkwardly find my place in general economy line after accidentally getting into the first class line
>eventually we board
>find my seat and hope some hambeast isn't sitting next to me
>eventually an older thin man sits down next to me
>I have a window seat, so only one person is sitting next to me
>try to hold back the anxiety and anticipation that overwhelm me when I realize I'm finally going to Japan
>the plane takes off
>have the wake the man next to me up to go to the bathroom
>three hours and one shitty in flight move pass
>wake the man up again to go to the bathroom
>tap at the entertainment screen a little bit, it has english and japanese language movies
>wake the man next to me up three hours later to go to the bathroom
>meals are served, they taste like shit
>the sun starts to come up, see the top of the clouds illuminate out the window
>comfy as fuck
>wake the man next to me up to go to the bathroom again
>eventually the plane arrives and lands at Narita international airport
>fill out the customs form and show my passport
>make my way to the baggage claim and collect my things

That's pretty much it. Unless you want to know how the rest of my vacation went.
>>
>>27176435
I've never had an issue at airports but the waiting does suck.
>>
>>27176491
I've never been on a bus, how does it compare and differ?
>>
>>27176575
I actually would like to hear about your vacation anon.
>>
I used to love flying when I only did it once a year. Now I sort of hate it, but it's not that big of a deal

I just hate that I can never fall asleep on a flight. If I could fall asleep anywhere like my brothers and dad can then I would love it.
>>
>>27176575
DID YOU GRT LAID IN NIPPON?

jk, I already know.
>>
File: pepe45.jpg (99 KB, 400x388) Image search: [Google]
pepe45.jpg
99 KB, 400x388
>>27176731
Okay, I'll summarize it

>collect my baggage, take a taxi from Narita to the hotel in Tokyo
>drop my stuff off in the room
>catch the train to Akihabara
>spend the day there, eating authentic ramen, buying weeb collectibles, and visiting an authentic maid cafe
>return to hotel and sleep
>day 2 comes around
>make my way to the fish markets on the coast, and observe one of the largest seafood markets in the world
>eat at a seafood restaurant on the coast twice
>return to hotel and sleep
>day 3 comes around
>go shrine crawling, visit different shrines around the city, stop at sushi places to eat
>day 4 comes around
>visit the Tokyo skytree and the Shiba district
>day 5
>collect my baggage and catch the train to Osaka
>visit Osaka castle
>visit Shitteno-ji
>day 6
>visit the national museum of art and the Osaka aquarium
>day 7
>catch the train to Kyoto
>spend four days in Kyoto, visiting temples and shrines as well as other cultural destinations
>day 11
>return to Tokyo via the train
>visit Nakano and Ikebukuro over the next two days
>make weeb purchases in those two destinations
>at the two week mark, my vacation draws to a close
>return to Narita with my bags in a taxi
>fly home to America

I had a great time. 10/10 would recommend to anyone with an interest in Japanese stuff.
>>
>>27176860
I summed up my vacation here >>27176864

I didn't try for prostitutes, though I'd heard on the internet that Japanese brothels don't allow foreigners in.
>>
>go through american customs
>you need to take your shoes off and clap twice
wtf america?
>>
File: qq.jpg (55 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
qq.jpg
55 KB, 645x773
>hate flying on planes despite my love for aviation
>21
>turbo manlet
>just over 140cm
>always carry a backpack because I can't afford to check in luggage
>always exhausted before even boarding the flight
>always forced to sit next to the largest motherfucker on the flight
>almost crushed to death on one occasion when a fat fuck fell on me while trying to get out from the window seat
>flight attendants scared a rib might be broken
>rushed to hospital after landing
>ended up spending the entire night getting x-rays and scans to check my organs
>didn't get any sleep
>discharged in the morning
>wanted to meet up with family but was too sleepy to do anything
>ended up going nocturnal for the entire holiday
>finally had to go home
>sat down at my seat
>some giant ass fat woman comes and sits next to me
>she eats the entire flight
>ended up sobbing myself to sleep for the three hour flight
Every fucking time some bullshit happens to me, it's always because I'm shorter than a fucking child.
>>
>>27176912
thanks for making my day a little brighter, anon
>>27176575
hey anon I flew ANA recently too. best airline Ive been on, but Ive only flown north american airlines before. but the stewardesses are actually legit nice and don't look grumpy and bitter like the american ones
>>
>>27176948
> I flew ANA recently too. best airline Ive been on

I'd say the experience was pretty positive too. Everyone was friendly, including the helpdesk thingy when I accidently got into the wrong line. The flight attendants were polite and the food was good enough considering it was airline food. I ordered the Japanese meals instead of the westernized ones like a good little weeb.
>>
>>27176986
I got the japanese meals too.

though I ended up staying in japanese onsens and country B&Bs and got to be sick of super traditional japanese food after a while. at the very least fish for breakfast really started to get to me

I had some really good hot pots and grilled meat though (osaka is the best for food)
>>
>>27176435
I love airplanes.
>Spend the night before meticulously packing and organizing your favourite things into your suit case
>Wear leggings, slippers and a hoodie to the airport, in sterile and hectic public environment feeling /comfy/
>Spend some time browsing gourmet $18 sandwiches and souvenirs
>Get a sexy pat from security
>That feeling when you're taking off and clutching onto your arm rests gently, seeing how quickly you ascend from the ground
>Spend comfy time watching movies and reading, eating little trail mix snacks casually while hurling 650MPH through the Earth's atmosphere in a hunk of metal
>Looking out of the window and seeing how small our planet is, contemplating that
>Go shit 30,000 feet above every ground toilet you've ever used, into a cool space-looking toilet
>Literally have servants trained to bring you juice, a little button to summon your juice slaves
I'm sorry but is there anything LESS exciting than a plane ride? no.
>>
>not going full Shinji with a music player
>not being able to fall asleep immediately on the plane even before it takes off
>not being able to wake up in slight differences in pressure as plane's landing
>immediately sprint to connection flight to do the whole thing again with minimal eye contact

The worst is when flight attendants/'helpful' passengers wake you up when the attendants are going by with food or drinks. Because then you have to deal with them after sleeping and are stuck with jet engines full blast while you are trying to go back to sleep.

>>27176864
do you know any moonspeak? if you don't, how hard was it for you?
>>
>>27177026
Not to mention the fucking mesmerizing spinning conveyor belt, straight out of The Jetsons, that brings you your suitcase.
>>
>>27176864
That sounds like a comfy solo holiday.
>>
>>27176435
>there is literally no escaping the plane with your life, your life is in some guy's hands that you don't even know

It's the same if you're in a car and not the driver
>>
>>27177046
>do you know any moonspeak? if you don't, how hard was it for you?

My knowledge of Japanese is limited, but not nonexistent. I know a few words and phrases that came in handy. I didn't leave the largest cities though, and almost every place had signs in english. Most of the servers at the restaurants knew some degree of english too, which helped. The only time I had difficulty was with the cab driver that picked me up at the airport, I had to point on a map where I wanted to go. Luckily I had studied my travel plans thoroughly before leaving.

>>27177085
It was extremely comfy. I recommend it for anyone on here looking to travel abroad.
>>
>>27177026
>shitting in that toilet
>ever
>implying organization survives first contact with TSA

I used to work ground crew and part of our jobs was to clean the toilets. Or not. A culture for the bacteria that thrives on used diapers and feminine products. Airplanes are disgusting, luggage is treated like shit, and TSA will spitefully steal your good tourist loot.
>>
>>27177120
its stainless steel anyways. not like any bacterial cultures can survive on that
>>
File: 1456043004306.jpg (52 KB, 600x596) Image search: [Google]
1456043004306.jpg
52 KB, 600x596
>have to puke
>don't quite make it in time
>little trail of puke on the hallway
>stacey flight attendant has to clean it up
>spent the next 3 hours feeling general disgust towards me from the whole plane
>later fap to the memory of stacey crawling on the floor cleaning up my puke
Overall about a 6/10 experience.
>>
>>27177147
there's a floor and a trash bin and some kid or slob will piss everywhere at least once per day.
>>
File: Airplane-toilet-594665.jpg (28 KB, 590x350) Image search: [Google]
Airplane-toilet-594665.jpg
28 KB, 590x350
>>27177120
>>27177147
I think you have to be allergic to fun to not be even slightly excited about shitting in the highest up available toilet ever at least once.
>>27177178
I'm the kid.
>>
>>27176435
I love flying in planes. I love being at the airport too. I like going to the restaurants there, shitposting while I eat, then going into a little shop before my flight. I made sure to use the bathroom before the flight, then I put my headphones in. During the flight I just look out the window. And also I like the food on the plane. I just love being up in the air.
>>
OP here

There's wi-fi on airplanes now right?
>>
>>27177310
I'm the Japanese vacation guy.

ANA had wifi on the flights I took. I had my smartphone with me so that helped to pass the time.
>>
>>27177333
>I'm the Japanese vacation guy.
HIROSHIMA NAGASAKI
>>
I don't know how people who routinely travel for work or are pilots can stand it. I've had three 15+ hour flights in my life and it is literally hell.
>>
>>27177372
Ebin meme friendo desu :^)
>>
>Is there anything worse than flying in an airplane?
Yeah, taking the bus.

It's like flying in an airplane, but you're on the ground and going slower than if you just drove yourself.
>>
>>27176575

That doesn't sound so bad. I flew to Okinawa starting from Louisiana. I would've preferred a straight shot, but we had 3 stops total including a 1 night layover. Once you're up in the air you can usually somewhat manage to get at least comfortable enough to sleep, but when you're back on the ground waiting to get on the next plane, the anticipation becomes awful.
>>
File: 1300044776986[1].jpg (17 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1300044776986[1].jpg
17 KB, 250x250
>not flying middle/business class do you don't end up sitting next to smelly, fat or otherwise disgusting people

Never been on a flight longer than 4 hours, but if I did, would only do first class so I can actually use the fully reclining seats to go to sleep in. Or alternately because I'm not a richfag, break up trip where I stay overnight at places along the way so I don't have to be on a plane for more than 4 hours at a time.
>>
>>27177435
But you can actually get out and get some fresh air at some stops. On a plane there's no escape and there's just something about being thousands of feet above the earth that fucks me up
>>
>>27176435
My family has our own jet [a Harker]
We never had to line up
>>
>>27176912
>just over 140 cm
I'm 150 cm, which is 4'9, and man that made me laugh. Nice to know there are people more pathetic than I am.
>>
>junior year of high school
>went to march in Chicago with the band
>flu spread throughout the band
>i was one of the first people to catch it
>may have even been patient zero
>helicopter mom goes to Chicago to see the parade
>band leadership decides to leave me with her
>fast forward to the trip home
>literally collapse in the airport
>band chaperones say i have low blood sugar so they dont bar me from the plane
>airport employees force me to eat a bag of trail mix to "get my blood sugar back up"
>stand up after finishing to show everyone im good now
>i feel like im dying
>get on the plane
>literally stuck between two hamplanets, one of whom is a band member
>hamplanet who is unaffiliated with the band learns that most of the teenagers on the plane have the flu
>try sleeping but the man next to me is literally spilling into my seat with his fat
>unable to get any rest at all because im being crushed by fat
>>
>>27177565
When it's taken two days to get from new york to michigan and you aren't even a quarter of the way to your destination you'll start to reconsider senpai.
>>
>>27176912

Nah man

>have to get scanned
>while getting scanned the girls looking at the screen laughed
>>
>>27177628
Longest for me was Bakersfield, CA to Seattle, WA. Took a little over 24 hours and even that was pretty bad so you've got a point. That sounds fucking terrible
>>
>>27177551
>he has an extra 2000 dollars to throw away on flying first class on an international flight
must be nice
>>
File: image_8.jpg (85 KB, 647x955) Image search: [Google]
image_8.jpg
85 KB, 647x955
I hate airplanes. I have acrophobia and I used to fly a lot. I'd have a panic attack every flight, shaking uncontrollably, possibly vomiting. The worst, though is that literally everybody makes it worse. The first time I flew I had a passive aggressive gay asian as a flight attendant, he didn't help at all. I flew kind of frequently because I had family troubles in Ireland and begged my mom to get me medicated but she never would, because I was just "working myself up"
>>
>>27176912
you're 20cm too short to be a turbo manlet, you are just a tiny midget.
>>
>>27177884
Did your doctor give you meds to take before the flight? I took four klonopins before boarding the plane and they served to numb out my anxieties before they had a chance to peak on the flight.
>>
>>27177551
>throwing away thousands of dollars for a few hours of extra comfort

The jews love good goys like you.
>>
>American Airlines

Never again
>>
>>27176575
>going to the bathroom 4 times in 14 hours

do you have a bladder problem or were you literally drinking non stop
>>
Pilot here

Flying from Chicago to Tokyo later this month. Non stop first class for $500. Get my own pod and don't have to see a single person the whole flight

Namaste
>>
>>27178544
I have a small bladder. Going 4 times in 14 hours isn't abnormal for me, I actually limited the amount I drank beforehand to keep it that low.
>>
>>27176435
I've never been on a big plane, but I have flown on my neighbor's 10 seater plane a few times. It was pretty fun, except for the pressure. One of my ears won't really adjust right.
>>
>>27178403
No. He offered, but my mother said no, and I was underaged at the time
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.