[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
its over
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 15
File: 2136.jpg (9 KB, 267x181) Image search: [Google]
2136.jpg
9 KB, 267x181
they found out

>tfw 99

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/beautiful-minds/23-signs-youe28099re-secretly-a-narcissist-masquerading-as-a-sensitive-introvert/
>>
>blogs
meh no thanks.
>>
/r9k/ in a nutshell.

I've always considered the self-pitying and whiny attitude most posters adopt here as nothing but conceited narcissism.
>>
>>25540764
1 = very uncharacteristic or untrue, strongly disagree
2 = uncharacteristic
3 = neutral
4 = characteristic
5 = very characteristic or true, strongly agree

---

___ I can become entirely absorbed in thinking about my personal affairs, my health, my cares or my relations to others.
___ My feelings are easily hurt by ridicule or the slighting remarks of others.
___ When I enter a room I often become self-conscious and feel that the eyes of others are upon me.
___ I dislike sharing the credit of an achievement with others.
___ I feel that I have enough on my hand without worrying about other people's troubles.
___ I feel that I am temperamentally different from most people.
___ I often interpret the remarks of others in a personal way.
___ I easily become wrapped up in my own interests and forget the existence of others.
___ I dislike being with a group unless I know that I am appreciated by at least one of those present.
___ I am secretly "put out" or annoyed when other people come to me with their troubles, asking me for their time and sympathy.
___ I am jealous of good-looking people.
___ I tend to feel humiliated when criticized.
___ I wonder why other people aren't more appreciative of my good qualities.
___ I tend to see other people as being either great or terrible.
___ I sometimes have fantasies about being violent without knowing why.
___ I am especially sensitive to success and failure.
___ I have problems that nobody else seems to understand.
___ I try to avoid rejection at all costs.
___ My secret thoughts, feelings, and actions would horrify some of my friends.
___ I tend to become involved in relationships in which I alternately adore and despise the other person.
___ Even when I am in a group of friends, I often feel very alone and uneasy.
___ I resent others who have what I lack.
___ Defeat or disappointment usually shame or anger me, but I try not to show it.
>>
I blame the tactlessness of younger, /soc/-tier narcissists for giving our secret away
>>
>>25540811
>If you thought on some each of these, "Oh dear lord, that's sooooo me," don't panic. As I mentioned, there's some overlap between this scale and other tests that measure introversion and sensitivity. In a recent study conducted on college students, the average score on this scale was in the mid-upper 60s. So if your score hovered around that range, you're about average in covert narcissism. If your score was below 40, you scored very low in covert narcissism.
>If, however, your score was 82 and above, you scored high in covert narcissism. And if your score was above 97, well, you might want to own yourself as a card-carrying covert narcissist, instead of constantly telling people to stop criticizing you because your sensitive, introverted soul can't handle it.
>>
I've had this sneaking suspicion that I'm probably a closet narcissist that gets off on being a quiet introverted mystery-being, and this is only helping to confirm that

Fuck
>>
>>25540764
>the 'introversion is just selfish' meme
Magnificent
>>
what's wrong with being a narcissist?
>>
>>25540938

> I often interpret the remarks of others in a personal way.
>>
35 reporting in.

bloxbl0xblox
>>
>>25540811
>literally over 100
>>
>>25540971
Nothing.

But normies would have you think otherwise.
>>
File: sweatingp pepe.jpg (16 KB, 200x189) Image search: [Google]
sweatingp pepe.jpg
16 KB, 200x189
>>25540811
>98

Fuck, is that high score on this?
>>
>>25541175
>And if your score was above 97, well, you might want to own yourself as a card-carrying covert narcissist, instead of constantly telling people to stop criticizing you because your sensitive, introverted soul can't handle it.
>>
File: pepe hands.jpg (15 KB, 400x387) Image search: [Google]
pepe hands.jpg
15 KB, 400x387
>>25541213
Well this is depressing, what can be done about this even. I've tried therapy for years but it hasn't helped.
>>
>>25540971

Narcissists are faggots.
>>
File: image_3.jpg (24 KB, 334x290) Image search: [Google]
image_3.jpg
24 KB, 334x290
>lvl 100 covert-narcissist here according to test
Kek Nobody give a shit about this anyhow. No one is gonna go around saying "he's really shy and quiet bc he's a narcissist". The loud, Chad like narcissists will always have spot light, so honestly, who gives a flying fuck about this article or this personality test.
>>
>>25540971
entitled special snowflakes, self-righteous, can't handle criticism, project their faults onto others, lack empathy and more.
>>
>>25541381
at least they're honest
>>
File: 1446512563201.gif (150 KB, 245x320) Image search: [Google]
1446512563201.gif
150 KB, 245x320
>>25541247
Don't fall for their tricks
there's nothing wrong with narcissism, it's a meaningless label meant to keep you from reaching your potential.
modern psychology isn't some all encompassing field with all the answers, it merely creates categories with loose criterion in order to get individuals to conform to some 'ideal' model of ethics.
>>
I did this last night, scored 93.
>>
>>25540764

This is literally a very bad test. It intersects social anxiety, having a "pleasing" personality, actually being sensitive and having rage issues.

Take this, then also take the Mach-IV and post both scores.

http://personality-testing.info/tests/MACH-IV.php

I am one of the only people I've seen that scores 98 on the Mach-IV.
>>

>>25541437
Why lacking empathy is bad?
>>
seems like having depression would account for many of the things on the list
>>
>tfw therapy revealed to me I was a fucking narcissist years ago

all introverts just care about themselves, I have never been able to put myself in someone else's shoes
>>
>>25541531

I score 49 on that CN test btw.
>>
File: 983.jpg (14 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
983.jpg
14 KB, 320x320
>>25541531
>86

what now

original post i swear
>>
>>25541573
Does cheating bother you?
>>
File: 1449539049630.jpg (71 KB, 396x385) Image search: [Google]
1449539049630.jpg
71 KB, 396x385
>>25540971
Nothing--as long as you keep it to yourself.

"Solitude is the sole condition of life which gives full play to that feeling of exclusive importance which every man has in his own eyes,as if he were the only person in the world! a feeling which, in the throng and press of real life, soon shrivels up to nothing, getting, at every step, a painful dmenti. From this point of view it may be said that solitude is the original and natural state of man, where, like another Adam, he is as happy as his nature will allow."
>>
>>25541651
What do you mean? I'm probably retarded, so I don't understand this question.
>>
>>25541692
Image you have a gf (yeah I know, /r9k/). How would you feel if she cheated on you? Why should she care?
>>
File: stereotypes and social sciences.png (1 MB, 1464x3524) Image search: [Google]
stereotypes and social sciences.png
1 MB, 1464x3524
>he still trusts psychologists

"... out of 100 psychological studies, only about 30%-50% could be replicated."
>>

It's a fair cop.
>>
>>25541648

Try to be less horribly acerbically cynical. I don't think there's a different sort of way out of it.

One hack is, I think, to simply disregard the practicality of action and simply choose to act randomly or whimsically to some degree. I've had some success with this, since part of the problem seems to be that I'm just too calculating.
>>
Normies just like to believe the fault lies with the introverts, when in reality the introverts have done nothing wrong. It's self-justification. "How could they suffer for no reason? Life is fair and fun for me because I'm a good person! It must be their fault!"
>>
>What is Avoidant Personality Disorder
>What is extremely low self-esteem and hypersensitivity to rejection formed after a lifetime of failure and being told you're defective
>"Nah, bro, you're like, totes a narcissist! The fact that you put up garbage bags on your windows and are terrified of other people just means you're totally self-absorbed!"
Fuck off.
>>
>>25541873

APD is narcissism, though.

Fear of rejection and for your safety is a self centered behavior
>>
File: dvbce.png (150 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
dvbce.png
150 KB, 400x300
>>25540811
4 I can become entirely absorbed in thinking about my personal affairs, my health, my cares or my relations to others.
5 My feelings are easily hurt by ridicule or the slighting remarks of others.
4 When I enter a room I often become self-conscious and feel that the eyes of others are upon me.
1 I dislike sharing the credit of an achievement with others.
1 I feel that I have enough on my hand without worrying about other people's troubles.
2 I feel that I am temperamentally different from most people.
4 I often interpret the remarks of others in a personal way.
2 I easily become wrapped up in my own interests and forget the existence of others.
1 I dislike being with a group unless I know that I am appreciated by at least one of those present.
1 I am secretly "put out" or annoyed when other people come to me with their troubles, asking me for their time and sympathy.
1 I am jealous of good-looking people.
3 I tend to feel humiliated when criticized.
1 I wonder why other people aren't more appreciative of my good qualities.
1 I tend to see other people as being either great or terrible.
2 I sometimes have fantasies about being violent without knowing why.
2 I am especially sensitive to success and failure.
4 I have problems that nobody else seems to understand.
2 I try to avoid rejection at all costs.
1 My secret thoughts, feelings, and actions would horrify some of my friends.
1 I tend to become involved in relationships in which I alternately adore and despise the other person.
4 Even when I am in a group of friends, I often feel very alone and uneasy.
4 I resent others who have what I lack.
2 Defeat or disappointment usually shame or anger me, but I try not to show it.

>TOT: 53

Daily reminder that if you're narcissistic you're a covert normie and should gtfo
also check em
>>
>>25541873
>What is Avoidant Personality Disorder
>What is extremely low self-esteem and hypersensitivity to rejection formed after a lifetime of failure and being told you're defective
that's narcissism
>>
What if I'm an blunt insensitive introvert?
>>
>>25540971
can't dodge the rodge amirite
>>
I got 69. Makes sense.
>>
>>25540811
___ I can become entirely absorbed in thinking about my personal affairs, my health, my cares or my relations to others.
___ My feelings are easily hurt by ridicule or the slighting remarks of others.
___ When I enter a room I often become self-conscious and feel that the eyes of others are upon me.
___ I dislike sharing the credit of an achievement with others.
___ I feel that I have enough on my hand without worrying about other people's troubles.
___ I feel that I am temperamentally different from most people.
___ I often interpret the remarks of others in a personal way.
___ I easily become wrapped up in my own interests and forget the existence of others.
___ I dislike being with a group unless I know that I am appreciated by at least one of those present.
___ I am secretly "put out" or annoyed when other people come to me with their troubles, asking me for their time and sympathy.
___ I am jealous of good-looking people.
___ I tend to feel humiliated when criticized.
___ I wonder why other people aren't more appreciative of my good qualities.
___ I tend to see other people as being either great or terrible.
___ I sometimes have fantasies about being violent without knowing why.
___ I am especially sensitive to success and failure.
___ I have problems that nobody else seems to understand.
___ I try to avoid rejection at all costs.
___ My secret thoughts, feelings, and actions would horrify some of my friends.
___ I tend to become involved in relationships in which I alternately adore and despise the other person.
___ Even when I am in a group of friends, I often feel very alone and uneasy.
___ I resent others who have what I lack.
___ Defeat or disappointment usually shame or anger me, but I try not to show it.

Haven't added it up but I guess I have Narcissistic Personality Disorder according to some shit blog.
Yay. Now to Tumblr.
>>
>>25542385
>>25541531

runrunrun
>>
>>25542633

its the scientific american mag, isnt that legit?
>>
>bitches love narcissistic guys
Does this really mean if us robots were justbourselves, we would get gfs?

You mean I wasted 27 years of my life because i had to fake being some quite beta, when I was alpha all along?
>>
File: 1446681954234.png (29 KB, 432x555) Image search: [Google]
1446681954234.png
29 KB, 432x555
>>25542725
>its the scientific american mag, isnt that legit?
don't trust anything except published firsthand studies that can be replicated
all news outlets have bias, no exceptions
>>
55 and I'm a normie.
>>
>>25541766
I would feel bad, yes, but that would be true even if i didn't lack empathy. At least i won't feel bad if I cheat on her, like a normal person would. In other words:
>Normie: 0/2
>Narcissist: 1/2
>>
>>25542852
seems to be legit

http://www.midss.org/maladaptive-covert-narcissism-scale-mcns
>>
_5_ I can become entirely absorbed in thinking about my personal affairs, my health, my cares or my relations to others.
_2_ My feelings are easily hurt by ridicule or the slighting remarks of others.
_1_ When I enter a room I often become self-conscious and feel that the eyes of others are upon me.
_1_ I dislike sharing the credit of an achievement with others.
_3_ I feel that I have enough on my hand without worrying about other people's troubles.
_4_ I feel that I am temperamentally different from most people.
_2_ I often interpret the remarks of others in a personal way.
_5_ I easily become wrapped up in my own interests and forget the existence of others.
_5_ I dislike being with a group unless I know that I am appreciated by at least one of those present.
_2_ I am secretly "put out" or annoyed when other people come to me with their troubles, asking me for their time and sympathy.
_5_ I am jealous of good-looking people.
_4_ I tend to feel humiliated when criticized.
_1_ I wonder why other people aren't more appreciative of my good qualities.
_1_ I tend to see other people as being either great or terrible.
_1_ I sometimes have fantasies about being violent without knowing why.
_3_ I am especially sensitive to success and failure.
_4_ I have problems that nobody else seems to understand.
_5_ I try to avoid rejection at all costs.
_1_ My secret thoughts, feelings, and actions would horrify some of my friends.
_1_ I tend to become involved in relationships in which I alternately adore and despise the other person.
_1_ Even when I am in a group of friends, I often feel very alone and uneasy.
_5_ I resent others who have what I lack.
_4_ Defeat or disappointment usually shame or anger me, but I try not to show it.

>>
>>25542955
this study merely states that this current test has high reliability with another test of similar criteria, not whether or not it is a valid categorical system
even it is a valid categorical system, that's all it is, a way to organize people into neat little boxes so they can be dealt with in a clinical setting.
The label is only meaningful if you accept it as being part of your own personality
>>
>Normies expecting me to stop being a narcissist

Why would I ever do that
>>
>>25542852

Even then be skeptical, there are a lot of bad studies out there and the peer reviewed journals and scientific community in general are also full of bias, infighting, competition for grant money etc., massive egos. Just because a studies COULD be replicated doesn't mean anyone has tried, and just because they have tried doesn't mean that anyone has paid attention. Plenty of bad studies go on to be canon even though independent followup studies have partially or fully discredited them.

For example:
-The whole idea of the ALPHA MALE in a wolf pack is based on one study from the 50s of a single pack kept in captivity in overcrowded conditions, for example, and there's very little evidence to support it; it hasn't been in wide use in the actual research community for decades, it's pretty much only a pop-psych meme at this point.

-The serotonin model of depression. There's robably a link between depression and seratonin levels but the evidence that it's causal rather than correlative (i.e. that a seratonin imbalance CAUSES depression). It jsut happened that a high profile study that suggested the possibility of a causal relationship was completed around the same time that the first generation of SSRI's were patented and one or two of the biggest drug companies saw an opportunity to market them as antidepressants. To this day there's still not much conclusive evidence that they're actually doing anything to treat depression but they're one of the most profitable class of drug out there.
>>
>>25543223
I completely agree
the only way to ensure that you're getting good information is to read through the studies and consider any flaws in their method
>>
>>25540811
This is all really common stuff
Smells like bullshit to me
>>
>scored 69
I actually am an introvert. I just don't really like being around people, and I'm under no illusions that I'm anything other than terrible.
>>
94, welp, guess I'm a narcissist.
>>
>While Grandiosity-Exhibitionism was associated with extraversion, aggressiveness, self-assuredness, and the need to be admired by others, Vulnerability-Sensitivity was associated with introversion, hypersensitivity, defensiveness, anxiety, and vulnerability. Further research by Jonathan Cheek and Jennifer Odessa Grimes at Wellesley College found a moderate correlation between covert narcissism and the Highly Sensitive Person Scale developed by Elaine Aron.

sounds like /r9k/
>>
so "nice guys" are really just covert narcissists?
>>
>>25541573
you might as well be an animal if you have no empathy, even dogs care for each other
>>
File: 1447599006741.jpg (11 KB, 250x231) Image search: [Google]
1447599006741.jpg
11 KB, 250x231
>We're sorry, the page you were looking for could not be found.
>>
>>25544584
Why though? You haven't said it yet.
>>
>>25542725
>scientific american
This article along with countless others is literally the same quality as I've seen on Gawker. It's psuedo-science with no sources, and a clickbait title to boot.
>>25542852
Yep.
>>
>>25544686
cuz there is nothing wrong with it. I just wont have any respect for you
>>
I don't even care at this point, how are any more ebin self diagnoses going to change anything? Narcissist, avoidant personality disorder, borderline personality disorder, schizoid, depressive, ADHD... fucking who cares. All I know is I'm a piece of shit, discovering new ways to label myself as a more distinct piece of shit means nothing. It's not even like the treatment is different for most of these things. If you've done CBT, been on SSRIs, benzos, and maybe an antipsychotic or two, then congrats, you've already done it all.
>>
I got 68

WHAT DOES IT MEAN ?
>>
>>25540811
>___ I am especially sensitive to success and failure.
that's how you know something is total bullshit
who the fuck isn't "especially sensitive" about something as vague as success and failure
>>
>>25541873
If you think that everyone is out to judge you, that they care so much about you to evaluate every tiny little action you make like waiting in line at a supermarket, then yeah that's probably covert narcissism. People don't care about you in general.
>>
>>25545000
Trips of truth confirm
>>
Great!!

Now that I know what's wrong with me, I can get bettter.
>>
File: 1449697102808.jpg (57 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1449697102808.jpg
57 KB, 800x600
>>25540764

>tfw you're a smug covert narcissist and introfag
>>
>>25540764

>it's another "introverts are evil and digusting individuals who should be shunned and scorned and purged from the world" article

I long for the day when introversion will be recognised as the mental illness it is and so given proper treatment, rather than being seen as a conscious personality choice indicative of evil morals on the part of the sufferer.
>>
>>25541486
my nigga, you know what the fuck you're talking about
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.