[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any robots here literally unable to understand calculus? Is it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 546786h265fd.png (660 KB, 1106x1012) Image search: [Google]
546786h265fd.png
660 KB, 1106x1012
Any robots here literally unable to understand calculus?
Is it possible to pass a math heavy subject in college just by memorizing the steps needed to solve a problem without actually understanding what the hell you are doing?
>>
>>25466896
Memorizing the process is all you need. What you need to develop is the method to sift out the bullshit in the word problems and organize the necessary data to find the answer.

Calculus is painted as hard by media, but it really ain't. Numbers do not lie- the number is the number. Once you have the numbers, it's just a matter of plugging them into the correct places of an equation.
>>
Memorization is bad. The problem is schools promote learning through memorization and not true understanding.

Explore books on calculus, you can find them in PDF format with Google or getting a torrent. Do a Google search for recommended self learning mathematics books.

Its difficult because you don't understand. There are holes in your foundation. That's just my opinion, though. Lots of people say they suck at math, and just accept it, when in reality they just don't have an understanding of the material, and have forgotten everything prior because they simply memorized.
>>
calculus is easy. area under curve is an integral. derivative is rate of change of rate of change. all you need to know
>>
>>25466896
Math major here. A lot of people dismiss things they don't understand instantly. Math tends to be one of those things.

It'll be okay OP. Work hard. Practice.
>>
>>25467415

CS dropout here:

But people don't "work hard" in the right way.

They don't work towards comprehension, they work towards memorization.

This is literally why people think math or abstract computer programming is hard.
>>
>>25466896
Pretty much. I also feel not learning calculus took me down a path to complete misery and not being able to provide for myself. If I had learned calculus, then I might have a half-decent job by now and have enough money to take vacations or buy hookers or something.

>Had trouble with HS pre-calc
>got B to B+ in it
>had TERRIBLE time in high school AP calc.
>almost passed calc at community college, but failed final.
>decided I didnt want to major in chemistry anyway because uninterested in it. Found lab work work more tedious and more boring than problems in the book. Didnt want to do that the rest of my life.
>Decided to major in political science instead.
>Only math class I had to take was statistics. Got an A, never took a math class again.
>fast forward 9 years
>28 and still a permavirgin that has no career, no money, no friends, and no gf.
>>
>>25466896
bumping thsi thread. RESPOND OP
>>
>tfw I suck at calculus
>tfw somehow passed the exam worth 50% of my grade because I taught myself integration the night before, and the exam was mostly integration and abstract problems
>tfw actually got a good grade

I feel like one of these days my luck is going to run out
>>
>>25466896
bumping again

RESPOND TO OUR POSTS OP

REEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
>>
>>25467931
yeah im here
What i don't get about calculus is what the hell they are asking of me.
So i need to calculate the slope in a curve, cool.
But then they tell me you can zoom in indefinetely, and give some bullshit answer like (change in y devided by change in x) or some shit. What the hell is this? thats not an answer.
I don't understand how much i have to ''zoom in'' on that point, where do i stop?

And also, i don't know how any of this relates to the process that they have thought me

hope i made myself clear, i find it hard to explain such things
>>
>>25468579
>calculating the slope at a particular point in the curve
>(Change in y devided by change in x) as it aproaches 0
>>
>>25467674
degree doesnt matter
get IT certs; ccna, sec+, ceh
make $100k+
your welcome
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.